Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's ironic here is that the Nuggets' 3PA rate as a team, 35.4%, is 26th in the league and only 0.2% ahead of #28 New Orleans. Even last year they were #21 at 36.1%.

The Spurs are #10 at 40.6% this season fwiw, while being #27 at 34.8% last season.
    That's because their highest usage players, Jokic and to a lesser extent Murray, aren't high volume 3-point shooters.

For once, the 3PA rate isn't bad for the Spurs highest usage players, but as usual the % is.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Nuggets are arguably the team that the Spurs should mirror in the future. Wemby, like Jokic, is not the quickest player out there and is likely to have endurance issues if he was forced to be on a running team. Normally, a team with volume shooters have faster pace to take advantage of said shooters. If we look at their starters and 3 pt attempts:

Jokic - 3.2
    KCP - 3.5
    Gordon - 2.0
    Porter - 7.1
    Murray - 5.7

obviously, the 4-5+ 3pa’s was just an arbitrary number I put out there but the Nuggets only have 3 volume shooters (if we say that three 3 pt attempts a game is a volume shooter) and they are very successful. So… a good team in 2024 can get it done without 4 volume 3 pt shooters in their line up since a team won a championship in 2023 without meeting that criteria.

I guess this sort of fits as a response to TD 21 so I’m tagging you too.
    It also helps that Jokic is the best offensive center in NBA history. Idk if Wemby can be Jokic level on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lopsided return only insofar as the presumed enrichment in value if any of the lifted protections on the pick. You have to pay for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with the NBA...and most of its fans it seems...is the obsession with "shooting" and offense.

I could give a damn whether Dunn can shoot a 3 or not. His Defense is next level. Everyone on the SPURS right now are supposed "shooters" and offense guys. There ain't a Defensive guy on the team, except Wemby. Where has that got us? Bottom of the league.

The problem with the Spurs ain't shooting or offense. We don't need "better" shooters. Everyone on the Spurs right now think they're a scorer...when most are not. Vassell and Wemby are the only legit scorers. I'd trade Keldon for Dunn in a heartbeat. We need less shooters. But, what we really need is Defense and more BBIQ. DUNN has both. And guess what happens when you have DUNN and WEMBY inside? The other 3 players don't have to collapse on defense anymore. They can stay outside and actually guard the 3 point line.

This game ain't hard folks.

And, coincidentally...that's the main problem with the NBA today overall. Everyone is looking for the next Curry. The game has really suffered as a result...and the SPURS are the poster child
    You have not been paying attention to the last 8 years of the NBA, since the rule change in 2015, outlawing fighting thru screens, making everything a switch. If you can’t shoot, you can’t start in the NBA, unless you are an elite rim runner/shot blocker center.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PG13 is old, though.
    He’s also a playoff choker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might be the best American HS player since Anthony Davis. I would kill to have him on the Spurs, as he and Vic together would turn the clock back on the league to 1999. But not willing to waste another year of Victor's career for a shot at him.
    We don’t have to if ATL sucks next year. I guess it depends what they want for Dejounte,picks or players. If they go picks to replenish their stock, they’ll be bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As mentioned before, Spurs always have that defensive catalyst during their championship years, Sean Ninja Elliot, Bruce Bowen, Danny Green/Kawhi. I think it is not too late to make Sochan that guy, instead of making him a Boris type connector. Sochan already have the catch-and-shoot 3’s (should get better), but he needs to focus on his lateral speed to stay in front. Lately Pop, at least the last two games he put Wesley on Ja and Dame, but more of lack of personnel, but Wesley has been great if he could only make a leap offensively and passing wise. I’m still hoping that Sochan could be that POA defender he was advertised to be.

I’m getting the impression that Wemby would like to be a lot compe ive next year. That would mean a veteran PG at the helm. Sochan seems still too short at PF. I really would like Sarr at 1st pick to help Wemby defensively, and Topic at TOR pick to play PG-in-training. I’m not even opposed to CP3 at this point to throw those lob passes to Wemby and Sarr!

