Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    timvp
    If Payton was not logical then, then I really don't see how signing Kidd with our hard-earned cap room is logical now.
    Look towards Indiana, tiger

By the way, this board is SO much better than WOAI! We actually have intelligent discussion going! Thanks again Kori and timothyvp for bringing back the old school spursreport.com style board and making it even better.
    Thanks. This is what happens when you put the Spurs first ahead of money, drama, lies and power struggles.

It's awesome to see Admiral navigating these parts. I hope you stick around and sail in here as much as possible.

Will you? How is med school?

Questions.

genghisrex
    If Payton was not logical then, then I really don't see how signing Kidd with our hard-earned cap room is logical now.
    If the Spurs sign Kidd, they can do so without losing any of their young talent. That wasn't true with the Payton deal. Parker + Rose + Kidd >>> Payton. Maybe Kidd eventually forces Parker out, but maybe not and we can have Parker for at least 3 more years anyway unless Pop/RC trade him or choose to let him go (third year of rookie contract + fourth year option + RFA Q.O.).

Admiral
    It's awesome to see Admiral navigating these parts. I hope you stick around and sail in here as much as possible. Will you? How is med school? -timvp
    Med school has not started yet. I took a "leave of absence" to really focus on my studying for the MCAT, which is required as part of the application process. It is nice to be back.

Thanks. This is what happens when you put the Spurs first ahead of money, drama, lies and power struggles. -timvp
    I am not surprised that it was that way with WOAI. Dusty is a good guy, and I am glad that he was able to profit from the success of Spurs Report, but it was never the same after the merger. I don't know about most other people here, but I don't even go to WOAI anymore. If most of the people here have left WOAI, they have lost a ton of great posters.

It's as if this board is a school for the "gifted and talented" posters, and the honors posters were taken from the ungrouped classes (WOAI) and put into the honors class (Full Sport Press) to accelerate their learning.

genghisrex
    Let me add to my last post that I think Parker + Kidd + Rose > Payton + Robinson, which is really more to the point of the issue.

Ghost Writer
    "Trading for Payton was a guarantee. Free agency is not." — Admiral
    This man "gets it".

timvp, you are being uncharacteristically obstinate here.

Payton has always been the best player on his team. That's why he gets the most touches, GZA.

Payton is twice the playmaker that Parker is and you don't recognize that.

Payton made an All-Star out of a power forward named Kemp. I think he'd find a way to enhance Duncan's game.

What you are painting as a weakness for Payton is a strength.

How could Payton be on the backside of his career when he registered his best season as a pro in 2001-02?

When exactly are we going to be rewarded for insisting on the status quo?

Questions

timvp
    Payton is a ball-hawk. He needs the ball to be effective. He's never shown the ability to play off the ball. Fact.

Kemp stood on his own two feet. Fact.

Where is Payton now? Question.

Where is Parker now? Question 2.

Would a Championship be reward enough for you? Question 3.

Ghost Writer
    Payton is a ball-hawk. He needs the ball to be effective. He's never shown the ability to play off the ball. Fact.
    So what? Acknowledge that he also sets up his teammates better than any PG outside of Jason Kidd.

Kemp stood on his own two feet. Fact.
    Oh, yeah. He threw all those alley-oops to himself.

Where is Payton now? Question.
    At a strip club wondering what team he's going to help get a ring next season.

Where is Parker now? Question 2.
    At a church thanking God that he has Tim Duncan as a teammate.

Would a Championship be reward enough for you? Question 3.
    A le this season would help me tremendously, but I'll still point to last year as a missed opportunity for a le.

My midset is always Win Now, Worry Later.

timvp
    So what? Acknowledge that he also sets up his teammates better than any PG outside of Jason Kidd.
    I'll acknowledge that. But also remember that Brent Barry had like 17 assists the game after Payton was traded. That tied Payton's career-high, IIRC.

Oops.

Oh, yeah. He threw all those alley-oops to himself.
    Kemp was the orignial man-child. Go watch tapes of that guy. The league had never seen a player that big with that much athletic power.

First victim: Phoenix Suns
    Can we get an update of your sig?

Question.

baseline bum
    I'll still point to last year as a missed opportunity for a le.
    Brilliant... Charles Smith is your starting 2 and all you have to defend Shaq in the playoffs is Mark Bryant and Danny Ferry.

Ghost Writer
    timvp, I can't believe you still hate on Gary Payton. Are you that desperate to put over Parker?

baseline, excuse me, but did we win it last year and I missed something.

The staus quo failed.

And who do you think is going to waltz through that door this summer that's gonna make the Hot-ing Pattern worth it?

pfc2002
    the point is we wouldn't have won with GP anyway. GO read the lakerboard. there is a topic called "Malik Rose" and everyone talks about him killing them. It's mentioned all over the place about how to stop rose and him being the X-Factor.

NEWSFLASH:
    - You can't just pick up a guy at the minimum and say he replaces rose.
    - You can't expect SJax this year numbers last year when POP, Duncan and SJAX himself and everyone else says he wasn't ready
    - You can't use SSmiths play this year as to how he played last year.

IF we had Payton we'd have no championships AND LITTLE cap room...

timvp
    timvp, I can't believe you still hate on Gary Payton. Are you that desperate to put over Parker?
    I've said that Payton was probably the top 3 point guard of the '90s.

But every puzzle piece doesn't fit every puzzle.

Play the Parker Bros board game.

Next.

