Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what's the trade? Payne and a 2nd for a 2nd. How does that work?
    They effectively gave up a second round pick in exchange for being able to salary dump Payne on the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the move but something’s gotta be brewing right? Payne, Osman, Bullock are solid vets but something doesn’t add up especially with Barlow and sidy not on deals yet

Believe.
    Post Count
    Disagree. Spurs are already at the floor. They now have a legitimate roster crunch. They didn't take on yet another body just to gather in yet another second rounder. This is a signal that they don't have faith in the Wesley-as-a-point-gguard experiment to me.
    Yeah, notice they waited until they got a good look at Wesley in Summer League before making this trade. I would have done the same thing based on his performance.

Also, one thing I’ll say about Payne is I think he’s a little underrated here. He did score 31/5/5 in a playoff game against Denver this year. He can really run hot on the threes which is nice to have. And I think he had a nice 29 point playoff game the year before. He has some real playoff experience and has played pretty well when given the minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, notice they waited until they got a good look at Wesley in Summer League before making this trade. I would have done the same thing based on his performance.

Also, one thing I’ll say about Payne is a think he’s a little underrated here. He did score 31/5/5 in a playoff game against Denver this year. He can really run hot on the threes which is nice to have. And I think he had a nice 29 point playoff game the year before. He has some real playoff experience and has played pretty well when given some minutes in them.
    Correlation <> causality. Could have been something on Phoenix’s end. Or, They might have been haggling over this since the draft.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Correlation <> causality. Could have been something on Phoenix’s end. Or, They might have been haggling over this since the draft.
    Maybe not or maybe. I would personally lean towards causality after watching him struggle myself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe not or maybe. I would personally lean towards causality after watching him struggle myself.
    And you’re 100% en led to hold whatever opinion on this matter. Could be that it was their only ending contract that would either fit in our space, or of a player they were willing to relinquish. Could be they couldn’t agree on the cash until now. I think there are a lot more reasons for the timing of this trade than cutting a FRP that has played 37 games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd call it a fine baby steps move. I would've preferred Delon Wright, who looks like he's about to be traded to Charlotte-- he's 4" taller than Cam and a much better defender-- but I don't think it matters much in the big picture, where visions of a championship with Wembanyama are at least 4 years away anyway.

I wonder if deep down the Spurs are hoping for one more lottery pick before the Wemby era really kicks in, or if making the play in is an actual goal for year one.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 07-16-2023 at 04:20 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have seen reporting to the contrary on this - that because the Spurs acquired these players with cap space, they are able to aggregate them immediately.
    Yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good job spurs! You reached the floor and added another 2 to the war chest

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gee, roster crunch. Birch has to go.

Believe.
    Post Count
    And you’re 100% en led to hold whatever opinion on this matter. Could be that it was their only ending contract that would either fit in our space, or of a player they were willing to relinquish. Could be they couldn’t agree on the cash until now. I think there are a lot more reasons for the timing of this trade than cutting a FRP that has played 37 games.

I never said he’d be cut. Just not ready for minutes this year. Maybe never. But definitely not this year. They need at a minimum some decent pg play for Wemby this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    according to fanspo 2 months restriction

Cedi Osman cannot be traded to a team aggregated with other players from his team because 2 months have not passed since he was traded for. He can only be traded away to a team by himself and other non-player assets from his team (draft picks, cash considerations, etc). This restriction expires after Sep 04, 2023.

Reggie Bullock cannot be traded to a team aggregated with other players from his team because 2 months have not passed since he was traded for. He can only be traded away to a team by himself and other non-player assets from his team (draft picks, cash considerations, etc). This restriction expires after Sep 10, 2023.
    No restrictions since they were acquired into cap space...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes

That would actually be unSpursy, to close the door on options before they have to.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would actually be unSpursy, to close the door on options before they have to.
    Yes, there's zero cost for them to wait on resigning Tre..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone online mentioned we now have Champagnie and CamPayne, lol

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, there's zero cost for them to wait on resigning Tre..
    Tre wouldn't actually get a paycheck until October anyways right? So no harm in waiting?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like, they’ll cut Stevens before his guarantee date on the 17th, but they’ve known they would cut him, and won’t until they have to. Multiply that by the number of acquisitions we have made over the 15 Man roster limit. I’m honestly not sure Cedi and Payne aren’t eventual cuts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good trade. Spurs needed an experienced point guard to help the offense hum. They’ll be able to get the starter down the road, but they needed a placeholder this season to help see what they have in the others. I think Jones starts, but Payne is a good get as an expiring.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    somebody tell me what exactly we are getting out of this? We get a 2nd and trade a 2nd? Is Cam Payne our new starting PG?
    A backup point guard on a team without a backup point guard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A backup point guard on a team without a backup point guard
    What about Devonte Graham? Not saying he’s the answer but think I prefer him over Payne

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This explains our plan for the new downtown stadium

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about Devonte Graham? Not saying he’s the answer but think I prefer him over Payne
    Is Graham a point guard? I haven’t watched him much, but he seemed to be just a shooter to me. Payne seems more of a true point. Payne a good, low investment, support term option

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good grab.

Thread Information