Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Only God Can Judge Me Quiet Strength's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu is going to have to take better care of the ball. His passes were ty against the clippers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp, chances you think Brooks throws Durant on TP to close games? And how effective it could be?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time for SJAX to earn his paycheck: make love to pressure, force Durant into tough shots (same goes to Kawhi) - goal isn't to stop Durant just make him work for his points, and challenge him on defense, post him up. Durant is good at covering players on the perimeter with his length, test him in the post, test his strength.

And like others have said, keep Ibaka (most likely to cover Diaw and Bonner because he is quicker than Perkins) on the perimeter to spread the floor. Spurs ran some plays where Parker rolled off a screen and passed to Diaw who became the new 'point forward'. If Diaw's drive and kick is effective should open a lot of things.

Plus we need to see a lot of this:

Last edited by ace3g; 05-22-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. Absolutely.

It is one of the reasons that I almost wish we had already put a close to the 'winning streak'. The first two games here in S.A. are not one that you want to lose. No way. Lose game 3 or 4, but the first two are super-critical.

I think this series goes the distance, and I hope we win it.

But this is a talented and hungry young team we are facing now. We will be challenged far more than we have to date.
    As long as the Spurs don't have a letdown I think they'll maintain that home streak. This will be the first series OKC is starting on the road. I think the games in OKC will be much tougher.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can analyze the other matchups all you want, but I think everything boils down to two things: Durant and Westbrook. If they run wild, the Spurs will lose; if they don't the Spurs will win.

If Kevin Durant has a bunch of boxscores showing 14 for 24, the Spurs are in trouble. If he has a lot of 8 for 22s, they're in good shape. No one person stops Durant, although Charles' good friend Kwame will get the big minutes, the Spurs will need to throw a bunch of looks at him to keep him off balance.

Russell Westbrook average 3.6 turnovers per game in the regular season. He had four total in five games against the Lakers. If he had his usual average, they are still playing that series trailing 2-3. Westbrook is also like Dean Smith in that he's potentially the most effective way to stop Durant. He looked great against the Lakers, but I'm not totally convinced he has completely turned the corner at ude-wise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can analyze the other matchups all you want, but I think everything boils down to two things: Durant and Westbrook. If they run wild, the Spurs will lose; if they don't the Spurs will win.

If Kevin Durant has a bunch of boxscores showing 14 for 24, the Spurs are in trouble. If he has a lot of 8 for 22s, they're in good shape. No one person stops Durant, although Charles' good friend Kwame will get the big minutes, the Spurs will need to throw a bunch of looks at him to keep him off balance.

Russell Westbrook average 3.6 turnovers per game in the regular season. He had four total in five games against the Lakers. If he had his usual average, they are still playing that series trailing 2-3. Westbrook is also like Dean Smith in that he's potentially the most effective way to stop Durant. He looked great against the Lakers, but I'm not totally convinced he has completely turned the corner at ude-wise.

their big 3 r gonna be tough, all 3 can create their own shot and score at will even when the defense is tight

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs will lose Game 1, but ultimately prevail in the series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC can make a lot of lemons with Durant and Westbrook's shooting and their circus shots at the buzzer

But I think the Spurs have enough depth and more versatile scoring options to pull away a victory

Although watching Ibaka swat away Splitter's layups will tell you the biggest difference between the ballclubs. OKC has incredible athletes. Anyway

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tony Parker vs. Russell Westbrook

On the other hand, let's not forget how much success Parker has had going back at Westbrook. Two of Parker's better games of the season came against Westbrook, including his season-high of 42 points back on Feb. 4. For the Spurs to pull this off, they need Parker at the top of his game.
    As if the Spurs are the clear cut underdogs and have a miniscule chance. This will be the biggest test the Thunder have ever encountered.

Manu Ginobili vs. James Harden

The Spurs will need Ginobili to at least play Harden to a stand-still. It's a tall order but I believe Ginobili will rise to the occasion.
    Granted, Harden has been far and away the better player so far in the playoffs. But unless Ginobili magically had a permanent steep decline set in at some point in the past month, last time I checked he was still the superior player.

