Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, that's a shame...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I should’ve known something was up when i saw he lives in parkland Florida.... in crisis actors

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah was thinking the same thing when I saw the winning bid dates. Hopefully the Pop/Kawhi photo isn't from 2017, lol.
    This picture is from the restaurant in February 2018 and the same paintings that were supposedly sold in the October auction are still on the wall. https://www.facebook.com/barbusasd/p...type=3&theater

and this is from April 2018 https://www.facebook.com/barbusasd/p...type=3&theater

So, the Kawhi pic could still be recent because it looks like the auction winners left the paintings in the restaurant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I should’ve known something was up when i saw he lives in parkland Florida.... in crisis actors
    MAGAt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now, I found two more pictures of the restaurant in 2018, including this one: https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...D8PWIhdQ/o.jpg
    and as you can see, the paintings on the wall are different. So, I think the Kawhi picture is old

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah twitter folk already figured it out. It’s an old pic, too lazy to grab proof sorry folks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now, I found two more pictures of the restaurant in 2018, including this one: https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...D8PWIhdQ/o.jpg
    and as you can see, the paintings on the wall are different. So, I think the Kawhi picture is old
    Does seem that way...

Looks like someone took the photo in 2017 - felt like now was the best time to post it considering the Kawhi news.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...FS&sh=2be9df4f

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man dudes out 'chere trying to get a Pulitzer for investigative journalism over whether a pic of Kawhi and Pop talking at a restaurant is recent or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does seem that way...

Looks like someone took the photo in 2017 - felt like now was the best time to post it considering the Kawhi news.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...FS&sh=2be9df4f
    Yeah, I just saw that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, had me going there...I'm way too gullible for the interwebs...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking forward to Jabari's next exclusive:

"Sources tell me that Pop and Kawhi met in an italian restaurant in New York City in the last two days, and Kawhi looked very unhappy. Sources believe the trade demand was made then to Pop. I can't believe so many dumb fans like the front of the jersey and don't worship the players and the reporters. Don't @ Me."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"Sources tell me that Pop and Kawhi met in an italian restaurant in New York City in the last two days, and Kawhi looked very unhappy. Sources believe the trade demand was made then to Pop. I can't believe so many dumb fans like the front of the jersey and don't worship the players and the reporters. Don't @ Me."

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both are right, tbh. Probably knew he'd be exposed, and started his bull .

The only way we regain any power in this situation is if we give him the supermax though, right? Then we can trade him to whoever is willing to give us the best package.
    Kawhis group will aim for a sign and trade to maximize his earning potential & make up for the supermax loss. Only spurs can give it to him. Spurs still have some sort of leverage. Earning through endorsement talk i don't buy because theres always a risk he wont be healthy in the future. Uncle wants house money in set contracts first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of people like to blame PATFO for not being able to bring superstars to play with Kawhi. But Kawhi is part of the reason for the lack of free agents coming to San Antonio. Players want to build superteams and/or play with their friends. What superstars or any players in general are close friends with Kawhi? Serious question.

Jonathon Simmons used to talk about him and Kawhi speaking & being cool off court so that's one. But did Kawhi do what other superstars do and go to bat for him last summer? Has Kawhi ever had a talk with PATFO and say he's unhappy with the direction of the team, his future, the pieces around him, anything? Tim was consulted on roster moves has Kawhi said he wants that same pull and have a say on the types of players he wants to play with? Yea he deferred to Timmy, Manu, & Tony but Pop told him to stop doing that and BE A LEADER. He's a great player and been the best Spur for a while now but if doesn't have the locker room on his side what kind of #1 is he?

Most players half joking say they have never even heard him speak. Even his poor man's Windhorst, Jabari Young, has noted that Kawhi stays to himself is only about his family and people who been with him since the pre NBA days. All the Kawhi fans need to acknowledge is part in all this. If he had a problem and never said anything to PATFO how the were they supposed to fix it. If he said nothing when theny were treating him like he was Duncan 2.0 and gave him room to grow into the leader he needed to be yet he chose to not have a conversation with Pop or Ime or anybody than he is largely to blame for this mess.

However, Kawhi doesn't shoulder all the blame. Pop & co do need to acknowledge than the good old days are gone. Players now arent like the Timmys of yesteryear. They will say they want to win and be coached by a GOAT but what they really want is stats, individual accolades, & their ego stroked. If they win a ring in the process great if not they want those year end awards a shot at being an Allstar and getting paid. Times have changed and they need to adjust or become extinct.

