Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hes never stepping foot back in sa

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kinda sad they are looking to trade him. Say what you want about DJ but I think he truly is a loyal dude. I'm sure he signed that extension and even took a small discount to stay in Atlanta only for them to try trading him months later. I'm sure he isn't happy about that.
    yep, he signed the extension when he could have made much more as a free agent, and then immediately said it was about showing loyalty, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kinda sad they are looking to trade him. Say what you want about DJ but I think he truly is a loyal dude. I'm sure he signed that extension and even took a small discount to stay in Atlanta only for them to try trading him months later. I'm sure he isn't happy about that.
    I don’t think their aim was to trade him when he signed the extension, but they’re struggling with no real reason, and they’ve only recently fired a coach, and I’m guessing they don’t want to be paying two ex coaches simultaneously, and something has to give.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why on earth would we give them so much?
    I think it is what it would take to get Murray back. Murray, with the team friendly extension he has signed, has a lot of trade value. Whoever wants him, will have to give quite a lot to get him.

I agree with you that Spurs shouldn't do a trade like that. I much rather see Spurs getting their PG through the draft or going after a player like Quickley, who is younger and will cost way less assets to get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will say, that if you got Murray back (or signed Quickly) while not sacrificing any 2024 or 2025 picks, then you'd go a long way in making progress to the rebuild. It's actually shocking how different it looks by adding a proven vet PG versus having to draft one.

You'd have an instant starting lineup of:

Murray (or Quickly)
    Vassell
    Johnson
    Sochan
    Wemby

With a top 5 pick this year to upgrade the 2, 3, or 4 and a potentially another top 10 pick for quality depth and/or compe ion at the 2, 3, 4. Then you'd still have somewhere between 2-4 FRPs next season to play with and make a move for another player. You could easily pull off something that looked like this:

Murray (Quickly)/Collier
    Lavine/Vassell
    Johnson/Cedi
    Buzelis/Sochan
    Wemby/Collins

Swap out Lavine with any proven vet you can acquire for some of our future draft capital + Branham, even up to a "mini blockbuster"

Alternative:

DJM/Dillingham
    Vassell/Jacoby Walter
    Mikal Bridges/Johnson
    Sochan/Cedi
    Wemby/Collins

There are endless possibilities of what you can do if PG is already taken care of that vastly accelerate the process versus relying on these rookies who we will have to wait years to develop. The two examples above easily put us in play-in contention or better with the potential for a big leap the year after (much like OKC took) with Wemby in year 3 and your two other top draft picks entering year 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure I am right but I believe the injury he has had no one in the NBA has ever came back successfully from - I am pretty sure his career is unfortunately over

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read somewhere that the Lakers had the best chance to get DJM. I don’t want DJM back to Spurs, but I’d hate Lakers get better defensively with DJM

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read somewhere that the Lakers had the best chance to get DJM. I don’t want DJM back to Spurs, but I’d hate Lakers get better defensively with DJM
    How the F are they going to get him? They have exactly one tradeable FRP, 2029.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would definitely trade one of our half a dozen first round picks for a proven nba level defensive pg. Hoarding draft picks is like hoarding scratch off tickets. Is there a player in next year's draft definitely better than Murray? Especially at the much needed pg position? Let's get a half a season head start on the next step.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TOR pick and Bran for DJM straight up, who says no (besides Atlanta)?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    stop being shortsighted, this is embarrassing.

spurs' assets needs to go towards something bigger / more fruitful.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    (a healthy) lonzo on the spurs would be awesome.

but damn, "expected to start running again" sounds awful. especially for as long as he's been out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol IGBALLER

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A healthy Lonzo was throwing good lobs to Zion previously.

Replace Zion with Wemby and the potential is unlimited.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would definitely trade one of our half a dozen first round picks for a proven nba level defensive pg. Hoarding draft picks is like hoarding scratch off tickets. Is there a player in next year's draft definitely better than Murray? Especially at the much needed pg position? Let's get a half a season head start on the next step.
    They won’t do it for one FRP. They literally can’t do the deal with us without getting back what they sent us: 3 FRPs and an unprotected swap. The owner would fire everyone for gifting us the other picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TOR pick and Bran for DJM straight up, who says no (besides Atlanta)?
    They’re the only ones that have to.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how this is relevant to the topic at hand, but I sure hope this kid can recover and play again. Hopefully he plays in safer shoes for his feet, like Dutch wooden clogs or sandals made out of rags.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They won’t do it for one FRP. They literally can’t do the deal with us without getting back what they sent us: 3 FRPs and an unprotected swap. The owner would fire everyone for gifting us the other picks.
    If they would take the Charlotte pick, Bulls pick, our 2027 or 2028 pick with a swap of one of our picks after 2026 I would do that especially with his team friendly contract. There was a lot of talk when he was traded that he wouldn't sign for anything less than the max and that was the impetus for the trade. Problem solved. And Murray could be a valuable piece in a trade for a higher level star at some point. When they traded for Murray I am sure they thought their picks would be in the 20s somewhere so they are actually getting better perceived value back than they traded away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how this is relevant to the topic at hand, but I sure hope this kid can recover and play again. Hopefully he plays in safer shoes for his feet, like Dutch wooden clogs or sandals made out of rags.
    thread about some available pg

didn’t want to make a new one for longo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would think the Hawks would want players more than picks.Trading him for Picks is really going to sink the season (not that it's already sunk) and you're committing to rebuild in a way around a player a lot of people have questions about being a cornerstone.
    On the other hand- I'd be really happy to see them get picks and enter rebuild.....