Kawhi Leonard vs. Kevin Durant

Although Kawhi Leonard was really good against the Clippers, there's a galactic difference between Caron Butler and Kevin Durant. If Durant isn't the best player in the NBA, he's in the conversation. In my opinion, there's no question he's the game's most potent scorer. His length, touch and courage make him virtually unstoppable.
    There is no conversation; James is the clear cut best player in the league. I've still got Durant at five, but up to two is becoming increasingly debatable.

I don't have all of the numbers on this, but to my mind, with the exception of Gay, Leonard did a better job defending Durant than any other star caliber or better player this season. That they played multiple times, at least.

Tim Duncan vs. OKC's Frontline

Tim Duncan has been great thus far in the postseason. But this series won't be a stroll on a St. Croix beach. The Thunder will start games with Kendrick Perkins on him, who happens to be one of the very best post defenders in the NBA. Off the bench, Oklahoma City also has Nazr Mohammed and Nick Collison to throw at Duncan. Both of those guys will bang with all of their might.

And if that isn't enough, the Thunder employ the league's best weak-side shotblocker in Serge Ibaka. Even if Duncan is able to get a clean look against that trio of low post defenders, Ibaka can come flying into the picture to negate the effort.
    Much of Duncan's damage comes from mid range shooting, finishing as the roll man or facing up off the block and taking his man off the dribble. So who cares how good a post defender Perkins is; this isn't Bynum. Duncan is a much more dynamic scorer and he'll test Perkins' mobility and defensive range.

It doesn't matter who the Spurs play, people always pretend they're well equipped to defend Duncan and that they have a better front line. The reality is, the Spurs have the two biggest and clear cut best big men in the series.

Danny Green vs. Thabo Sefolosha

You can bet that the Thunder will use Sefolosha on Ginobili whenever possible. Sefolosha very well could be the closest thing the NBA has to a Bruce Bowen these days. He's a tremendous one-on-one defender who cools just about everyone he faces. I also wouldn't be surprised to see OKC experiment with Sefolosha on Parker.
    Or not. James, Allen and Iguodala, are all better wing defenders and there's a few more that probably are too (it's debatable in the others cases, though).

Boris Bonner vs. Serge Ibaka

But that's far from a given. Even if Ibaka cheats toward the paint, the Thunder have enough long athletes who can quickly rotate to challenge shots by Diaw and Bonner. On the other end, Ibaka will have an opportunity to score against two players who can't match his athleticism or length.
    Except he can't create his own shot and is an inconsistent mid range shooter.

Depth vs. Stamina

Traditionally in playoff basketball, especially when two teams are evenly matched, superstar stamina wins out over depth. To buck tradition, San Antonio's bench is going to have to play at an extremely high level this series. Otherwise, the eulogy to this Spurs season will include a passage about the Thunder's young legs simply being too much to overcome.
    That's exactly right. Only these two teams aren't evenly matched. The Spurs are the clear cut better team and if all of the numbers on them were the other way around, no one would be saying anything to the contrary. I'm not suggesting the Thunder can't win, but let's make no mistake about who the favorites should be.

Law of averages indicate that their two best bench players, Ginobili and Splitter, are due to breakout.

This may very well be the most complex series the Spurs have ever had to prepare for in the Tim Duncan Era. There is so much to consider and so many important matchups. It's going to be good.
    So basically, you're terrified beyond belief and have lost all confidence in the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree with it being very complex.

IMO their frontline could be argued it hasn't been the best front court they've played these playoffs. IMO Utah's is better.

Perkins and Ibaka are NOT offensive threats like Milsap Jefferson Favors were.

Then it goes to Collison and Mohammed?

