Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would you question a strategy that clearly worked, and not question Mute Cancer shooting TO TIE with SEVEN ING SECONDS LEFT? Even if it backfired, and the ball goes in, you’ve still left Doncic seven seconds to carve up your defense, only needing a single point to win.

lol mute cancer. I like that, apologies for stealing that one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfreakin real. Jim Carrey is just as cement headed as Popped?
    Or did his Indy Pacers fail to listen?
    Ahead by 3 with Boston inbounding with about 10 seconds left.
    What a farking giveaway. Game 1 Indy at Boston gifted to the Celts.

Anyone else catch this in the PostGame interviews? An Italian reporter asked why Pop didn't foul Bosh or James before the pass to Ray Allen to tie up the game.

Popovich asked the reporter: "That must be a European thing. We don't do that here in America."

Seems a little arrogant to me. It would have been a great strategy. Pressure free throws, at worse be down by 1 with the ball in the Spurs' hands.

Popovich is an older Spoelstra. Lucky to have had AllStar, non egotistical players on his team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turns out Jim Carrey and Haliburton say the plan was to foul.

Now, both Rick Carlisle and Tyrese Haliburton said the intent was to foul on the play. But with the way Brown caught the pass already faced up to the basket with the threat of pulling the trigger immediately, Pascal Siakam made the quick decision to not risk fouling on a 3-point attempt.

However, Carrey then doubles down on Siakims uber low IQ decision to do the loser thing and not foul:

"That's probably the right decision, you don't want to give up a four-point play. Look, a lot of things had to go wrong for us and right for them. They did. We have to own it." end quote.

Mega dumb. Siakim had plenty of time and opportunity to foul as Brown shifted the ball rip thru style. All Siakim had to do was hack at the ball.

Link
    Pacers will regret not fouling Celtics' Jaylen Brown, but the mistake was made before he ever caught the ball (msn.com)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    while i know it’s the smart play i hate fouling when up 3. To me kills the spirit of the game.

but with the rules what they are it’s just a smart play

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    while i know it’s the smart play i hate fouling when up 3. To me kills the spirit of the game.

but with the rules what they are it’s just a smart play
    Also, a team that extensively employs hack a shaq to the point that the rules have to be changed doesn't give a about the spirit of the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, a team that extensively employs hack a shaq to the point that the rules have to be changed doesn't give a about the spirit of the game.
    I also mean from that fans perspective. Any one who ever played basketball by themselves just shooting around has done the whole “down by 3, last chance, 3, 2, 1 and then shoots” thing

game tying 3s are just good fun imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you need to pick a lane and stay there. Either you always foul down 3, or you never do. Doing it situationally risks every choice going against you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you need to pick a lane and stay there. Either you always foul down 3, or you never do. Doing it situationally risks every choice going against you.
    That would give your opponent the 100 knowledge of what your strategy and planned play is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would give your opponent the 100 knowledge of what your strategy and planned play is.
    So? Are they going to NOT shoot the 3? There’s no way they change their strategy, down 3. They’re going to shoot it. The only question is, are you fouling or not?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So? Are they going to NOT shoot the 3? There’s no way they change their strategy, down 3. They’re going to shoot it. The only question is, are you fouling or not?
    If I'm playing you and CIA Dipstick, since i know Popped will never foul it allows to scheme for a play accordingly.

OTOH if playing a team that ALWAYS fouls, i know i have to plan to be shooting when that team fouls.

Siakim had every opportunity to foul, and only a 2 shot foul at that. Brown shifted the ball down low.
    Lets get a clip up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also mean from that fans perspective. Any one who ever played basketball by themselves just shooting around has done the whole “down by 3, last chance, 3, 2, 1 and then shoots” thing

game tying 3s are just good fun imo
    Okay, but no team says, "well, we lost in the NBA finals, but at least we didn't violate the spirit of the game".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, but no team says, "well, we lost in the NBA finals, but at least we didn't violate the spirit of the game".
    i mean... i agree. ive said a couple of times already that fouling is the smart and correct move.

i just dont like that it is the case, to the point that i'd probably be in favor of exploring a rule change of sorts, though im not sure how that would even work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I'm playing you and CIA Dipstick, since i know Popped will never foul it allows to scheme for a play accordingly.

OTOH if playing a team that ALWAYS fouls, i know i have to plan to be shooting when that team fouls.

Siakim had every opportunity to foul, and only a 2 shot foul at that. Brown shifted the ball down low.
    Let’s get a clip up.
    The thought exercise here is what do you do, defensively,when you’re up 3. My suggestion is that you either always foul,or never foul. The assumption is that you’ll shoot a 3 ball. The only way to change the play is to NOT shoot a 3 ball,and ima let you do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i mean... i agree. ive said a couple of times already that fouling is the smart and correct move.

i just dont like that it is the case, to the point that i'd probably be in favor of exploring a rule change of sorts, though im not sure how that would even work.
    There is no good way to do it. Pop's teams always used to play the odds: no going for offensive boards, no gambling for steals, no letting the opponent set up their defense. I guess whoever came up with all that stuff for Pop left.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not shoot the second you get the ball?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CIA Dipstick announcing his strategy to not foul is about par for coach overrated

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    probably not a quality shot at that point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you shoot free throws better than you can defend? Feel like this defines the Duncan era.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brian Hill syndrome

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps. I feel it's situational. In this case that is what Brown chose NOT to do.

probably not a quality shot at that point
    Quality or not, watch as Brown pump fakes and bring the ball back DOWN.
    That is where Siakim should have done Whack-a-Mole.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m surprised they didn’t call a foul on Siakam just for being nearby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m surprised they didn’t call a foul on Siakam just for being nearby.
    :25 second mark I'm not sure Kim didn't foul him.
    Looks like he got zero ball (guessed wrong) and swatted Brown on the hand.
    Next watch Kim do the Dindu Nuffin with his hands.

Good no call.
    Of course if that is Steffi or Gaymond we're talking automatic foul call.
    But ya that game 1 it seemed CelticRef was determined to keep the Green in int.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regardless, Kim needed to hack hand and ball at the :25 mark.
    He had a clear target. Just guessed wrong.

History.
    Well mmmaybe Indy can semi shock and come back like they did against NY down 0-2.
    Without Haliburton, don't think so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Altho it wasn't a Craig Popplevich special, still a dumb strategy move by Indy with 1:12 to play.
    Indy 111 Celtics 106.
    5 point lead.
    A duece still maintains a 3 point lead as you drop to under a minute to play with the ball.

Instead, Indy over guards Tatum on a drive to the hoop. Sensing the obvious double team, Tatum does a nice behind the back pass to a WIDE OPEN UNGUARDED Al Horford for the corner trey.
    111-109.

Siakim misses, Boston rebounds.
    Once again the worst you can do is give up a deuce for a tie, then get the final shot to win or at least secure OT.
    Nope, freaking Indy fouls Jrue Holiday as he lays it in. 2+1 for the 1st Boston lead since early in the game.

Two farking 3 pointers in the last 1:12,

Intelligent strategy is gonzo from the NBA.

Thread Information