Page 59 of 152 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 3786
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many inmates have died in Sheriff Joe Arpaio's jails? Who knows, but it's a big number.

From 1996 to 2015, the suicide rate among jail deaths in Sheriff Joe Arpaio's lockups was an astounding 24 percent, with 39 of the 157 hanging themselves.

Furthermore, of the 157 deaths listed on the sheriff's watch on the M.E.'s chart, 34 simply are tagged as having been found dead with no explanation as to cause of death. More mysteriously, another 39 died in the county hospital without explanation. That's 73 deaths — nearly half of all deaths — that county authorities list as "who knows?"

Searching other databases (the Office of the County Medical Examiner's and the Office of Risk Management's, as well as the U.S. Department of Justice's) revealed that close to 160 people have died in Arpaio's jails.

But that is an estimate, because the truth is that no outside authority keeps track of how many people die from brutality, neglect, disease, bad health, or old age in Arpaio's jails.

Like the Torrez case, some deaths, which the county does not feel important enough to track or tell the truth about, occurred while the inmate was awaiting trial—not convicted of anything. Meanwhile,
    a convicted sheriff walks among us, preparing for his 2016 campaign.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/1...28Daily+Kos%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    executed him with ease
    he had just stabbed someone

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=Trill Clinton;8307082]

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    does anybody believe that Dothan is unique, in the slave states, in the red states, anywhere in USA?
    But isn't Chicago a democratically run city? They apparently have been corrupt when it comes to the police.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he had just stabbed someone
    allegedly and he is owed due process. didn't you say you wanted the san bernardino shooters taken alive?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    allegedly and he is owed due process. didn't you say you wanted the san bernardino shooters taken alive?
    TSA waits for all the facts to be in before assessing judgement.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But isn't Chicago a democratically run city? They apparently have been corrupt when it comes to the police.
    All big cities, all politics, are corrupt, and police depts aren't "political". Blue cities, red states, all the PDs will execute anybody for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

if he was white they would have taken him to burger king

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    No I said I wanted them shot in the stomachs and left to die by bleeding out slowly.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    TSA waits for all the facts to be in before assessing judgement.
    Did the guy drop the knife after two rounds of beanbags?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

trigger-happy, blood-thirsty, murderous police delivering conscientious mental health care.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No I said I wanted them shot in the stomachs and left to die by bleeding out slowly.
    could have sworn you said you wish they'd taken one of them alive.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WATCH: Georgia cop threatens black motorist after telling him ‘I don’t care about your people’

A clearly confused and racist Georgia cop was caught on dashcam telling a driver during a traffic stop, “I don’t care about your people,” and then threatening him.
    On November, 16, officer Maurice Lawson of the Cobb County police department pulled over 33-year-old middle school teacher, Brian Baker for allegedly speeding.

During the stop, three officers would surround Baker’s car to issue him a citation.

After Baker received the citation, he merely asked officer Lawson if he could leave, to which Lawson replied, “Leave. Go away. Go to Fulton County. I don’t care about your people, man, go.”

When Baker questioned the officer’s remarks, Lawson threatened him by saying, “Do you want to step out of the car and talk to me?”

“Why do you need me to step out of the car?” Baker asks.

“Go back to Fulton County, sir.”

Whether he knew it or now, Baker

Baker then drove off, at which point Lawson vented to his fellow officers about how people who don’t immediately prostrate themselves before his almighty badge, anger him.

“I lose my cool, man, every time. Why do I got to deal with (stuff) like that? This is the f**king America we live in, ain’t it?”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/watc...e+Raw+Story%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This man took on the FBI over Internet privacy for 12 years — and he won

the Patriot Act vastly expanded the scope of what an NSL could be applied to; they have been used to obtain credit reports, banking information, internet records, phone and email records. The FBI greatly increased the number issued; according to a 2007 inspector general’s report , the NSL that Merrill was handed by the agent was one of nearly 57,000 issued that year.

All of those thousands of NSLs were accompanied by a non-disclosure agreement, or “gag order” – which barred recipients were ever disclosing that they had received an NSL – even to the person whose records were being sought.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/this...e+Raw+Story%29

that's 150+ NSLs per each of 365 days.

... and FBI totally missed the Boston Marathon bombers.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-07-2015 at 04:45 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Witness Lied About Seeing Man With Firearm Before He Was Gunned Down By Police

On Monday afternoon, Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez announced Officer George Hernandez will not be charged for shooting Ronald Johnson in the back as he fled. During a press conference about the fatal shooting, which happened in October 2014, Alvarez referenced a witness who claimed he saw and heard Johnson with a gun. That gun was used to justify the officer’s use of force.

But according to the witness’ deposition, he actually made everything up. According to attorney Michael Oppenheimer, who is working with Ronald Johnson’s mother, Dorothy Holmes, Witness A admitted that he did not hear a gun or see Johnson with one.

“I had no thought. Or the idea of a gun wasn’t really a thing until [the detectives] presented the idea to me, or the situation to me,” the witness reportedly testified said in the deposition. “By the time I had the conversation with the state’s attorney, I’d already conjured this notion, this story.

The story that I told her was the story that we had, me and the detectives, logically [come] to because of the situation and what they presented to me.

