Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/...o-jean-charles

Turns out this is exactly what the Spurs are trying to build. Lineups all 6'7-6'10 with no C's or PG's.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Point proven. Parker and Duncan useless against length and athleticism.

Going to Duncan for a post up - inefficient.

Durant and Westbrook pick and roll- Parker switches on Durant, gets helplessly shot over.
    Durant and Ibaka pick and pop - easy shot for Ibaka
    Durant gets Duncan to switch onto him, absolutely blows by him for a dunk.
    Duncan useless

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Turns out this is exactly what the Spurs are trying to build. Lineups all 6'7-6'10 with no C's or PG's.
    So they don't want Mills and they trying to trade Parker?

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Just finish reading this great thread. Almost FEELS like everyone wanted you to feel wrong to get the best outta you.

Great work man. .

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump. Thank you. Parker and Duncan are useless against Thunder and Miami. So are George Hill and Roy Hibbert. You want to win, you had better play your all length and athletic lineups.

Ginobili - Green - Leonard - Daye - Splitter.

Ginobili - Green - Leonard - Diaw - Splitter

Thank you.
    Winning with Daye in a suit
    Winning with Mills and Parker

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan ting on the length and athleticism of Ibaka in that game 6 OT imho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan ting on the length and athleticism of Ibaka in that game 6 OT imho
    Duncan hit the game winner with Jackson guarding him with ease.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I generally agree with the actual argument itself (that a team built entirely around a pure PG, or a pure low post center is generally not going to win championships), the OP did a crappy job of explaining it and said some really stupid stuff in the process.
    Pretty much this. I do agree with Gino-Step's essential premise, though. It's why I think teams like the '01 Lakers and such wouldn't fare well in today's NBA. They'd get killed on the PnR. And no, Shaq would not score 80 points. He'd get swarmed with double and triple teams, and these defenders, being so quick and long now, would still be able to recover on outside shooters, so you couldn't necessarily protect Shaq from double teams with outside shooters. That said, it's not that "positionless basketball" is inherently superior to teams built around interior size. The new rule changes have taken the game in this direction, all from Colangelo's ambition to make the game more fluid and aesthetically pleasing after the 90's grind-it-out era.

This is really nothing new. The great teams of the 80's had similar versatility. Larry Bird, Magic, etc could play C, PF, SF, SG, or PG if needed. Guys like James Worthy, Michael Cooper were versatile defenders, ball handlers and scorers. Those Celtics had no one shorter than 6'3" on the roster. The Bad Boys were built around a lengthy and versatile defense, etc.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan hit the game winner with Jackson guarding him with ease.
    He also did well in the finals shooting right over 6'8 Haslem in the finals.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is really nothing new.
    What's new is wanting to play Daye and not Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Addressing the problem

So in the spring of 2001, Colangelo gathered a committee of former coaches and players. Among them were Jack Ramsay, Jerry West, Motta and Rod Thorn. And they knew immediately the mandate was to quicken the game.

"The first thing I did when we met was to show everybody a videotape I'd had made of the different eras of the league — the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s and where we'd come," Colangelo said. "It was pretty revealing stuff. It was evident that in the '60s and '70s, guys were free to go pretty much anywhere on the court. And 20 or 30 years ago, there was no half-court offense. It just wasn't how our game was played.

"By having it all on one video, you could see our game evolving — or de-evolving, to be more accurate — it was obvious that we had to make some changes right away."

The committee eliminated the illegal defense rules, virtually allowing zones, and shortened the time to get the ball over the midcourt line from 10 to 8 seconds. It considered going to the trapezoid-shaped lane and allowing a ball on the rim to be live, just like in the international game.

"But we didn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater," Colangelo said. "We wanted to keep our iden y."

Two years later, the committee took the next step and began outlawing all hand-checking on the perimeter, getting the league back closer to its roots.

Now fans can again see the full talents of Wade and Kobe Bryant or Gilbert Arenas and James, and cities where the game was dormant for so long began to experience a rebirth.

"It's such fun for me again to watch the NBA," said Hall of Famer Magic Johnson, who was the conductor of the Showtime Lakers that won five les in the 1980s. "I'm so happy to see teams like Phoenix running, to see them running in Chicago and New Jersey. San Antonio can run. Even my old coach, Pat Riley, has them running in Miami.

"We're back as the topic in the barbershops. The streets are talking again. They like the getting up and down the floor. I love it because that was our style. But also because I believe that's the way the fans love watching it."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He also did well in the finals shooting right over 6'8 Haslem in the finals.
    Did you read the thread? I think you'll get a better understanding of op's point reading and not skimming over it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's new is wanting to play Daye and not Duncan.
    He's not talking about prime Duncan, who was versatility personified. And although I disagree with him, Duncan's primary weakness at his age is guarding the pick and roll (but Duncan's rebounding, passing, pick setting, and jumper [something Splitter doesn't have], and interior defense more than make up for the few points he might give back in PnR situations. I think Duncan had the highest RAPM of any Spur during the playoffs, so Gino-Step needs to do his research on det one).

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ^Then in front of them "in the spring of 2001" Daddy savaged Mutombo in broad daylight.

That's it. And that's all.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you read the thread? I think you'll get a better understanding of op's point reading and not skimming over it.
    He has a point but he went overboard with it and looks like a complete idiot.

"Again, the Spurs are simply being respectful of Duncan and Parker. The truth is they have had a higher points differential this year with those 2 off the court."

"Ginobili - Green - Leonard - Daye - Splitter."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Then in front of them "in the spring of 2001" Daddy savaged Mutombo in broad daylight.

That's it. And that's all.
    Duncan 5

tosb shaq 4

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not talking about prime Duncan, who was versatility personified. And although I disagree with him, Duncan's primary weakness at his age is guarding the pick and roll (but Duncan's rebounding, passing, pick setting, and jumper [something Splitter doesn't have], and interior defense more than make up for the few points he might give back in PnR situations. I think Duncan had the highest RAPM of any Spur during the playoffs, so Gino-Step needs to do his research on det one).
    I didn't think he was talking about prime Duncan.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Duncan 5

tosb shaq 4
    No, Lovey. The Bag stays in Texas.

Solly Cholly. Maybe next year, daddy-O.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BUMP. Equal size ball is going to take over this league. The more interchangeable your 5 players are the better. I was 2 years early.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BUMP. Equal size ball is going to take over this league. The more interchangeable your 5 players are the better. I was 2 years early.
    Why did you bump your thread when a PG-led team is about to win it all?

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Indeed equal size ball has already taken over. And it's cheapened the Association

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump. Look at Miwaukee. Look at Philadelphia. The league is becoming geneous.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Very odd bump, tbh. If anything, thanks to the Warriors, this league is headed towards five tiny frail guards lined up around the arc chucking threes. Milwaukee is the outlier and Philly has been desperately trying to unload one of their bigs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    again as I said years ago it wasn't that your theory or premise was wrong you just went to far.
    I still don't buy that prime: Shaq/Hakeem/David/Duncan dont still have value.

Let's use David who is like Capela on steroids. A better scoring, better athlete, stronger version of Capella would absolutely murder teams rim running and catching pnr lobs. I would take the 25 pts he would average 15 boards and 3 blocks 3 steals over almost every current NBA player outside Lebron/KD/steph and MAYBE Unibrow. Give him a good ball handler and david would absolutely crush modern Nba defenses plus he would murder them from mid range too ...

David was born to soon and wouldnt need a 3 ball to be dominant either.

Thread Information