CP3 / Topic / Tre
    Vassell / Champagnie
    Sochan / Keldon (Manu role)
    Sarr / Collins
    Wemby / Bassey

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree 100%, and hopefully the FO is thinking this way too. The only picks "off limits" for me are our pick this year, the Atlanta picks ('25, '27), and our picks in the years we have Atlanta ('26), Boston ('28) and Dallas swaps ('30).

That means, I'd have the following to play with

TOR '24
    CHI '25
    CHA '25 (don't think this is worth much)
    SA '25
    SA '27
    SA '29
    SA '31 (not sure if you can trade these yet)
    This can’t be traded at the deadline, but can in the new FA/trade season in July.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree 100%, and hopefully the FO is thinking this way too. The only picks "off limits" for me are our pick this year, the Atlanta picks ('25, '27), and our picks in the years we have Atlanta ('26), Boston ('28) and Dallas swaps ('30).

That means, I'd have the following to play with

TOR '24
    CHI '25
    CHA '25 (don't think this is worth much)
    SA '25
    SA '27
    SA '29
    SA '31 (not sure if you can trade these yet)
    If I can get Bridges I'll give up the Atlanta 25 and our 25. Outside of that not many players I'd give up either of the 25 picks for though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One is not nearly enough. You need at least 3-4 credible 3-point threats among your best lineup(s) today.Sochan (slow release, % inflated due to combination of low volume and shooting wide open catch and shoot) types don't qualify. A threat is someone defenses won't disregard to pack the paint.
    Agreed. Hitting open threes is nice but teams leave players like that open consistently because they are willing to risk him hitting a few threes if it means they can pack the paint. Not only that but sometimes those players hesitate to shoot, which combined with slow releases makes it easy to close out. The worst-case scenario is Sochan going 3-3 but it's worth it if the opposing team can swarm Wemby.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it isn't because Johnson, while better suited to being a 6th man, is at least a starting caliber player. They have no such option at lead guard.

The latter doesn't necessarily have to come through the draft though.

Their number one goal should be trying to trade for Mitc this off season. They can easily outbid the rumored teams (Heat, Nets, Knicks), so long as he'd be willing to sign here long term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've all gotten into this debate before, but I don't think most people mean the team needs a floor-general PG when they talk about that positional weakness. The big wing superstar who runs the offense isn't a new archetype, just as the score-first lead guard isn't. The team needs high-volume scoring from the position (in my opinion). Ideally they get somebody who's basically as devastating to not stop as Wemby is so that Victor gets space and good looks. Tre Jones is a perfectly fine training partner, and in that regard, the Spurs can go another year without a new starter. But they won't compete or especially contend without acquiring a top-10ish player. If they plan on waiting until Wemby is in his early prime, they can get away with a top 15-20 guy and a great supporting cast. But as the thread from scott shows, the Spurs can't give "era 1" Wemby "era 2" players and expect a contender.

Anyway, so I do think the Spurs should be hunting a PG prospect who can grow into that "era 2"/"era 3" PG Victor needs while hoping luck and their warchest allows them to pick up the "era 1" star they need. So the makeup could look like this:

PG: Young PG who will grow into a great player but for now is fast, good at scoring and can beat a defense that tries to play off him to guard the team's stars.
    Middle Positions: One current or recent top-10ish player, a veteran elite role-player and a plucky young role-player
    C: Wemby who continues to grow.

A mix of vets and young players off the bench.

I don't love it, because there aren't really examples out there of teams that went from tanking to a championship core very fast. Even teams like the 2006 Heat have years of vets to try to grow from. The vets on the 06 roster weren't on the 03 roster, but they needed to be on the roster and established for the Heat to make their big trades during the 04 and 05 off-seasons to get that championship core.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think nobody is arguing this here. Whether the player is a 6 foot guard, or a 6'8" wing, we need that primary ball handler that can break down a defense and playmake for himself and others. And we need that a of a lot more than a traditional wing. So no, this clip doesn't make you right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think nobody is arguing this here. Whether the player is a 6 foot guard, or a 6'8" wing, we need that primary ball handler that can break down a defense and playmake for himself and others. And we need that a of a lot more than a traditional wing. So no, this clip doesn't make you right.
    ???