Everything was already defined and clear to me, spoken to me by the detectives, at that point. So when I went in to have that conversation…there was a clear line of events and things that were already going to be in the story.”

“It was a lie that I thought it was a gun,” he responded, when asked if he lied about the gun. “I made up hearing — I made up the gun. The detectives let me know that the situation was a situation in which they knew where they were going to go. My testimony was to say, to give, testimony…to that.”

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...own-by-police/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just another dead TX prisoner, among 100s, executed by jail staff

Three Texas jail officers face firing over death of man in custody

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-te...e=domesticNews

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago's "Black Site" Police Scandal Is Primed to Explode Again

In May, the city agreed to pay $5.5 million inreparations to more than 50 people tortured into giving confessions in the 1970s and 1980s under police commanderJon Burge, who was convicted in 2010 and sentenced to four and a half years in federal prison for his role.

"Homan Square is kind of the elephant in the room with regard to all that's going on—the police shootings and the videotapes and all of that," Taylor says.

"Whether it's Burge's torture, Homan Square, or shooting down unarmed African American young men.

Whether it's transparency and properly disciplining the kinds of cops who repeatedly do these things.

All of this is part of an integrated whole that needs to be looked at. Until you start to view it all as a systemic problem, you’re not going to be able to attempt to remedy any of it."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/12/rahm-emanuel-chicago-police-homan-square-scandal

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

FBI arrests former Long Island police chief over malicious beating of suspected car burglar

The FBI on Wednesday arrested James Burke, a former police chief of New York’s Suffolk County, for beating a man suspected of breaking into his car in the latest accusation against a U.S. law enforcement officer of violence, according to local media.

Burke, who resigned in October as police chief amid a federal investigation of the 2012 incident, was expected to be arraigned in federal court in Suffolk County on Long Island. He surrendered to FBI agents at his home, local media reported.

U.S. Attorney Robert Capers declined to comment on the case, including what charges Burke faces. The Federal Bureau of Investigation and Burke’s lawyer, Joseph Conway, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Burke’s 31-year career in law enforcement ended as federal authorities probed allegations that he beat a suspect accused of stealing a duffel bag from his car in 2012.

The suspect, Christopher Loeb, filed a federal lawsuit against Burke and the county in February. The lawsuit said Loeb was “beaten, terrorized, chained to the floor and threatened” by Burke and other police officers.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/fbi-...e+Raw+Story%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DA Says Cop Was 'Justified' in Pummeling Man for His 'Foul Mouth'

In keeping with established policy, Deputy Thomas Ford’s termination will be revised to a paid suspension.

Deputy Thomas Ford of the Denver Sheriff’s Department, who was fired in August 2014 for excessive force after slugging a drunken, foul-mouthed prisoner, will be reinstated to his job, thanks to a decision by the Career Service Board.

This means, in effect, that the “punishment” for Ford’s act of aggravated assault would be a 14-month paid vacation. Two other deputies involved in the incident, including one who covered up Ford’s act of aggravated assault by refusing to report it, were reinstated by the Career Service Board last month.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/da-says-cop-was-justified-pummeling-man-his-foul-mouth

So the police PUNISH, EXECUTE people without due process, without loss of job.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    they didn't plant anything.

they were gifts.

very giving........these white officers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this shooting was ruled accidental

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Court Says Cons utional Violations By Law Enforcement Are Perfectly Fine As Long As They Happen Quickly

As Justice Kapsner notes, the justification for the search was entirely bogus, what with the ID checks returning nothing incriminating and the narcotics detective not finding either of the vehicle's occupants to be known to him as drug traffickers.

Then he goes after the majority opinion's "reasonable amount of time" justification.

The majority's decision may seem reasonable given the officers' inquiries unrelated to the traffic stop were relatively quick, the time required to search a passenger vehicle is short, and it turned out Walker did, in fact, possess contraband.

However, its holding articulates a rule that subjects citizens to cons utional violations merely because those violations can be completed quickly.

Both this Court and the United States Supreme Court have stated law enforcement must conclude a seizure when the purpose for the seizure has been completed. See Rodriguez v. United States, 135 S.Ct. 1609, 1612 (2015); State v. Deviley, 2011 ND 182, ¶ 9, 803 N.W.2d 561.

Yet, the rule the majority articulates today gives law enforcement the approval to use seizures as leverage for compelling citizens into self-incriminating action by simply prolonging detainment until the citizen acquiesces in the officer's demands: "If I can search your vehicle, I'll let you go."

Extending seizures in this manner is contrary to our precedent and in conflict with United States Supreme Court holdings.

Unfortunately, that is the upshot of the
    Rodriguez decision.

Rights can be violated, but the violations need to occur expeditiously. It would have been nice to see the court take a swing at the officer's "but they were travelling from a state where marijuana is legal" rationalization for the stop, but I guess we'll take what we can get. In this case, it's hardly anything. The evidence -- and the charges stemming from them -- remain valid.
    https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-quickly.shtml

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Los Angeles deputies shoot and kill African-American man who is walking away from them

video, and they kept firing after he was down.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/los-...e+Raw+Story%29

Thread Information