Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone have Wemby's numbers when he plays center compared to when he's wandering around in the perimeter? Asking for a friend, tbh.
    I don't think the numbers matter much to the original question, which in my eyes has been solved clearly. No matter where he's most efficient, or where he can score the easiest -- Victor Wembanyama, today, is not a center.

He plays the game, sees the game and approaches the game like a jumbo wing does. That's not to say that coaching a change of playing style into him (IMO to his detriment, but whatever) can't be done, or that time and/or injuries might eventually force him to adapt his game into more of a center's (late career Duncan), or even that his most effective role today is playing the C. But the game does not come to him like it does a traditional center, or close to it.

You said it yourself a couple posts above -- he doesn't fill any of the classic "big man duties", doesn't set screens whenever possible, and would much rather dribble into traffic than play the high post. He's just... not a center, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson at center, Duncan at power forward, Wemby at small forward

Parker and Manu at the backcourt

--------------------------------------------------

Can you imagine????

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the numbers matter much to the original question, which in my eyes has been solved clearly. No matter where he's most efficient, or where he can score the easiest -- Victor Wembanyama, today, is not a center.

He plays the game, sees the game and approaches the game like a jumbo wing does. That's not to say that coaching a change of playing style into him (IMO to his detriment, but whatever) can't be done, or that time and/or injuries might eventually force him to adapt his game into more of a center's (late career Duncan), or even that his most effective role today is playing the C. But the game does not come to him like it does a traditional center, or close to it.

You said it yourself a couple posts above -- he doesn't fill any of the classic "big man duties", doesn't set screens whenever possible, and would much rather dribble into traffic than play the high post. He's just... not a center, tbh.
    He played center while in France. I think most of us saw his games while he was there. How did you not realize this?

In fact, he has played like a center in the NBA whenever Pop played him there. The old man just prefers to have him aimlessly wandering around in the perimeter most of the time for some reason.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He played center while in France. I think most of us saw his games while he was there. How did you not realize this?

In fact, he has played like a center in the NBA whenever Pop played him there. The old man just prefers to have him aimlessly wandering around in the perimeter most of the time for some reason.
    Are we sure this isn't a Wemby preference?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we sure this isn't a Wemby preference?
    If it is, that's what coaching is for. Nobody is asking to prevent Wemby from expressing himself, but he's gotta learn where he's most efficient at. Balance your touches a little more. Wemby having way more 3pts attempts than paint touches is just dumb, no matter how you look at it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it is, that's what coaching is for. Nobody is asking to prevent Wemby from expressing himself, but he's gotta learn where he's most efficient at. Balance your touches a little more. Wemby having way more 3pts attempts than paint touches is just dumb, no matter how you look at it.
    Yep, yep, agree 115%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In your estimation, just based off these first four NBA reg season games, so nothing definite really of course, does he look to be currently good at perimeter things?

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson at center, Duncan at power forward, Wemby at small forward

Parker and Manu at the backcourt

--------------------------------------------------

Can you imagine????
    No, Gervin easily at SG over Manu and Captain Late in his prime over Parker but that's close.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop....just gotta sub collins out early for trey if it aint working out with the offence

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, Gervin easily at SG over Manu and Captain Late in his prime over Parker but that's close.
    🤡

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Opponents are shooting 20% FG and 6.7% 3FG against Wemby. Whether he is a center or not, he's having a major impact on the defensive end. Setting a qualifier of 10 DFGA, Wemby's 20% DFG% (7-35) is topped only by Trayce Jackson-Davis at 9.1% (1-11) and Joe Ingles (1-10).

All of these are small sample sizes, but Jackson-Davis and Ingles are especially small. Kris Dunn falls behind Wemby at 20.8% (5-24) and then OG Anunoby is the first true comparable (IMO) at 25.6% (10-39). Note: Drew Eubanks cracks the top 10 (#9) at 27.0% (10-37).

How does this compare against other noted defensive bigs?

AD - 46.5% (46-99)
    Evan Mobley - 44.3% (43-97)
    Chet - 51.0% (49-96)
    K Looney - 42.9% (39-91)
    Jak - 37.8% (34-90)
    Ayton - 47.5% (38-80)
    Zollins - 56.0% (42-75) WOOF
    Sochan - 56.3% (36-64) Included just because I saw him on the list
    Gobert - 40.6% (26-64)
    Embiid - 44.4% (28-63)
    JJJ - 50.8% (32-63)

It is interesting to see how not only how effective Victor is early on, but how much teams are avoiding shooting against him.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Opponents are shooting 20% FG and 6.7% 3FG against Wemby. Whether he is a center or not, he's having a major impact on the defensive end. Setting a qualifier of 10 DFGA, Wemby's 20% DFG% (7-35) is topped only by Trayce Jackson-Davis at 9.1% (1-11) and Joe Ingles (1-10).

