Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn't lucky that they recognized and took advantage of a great situation, but it was EXTREMELY lucky that Kawhi fell to 15, when some sites had him as high as #6.
    Agree.
    "Before that draft, Leonard had to slow down his workout schedule with an Achilles and ankle injury, forcing him to skip a late June session with the Milwaukee Bucks. Between the poor shooting and those injury doubts, there was an uneasiness of teams on draft night. This gave the Spurs a chance"
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-kaw...081409439.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs were lucky, but made a lot of that luck themselves.

Essentially, the Spurs scouting and player development teams turned a 26th pick into a player most would now call a top-3 pick in his respective draft. That's talent, not just luck.
    The Spurs are an amazing front office, but the Kawhii thing was very lucky. Talent had little to do with the way things went down unless they convinced all the other tems exactly how to draft so the perfect sceenario would play out for them.

Getting Kawhii was like getting Duncan. Dominoes just fell in place. Granted, the talented front office made the most of the opportunity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there aren't a lot of guys in the NBA who can match up against LeBron and not look like they're helpless. keep kawhi. the guy is still what, 22?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are an amazing front office, but the Kawhii thing was very lucky. Talent had little to do with the way things went down unless they convinced all the other tems exactly how to draft so the perfect sceenario would play out for them.

Getting Kawhii was like getting Duncan. Dominoes just fell in place. Granted, the talented front office made the most of the opportunity.
    I guess the distinction I'm getting at is the following:

I'm looking at "luck" as having an opportunity to do something that any team would do, but cir stances make it so that it benefits you. The ping-pong balls letting the Spurs pick first and get D-Rob and Tim was good luck. Any team would have taken those two players, but we were lucky enough to be the team that was able to.

I'm attributing the Kawhi situation to our front office's "skill" or "talent" because lots of other teams could have done what the Spurs did, but for whatever reason chose not to. To me, that lack of foresight on their part and ability to take advantage on our part goes to the skill of the front office.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there aren't a lot of guys in the NBA who can match up against LeBron and not look like they're helpless. keep kawhi. the guy is still what, 22?
    Kawhi outplayed Lebron James in the last 3 games of the 2014 NBA Finals. And that's with Lebron playing at an extremely high level.

You do what it takes to lock him up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is clearly going to be the leader of the next generation of Spurs basketball. If we have to pay him the max we will, and feel good about it at the same time. All that remains to be decided is the details.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should've offered the extension a long time ago. Before his agent saw Hayward, Parsons, and Kyrie get overpaid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should've offered the extension a long time ago. Before his agent saw Hayward, Parsons, and Kyrie get overpaid
    How do you know they didn't?

Would not have mattered anyway. Everyone, and particularly Kawhi's agent, could see the upward trajectory he has been on for at least two years now (and really since 40 games into his rookie year). He was always going to get a big payday.

I'm not sure why everyone is so concerned about giving Kawhi the max? We have a well constructed cap sheet and plenty of money to offer him, while he is a worthy recipient.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like before he was eligible for an extension?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like before he was eligible for an extension?
    EXACTLY! The first time they could offer him a piece of paper to sign was THIS MONTH. He had already blown up TWICE in the Finals.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said, if he signs an extension this year, it will be for at most 14mil a year. A 4 year 55mil a contract. Kawhi is not a money hungry guy. He came from a poorer family and his father obviously taught the value of hard work.

He knows he has a lot to still prove and improve upon. Plus he is a team player is not going to jeopardize winning for being grossly overpaid. 4yr 55mil is what is fair for Kawhi. IMO, I don't think he is going to sign for the Max this time around.

Only two players have ever got the Max in the past 25 years for the Spurs and that is DRob and Duncan. Spurs don't go around over paying players b/c they don't draft or sign FA that are money hungry. They pay them what they are worth and don't low ball them.

If anything, its usually the players that want to take less so they have a better opportunity of winning.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great idea. I should start asking my boss for my annual raise a couple of months beforehand. He'd totally understand I'm missing out on the money and need it right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi should get the max if he wants it. He's that good and still improving. Ask yourself, how many players at his position would you trade him for straight up?

Kawhi's a perfect Spur...humble, fantastic work ethic, gym rat who wants to improve, a young kid Pop can be a father figure to, similar to TD and TP. I love the clip of Kawhi hugging Pop after the Finals, saying "Thanks for pushing me!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe if we wait until next year. We can sign him for an additional year. I could be wrong on that. It is obvious to me someone will offer him the max, he is going to want the max, Spurs will pay the max. To me it is merely about how long the contract will be.

Thread Information