Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.manuelsweb.com/ft_in_cm.htm

this gives it as you say, I'm not sure why google does it differently, probably i miss typed something.. well good to know that's solved, sorry for the missunderstanding..
    Because google says 208 cm = 6.8241 feet... and 0.8241 feet = 9.8892 inches --> 6 feet 9.8892 inches

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I've seen from YouTube, dude can dunk. He's a big SOB too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Aussie population is about to increase on this site.

Good pickup. We at least have a 4th big that isn't named Bonner or Blair.

And yes, this is it for Blair.
    he's from Bourne NZ, not AU

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks like he could lay a hard foul on someone. Other than that, he also looks like he is fringe NBA material and a longshot to stay in the NBA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm certain that he's actually wrestling that other guy for the offensive board in the above photo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, he's getting offensive alright!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like a solid signing to shore up the Spurs front line. The guys looks big enough to do the job. Hopefully the FO has in the inside scoop on his potential from Patty and Brett Brown. 2+2 seems like a green light for his potential.
    Also agree that it seems like DB could be traded.

Oh yeah, to all the incoming Aussie Spurs fans: Welcome!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's jumping to the NBA for the better lodging arrangements.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because google says 208 cm = 6.8241 feet... and 0.8241 feet = 9.8892 inches --> 6 feet 9.8892 inches
    ahhhh i get it.. thanks for the explanation, i thought my world was gonna end thinking google let me down for the first time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not necessarily the most water-tight source, but:

San Antonio have reportedly signed Australian big man and former Washington State Cougar Aron Baynes to a multi-year deal after buying out his contract with Olimpija Ljublijana for $400,000, according to www.talkbasket.net.

The 26-year-old, 7-foot (6-foot-10 without shoes), 260-pound center averaged 13.8 points per game and 9.8 boards with Olimpija last season. Baynes, a former teammate of Danny Green, is a big, physical center who could provide a nice complement to the Spurs' current bigs.

We haven't received official word from Spurs media relations, and the specifics aren't completely known, but we'll have more information has it comes along.

The signing potentially gives the Spurs more trade pieces as we get closer to the February deadline.

Follow along on Twitter: @mtynan_PtR
    http://www.talkbasket.net/7503-san-a...on-baynes.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See also:

Eurohoops.net ‏@Eurohoopsnet

The deal is done! @Aron_Baynes will be a member of the @spurs until 2014 with a guaranteed contract http://www.eurohoops.net/2013/01/dribbling/16727

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    props to Bruno and all the others who saw this coming in the think tank some months ago!

Spurs get a poor man's Pekovic, should be a decent option for the bench and definitely an upgrade over this years DeJuan Blair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to the yeah!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, surprising news. But it sounds great, I remember seeing this guy in the Olympics. We need rebounding and this guy is able to provide it. But we need this upgrade now and I do not know how fast Pop will integrate him ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    208 centimetrov visoki avstralski reprezentant je v letošnji sezoni Evrolige v povprečju dosegal 13,8 točke in 9,8 skoka na tekmo, s čimer je bil prvi skakalec prvega dela najelitnejšega košarkarskega klubskega tekmovanja v Evropi. Nekaj nižje povprečje - 12,4 točke in 6,8 skoka - ima v Jadranski ligi.

translated:
    the 208cm tall Australian blabla..

from rtvslo.si you can't get more official than that, also I'm slovenian and have seen him around Alen Omič who's a true 7footer+ and he looks A LOT shorter..

Doing the math, 208 cm = 6 feet 9.90 inches.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, surprising news. But it sounds great, I remember seeing this guy in the Olympics. We need rebounding and this guy is able to provide it. But we need this upgrade now and I do not know how fast Pop will integrate him ...
    Brett Brown was the Australian National Coach, and as the coach, he often ran plays that were straight out of the Spurs playbook. That should make it easier for Pop to integrate Baynes into the Spurs system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he may have a chance. Pop used to be slow to throw rookies in the fire (with the exceptions of Tim, Tony, and Manu), but that seems to have waned over the past couple seasons.

Splitter's slow development was due to a number of reasons:
    1) Kept getting hurt in training camp
    2) Also kept getting hurt when starting to get serious minutes
    3) Pop preferred to play him with the bench unit
    4) Spurs were winning with Blair and/or Bonner starting, and Pop was giving them their chance (rightfully or wrongfully)
    5) Pop being stubborn

However, if you look at the recent past....Hill made the rotation in his rookie season, even started some games. Same goes for Blair. Ditto Neal and Leonard.

Midseason may be a different story, but as badly as the Spurs need post presence and rebounds (things that translate over from Europe a little easier), Pop may be willing to give this guy a chance if Blair continues to underperform and Bonner continues to be Matt Bonner.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering the Spurs have been getting their asses kicked on the boards during the last couple of losses, I am assuming he might get playing time sooner than we all think. The signing can also light a fire under the Spurs regulars to start rebounding because Pop appears to not be bluffing about finding a rebounder.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On another note, it is definitely nice to see that the Spurs have a TALL physical presence now. Sorry Blair, and keep working on that J.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since he obviously plays close to the basket, does anyone know how he is in the areas of shotblocking and defending the pick-n-roll?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, I wasn't expecting this to be the first thread when I woke up today!!!

Glad they were able to get this done before the trade deadline (although I wish it was sooner) so they can see what they have in Baynes and decide if they still need to make some changes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress Slovenian source confirms Aron Baynes signing with San Antonio Spurs. 3 1/2 year deal. Last two years are team options. $400k buyout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another tall guy on the roster!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair is clearly on his way out. I wonder if the Spurs could actually get anything for him? My guess is no. At best we might wrestle a Top 59 protected 2nd rounder - so basically, nothing. But do we just cut him outright if a trade partner can't be found?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress Aron Baynes contract details (unconfirmed): 750k (prorated?), 750k, 2 million, 2 million. Last two years at Spurs options. Cheap deal for SA

Thread Information