Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know. But the whole "he's under contract, so my assumption is that he's coming back" doesn't hold up given the Spurs track record with sending vets off to retirement.
    But that wasn't what I meant, tbh.

I didn't mean: "he's under contract, so I think he will come back". I meant: "he's under contract so, if he comes back, he might not anounce it".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right. If this were Parker, even if he were playing at the level of Ginobili (which is overstated), this would be perceived as his being selfish.

White is already 24, quite possibly (probably?) the best play maker and 2nd best guard on the roster, yet he's likely going to be mostly out of the rotation if everyone is available.
    Ginobili coming back shouldn't be the factor that decides if White is a rotation player or not, tbh.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn. You're right
    He probably fine, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ginobili coming back shouldn't be the factor that decides if White is a rotation player or not, tbh.
    Unless you think Gay will be the third big, it will be. And if you think that, the trickle down effect will be Poeltl is definitely not in the rotation, because no matter how you slice it, the following 8 are locks: Aldridge, Gay, Gasol, DeRozan, Murray, Mills, Ginobili, Belinelli. Bertans, both in terms of need/salary, is the closest thing to a 9th one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless you think Gay will be the third big, it will be. And if you think that, the trickle down effect will be Poeltl is definitely not in the rotation, because no matter how you slice it, the following 8 are locks: Aldridge, Gay, Gasol, DeRozan, Murray, Mills, Ginobili, Belinelli. Bertans, both in terms of need/salary, is the closest thing to a 9th one.
    Well, if it is, then it's Pop's mistake. The Spurs best rotation for next season should have both Manu and White in it, tbh.

The rotation that makes more sense to me is:

Murray, White, DeRozan, Bertans, Aldridge

Mills, Belli, Manu, Gay, Gasol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Confirms NBA League Pass Acquisition and farewell jersey buy. Also tickets to see him in the road

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, if it is, then it's Pop's mistake. The Spurs best rotation for next season should have both Manu and White in it, tbh.

I blame the front office for the bizarre and unnecessary Belinelli signing. In terms of the rotation, those idiots effectively picked a middling, redundant player over arguably their best playmaker and 2nd best guard. What's worse, he can do what Belinelli excels at (maybe not off movement, but still).

No rotation makes sense because the roster itself doesn't, but playing that small on the wings at all times really doesn't make sense. If Gay starts at SF, expect that unit to only actually play the first 6 minutes of the 1st/3rd quarters together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hoping to hear it from the Man...I mean the Manu!

I think his decision will be influenced by the bad road the Spurs faced this summer in getting a team that wants to play together. I believe he'll take the big road and not directly attack Nephew, but I'm sure he especially doesn't appreciate what Pop had to deal with at a rough time. He'll be there for Pop and the Spurs!

Viva Manu Ginobili!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I blame the front office for the bizarre and unnecessary Belinelli signing. In terms of the rotation, those idiots effectively picked a middling, redundant player over arguably their best playmaker and 2nd best guard. What's worse, he can do what Belinelli excels at (maybe not off movement, but still).

No rotation makes sense because the roster itself doesn't, but playing that small on the wings at all times, really doesn't make sense. If Gay starts at SF, expect that unit to only actually play the first 6 minutes of the 1st/3rd quarters together.
    Of course I would rather have a true SF on the roster but, as it is currently constructed, I think that rotation I posted is the best we can do. Gay can't play SF anymore. Playing him there would be a lot more hurtful than having DeRozan and Manu do it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course I would rather have a true SF on the roster but, as it is currently constructed, I think that rotation I posted is the best we can do. Gay can't play SF anymore. Playing him there would be a lot more hurtful than having DeRozan and Manu do it.
    None of them have the requisite lateral quickness, but Gay at least has the length/strength to avoid being easily overpowered on drives and post-ups by any decent or better big wing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None of them have the requisite lateral quickness, but Gay at least has the length/strength to avoid being easily overpowered on drives and post-ups.
    Gay would get eaten alive by driving wings. He would be a liability ala Anderson vs GS, when D'antoni had to buy his starters some breathing minutes. Manu and Demar wouldn't be defensive stoppers by any stretch of the imagination, but at least they wouldn't be glaring liabilities. Having Gay play SF would be like having Gasol do it. That's how bad Gay's lateral quickness is at this point of his career.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    awesome.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay would get eaten alive by driving wings. He would be a liability ala Anderson vs GS, when D'antoni had to buy his starters some breathing minutes. Manu and Demar wouldn't be defensive stoppers by any stretch of the imagination, but at least they wouldn't be glaring liabilities. Having Gay play SF would be like having Gasol do it. That's how bad Gay's lateral quickness is at this point of his career.
    They would be. Starting, off the bench, SF, PF, the bottom line is, expect Gay and Cunningham to defend James, Durant, Antetokoumpo, etc.

Players don't always start or primarily play their best position, but rather the one they're either best suited to on their team or that allows the coach/organization to play the rotation they prefer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The defense use to be designed to chase the shooters off the 3, and drive them into shot blockers. The way everyone shoots the three, this might be the best way to play the game today, anyway.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    how bitter would the tony fans be if the spurs rang?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They would be. Starting, off the bench, SF, PF, the bottom line is, expect Gay and Cunningham to defend James, Durant, Antetokoumpo, etc.

Players don't always start or primarily play their best position, but rather the one they're either best suited to on their team or that allows the coach/organization to play the rotation they prefer.
    Cunningham is not going to get meaningful minutes, stop it with that.

And I doubt Gay sees much time at SF either. If Pop didn't play him much there last season, I doubt he does it now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Just going to disregard the starting caliber center we just picked up? Ok

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need this simply for veteran leadership. Aldridge is not a vocal leader. Murray is eager but not yet ready to take the torch and run with it. Until then is Ginobili, Gasol and Patty Mills. I am good with that. Again, his basketball knowledge will be absorbed by hardworking selfless players like Murray, White and Walker. You can't put a price on that value. That knowledge will be last thru the next generation of players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And I doubt Gay sees much time at SF either. If Pop didn't play him much there last season, I doubt he does it now.
    Cunningham has played meaningful minutes the past 7 seasons and been a part-time starter the past 4. He also received a portion of the MLE, as opposed to the minimum. The difference in salary was miniscule, by the symbolism wasn't. He wouldn't have come here to be end of the bench filler and if that's all they were looking for, they would have signed someone younger.

As I said, I wouldn't expect a Gay at SF starting lineup to play more than the first 6 minutes of the 1st/3rd quarters together. It would be for the dual purpose of having size on the wing in spurts and keeping Mills out of the starting lineup/reuniting him with Ginobili and Belinelli.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think Pop didn’t play Gay much at the 3 because he didn’t want him to get too comfortable there. Everyone though the nephew would return.

You guys act like he’s Manus age. He’ll be 32 just before camp, and was still recovering from his Achilles most of last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu will probably play 18-20 MPG as he has for the last several years tbh. Chill with the 10-12 MPG predictions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as he's playing the majority of minutes at SF, like last season, should be ok

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu is still an awesome compe or and contributor.
    Favorite Spur.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In an off-season of good news and bad news, this is the best news!
    What has the good news this offseason been? That Aldridge didn't blow out his knee playing summer ball like TC did in 92?

Thread Information