My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The first four will be something like:

1. Wembanyama
    2. Henderson
    3. Brandon Miller
    4. Amen Thompson

There will probably be teams that really really want Amen Thompson.
    Assuming off court issues don't prevent it, Miller is probably #2 now in most GMs eyes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly don't think the Tournament performances matter that much as far as evaluating players for NBA GMs. It does, but they really focus on the potential they believe they see in those young guys and how they could develop it.
    This... Most of the freshman guys take a back seat to older players with seniority in the college game. Take the Kansas Arkansas game, the 3 guys that ate going to make the most money and have the best pro careers barely made a dent as coaches leaned on their upperclassmen...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s gonna be interesting is say the spurs land the #4 pick… it’s the question that is asked every year do you draft best player available or fit? Amen Thompson most likely is the best available but do we do that when we’re trying to develop Vassell and Branham who play the same position.
    I think the trouble starts at 5. I'm comfortable taking any of Wemby (duh), Brandon Miller (strictly on bball), Scoot (yeah, I've cool down on him as a potential franchise player due to finishing & shooting issues plus his game has stagnated somewhat, but I still believe in his athleticism, ball handling and play making skills), and Cam Whitmore (last high upside guy with solid floor). From then on it's all out gambles (Thompson twins) or lower upside (Anthony Black, Gradey , Jarace Walker, Keyonte George, etc.). I'm all for trading down if the cir stances are favorable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Wembanyama
    2. Henderson
    3. Brandon Miller
    4. Amen Thompson
    I think Detroit, Charlotte, Portland, Indiana go for Miller at no. 2, while Houston, Orlando, Washington and us go for Scoot.
    Starting with Portland (last year Mike Schmitz took the third Thompson twin), Houston, Washington and Orlando. I very much doubt he falls outside the top 10, there's always someone who can't help to bite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I There's more chatter about Ausar, too, by those who see his defense and shooting as better than his brother. We're still seeing those in mocks and I really don't see that changing a ton. So, yes, thinking Miller goes 2...

1. Wembanyama
    2. Miller
    3. Henderon
    4. Amen
    5. Jarace?
    6. Ausar

Just saying that the athletic profile of the twins are so salivating that teams will want them. If the Spurs get, like, a 5 or 6, they could swap down two or three spots for a player they still value/value more and draw some additional draft capital in this draft or otherwise.

One hidden value are those salary structures. Do the Spurs value taking a player they like at 8 or 9 rather than a swing at an athletic uncertainty at 3 or 4? Yes, I'd say.

Anyway, the point is that I don't think it's solely the 2 or even just the 2 or 3 that could be attractive to other teams. Would it suck to see the team trade down if they don't get Wemby? Sure, but bigger picture it's probably a smart potential move, if it's available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miller should go for a couple of easy baskets to gain confidence, rather than jacking up threes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miller should go for a couple of easy baskets to gain confidence, rather than jacking up threes.
    It's the disease of modern-day basketball. Threes aren't falling? Jack up more threes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Julian Reese SF - Is having a really good series so far

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is Miller 20 years old as a freshman?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Wembanyama
    2. Henderson
    3. Brandon Miller
    4. Amen Thompson

Not enough to trade up for him knowing we won’t pick him. I think there are big markets for 2 and 3, and then it gets murkier, and certainly not two lottery picks for a return. If you can’t get Wemby, 2 is your best bet. You will have teams wanting Miller, and teams wanting Scoot, a larger bidding field.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not enough to trade up for him knowing we won’t pick him. I think there are big markets for 2 and 3, and then it gets murkier, and certainly not two lottery picks for a return. If you can’t get Wemby, 2 is your best bet. You will have teams wanting Miller, and teams wanting Scoot, a larger bidding field.
    That's not how it works. And I just explained to you why further picks might be attractive. It's happened plenty of times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Jay Williams Memorial Cursed #2 pick. Honestly, this board has been ting on the Thompson twins and Scoot, but they are good prospects and possibly very good. Trading down isn't impossible - it's happened before, certainly - but definitely harder than we'd perhaps want.
    The problem is if the player you want may be going from #2 to #8, getting him at #2 may actually be worse because of the extra salary you'll pay and the possibility that it will all (that #2 overall thing) go to his head.

If that's the case, I don't know why you'd try to "trade into" that situation and give up multiple assets to do so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, gun or no gun, Miller might be too good to pass up at #2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don’t anticipate the spurs trading back from their pick even if it isn’t a top 3 tbh. I think they’d just reach for the guy they like in the draft at their pick if it’s 4-6.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't believe the best scoring prospect is in this game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I am torn is that I really like Sochan and I wonder if he would be better being kind of our Point Forward and having the ball in his hands vs getting a traditional PG? Yes, that all depends if we don't get Wemb. if that happens I am kind of torn who to get the more I look the more I am not liking what I am seeing maybe looking to deep?