Why am I supposed to be scared by this front line? Its limited offensively, good defensively but nothing "shut down" about them...

they destroyed our will to play td4mvp3's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's exactly right. Only these two teams aren't evenly matched. The Spurs are the clear cut better team and if all of the numbers on them were the other way around, no one would be saying anything to the contrary.
    that's what i can't get my head around. it's as if the regular season means jack when, in reality, all it's done is forecast each eventual winner (barring injury): okc beat dallas in the reg season and lakers, is it so surprising that they took both series? if okc had taken two of three games against the spurs, would folks dismiss that in their analysis? , for all the talk about how the spurs' defense has slipped, they still ranked higher than okc; for all the wow in okc's game, they still ranked below the spurs in offense. the spurs score more and hold teams to fewer points and have beat the thunder 8 out of 10 times in the past two seasons, if i remember right. none of that ever really gets mentioned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prediction? I'm kind of feeling you aren't too confident in the Spurs chances this series.
    Still figuring

timvp, how did Jazz Fisher do against the Spurs in 2007? was he the same Spurs killer he's been while on a Lakers uniform?
    Tony Parker destroyed Fisher back in 2007. Fisher started next to Deron Williams but Pop put Bowen on Williams for the whole series and put Parker on Fisher. I don't think Parker gave Fisher a clean look all series.

Fisher in 2007
    30.4 minutes
    6.2 points
    1.4 assists
    1.0 rebound
    25% (8-for-32) from the field
    12.5% (1-for-8) on three-pointers

Parker has never gotten much credit for his defense but that was an amazing showing that series. Fisher isn't great or anything but he made him disappear.

And remember, Fisher was huge in the previous series when the Jazz beat the Warriors. In that series, Fisher averaged 13.8 points, three assists and 2.5 rebounds in 24 minutes per game, while shooting 53.6% from the field and 63.6% on three-pointers.

We know that Parker can destroy Fisher but we probably won't see that much in this series. When Fisher is on the court, the Spurs will probably use the chance to try to hide Neal on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no conversation; James is the clear cut best player in the league. I've still got Durant at five, but up to two is becoming increasingly debatable.
    Agree with some of your other points but @ Durant at 5. He's no worse than 2nd and he's a lot closer to 1 than he is to 3.

Please tell me these 4 other players you have ahead of KD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you gays think that Blair might have his value this series?
    I think I speak for all sexual orientations when I say that Blair probably won't play. The stakes will be too high to try to work back in someone who hasn't played a meaningful minute in a long while.

This will be the 8th time the Spurs have encountered that bastar . . . er, I mean, Derek Fisher in a playoff series (1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008 with LAL, 2007 with Utah, 2012 with OKC). I'm pretty sure that breaks a tie between him and Steve Nash as the players who've most frequently played against the Spurs in the playoffs. The Spurs are 3-4 in series against Fisher.

In 2001 Fisher, memorably, couldn't miss from the arc -- he went 15-20 from 3 over the 4 games in that series. It was the first point at which Fisher ripped out the hearts of Spurs fans, preceding .4 and the Barry non-call in 2008.
    Fisher's career averages against the Spurs in the playoffs:

31.4 minutes
    9.0 points
    2.9 rebounds
    2.1 assists
    41.3% from the field
    42.6% on three-pointers
    85.7% from the line

Nothing too special other than that three-point percentage. That's obviously aided by that 2001 series but Fisher is probably the last player on the Thunder the Spurs want to give an open three-pointer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will vomit if Manu or Neal are sagging and bringing on defense, leaving Fisher open for a three.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we really need to be worried about Ibaka vs Bonner in the post? Ibaka is hardly a dominant post scorer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I disagree. If manu is hitting his three, Parker his mid ranger, then even if the thunder stars go crazy we still win.
    Spurs have the ball in their court. how many series has this team lost when the defense packs the paint and Parker and manu brick open jump shots they should hit?

If our guards play elite, game over we win

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with some of your other points but @ Durant at 5. He's no worse than 2nd and he's a lot closer to 1 than he is to 3.

Please tell me these 4 other players you have ahead of KD.
    I knew that would raise some eyebrows. I've still got James one, Wade two, Howard three and Paul four. Suffice it to say, I don't overreact to what's going on at the moment and am always hesitant to re-order the top of my list. For example, entering this season, I still gave Bryant the edge over Durant and Rose.