I Wasn’t Trying To Be Right About Anything With This Clip. I Was Looking For The Last PG Topic We Had To Post This In.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ???

I Wasn’t Trying To Be Right About Anything With This Clip. I Was Looking For The Last PG Topic We Had To Post This In.
    That's dumb and it leads to confusion, tbh.

P/S: I just read your proposed target is Dunn. The last thing this team needs is another non-shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's dumb and it leads to confusion, tbh.

P/S: I just read your proposed target is Dunn. The last thing this team needs is another non-shooter.
    Why Don’t You Chill The Out And Stop Being Argumentative About Everything. God Damn You Can Be Annoying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with JJ (who, I can't believe was never a Spur... seems like he would have fit in here), but just thought it worth pointing out that you can agree with JJ while still expressing happiness that Tre is currently starting. Only speaking for myself, I wanted Tre starting at PG not because he is the perfect archetype of PG but rather because he's the only player on the roster with the proven skills to play "PG" at a decent level. Maybe Devonte could do it as well, but he is clearly not part of our plans.

In that respect, it's easy to see WHY people might have been excited at the Point Sochan experiment, the problem of course is that Sochan never really demonstrated he has the skills necessary to be that "Big Wing PG".

To Chinook above, the only part of what you wrote I take exception with is that I don't necessarily need for Era 1 Wemby to win a championship, but I do want Era 1 Wemby in the playoffs, developing his mettle, and setting himself up for Era 2/3 dominance. This is based on my goal of seeing Wemby being an all-time great, not simply a one-time champion... I think he is that good and that transcendent... but he will need a team around him, and again (my thesis is) there is no need to wait to start that process, just so long as we do it in a way that is economical with our assets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why Don’t You Chill The Out And Stop Being Argumentative About Everything. God Damn You Can Be Annoying.
    Isn't that the point of an internet forum, being argumentative?

P/S: Nothing Is More Annoying Than You Writing Like This All The Time. The 's UP With That?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

P/S: Nothing Is More Annoying Than You Writing Like This All The Time. The 's UP With That?
    He gets in his feelings a lot. It’s his shtick on this forum. He posts his usually wrong opinions and then anytime anybody disagrees with him he gets angry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He gets in his feelings a lot. It’s his shtick on this forum. He posts his usually wrong opinions and then anytime anybody disagrees with him he gets angry.
    Nah, I Have Plenty Of Folks Who Enjoy My Takes And Who I Enjoy Conversing With, Even Chinook Who I Know I Give A Hard Time And Sometimes I Wish I Didn’t Because He’s One Of The Folks Here Who Have Depth Unlike Yourself Who I Purposely Barely Acknowledge Since Most Of Your Posts Are So Low On The Scale Of Intelligence That It Would Be A Huge Waste Of Time To Deal With.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He's Doing This Writing Style To Emulate How Murray Posts On Social Media. Trying To Speak That Trade Into Existence

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's Doing This Writing Style To Emulate How Murray Posts On Social Media. Trying To Speak That Trade Into Existence
    Are we sure Dejounte isn't Dejounte?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, I Have Plenty Of Folks Who Enjoy My Takes And Who I Enjoy Conversing With, Even Chinook Who I Know I Give A Hard Time And Sometimes I Wish I Didn’t Because He’s One Of The Folks Here Who Have Depth Unlike Yourself Who I Purposely Barely Acknowledge Since Most Of Your Posts Are So Low On The Scale Of Intelligence That It Would Be A Huge Waste Of Time To Deal With.
    How do you type with all caps on every word? That seems like it would be a waste of some time. Oh look you got in your feelings again and attacked my intelligence. Ouch that hurts. What particularly is so stupid about my basketball takes? I feel like I speak common sense and then 3 months later you start posting the exact same thing I said from the get go. So if my intelligence is so low and you end up agreeing with my low level… what ever does that say about you?

Thread Information