Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I mean, how do you watch these highlights and think "this guy is a wing"? Pick and pop, offensive putback, rim running the floor on the fastbreak, pick and roll and post ups. All bigmen stuff.

Then you have the spot up 3's (which is a skill required at any position in today's NBA) and that fadeaway 20 footer, which was the only true non-big thing he did to get a bucket.
    Beings center is running the floor and shooting threes? Now you’re just moving the goalposts — being a center is whatever you say it is.

Look at where the team is giving him the ball. That should be a major indication to you that he is not playing center. He is getting the ball almost exclusively outside of the paint, in space. He’s handling the ball on the perimeter. The team lists him as a forward!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beings center is running the floor and shooting threes? Now you’re just moving the goalposts — being a center is whatever you say it is.

Look at where the team is giving him the ball. That should be a major indication to you that he is not playing center. He is getting the ball almost exclusively outside of the paint, in space. He’s handling the ball on the perimeter. The team lists him as a forward!
    Jokic gets the ball outside of the paint too, is he a wing?

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jokic gets the ball outside of the paint too, is he a wing?
    Jokic, a generational talent, a guy who does things we’ve never seen before, does not define what is and is not a center. On a fundamental level, a center plays in the paint, primarily. Victor plays almost exclusively outside of the paint, other than in seeking out offensive rebounds (although he more often starts sprinting to the offense half almost immediately) or in providing help defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jokic, a generational talent, a guy who does things we’ve never seen before, does not define what is and is not a center. On a fundamental level, a center plays in the paint, primarily. Victor plays almost exclusively outside of the paint, other than in seeking out offensive rebounds (although he more often starts sprinting to the offense half almost immediately) or in providing help defense.
    Dude, are you even watching the guy play? He literally scored 5 out of 8 buckets from the paint.

Not to mention all the shooting fouls he got there too. It is hard to have a productive argument if you say things that simply aren't true, tbh.
    Last edited by DAF86; 07-10-2023 at 10:45 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Victor's repertoire in isolation should be based on face up and midrange pull ups
    more like what's shown in the video than Durant's playstyle

Last edited by Vince Carter's ankle; 07-11-2023 at 03:56 AM.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, are you even watching the guy play? He literally scored 5 out of 8 buckets from the paint.

Not to mention all the shooting fouls he got there too. It is hard to have a productive argument if you say things that simply aren't true, tbh.
    That was the huge difference from game one.
    He had more looks and shots closer to the basket. That also opened him up and built his confidence for a couple open perimeter shots.

Wemby will be fine.

It's what the Spurs do with the rest of the team and who they surround him with now that matters.
    Last edited by rascal; 07-11-2023 at 10:13 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mainstream media starting to realize his stregths are inside, tbh.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm pretty astounded at the number of hot takes from guys who seem to have not watched him play at all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

His strength depends on the matchup….. inside against a quicker player / outside vs a slower player ( big or small doesn’t matter )

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If people think the regular NBA refs are going to watch Victor get hacked and grabbed the way he was in Vegas they are going to be really surprised.

Anybody who has watched him prior to summer league knows how strong he is. If teams want to try to body him up, then he will go to the line a dozen times a night. He will beat people with size and quickness and there won't be they can do about it. The best way to defend him is the guy who drew the charge on him. Move your feet, hold your position and keep him as far from the basket as you can.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Positions are barely even a thing in today's NBA.

I'd rather not have him spend a lot of time trying to create far from the basket. That'd just be a misuse of his talents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'd rather not have him spend a lot of time trying to create far from the basket. That'd just be a misuse of his talents.
    Except center. Teams nowadays play 4 perimeter guys and 1 bigman. The bigman is the one doing most of the screening, most of the rolling to the basket, and being, generally, the guy standing closer to the basket. That guy on the Spurs should be Wemby, 'cause that's where he makes the most out of his length. At least on offense. On defense, if they want to save his body earlier, I'm fine with him acting as a weakside help defender.

The change in playing style on the NBA it is exactly why being the center and being a PF isn't the same, as it once was.
    Last edited by DAF86; 07-11-2023 at 06:27 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If we stuck Kawhi like a fly in amber with what he could do when he got to the NBA, he would have been Bowen II. What you call a misuse of his talents, most call player development.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we stuck Kawhi like a fly in amber with what he could do when he got to the NBA, he would have been Bowen II. What you call a misuse of his talents, most call player development.
    But!!! But...
    They could have cloned him at Jurassic Park.
    They would have spared no expense!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jeesh, didn’t think there was anyone more than Broussard, but that long hair takes the cake Jeesh

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

Nick Wright and Chris Broussard are literal re s, why tf does anyone care what these clowns have to say

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I apologize if this is an elementary idea, but I'm not understanding how you just doing run PnR with Wemby all day and throw him high lobs at the basket that no one can get up for? Once the opposing D figures it up they'll sag off the perimeter and clog the lane, at which point we should be able to hit them for an open look at a 3. I realize life isn't 2k... but why isn't it this simple?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone have Wemby's numbers when he plays center compared to when he's wandering around in the perimeter? Asking for a friend, tbh.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I apologize if this is an elementary idea, but I'm not understanding how you just doing run PnR with Wemby all day and throw him high lobs at the basket that no one can get up for? Once the opposing D figures it up they'll sag off the perimeter and clog the lane, at which point we should be able to hit them for an open look at a 3. I realize life isn't 2k... but why isn't it this simple?
    My first instinct is to say that the screen/roll/catch/finish sequence takes a lot of energy, and Wemby is getting gassed often. Early in games when he's fresh and late when the end is in sight (barring OT) sure, but he needs to save most of his energy for defense and the rest of the game.

As his conditioning improves and hopefully his teammates improve (to take pressure off Wemby) I can see him ramping up his activity on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the reason is cause Wemby can't set a proper screen at all

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah there was a point last night where he was at the top of the key and Jones was driving by him and he could have easily just turned and set pick but it was like a foreign concept to him.

I'm curious to see how he changes his game moving forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, he's not close enough and leaves the screen too early.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, that's where coaching should come into play. It seems like an easy enough fix.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone have Wemby's numbers when he plays center compared to when he's wandering around in the perimeter? Asking for a friend, tbh.
    I just came across this stat.

In 20 minutes of action as the center, Wemby is 8/10 from the field, and the Spurs are +15.

8:30 mark:

I have yet to see when did Wemby say that he doesn't like to play center, though. All I heard from him so far is that he doesn't like to be put on a box and that he will do everything that Pop asks from him.
    Last edited by DAF86; 11-01-2023 at 04:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't seen a single minute of OKC this season but, according to that video, Chet is playing strictly center for them and seems to be doing ok. I wonder why folks here think Chet can do it but Wemby can't.

Thread Information