Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He liked mid range in Sacramento when he was regularly beating guys off the dribble. Gay was always a guy who really needed to be a number 2 option on a very good team before he started to decline. He didn't really get sharing the ball as a number 1 while he was in Sacramento and with Memphis, Those were good teams that mostly didn't have the right coach and luck. Also for the first couple of years both gasol and gay were to young. Not sure really why gay never bought into the defense mentality of that team.
    I watched a bunch of Rudy Gay Memphis to see exactly what he looked like. He would drive to the basket but was much much more inclined to pull up for mid range or body his way through contactusing his length to finish because he was not beating guys to the spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should have just said “yes i was talking about spurs rudy gay” instead of making progressively worse arguments like “grr you probably never even watched him play”

and today i learned that Michael Jordan lived in the midrange because he lacked the athletic ability to get to the rim

im not defending gay’s play style, efficiency, or effort. But invoking him as an athlete in the same class as branham is lunacy
    You could have just said you were going to ignore arguments you have no answer for. I mean I was talking about his time in Memphis and your formally trained in argumentation ass blithely claims I am only talking about his later years.

You like doing things like this which are really bad in objective arguments. It makes it really hard to believe you could pass the bar and near certain you suck at your job unless you are a glorified paralegal for better lawyers.

As for the Michael Jordan argument, are you claiming that because Michael Jordan would go to his spots at the Bulls logo and the baseline for midrange against elite defenses means that Gay could beat plus defenders off the dribble and went too the midrange anyway?

The difference is Jordan would take what defenses gave to him and win any way he could. Gay had one inefficient way to win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could have just said you were going to ignore arguments you have no answer for. I mean I was talking about his time in Memphis and your formally trained in argumentation ass blithely claims I am only talking about his later years.

You like doing things like this which are really bad in objective arguments. It makes it really hard to believe you could pass the bar and near certain you suck at your job unless you are a glorified paralegal for better lawyers.

As for the Michael Jordan argument, are you claiming that because Michael Jordan would go to his spots at the Bulls logo and the baseline for midrange against elite defenses means that Gay could beat plus defenders off the dribble and went too the midrange anyway?

The difference is Jordan would take what defenses gave to him and win any way he could. Gay had one inefficient way to win.
    i didn’t ignore your argument. For the sake of giving you the benefit of the doubt i tried assuming you weren’t going to say something as obviously wrong as Memphis gay and current branham being similar level athletes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i didn’t ignore your argument. For the sake of giving you the benefit of the doubt i tried assuming you weren’t going to say something as obviously wrong as Memphis gay and current branham being similar level athletes
    So you ignore all the arguments and double down on the smarmy presumption. Glorified indeed.

From a run, jump, shuttle perspective they are. From a size, length aspect they are not. You seem to struggle with the nuance between equivalence and similarity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched a bunch of Rudy Gay Memphis to see exactly what he looked like. He would drive to the basket but was much much more inclined to pull up for mid range or body his way through contactusing his length to finish because he was not beating guys to the spot.
    Maybe you have watched those games more recently than I but from the ones I remember, there was a good amount of speed involved and a lot of athletics and length. You had a guy who was long enough to be a power forward who was playing a decent amount of 2 guard and wing when he wasn't. I will agree that we were not looking at Iverson or Parker speed on the court but you were seeing a lot of quick first step direction changes and body shielding... There was also a huge amount of first step what I will call faux drives into a mid range pull up because of the defender biting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of truly, abysmally stupid people on this board (what else is new). Branham needs a step back and to work on specific things. I could see a walk back to G-League. He's clearly an NBA player who needs development and y'all gonna be sucking your thumbs before long.
    I don't know why you think he's clearly an NBA player. He's clearly an NBA player the way Bryn Forbes was clearly an NBA player. This is not to say that the book is written on him, but he's taken a huge step backwards in year two when most players who amount to anything take a rather large step in the opposite direction.

It is anything but clear that this guy is an NBA level player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feel like his confidence is shot. He’s not THIS bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feel like his confidence is shot. He’s not THIS bad.
    How do we know he's not this bad? He can't defend, he can't really shoot (even last year he wasn't a great shooter) and he's not some amazing finisher so I don't understand why people think he has to magically be better than he is now. He doesn't do a single thing extremely well and he's not an athletic standout. This dude had to come in and show himself to be a great shooter the way he was in college and I've seen no indication that's the case over a year and half of watching him play.

He might just not be good.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let him play, its not like we want to win games, or send him to the g league to get some confidence. He's lucky we don't really have to win...

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's too early to completely close the book on Branham, but it's looking more likely than not that he is a bust given what we have seen. It's not the end of the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe you have watched those games more recently than I but from the ones I remember, there was a good amount of speed involved and a lot of athletics and length. You had a guy who was long enough to be a power forward who was playing a decent amount of 2 guard and wing when he wasn't. I will agree that we were not looking at Iverson or Parker speed on the court but you were seeing a lot of quick first step direction changes and body shielding... There was also a huge amount of first step what I will call faux drives into a mid range pull up because of the defender biting.
    He could get people to sell out on the closeout and get a step but even then as you say he had use his body and shoot through contact as opposed to outrun or quick anyone after.

Elite blowby quickness at that position looks like Vince Carter and Giannis. Gay was several flights of stairs back of them at his peak. Branham is a decent athlete right around as quick and fast back there too.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's too early to completely close the book on Branham, but it's looking more likely than not that he is a bust given what we have seen. It's not the end of the world.
    It's exactly the right time to close the book on Branham. The spurs have their franchise player right now, so it's time to start putting talent around him right now. Branham is the exact type of player you pull the cord on so you can get somebody else more talented in to get his minutes. you can make the case it has already happened as Wesley is already on another planet than Branham defensively, and while Wesley offense isn't particularly good, neither was branhams so it doesn't even matter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should do a change of scenery swap to get little used AJ Griffin from the Hawks. Send over some SRPs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let him play, its not like we want to win games, or send him to the g league to get some confidence. He's lucky we don't really have to win...
    The dude was a ing starter. He’s played.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got such a huge opportunity in starting and had no urgency and did nothing with it. I was really hopeful for him last year. He can still improve but it will be harder with less minutes coming up unless he makes a paradigm shift with his motivation and dedication. There could be something going on behind the scenes to explain this drop off I guess, but still.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should do a change of scenery swap to get little used AJ Griffin from the Hawks. Send over some SRPs.
    If I remember a bunch of episodes from Locked on Hawks correctly, He's been out a lot with some nebulous off court personal issue and when he was back with the team, Snyder wasn't eager to play him. Seems unlikely to be a Spurs target with that sort of unknown, potential baggage

Thread Information