Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, shaq had a solid PG. that's why i didn't mention him. : )
    He was okay at best, which means he was a 'stopgap,' and no better than Tre Jones. They acquired the elite PG prospect in the next draft.

The Spurs have a Scott Skiles - type PG, the issue is Pop isn't starting him when he should. Acquiring a long-term solution is the point of next year's draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can anyone tell me why RealGM seems to think Andrew Nembhard is super valuable? There was literally a thread in the forum where they had the Spurs trading Jones and two firsts (which including ATL25) for him, and the general consensus was that it was a slight overpay but that the Pacers shouldn't do it. Every stat I find suggests he's been worse than Jones and does't have any advantage over him. Is there something I'm missing? Does he blow up the eye test? The latest thread has the Spurs trading Keldon, Branham and Osman for Nembhard, Walker and Hield. The general consensus for that is that is extremely lopsided in the Spurs' favor. It feels like they're trolling, but they've been on this for weeks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I think if the Spurs continue to play poorly their players get devalued for casuals that don’t watch the team. Also Tre is now a bench player so for casuals he’s not good enough. What they don’t know is he plays starter minutes and closes games at times.

I don’t watch the Pacers so I have no idea about Nembhard at all, so I don’t know what that’s about…

Also, I don’t value Branham perhaps as highly as others here. He hasn’t done anything to amaze me. He’s a good athlete but that’s pretty much it and there’s many athletic guys around. He’s young though and can develop, so I am not saying there’s no hope for him or anything, but I am not high in him atm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the inclusion of Walker is probably what makes it lopsided in the Spurs favor, only because he has that unknown, high lottery pick aura to him still. Hield is an upgrade over Osman, at least offensively. That would actually be an interesting trade for the Spurs, mostly because I think Keldon's tweener-ness causes too much overlap and problems for our rotations and he is kinda just the odd man out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the inclusion of Walker is probably what makes it lopsided in the Spurs favor, only because he has that unknown, high lottery pick aura to him still. Hield is an upgrade over Osman, at least offensively. That would actually be an interesting trade for the Spurs, mostly because I think Keldon's tweener-ness causes too much overlap and problems for our rotations and he is kinda just the odd man out.
    While I think that's justifiable, that's not what the comments are about. Apparently the assumption is Walker doesn't fit and is not really providing the value here.

Look at this thread (I was wrong about ATL25 unless that was in a different thread. This had the Raptors pick): https://forums.realgm.com/boards/vie...?f=2&t=2327803

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs REALLY could benefit from a veteran of some sort on this roster in the regular rotation.

That is PAINFULLY obvious at this point and its one of the biggest issues of this team. I get it, they are all young, et al et al, but if you want to learn how to win and succeed, its hard to do that without someone on your team that has been there and accomplished well something.

This needs to be priority one. Find someone you can insert into the starting lineup and play 25-30 min a game to really teach this team how to play NBA basketball and truly succeed.

At this point really dont care where they find that or who it is (well within reason on whom)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems like the guy who proposed the trade was high on Nembhard based on a small sample…

Without watching him I can’t really say anything… but if he’s so high on him why propose that trade at all? Why not keep your guy?

When he proposed it he seemed to think highly of Tre Jones as well… so honestly I don’t know what he’s even really looking for. Maybe he just wants picks and thinks Nembhard is worth all that?

I don’t think so.. that’s too rich. If sending out picks I’d want a veteran player. But without watching him I don’t know if he’s that good a prospect. His numbers overall don’t look great and he’s not a youngin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I think that's justifiable, that's not what the comments are about. Apparently the assumption is Walker doesn't fit and is not really providing the value here.

Look at this thread (I was wrong about ATL25 unless that was in a different thread. This had the Raptors pick): https://forums.realgm.com/boards/vie...?f=2&t=2327803
    I don't know jack about Nembhard other than I've heard of him spoken positively.

I wouldn't give up Tre + capital for Nembhard, because even if he is an upgrade over Tre, unless he is a HUGE upgrade over (meaning surefire long-term starter of the future), then we really aren't accomplishing much and it still leaves us with a hole at PG (though maybe at backup PG rather than near-term starting PG). Just getting a slightly better version of Tre Jones while simultaneously losing Tre Jones doens't get me super jazzed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d take Nemhard just not at that price. I also think Keldon is moved by the start of next season, and it makes sense to start pricing him. Not ready to move Branham yet.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can anyone tell me why RealGM seems to think Andrew Nembhard is super valuable? There was literally a thread in the forum where they had the Spurs trading Jones and two firsts (which including ATL25) for him, and the general consensus was that it was a slight overpay but that the Pacers shouldn't do it. Every stat I find suggests he's been worse than Jones and does't have any advantage over him. Is there something I'm missing? Does he blow up the eye test? The latest thread has the Spurs trading Keldon, Branham and Osman for Nembhard, Walker and Hield. The general consensus for that is that is extremely lopsided in the Spurs' favor. It feels like they're trolling, but they've been on this for weeks.
    I wouldn't include Branham, but Walker + Buddy + Nembhard for KJ + Cedi or Doug + Blake or Charlotte pick I'd be all over. Walker fits better next to Wembanyama than anyone we currently have. I had him 3rd on my BB for that reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I think if the Spurs continue to play poorly their players get devalued for casuals that don’t watch the team. Also Tre is now a bench player so for casuals he’s not good enough. What they don’t know is he plays starter minutes and closes games at times.