All of these are small sample sizes, but Jackson-Davis and Ingles are especially small. Kris Dunn falls behind Wemby at 20.8% (5-24) and then OG Anunoby is the first true comparable (IMO) at 25.6% (10-39). Note: Drew Eubanks cracks the top 10 (#9) at 27.0% (10-37).

AD - 46.5% (46-99)
    Chet - 51.0% (49-96)
    K Looney - 42.9% (39-91)
    Jak - 37.8% (34-90)
    Ayton - 47.5% (38-80)
    Gobert - 40.6% (26-64)
    Embiid - 44.4% (28-63)
    JJJ - 50.8% (32-63)

It is interesting to see how not only how effective Victor is early on, but how much teams are avoiding shooting against him.
    Not surprising, Sochan and Collins the worst on the list.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    This is why you don't get any pussy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just have him near the basket and lob it up. It really is as simple as that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We get it. Why are you so obsessed with this?

Post Count
    Yes are death line up is him at Center, though I think the problem is how much of a defensively liability Collins is downlow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becuase Pop for some reason won't do it. The earlier, the most amount of people realize where Wemby's strengths are, the better, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, probably to make a point that he was right.

FWIW, i think he is. i don't like seeing Wenby spending so much time behind the 3 pts line..... he's so effective and deadly closer to the basket.

I thought the last game was a step in the right direction but this game against Toronto showed that it will be a long process maybe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In your estimation, just based off these first four NBA reg season games, so nothing definite really of course, does he look to be currently good at perimeter things?
    Sorry for a late reply.

Was this a sarcastic question by any chance? He looks amazing on perimeter play, WYM? Always remember, the NBA has never been, and never will be, about just "how good" you are at something -- it's always about how good you are at something, at that height. There is no one within 5 inches of Wemby's height, except for Durant, who comes anywhere close to his perimeter play (or none that come to my mind at least).

I'm not at all concerned about %s or efficiency or the like, he's a rookie with a world of power in the form of raw talent. He literally doesn't know the limits to his abilities yet. He can try logo rainbow 3's for all I care about, you gotta stumble to learn. But yes, every perimeter maneuver, every step-back three, every dribble penetration with a guard's handle and a center's height and reach is just fantastic.

I understand why DAF thinks the way he does regarding VW's playstyle, but the NBA just isn't trending "his way" at all. I'd rather Wemby practice perimeter over and over, see what he can or can't do, and then get his position closer to the rim. One day, when we can run a 5-out offense with him at C, those perimeter skills will be simply invaluable and his true form.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imo, these days position is defined by player's defensive skillset and size.
    And obviously potential matchups.

Since there are so few dominant post bullies these days, Victor at C needs to become a thing as soon as possible.
    Collins will never be good enough to start on a legit playoff team due to his atrocious defense. And then the entire team suffers because he gets torched in every possible way.

On offense, Wemby will play where he needs to depending on the matchup. He can abuse his size advantage or speed advantage. Doesn't have to play the same way every game.
    But I can't see how he doesn't become a center long term unless Spurs get another star big to play next to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think eventually Wemby will play a Center once he is NBA strong. If you need to maximize that height advantage, rebounding, putbacks, blockshots, he will dominate more playing the post. Timmy shows his position at PF, but we all know he manned that post as a center especially after DRob and mostly the 2nd half of his career. No difference.

I know before I said KD style. But he’s too big not to maximize that playing perimeter. He is barely averaging 9 rebounds now.
    Last edited by John B; 11-11-2023 at 01:09 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

AD - 46.5% (46-99)
    Chet - 51.0% (49-96)
    K Looney - 42.9% (39-91)
    Jak - 37.8% (34-90)
    Ayton - 47.5% (38-80)
    Gobert - 40.6% (26-64)
    Embiid - 44.4% (28-63)
    JJJ - 50.8% (32-63)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    VW May stop the shooter he is facing

But the other four spurs and the other four opponents the worst defense in the league,

So VW's defense on any given shooter is hilariously moot

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby is good in crunch time as center but over the course of a full game you can see he has no interest in being a center, so it doesn't matter what fans think. And at least Pop isn't trying, immediately, to make him di something he doesn't want to do, especially something as important as this.

He's getting better at trying to set screens now but he has not strength down low and is starting to get pushed around.

But I do think they should look to get him the ball when he is moving towards the basket or on the break. But he has no post game and can't establish position. But maybe in a few years.

Thread Information