Like I said, it's arguable that Durant is as high as two, I just don't quite have him there yet. Despite improvements in his game, he's just not as dynamic an all around player as the players ahead of him. And I don't buy for a second that he's closer to one than he is three.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp, chances you think Brooks throws Durant on TP to close games? And how effective it could be?
    I hadn't thought about Durant on TP. They've never tried it but I'm assuming it won't work. The Spurs would just run a pick-and-roll and Durant wouldn't be quick enough to stay in front of Parker.

Durant was pretty damn good defensively against Kobe but that's because Kobe was just going one-on-one and Durant could use his length. If Durant tries to defend TP or Manu, the Spurs would immediately run a pick-and-roll.

But, yeah, it's something Brooks will probably use at some point just to try it out.

As if the Spurs are the clear cut underdogs and have a miniscule chance. This will be the biggest test the Thunder have ever encountered.
    Getting emo over wording? If Parker is mediocre, the Spurs will have a very difficult time winning this series. I know WSSFS might tell you otherwise but this isn't another Utah or L.A.

Granted, Harden has been far and away the better player so far in the playoffs. But unless Ginobili magically had a permanent steep decline set in at some point in the past month, last time I checked he was still the superior player.
    I trust Ginobili but one would have to be a complete homer not to give Harden a chance of having a better series.

I don't have all of the numbers on this, but to my mind, with the exception of Gay, Leonard did a better job defending Durant than any other star caliber or better player this season. That they played multiple times, at least.
    @ Gay being star caliber.

Duncan is a much more dynamic scorer and he'll test Perkins' mobility and defensive range.
    Link to where I said he wouldn't? You're arguing against yourself.

Or not. James, Allen and Iguodala, are all better wing defenders and there's a few more that probably are too (it's debatable in the others cases, though).
    I said the closest thing to Bruce Bowen. What part of that was difficult to understand? @ comparing LeBron to Bruce Bowen.

Again you are arguing against something I didn't say. Apparently you are arguing against the opinion that Sefolosha is the best perimeter defender in the NBA.

Except he can't create his own shot and is an inconsistent mid range shooter.
    And I said he could where?

I'm not suggesting the Thunder can't win, but let's make no mistake about who the favorites should be.
    I never said the Thunder were the favorites. In fact, I've consistently said the Spurs should be the favorites between the two teams.

So basically, you're terrified beyond belief and have lost all confidence in the Spurs.
    No. You, on the other hand, are having a lot of fun arguing against statements that were never made. Props, I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dwyane Wade the second best player in the NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westbrook is also like Dean Smith in that he's potentially the most effective way to stop Durant.
    Hmmm, don't you mean . . .

Westbrook is also like Rick Barnes in that he's potentially the most effective way to stop Durant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scott Brooks.

Or are the Thunder so good that it doesn't matter?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew that would raise some eyebrows. I've still got James one, Wade two, Howard three and Paul four. Suffice it to say, I don't overreact to what's going on at the moment and am always hesitant to re-order the top of my list. For example, entering this season, I still gave Bryant the edge over Durant and Rose.

Like I said, it's arguable that Durant is as high as two, I just don't quite have him there yet. Despite improvements in his game, he's just not as dynamic an all around player as the players ahead of him. And I don't buy for a second that he's closer to one than he is three.
    @ Wade being #2, tbh. You obviously don't react to what's going on in the moment because Wade hasn't been the #2 player in the league for 2-3 years.

Durant's led the league in scoring the last 3 years and has consistently improved his rebounding, playmaking, and defense as evidenced by completely shutting down Kobe when they matched up this last series. And he's already the best closer in the league.

There isn't a GM in the league who would trade KD for your 2-4 guys: An injury prone 2 guard already on the downside of his career. An immature C who still hasn't developed legit post moves and is irrelevant by crunchtime. And a PG who hasn't gotten past the 2nd round and has deferred to Jannero Pargo and Jarret Jack in key moments.