I'm a fan of Dejounte, but he's a real tough one as far as value goes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn’t like how DJ dissed on the the Spurs. And I don’t necessarily like his prima dona. If it were Derrick White, yeah. Derrick is the better and more natural PG of the two, and playing like an AS this season, helping the Celtics to the 1st seed in the East. But back to DJ. Yes he could be an improvement, especially defensively where the Spurs is hurting the most, especially if DJ would not gable much to get his steals. Ideally a lineup of DJ, Vassell, Risacher, Sochan, Wemby would be deadly. I’m sure the Spurs would start winning some games with better defense, but is that the goal this year? If DJ matured after his hiatus and come back as the prodigal son, and Spurs still manage to tank to get Risacher, then that would be ideal. If DJ plays a good soldier as a tank commander to get us top two picks, that would be ideal.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw this on the NBA subreddit from a hawks fan, made me laugh reading.

I’m tired, boss
    edit: this , I'm past being tired and now I'm ing pissed. Time for a goddamn rant about the state of these god-forsaken hawks.

This goddamn franchise is a blight on my life, the city of Atlanta, and the world as a whole. There's a damn good reason that the YMCA is our jersey patch, Quin took the team on a field trip there so they could learn defense. If you had told me I would be an Atlanta fan when I was born at Northside I would've tried to crawl back in. This franchise has been the epitome of mid, and now we even ing suck at that too. The players can't defend for , our front office is dealing with our nepo baby and the dumpster fire that is our asset management, and ownership clearly doesn't give a about this team since they've refused to go into the tax for any reason. ing .
    It was a mistake to go get Dejounte Murray. He's miscast as a SG next to Trae, and his defense is nowhere near what it was advertised to be in order to make up for it. The offense dies whenever he has to run it without Trae, and dammit is he miscast as a #2 option. I'd normally have more to say here, but much like Dejounte I'm giving up in the second half of this. Sorry in advance to any Spurs haters out there, we're probably going to end up giving them at least 2 lottery picks as a result of the trade.

Clint and OO, our "48 quality minutes of starting centers." What the happened to them this season? I know that Quin didn't play as much drop as we did in the past to start the season, but how the have they regressed this badly? How are the two of them getting bullied on the glass by pretty much every competent center we face? I know that they're not exactly surrounded by elite defenders right now but they haven't been in previous seasons and were better then. Is it because we shipped off JC for a happy meal?
    Jalen you are precious and the only bright spot in this abyss of a franchise. God, if you're listening please don't take that away from me.

Hunter, I'm going to keep this as light as possible so that he doesn't get another injury. The fact that he is the best non-Jalen defender on this team is less of an endorsement of him and more of an embarrassment for all the other players. Despite being a #4 pick and continually flashing potential, he has never capitalized on it. He's made a fortune off of it (4/120, S amiright), but it has never materialized. If he had capitalized on the flashes he showed earlier on then this team would be so much better on both ends of the court. But dammit, he never has and any fan that still thinks he will is completely delusional.

Bey is a 3+D guy with a sputtering 3 and a D like Djibouti. If we really offered him 4/78 this past offseason we're dumb for doing that and he's dumb for not accepting it.
    Bogi is a great 6th man, but despite what the hawks sub would say would be overtaxed as a starter. Defenses can too easily adjust whenever he's hot and disrupt him
    Quin seems like he's bailing water from the anic with a spork. No matter what he does, nothing can overcome the roster construction issues with this team. I'm glad he signed a long contract, cause if he didn't I wouldn't be surprised if ownership ran him off for not winning.

And that gets me to ownership. Tony Ressler. When I heard that he was buying the Hawks, I was actually excited. "It can't be worse than Atlanta Spirit", I thought. And I was right in that regard. It hasn't been worse, but it hasn't been much better either. Inserting his son into the front office felt like he was letting him use the team like a real life 2K simulation. And it's just led to baffling choice after baffling choice. We lost in the playoffs in embarrassing fashion? Let's panic trade for a player that fits questionably with our franchise star! Our GM is against the trade? Let's force him to do it anyways and then strip him of power. Our roster is getting more expensive? going into the tax, let's keep our best players past trade value and then sell them off for pennies on the dollar! Like dammit, I'm still open to Fields as a GM but with how manipulative our ownership has been I have no faith that he'll be able to execute any vision for the team.

And then there's Trae. I still 100% believe that he is good enough to be the primary option on a championship team. That run to the ECF was real, and people forget how close we were playing the Bucks until Trae got injured. He's in contention for being the best player in the franchise, and if he stays here his full career he 100% will be. But he needs a specific roster around him to maximize his strengths. This roster is nowhere near that, and frankly I have no idea how we transform it into one that is.

We're going to need to rebuild, that much is for sure. Jalen and Trae are the only untouchables. Dejounte is a sunk cost at this point, but it's better to rip off that band-aid than to let it fester. Hunter is probably a net neutral and could get and asset back if we take a salary dump. Bogi is probably our best asset that I'm willing to move, but man is it going to be painful to pull the trigger on that. Some team is going to need a center (looking at you Dallas), so we can offload Clint for something. The biggest question is Trae. Given how the NBA works I'm not sure if Trae would want to stay around for a rebuild. I think we should 100% build around him if he wants to stay, but only he knows if he would or not. And if we do bottom out, we don't own our picks in 25-26, 26-27, and 27-28. We can try to rebuild without bottoming out, but that's really difficult to pull off without falling into complete mediocrity (moreso than we already have).
    . Just.....

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ehh, Murray is sort of a clown. I was too generous earlier. Derrick White is who I'd rather have back. Seemed like a solid trade at the time, but now I need to revisit the details. His defense would really be helpful now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read that too, of course he wants to go play with his butt buddy LeBron and Rich Paul will do anything in his power to make it happen

Thread Information