Miller - Just as a basketball player I really like him as I think he has a very high floor and has some upside and would fit in perfectly with Sochan and Vassell. He would give us that 3 pointing shooting we desperately need plus he is also a very good rebounder which we need so a very good fit....But he got other issues..............

Henderson - Exstatic has me guessing myself with him but I think I am with him I don't know if Scoot can match his hype and could just be an athletic 6'2 PG - outside shooting is a legit concern?

Amen/Ausur - Same as Henderson as far as shooting and I agree with Mr. Body I think when it's all done Ausur will have a much better NBA career then Amen. Not able to shoot kills almost every player unless you a shot blocking/rebounding big and I don't know if Amen will every be able to shoot?

Whitmore - I think is a better Keldon has a nice floor but I don't see him with a high upside what you see is what you get - but still would slide in as starting SF pretty quick.

Black - He screams Spurs and if it's any other year then this I think we would be looking at getting him but if we drafting in top 4 that is to rich for me. He brings a lot of little stuff but you got to score in the NBA and is offensive game has some issues

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My pessimistic view of Black is that you're essentially going to use a Top 10 pick for a younger version of a guy you just traded for the #24 pick and a future swap (Derrick).

With that said, I still kind of like the idea of getting Whitmore and Black if we don't get Wemby or Miller (really warming up to him, even with the gun issue)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston really needs scoot, Detroit / Miller , S.A any of the three ( add Wemby )

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My pessimistic view of Black is that you're essentially going to use a Top 10 pick for a younger version of a guy you just traded for the #24 pick and a future swap (Derrick).

With that said, I still kind of like the idea of getting Whitmore and Black if we don't get Wemby or Miller (really warming up to him, even with the gun issue)
    Black is not White. Look at Black through Giddey goggles. But with more defensive and intangibles. I like Black. A lot. But I get that he’s a stretch inside the top 5 but I’d love to see him in a Spurs jersey.

Pace, floor general, adaptable when his offense isn’t there, defense oriented… I really like Blacks potential as a team player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think a lot of folks might owe Brandon Miller an apology. He’s going #2.

https://patch.com/alabama/tuscaloosa...ps-murder-case

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That caught my eye too. Was he stoopit and held back a few years? Red flag

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I There's more chatter about Ausar, too, by those who see his defense and shooting as better than his brother. We're still seeing those in mocks and I really don't see that changing a ton. So, yes, thinking Miller goes 2...

1. Wembanyama
    2. Miller
    3. Henderon
    4. Amen
    5. Jarace?
    6. Ausar

Just saying that the athletic profile of the twins are so salivating that teams will want them. If the Spurs get, like, a 5 or 6, they could swap down two or three spots for a player they still value/value more and draw some additional draft capital in this draft or otherwise.

One hidden value are those salary structures. Do the Spurs value taking a player they like at 8 or 9 rather than a swing at an athletic uncertainty at 3 or 4? Yes, I'd say.

Anyway, the point is that I don't think it's solely the 2 or even just the 2 or 3 that could be attractive to other teams. Would it suck to see the team trade down if they don't get Wemby? Sure, but bigger picture it's probably a smart potential move, if it's available.
    Ausar shot mechanics are way better than Amen, i think he could go higher than the predictions.

I'm starting to think Jarace will be the guy if we end up with a pick 6 or 7. Really good defender, can shoot, drive, i like the fact that he could play the 3-4-5. The lineup with Sochan could be crazy. The ceilling may look lower than others but i have a lot certainties with him.

Black is not White. Look at Black through Giddey goggles. But with more defensive and intangibles. I like Black. A lot. But I get that he’s a stretch inside the top 5 but I’d love to see him in a Spurs jersey.

Pace, floor general, adaptable when his offense isn’t there, defense oriented… I really like Blacks potential as a team player.
    Agreed overall but i don't see Black as good as Giddey, the passing of Giddey was off the charts. i'm ok with you he could be a real good pick at the end of the top 10 but not higher. I see him more as a really good role player than a potential 1-2-3 best player on a team.

Maybe because he was born at the end of the 2002 year ( 22th of november).
    Last edited by duncan2150; 03-19-2023 at 09:31 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 current Spurs are younger than him
    He'll be 21 in November
    Last edited by Maddog; 03-19-2023 at 11:24 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has a late birthday and probably failed / held back a grade. He and Gradey are on the same boat minus the failing and/or being held back. ( both have late birthdays / started kindergarten at 6 I’m suspecting )

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 current Spurs are younger than him
    He'll be 21 in November
    The majority of his senior year in High School he was 20
    He's about 4 months older than Wesley and 6 months older than Sochan, Branham and Barlow. In basketball terms I don't think it's very relevant, it's not like his success in College is predicated on exploiting younger and less physically imposing guys. His development timeline was likely behind his class for some reason, but I wouldn't be too harsh on this, he's been extremely successful in his freshman season, and that'd still be impressive if we were talking about a sop re, when that makes more of a difference than actual age (within certain limits, of course).

Thread Information