My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We will rue the day when Mamu makes his first All-Star Game

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saves cap space. Minimum roster charge is 1.1. They can use up their cap room then pay him the minimum for a third year guy that will be more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like they could still keep him. Seems like a good option for a bench guy -- active, well-liked, can move the ball around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Mamu but imo he’s as big a hole on Defense as anybody in the league. No Tim protection and I recall us getting killed on the boards anytime he was in the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought I read somewhere that Mamu was at the Wemby introduction in San Antonio along with Keldon. If true that would seem to indicate he expects to stay around

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    except he said right then and there that he's not sure if he will stay

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Mamu but imo he’s as big a hole on Defense as anybody in the league. No Tim protection and I recall us getting killed on the boards anytime he was in the game.
    Man this board can't wait to play a no defense point guard as a starter but having a bench big man who isn't aces at elements at defense is too much.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man this board can't wait to play a no defense point guard as a starter but having a bench big man who isn't aces at elements at defense is too much.
    Which point guard are you talking about?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having defensive oriented big men cleans a lot of things up for team defense, if there’s a place to be weak on defense it’s PG. We’d have the wings and bigs to cover them up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which point guard are you talking about?
    Tre

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having defensive oriented big men cleans a lot of things up for team defense, if there’s a place to be weak on defense it’s PG. We’d have the wings and bigs to cover them up
    The place teams get absolutely torched in the league today is at the PG or SG position. The Spurs regularly get destroyed there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The place teams get absolutely torched in the league today is at the PG or SG position. The Spurs regularly get destroyed there.
    Spurs don’t regularly get destroyed there, they get destroyed “everywhere” that’s why we got the number 1 pick lmao. Having a generational talent like Wemby is gonna solve a lot of those issues. What’s your solution, Sign Patrick Beverley? Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs don’t regularly get destroyed there, they get destroyed “everywhere” that’s why we got the number 1 pick lmao. Having a generational talent like Wemby is gonna solve a lot of those issues. What’s your solution, Sign Patrick Beverley? Lol
    Lol wyt so yeah no defensive point guard I guess just some idiot chucker. That'll solve everything.

smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mason Plumlee will be a Spur tomorrow. It’s like waiting for the draft to happen but with dread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mason Plumlee will be a Spur tomorrow. It’s like waiting for the draft to happen but with dread.
    I think it will be him or Thomas Bryant. Plumlee is represented by the same agent as Mcderrmott and Collins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10918362[/URL]]I think it will be him or Thomas Bryant. Plumlee is represented by the same agent as Mcderrmott and Collins.
    Is the name of the agency White Ballers R Us?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The numbers back this up. No one here is saying Mamu is gonna be a DPOY Finalist, but I'd be curious to see how much his defense improves when he's not surrounded by a sieve on the perimeter.

2022-23 NBA Defensive Rankings have Mamu at #451 out of 535. So yeah, not stellar.

But then you look at some of the perimeter guys ranked beneath him...
    McDermott -- #462
    Malaki -- #469
    Champagnie -- #476
    Keldon -- #512!!!! (yikes)

So I'd have to say Mr. Body's right on this one. Mamu's got too many assets (shooting, passing, mobility, IQ) to not hope that he scores a deep bench slot at least. We'll see. Doesn't look good at the moment though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not actually worried about Mamu not getting the QO. My guess is that Champ and Mamu got them extended but just haven't reported it. I'm as big a fan as anyone when it comes to the team not cleaving too tightly to the bench players from last year. But I can't imagine Mamu being in the building but the Spurs not wanting to keep him so badly that they'd be terrified he'd sign a QO immediately if provided it. They can still pull a Walker and pull the QO really early in free agency or pull it tomorrow before things go live.

Langford would 100-percent sign that QO the second it became binding, so I understand SA not giving him that. Even if they'd be interested in bringing him back, that's a min deal in camp, not a bunch of guaranteed money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sounds like Champ got his QO along with Barlow but Mamukelashvili has not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our poor, sweet Georgian Prince. We'll miss you.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU the children shall cry from the hills in your honor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our poor, sweet Georgian Prince. We'll miss you.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU the children shall cry from the hills in your honor.
    could still be back. They just didn’t value him at 2 mil

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    could still be back. They just didn’t value him at 2 mil
    At that juncture, we shall litter the streets in gold to honor his return

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Payback for Zaza. This was the long game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can still keep him with the room exception if they want him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The numbers back this up. No one here is saying Mamu is gonna be a DPOY Finalist, but I'd be curious to see how much his defense improves when he's not surrounded by a sieve on the perimeter.

2022-23 NBA Defensive Rankings have Mamu at #451 out of 535. So yeah, not stellar.

But then you look at some of the perimeter guys ranked beneath him...
    McDermott -- #462
    Malaki -- #469
    Champagnie -- #476
    Keldon -- #512!!!! (yikes)

So I'd have to say Mr. Body's right on this one. Mamu's got too many assets (shooting, passing, mobility, IQ) to not hope that he scores a deep bench slot at least. We'll see. Doesn't look good at the moment though.
    Defense was where spurs tanked last year because it's more simple that way. Not sure Pop played one defensive drill the whole year in practice. I wouldn't take last year numbers as reliable indicators. This year is a different story.

Thread Information