Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    no wonder there were no black ppl in Seinfeld.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    no wonder there were no black ppl in Seinfeld.
    They lived in the same part of New York as Friends and Woody Allen movies.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Racism will never leave as long as the human race exists.
    And yes, people's true colours come out during these kinds of actions.
    Mel Gibson can try to explain it all he wants but the fact is, IMO, racial statements come from within and not from booze, drugs, anger or some damn hecklers.

You Belinelli Believe It! dougp's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Sure, it just pales in comparison to the terms used for minorities. I've accepted that there are things I will never truly know about racism because I simply haven't been on the short end of that equation. I've never been called the N word or S word or G word but I know that those words coming out of my mouth have a whole different set of connotations because I belong to that race that historically subjugated, exploited and discriminated against the races those words have been used to put down and keep down. It's nothing I did or am doing; it's just the way it is. Because of that, I simply can't justify using those words in any situation.

In my mind, your retaliating with those words after being called a cracker is akin to launching a nuclear missle after getting hit with a spitball.
    Irish, Polish and Germans were enslaved through out most of Texas - did you know that much? Just a thought for you if you want to bring up being exploited and discriminated against ...

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Enslaved? I'd like to see that link. Especially if they were enslaved by Mexicans and Africans ins utionally.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Enslaved? I'd like to see that link. Especially if they were enslaved by Mexicans and Africans.
    Endentured servitude normally resulted in a life long struggle for your freedom - go read your history books, or maybe my grandparents were just lying to me about my family heritage.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Experiencing racism is something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Endentured servitude normally resulted in a life long struggle for your freedom - go read your history books, or maybe my grandparents were just lying to me about my family heritage.
    Indentured servitude is not the same as slavery. That's what my history books told me. Your grandparents didn't give you the whole story.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Indentured servitude is not the same as slavery. That's what my history books told me. Your grandparents didn't give you the whole story.
    Per definition it's not - but what actually happened is different. But if everything's so literal, only minorities can go through racism then?

Funny thing in Texas, being white makes you a minority.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

I'm guessing you don't consider Hispanics white. But even so, do you mean in Texas or in San Antonio?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Per definition it's not - but what actually happened is different. But if everything's so literal, only minorities can go through racism then?
    Depends on your definition. To me, prejudice is possible for or against any race. Racism is the exercise of prejudice in some kind of power or economic structure. Your mileage may vary.
    In numbers only. There is no way whites can call themselves an economic or political power minority.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    1. How does your first paragraph have anything to do with what Richards did?

2. African American comedians who use racial epithets use them a zillion times more on other African Americans than anyone else.

3. White comedians have always been used racial epithets when they want to in the context of their actual comedy act.

4. There isn't a comic in America who hasn't been heckled. I guarantee you Richards has been heckled before. Apparenly just not by a black person.

5. The ing state of Virginia just almost re-elected a Senator who uses racial epithets and tried to justify it. I find that strange, and much more disturbing and revealing than anything involving an alleged comedian.

I was not relating my first paragraph to what Richards did. I was making a statement based on observations that I have made the last few years.

Just watch movies and tv and see what I mean.

Personally I could care less if they call me a cracker or what not, because I am in the majority, and I do not have thin skin because of it, but it seems odd that it is ok for one race to use them and not another....that is all I am saying.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    As far a Mel Gibson goes. I've said some pretty crazy when I was drunk I think its a pretty good excuse. You guys have never said something while under the influence and been shocked after finding out later.
    Sure I have and if I'm honest with myself it was what I really felt and it was ME talking..not the booze. Just like on Seinfeld when they want to open another person's "vault", give them a few drinks and the lips get loose.
    Just my opinion. I don't buy the "it was the booze" excuse that is all.
    Just like if I were to get drunk and cheat on my wife I'm positive she wouldn't accept the, "But honey, I was drunk", excuse as I wouldn't either.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I'm guessing you don't consider Hispanics white. But even so, do you mean in Texas or in San Antonio?
    If Hispanics were white - why do they check another box when selecting their race outside of Caucasian?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Depends on your definition. To me, prejudice is possible for or against any race. Racism is the exercise of prejudice in some kind of power or economic structure. Your mileage may vary.In numbers only. There is no way whites can call themselves an economic or political power minority.
    Whites aren't even a numbers minority in Texas, right? (I realize if he means San Antonio it's a different story)

Texas 2004

White persons - 83.3%
    Black persons - 11.7%
    American Indian/Alaska Native - 0.7%
    Asian persons - 3.2%
    Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander - 0.1%
    Persons reporting two or more races - 1.0%

Breaking down the white people ...

Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin - 34.6%
    White persons, not Hispanic - 49.8%

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    If Hispanics were white - why do they check another box when selecting their race outside of Caucasian?
    On the census and stuff, it's "Whites of Hispanic/Latino origin" and "Whites of Non-Hispanic origin" as far as I know.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I will now call myself a member of the plurality in Texas.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    On the census and stuff, it's "Whites of Hispanic/Latino origin" and "Whites of Non-Hispanic origin" as far as I know.
    Well, oops, my bad ... and what was with all the this past year about whites becoming a minority in Texas? Gotta love MSM in that case.

Count me wrong on one thing.

edit - anyways I'm off to Krav Maga ... I won't be online the rest of the night, so I'll pick up where this left off tomorrow.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I think the media made it an issue of whites and nonwhites alone. Makes a better teaser for the 10 o'clock news.

My Playlist > Yours Pistons < Spurs's Avatar
    Name
    Erik Senecal
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    College
    Kansas Jayhawks
    Irish, Polish and Germans were enslaved through out most of Texas - did you know that much? Just a thought for you if you want to bring up being exploited and discriminated against ...
    I get the sense from your posts that you have little understanding or sensitivity for the history of black America.
    Making a comparison out of the Polish and German indentured servants to the rape, murder and over 400 years of racial suppression is ludicrous.

I've gone out of my way to ask questions of black people I know, in an attempt to understand the emotions and realities of living in a racist America. I've sought out books other than what our wonderful educational system supplies to get a more true telling of history.

I've tried to educate myself on the African American viewpoint on todays level of racial harmony. I don't get the feeling that you have.

Like I was saying, there was a rumor going around that they were shouting racial slurs at him before we saw where the video picked up.

He turns around and starts yelling them back at him.

If it did happen this way, then yah ... maybe they'll realize it's not fun to be insulted in that manner. If they don't, then pray they don't run into a particularly racist member of society who wears white garments while burning crosses, because they really won't like persons reaction. I think having the n-word shouted at you over and over will pale in comparison to what that person chooses to do.
    Supposedly the people who were heckling him were saying racial slurs to him ... if that's the case, I see no problem with how he went off on them. Just because he's white doesn't mean people are allowed to say slurs to him.

If that's not the case, then what he did was absolutely stupid and he deserves to wreck his career for it.

To truly believe, that even in some situations, it would be OK for a white person to resort to the use N bombs as an insult to black people is amazing to me. I suppose you don't really understand the power of the word and what it means to most African Americans.

Even assuming that he was called every derogatory 'white' name in the book, it still gives him no right to go slinging around the N word all over the place.
    Cracka, honky or any other name you can think of do not hold any of the historical ramifications or emotions as the N word does. On any level.

And I haven't even brought up the whole “50 years ago, they’d put a fork up your ass and hang you from a tree,” comment.

There can be no forgiveness for his little rant. He's simply a closet racist. Perhaps counseling would offer him some help. Whatever was left of his dwindling career is officialy over. And good riddance.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They lived in the same part of New York as Friends and Woody Allen movies.
    RACK!!!

if only the mouse had read this thread

ing friends and those other shows in superbly urban areas with zero percent black people
    i hate that

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    White Guilt is such a beautiful thing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    It can be effectively cancelled out by white indifference anytime.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    It can be effectively cancelled out by white indifference anytime.
    how would you know?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I know I'm a few pages late, but I had no problem with the apology... I'm more likely to trust an unprepared, somewhat rambling apology than one that is read off a sheet of paper or clearly practiced. Of course, I'm not really being addressed in the apology so it doesn't really matter.

I don't buy that he's not a racist, because I don't think you come up with that kind of stuff out of the blue if you don't have some tendency to separate people by their skin color. But at the same time, I don't see any value in labelling people racists or non-racists. (Especially if their only visibility in the last 5 years has been a home video from a comedy club.)

Thread Information