Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys don't understand anything about the Spurs at all. They don't sign idiots, even if talented. Ever. Really. No foolin'.
    Was Rodman ever a spur? How about Stephen Jackson? He's a "thug" that has a bad at ude. So I heard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blatche would fail here. At this point, he's a deer. He can run and jump, but he really isn't much of a basketball player.
    He's got some game, so that analogy fails but he just needs some coaching (Pop) & a mentor (Tim) to mature. Jack is really only kept in check here so I can't see why the same can't be done for Blatche.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Jack was never a failure or a bonehead on the court. The analogy breaks down.

Rodman was ancient history. You missed a couple of other blasts from the past like Strickland and Mad Max. Please don't be obtuse to the point where you fail to realize that the Spurs don't do business like that any more.

SA can't compete on talent because FAs won't come here and we always draft late. They have to hang their hat on teamwork and cohesion. That's a delicate balance. You get one guy grousing and complaining and pretty soon all of the dogs in the kennel are barking.

I'm sure SA knows that they could sign him for the minimum and cut him any time. Yet, they don't. That tells me that they know he won't work out. Sometimes the signs are just too clear.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Spurs should not be waiting IMO....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SA can't compete on talent because FAs won't come here and we always draft late. They have to hang their hat on teamwork and cohesion. That's a delicate balance. You get one guy grousing and complaining and pretty soon all of the dogs in the kennel are barking.
    Isn't that the point though? If SA can't get talent through FA or the Draft, wouldn't it be prudent to acquire some talent through one of the few means that they can i.e. a troubled young player that has been amnestied/cleared waivers.

Admittedly the Spurs are dependent on teamwork and cohesion to win, but part of that is due to their declining level of talent. As their core gets older they are more dependent on the roles players, like Danny Green, to perform every night. When they don't the Spurs struggle. But again adding some talent (Blatche), lessens that burden and gives those other role players more room for error.

Finally, I think you really underestimate the Spurs leadership and locker-room if you think that one new player, even as trouble as Blatche has been, can come in and completely disrupt things. Don't get me wrong, if on the court he continued to do some of the things he did in D.C. it would piss people off, and chances are Pop wouldn't let him see the court or cut him altogether. But he wouldn't be playing with a bunch of guys just coming into the league or Gilbert Arenas, and wouldn't be expected to have a leadership role.

I'm sure SA knows that they could sign him for the minimum and cut him any time. Yet, they don't. That tells me that they know he won't work out. Sometimes the signs are just too clear.
    I dunno, this is the same front office that offered Duncan a contract that wasn't compliant with the new CBA. Besides you can infer what you want from them not signing him so far, but until the FO says that's why they aren't signing Blatche no one really knows why they haven't. Doesn't mean the FO knows that he won't work out. They could just be really cheap and not want to go over into the luxury tax or they are hoping to do a S&T next year. Maybe Pop just wants to coast through the next few years and doesn't really want to do any work so hes making sure the people he brings in can be taught Tony, Tim, or Bud. Who knows.

Point is just because the Spurs historically haven't signed a player like Blatche doesn't mean they shouldn't. Whether they do or not is a different question. But people on here can't bemoan the point that the Spurs never get any players or talent, and then complain and disregard potential acquisitions of it. Admittedly Blatche has red-flags (one of the reasons the Spurs could potentially get him), however there isn't some perfect savior player out there to save the Spurs. there isn't even a perfect player on the Spurs between Manu's injury prone nature, Tony's social life, Tim's age, Neal's height/D, Blair's weight gain and lack of ACLs, Bonner's being Bonner, Splitter's fragility, ect.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Isn't that the point though? If SA can't get talent through FA or the Draft, wouldn't it be prudent to acquire some talent through one of the few means that they can i.e. a troubled young player that has been amnestied/cleared waivers.

Admittedly the Spurs are dependent on teamwork and cohesion to win, but part of that is due to their declining level of talent. As their core gets older they are more dependent on the roles players, like Danny Green, to perform every night. When they don't the Spurs struggle. But again adding some talent (Blatche), lessens that burden and gives those other role players more room for error.

Finally, I think you really underestimate the Spurs leadership and locker-room if you think that one new player, even as trouble as Blatche has been, can come in and completely disrupt things. Don't get me wrong, if on the court he continued to do some of the things he did in D.C. it would piss people off, and chances are Pop wouldn't let him see the court or cut him altogether. But he wouldn't be playing with a bunch of guys just coming into the league or Gilbert Arenas, and wouldn't be expected to have a leadership role.

I dunno, this is the same front office that offered Duncan a contract that wasn't compliant with the new CBA. Besides you can infer what you want from them not signing him so far, but until the FO says that's why they aren't signing Blatche no one really knows why they haven't. Doesn't mean the FO knows that he won't work out. They could just be really cheap and not want to go over into the luxury tax or they are hoping to do a S&T next year. Maybe Pop just wants to coast through the next few years and doesn't really want to do any work so hes making sure the people he brings in can be taught Tony, Tim, or Bud. Who knows.

Point is just because the Spurs historically haven't signed a player like Blatche doesn't mean they shouldn't. Whether they do or not is a different question. But people on here can't bemoan the point that the Spurs never get any players or talent, and then complain and disregard potential acquisitions of it. Admittedly Blatche has red-flags (one of the reasons the Spurs could potentially get him), however there isn't some perfect savior player out there to save the Spurs. there isn't even a perfect player on the Spurs between Manu's injury prone nature, Tony's social life, Tim's age, Neal's height/D, Blair's weight gain and lack of ACLs, Bonner's being Bonner, Splitter's fragility, ect.
    When did the Spurs offer Duncan an illegal contract? WTF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When did the Spurs offer Duncan an illegal contract? WTF?
    This off-season. http://blog.shamsports.com/2012/07/t...-be-about.html

Not a huge deal, but it did happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fck it ill take potential over bonner/blair fck it it realy cant get worse
    This 3x

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    still no news on blatche? geez.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    still no news on blatche? geez.
    No one seems to be in any hurry to sign the dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys don't understand anything about the Spurs at all. They don't sign idiots, even if talented. Ever. Really. No foolin'.
    They did sign Bonner

He is an untalented idiot

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    They did sign Bonner

He is an untalented idiot
    Matt Bonner is in no way an idiot, and he has a plus NBA skill: 3 point shooting. He's one of the best in the business, even if he goes out of business in April.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Bonner is in no way an idiot, and he has a plus NBA skill: 3 point shooting. He's one of the best in the business, even if he goes out of business in April.
    Yes, unfortunately thats the time we need him most

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Id take Darko over this dumb tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, unfortunately thats the time we need him most
    I concur

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Id take Darko over this dumb tbh.
    i'm not against signing darko, but i prefer blatche. whereas darko is primarily a 5, blatche can play the 4 and 5. he's also more athletic and mobile.

i think a frontcourt of:
    blatche/diaw
    duncan/splitter
    makes more sense than one with darko in it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump

Thread Information