TL;DR: both sides ed up and anyone trying to blame one side over the other is obviously showing their bias.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just the future of the franchise, but it let's have some wine. Smh. These drunk s running the Spurs to the ground.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don’t trade Kawhi unless you have a chance to pick in the top 2-3 of the draft, or get back a guy you think can become a top 10 player in the league who is 1-2 years in the league as anything more = about to get expensive. The supermax is crippling, but so is overpaying mediocre players.

Kawhi stands to lose out by not taking the supermax and he will not sign an extension with a new team after a trade because of how much the cap has skyrocketed and how much it would cost him. This could impact his trade value. But you know what impacts his possible monetary earnings? Moping around next year and playing <70 games. He has to realize the Spurs hold all the good cards here ... for now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is actually CIA Pop at his finest

1. Dangle the idea of a supermax and repaired relationship if Kawhi camp can show he's healthy, or play healthy, then get the offer.
    2. Kawhi's camp leaks that he's almost 100...96 or 97% to be exact. Lol.
    3. Squash his dreams by telling him that they aren't going to offer him the max, in part due to his antics, and in part to better the teams chances of landing Lebron.
    4. Now after already acknowledging that he was healthy, he cannot pull an oh, I need surgery load of BS, without letting the whole league know he's a selfish whiner.
    5. Own his ass, and expect health, for one more year. Or trade a self-acknowledged healthy player, there by garnering max trade value.

6. in Pop.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So its obviously been reported that he wants to go to LA. With the draft on Thursday, most likely all the trade discussions involved revolve around high picks in the draft with certain teams. It keeps getting brought up that if Kawhi doesn't agree to sign then teams aren't going to want to give up as much. Why does Kawhi want LA exactly just for the market? If he gets traded he would have to be gone in the next week, BEFORE free agency. The Lakers would have to give up some of the top prospects they have to get him. So Kawhi would be committing to sign with them before knowing what players they could even get? Lebron and PG may not even end up on the Lakers, and if so then what? Its going to be the Kawhi Ball duo? Theres about the same risk with any other team with that 1 year deal.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When was the last time Pop traded a player to a Western Conference team? 10 years? 20? never?
    There aren't many Spurs trades, however 6 of the last 13 have been to Western Conference teams.

Last 13, stopping at Scola mentioned by another poster.

Diaw to Utah July 8, 2016.

[Splitter to Hawks 2015]

[3 trades to EC in 2013/14, De Colo the biggest name]

T.J. Ford, Richard Jefferson and [Festus Ezeli] to Warriors March 15, 2012

[Hill to Indianapolis 2011]

[Ratliff to Charlotte 2010]

[Bowen, Oberto & Thomas to Milwaukee 2009]

Dragic to Suns 2008

Barry, Elson & [Beaubois] to Seattle 2008

Udrih to Minnesota 2007

Bulter & Scola to Houston 2007

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To all the people talking about “SA should have put more around” or “they needed to get Kawhi more talent” or “look at this Pau/Mills contracts” please stop.

SA landed one of the biggest FA scoops of the past 5 years, whether it worked out fully or not. They put a team around Kahwi that got to a Western Conference Finals. That same team damn near won 50 games without him this season even though they were in shock at what was going on with Kawhi. They beat HOU in HOU in the playoffs without Kawhi being there to get to a WCF.

Yes, they gave Pau/Mills bad deals, but HOU gave Ryan Anderson a worse one. Plenty of good teams have done that but unlike SA, they haven’t continued to win and don’t have a better path to flexibility or youth as SA.

Also, I find it really hypocritical that people bash SA not trying to put “more” around Kawhi but also bash things like the Pau deal. The Pau deal is a direct result of them taking their shot to land another huge star. So because it didn’t work out and they had to make a deal with Pau to even have the chance, we will disparage them?

Makes no sense. SA without high picks has landed other good talent starting with a legit all-star in LMA to pair with Kawhi. They took some swings at adding more while also rebuilding on the fly with youth (Murray, White, Kyle, Bertans). They got Rudy Gay, kept Danny Green and did many other great things while giving the team a shot at GS if some things broke their way all the while not being in salary cap like CLE whether they lose their star or not.

Even HOU is in an awful spot and they got just as far as SA has and SA as CURRENTLY constructed with a healthy and engaged Kawhi would have beat this HOU team that might not even get to stay together and HOU has no picks or youth to show for it either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Add in, some of this falls on Kwahi's shoulders too. Harden recruited paul to Houston. Draymond recruited Durant to GS ... Kwahi hasn't done that... he complains about not getting other etlite players around him. What has he done to make this happen? Its not like the Spurs have refused to pay players.

Thread Information