I don’t watch the Pacers so I have no idea about Nembhard at all, so I don’t know what that’s about…

Also, I don’t value Branham perhaps as highly as others here. He hasn’t done anything to amaze me. He’s a good athlete but that’s pretty much it and there’s many athletic guys around. He’s young though and can develop, so I am not saying there’s no hope for him or anything, but I am not high in him atm.
    Branham can create his own shot. He still has things to work on, but he can get buckets. Something a lot of players on our roster struggle with

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know why people are so down on Branham. He’s more advanced offensively than Vassell was in year two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Not down… but his game kind of strikes me as the easiest kind to find. I don’t see anything special atm, tbqh.

He is really young though and I am always conscious of that. He could look much improved in a couple of years and make me look like a fool and that’s fine.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only trades Spurstalk wants to make are the ones where they trade away players they don't value highly
    thinking other teams are going to value these players enough to trade away assets that will improve the Spurs.

It might cost you Vassell in a trade and/or the Toronto pick and not the Charlotte pick to bring in a quality trade back.
    Last edited by rascal; 11-16-2023 at 10:41 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nembhard highlights. He looks like a gifted passer and good decision maker on the pick and roll. Considering the Spurs need for that kind of game to add diversity to their offense, I think having him would help. At the same time, I think like Scott said above, trading Tre Jones for him plus 2 picks doesn’t accomplish much for the Spurs. He’s not going to be so high above Tre that you’d fix a problem. I also have questions about him long term because samples of good production are small to give up such a rich offer.

These are just highlights too. You can’t ever get a full and complete idea on a player based on highlights alone. Thee could be a lot of lowlights that aren’t depicted because his numbers don’t look great.

I do want the Spurs to be looking to add potentially a pick and roll player to the team… they are too predictable with their passes and part of it is lack of a little diversity in their offense with some dribble penetration from a playmaker. The team has guys that can get to the rim but they are not great passers out of it by my eye test (which admittedly is a small sample — I can’t watch every game, only what’s on national TV).

Id be reluctant to give up pick capital unless it’s for your main Pg of the future like Scott said because this team needs to keep that capital to keep fishing meantime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Id rather try to get Immanuel Quickley from NYK then Nembhard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that's the first time i've ever heard anyone refer to branham as a "good athlete".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know why people are so down on Branham. He’s more advanced offensively than Vassell was in year two.

maliki can be frustrating at times when we have to watch him get swallowed up on picks but, on the offensive side, his mid-range is starting to become poetry. the problem is that his shot looks so much different once he steps back beyond that three point line. he needs to get more consistent from beyond the arc. if that happens, he'll be so much more potent.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thinking more about the Ivey trade and Keldon and the Raps pick probably gets the deal done.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thinking more about the Ivey trade and Keldon and the Raps pick probably gets the deal done.
    So you want to give up a potential and likely top 15 pick and a guy who is likely averaging 17ppg this season for a guy who can't crack the starting or back up PG spot on a team with a worse record than us?

Now don't get me wrong. I get that Ivey has a lot of potential and could very well be better than whoever that pick will be and Keldon combined but its a coin toss at this point. Ivey has minimal production and doesn't seem to be fitting with Monty's coaching style.

I don't think now is the right time to be giving up valuable offensive production considering where we are right now. Branham has been fine but isn't looking like he's ready to fill Keldon's offensive shoes. All this concern with how Wemby acclimates to the league and we're already struggling offensively. How is that going to look giving up our 3rd or potentially 2nd best scorer.

I would honestly wait until we're in a better spot to move Keldon.

I would be open to moving that pick and some other combination of players and additional picks for Ivey but not Keldon and a top 15. At least not now and not for a guy who has shown so little. At this point there's an argument that Ivey won't even be better than Keldon alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ivey isn’t playing because his defense is attrocious. Do we really need to give up a FRP to get another player like that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Id rather try to get Immanuel Quickley from NYK then Nembhard

I agree completely. Quickley and the Knicks are in a strange situation-- he'll be a free agent after this year and they realize that he's very good, but already have a starting PG in Brunson, and also have like 7 players under 6'5". It wouldn't be a case of them trading him because he's not a good player, but one of the situation and timing forcing their hand. If someone offers him a starter's level salary, it's going to be hard for them to match that for financial reasons. That's why I think it's time to pounce.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ivey isn’t playing because his defense is attrocious. Do we really need to give up a FRP to get another player like that?
    He’s not exactly killing it offensively either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree completely. Quickley and the Knicks are in a strange situation-- he'll be a free agent after this year and they realize that he's very good, but already have a starting PG in Brunson, and also have like 7 players under 6'5". It wouldn't be a case of them trading him because he's not a good player, but one of the situation and timing forcing their hand. If someone offers him a starter's level salary, it's going to be hard for them to match that for financial reasons. That's why I think it's time to pounce.
    I like Quickley but don’t really see him as a pg.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what it would take for me to say yes if I was the Pistons GM. They took Ivey 5th overall and he's only 10 games into his second year and he's shown promise. I doubt they actually trade him for those very reasons.

Thread Information