Ghost Writer
    pfc, you're late and I already pissed on those non-points when travis brought them up a couple pages ago. Thanks anyway.

timvp, if the best PG of the past decade can't put the Spurs over the top, I wonder who in the blue could.

timvp
    timvp, if the best PG of the past decade can't put the Spurs over the top, I wonder who in the blue could.
    :parker
    :rose
    son
    :ginobili

Answers.

Ghost Writer
    And that my friends, is FullSportPress.com's interpretation of a "Stockton to Malone", courtesy of GhostWriter and timvp.

timvp
    *points to Ghost Writer for assist*

Admiral
    :claxton

And 1.

timvp
    Payton says in three or four weeks, he'll reveal future

Associated Press

ST. FRANCIS, Wis. -- Gary Payton was a quick fix, helping the Milwaukee Bucks reach the postseason and play a compe ive series with the reigning Eastern Conference champion New Jersey Nets.

The question now is whether the Bucks employed him only as a highly-qualified "temp'' or whether his short stint in Milwaukee a tantalizing taste of the future.

The All-Star point guard, who joined the Bucks 2½ months ago in the blockbuster trade that sent Ray Allen to Seattle, becomes a free agent this summer and his final NBA wish is to get a championship ring.

After the Bucks were eliminated with a 113-101 loss at home Thursday night, Payton said he'll take about a month to decide where he wants to end his career.

"I'm going to take my time with it. And the right decision is going to be my last decision,'' Payton said. "Three weeks or four weeks will come and I'll make it known where I want to be."

If that isn't Milwaukee, coach George Karl hopes Payton, whom he coached for five seasons in Seattle, will at least agree to a sign-and-trade deal so the Bucks get compensation.

"I really feel whatever piece we get in that situation, I have tremendous confidence in Sen. Kohl and Ernie,'' Karl said of owner Herb Kohl and general manager Ernie Grunfeld.

"My first choice would be to bring Gary back and build the team around Payton and some of our young guys and continue on the path we've been on for the last six or eight weeks. But if we have to go another way, there's still a lot of hope here.''

Karl deemed the trade a success regardless of Payton's decision.

"I feel as though we made two really good steps,'' Karl said. "I think in general our organization was fearful that we wouldn't make the playoffs if we didn't make the move. And we competed against one of the premier teams in the East on a pretty even level.''

Karl, who has one year and $7 million left on his own contract, said he's looking forward to working again with emerging players such as Michael Redd, Dan Gadzuric, Marcus Haislip and Desmond Mason, who came over from Seattle with Payton.

"The core guys we have here, I think we can make some noise,'' Redd agreed. "We said all along the Eastern Conference is wide open and we're still going to have a chance next season to have an impact.''

The Bucks replaced their perimeter game with a penetrating style after trading away Allen and Glenn Robinson. But they still lack a low-post presence to make enough stops or grab enough rebounds to compete for the crown in the East.

"If we rebound and play defense, I think this team can be great because I don't think anyone can deal with us on the offensive end,'' Payton said. "But we have to stop people. We have to get rebounds. And that's a big thorn in our foot.''

Grunfeld said he knew Payton was disappointed that the Bucks didn't advance, "but I think he sees some positive things about this situation. We have some good, young players and he also felt like maybe we could have won if we had a little more time with him and Desmond.''

A pressing need is a true power forward, as evidenced by the Nets' 46-29 rebounding advantage in Game 6.

Karl has some things to straighten out himself, notably to repair his relationship with forward Tim Thomas, who was benched over the final month after refusing to re-enter a game at Denver in March.

Thomas said during the playoffs that there was more to the rift than the public knew and he promised to tell all after the season was over.

But he changed his mind Friday.

"I don't feel like talking,'' he said as he meandered out to his car.

Redd said he thought Thomas and Karl would patch things up.

"George really cares for Tim and Tim really cares for George,'' Redd said. "Every relationship is not going to be perfect, but they genuinely like each other.''

So do Karl and Payton, but they might have worked their last game together.

espn.go.com/nba/news/2003...48593.html

Ghost Writer
    timvp, I hope you can stomach it if the "ballhawk" Payton lands with our Spurs for signifigantly less than the max.

I know that I won't be happy if he goes to the Lakers, pal.

timvp
    Well, it would be hard for Payton to be a ball-hawk if he is playing the two next to Parker2

He'd be a pretty good fit and would give the Spurs another clutch shooter, but there are other options that the Spurs should look at first.

Ghost Writer

A career 7 APG all-star PG being considered a ballhawk.

Next thing you know, timvp is gonna be down on Iverson for being a gunner or Shaq for taking too many high percentage shots.

timvp
    Oscar Robertson was a notorious ball-hawk and he averaged a triple double over his first three seasons in the NBA.

Learn.

Something.

Ghost Writer
    So you wouldn't have wanted the Big 'O' on the Spurs?

I don't give a what if a player is a ballhawk or not. If he can elevate the team's chances of winning, then that's the bottom line for me.

Big Syke
    Ghost you are losing it. Payton is good but look what happened to Seattle when he left -- they got better! he goes east and the bucks flame out. There is a common denominator in both instances -- GP. He is too slow to be a PG any longer. didn't you see Sam I AM Cassell play the point for most of the series? He'd have to play the two on san antonio and i don't think he can. he's not tall enough or strong enough. he doesn't have the game to just be a gunner.

Ghost Writer
    Big Sucke, I've lost nothing.

Milwaukee and Seattle benefitted from the trade.

Did Seattle make the playoffs? What?

Did Milwaukee make the playoffs? What?

Good night.

Thread Information