If Wade is your #2 then there's no question that KD is closer to 1 than 3.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting emo over wording? If Parker is mediocre, the Spurs will have a very difficult time winning this series. I know WSSFS might tell you otherwise but this isn't another Utah or L.A.
    Interesting that you'd use the word 'emo', when that essentially summed up your entire post. Anytime you say, "for (insert team) to pull this off", you're clearly inferring that they're the underdogs, because it's as if you're suggesting something extraordinary has to happen.

I trust Ginobili but one would have to be a complete homer not to give Harden a chance of having a better series.
    Who said I didn't give him a chance? I didn't even infer such a thing. I'm just saying, if Ginobili is better, then how "tall an order" is it, really? And no, that's not the same as saying it's going to be easy. Think about it.

Since you're into advanced stats, you should realize that, while not popular opinion, it's not an outlandish statement either.

@ Gay being star caliber.
    Gay is definitely star caliber; he's just not a legit star. I'm not sure what's difficult to understand about that. Plenty of players are.

Link to where I said he wouldn't? You're arguing against yourself.
    Look up the word inferred.

I said the closest thing to Bruce Bowen. What part of that was difficult to understand? @ comparing LeBron to Bruce Bowen.

Again you are arguing against something I didn't say. Apparently you are arguing against the opinion that Sefolosha is the best perimeter defender in the NBA.
    I realized after the fact what you meant. At first, I thought you literally meant best perimeter defender. Should have been more clear.

And I said he could where?
    Do I even need to say it at this point?

I never said the Thunder were the favorites. In fact, I've consistently said the Spurs should be the favorites between the two teams.
    The whole post essentially suggests that the Spurs are going to have to play in over their heads to "pull this off".

No. You, on the other hand, are having a lot of fun arguing against statements that were never made. Props, I guess.
    You are, admit it. You'll probably end up picking the Spurs in seven, because you don't have the heart to pick against them in what could very well be their final deep run. Particularly when you'd open yourself up to tons of criticism if they "pull this off". But I can tell, you're hoping as opposed to believing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @ Wade being #2, tbh. You obviously don't react to what's going on in the moment because Wade hasn't been the #2 player in the league for 2-3 years.

Durant's led the league in scoring the last 3 years and has consistently improved his rebounding, playmaking, and defense as evidenced by completely shutting down Kobe when they matched up this last series. And he's already the best closer in the league.

There isn't a GM in the league who would trade KD for your 2-4 guys: An injury prone 2 guard already on the downside of his career. An immature C who still hasn't developed legit post moves and is irrelevant by crunchtime. And a PG who hasn't gotten past the 2nd round and has deferred to Jannero Pargo and Jarret Jack in key moments.

If Wade is your #2 then there's no question that KD is closer to 1 than 3.
    Only Howard, it could be argued, was better than him the previous few seasons (other than James, obviously). Durant wasn't even close until this season.

I don't care about "leading the league in scoring"; it's all cir stantial. McGrady won two scoring les and I don't ever remember him being widely regarded as a top two player. Anthony is eminently capable of winning one or two and if he does, will you consider him top five, let alone top two?

There's no question Durant is improved defensively, but let's not pretend he's a lock down defender; he's not and he probably won't ever be. His play making is very average. In fact, with the exception of Anthony, he's the worst play making elite perimeter scorer in recent memory. Best closer, because he's made a few clutch shots this post season, so everything that came before that is suddenly forgotten?

Of course no one would trade Durant for Wade, genius. That's a different question though. We're talking right now and right now, Wade is still the better player. He's got a knee injury, that's why he's struggled for much of the playoffs. What does immaturity have to do with anything or being "irrelevant in crunchtime"? How relevant was O'Neal in the clutch? Was he not a top two player in his prime? A PG that's 6-0 and has had mostly terrible teams around him that he's dragged to respectability and beyond. Give him the talent Durant's had surrounding him, then we'll see if he doesn't get past the 2nd round.

Thread Information