Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a ing shame that this guy needs to have 4 wings out of the rotation to get playing time.

Bertans > Gay, Anderson or any other player that Pop prefers to play over him, tbh. He just needs time and confidence to be a difference maker on this team.
    He’s a better shooter than Gay, but no way is he a better all around player or scorer.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s a better shooter than Gay, but no way is he a better all around player or scorer.
    Probably not. But one player is going up and the other well, not up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously lol Gay is also a good rebounder in addition to his versatility on offense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A good team can give Bertans rotation minutes. I do think Parker/Murray, Green, Leonard, Bertans, Aldridge has the potential to be a great bridge lineup, but Davis is so erratic right now. Dude is 25 and still has developmental holes in his game. I don't know what his long-term future is with SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A good team can give Bertans rotation minutes. I do think Parker/Murray, Green, Leonard, Bertans, Aldridge has the potential to be a great bridge lineup, but Davis is so erratic right now. Dude is 25 and still has developmental holes in his game. I don't know what his long-term future is with SA.
    Sometimes landing on a good team is actually not good for an aspiring player with talent. Some guys need the consistent run to work on their weaknesses in real-time. Not all, but some.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the fact Pop takes time with guys to make sure they focus on their weaknesses and makes them earn their playing time. In bad teams like say the Suns, they would play him a lot for his shooting (a la Devin Booker) and who knows if a player ever works or improves on weaknesses since he's not made to earn playing time the hard way.

It's just after a guy has shown he can play, that "holding someone back" starts to become an issue. Davis already could shoot since last season. He had some impressive games last year too.

At some point you have to find the guy a rotation spot or let him go this summer. He's probably at that stage.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans has been pretty solid and consistent this year whenever he gets 15+ minutes.

It's all about opportunity.

Pop is slow as molasses to make the necessary personnel adjustments, so it doesn't surprise me to see how it took him 3 months to move Bertans ahead of Joffrey in the rotation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans has played over 16 minutes in only 14 games this year.

In these 14 games,

He's averaging 11.8 points. 3.4 boards .8 blocks on 52% shooting and 43% from three.

He needs consistent minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you been watching this year at all? Pau has not been the problem. He is limited against the Spurs two primary opponents in the west (issue for another post) but for regular season rotation minutes, he’s been very good this year. I hated the contract as much as the next guy, but it hasn’t turned out to be as bad as we thought unlike Patty’s.
    And who's saying he has been one? Pau has been very good. All I'm saying is that the way the roster is constructed (and the way the team will have to play to face our biggest rivals), it makes more sense to have Pau come off the bench.

You are also assuming Manu comes back. I think you can easily find minutes for all of Gay/Bertans/Gasol/Anderson. Issue is still the third big as Bertans can’t be that without rebounding and another penetrating guard should Manu retire. Maybe Murray develops more.
    Mmmh, what? I'm talking about this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if he's a better all around player but for the role he has to play and the way he compliments the rest of the team, Bertans is more valuable than Gay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In these 14 games,

He's averaging 11.8 points. 3.4 boards .8 blocks on 52% shooting and 43% from three.

been saying that all along ... good stuff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In these 14 games,

Good to see you come around to the idea of Bertans needing playing time no matter how good other guys are playing. Bertans, if able to produce at his potential, is a true difference maker, unlike most of the other guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    shooters are rhythm players. playing them 5 minutes a game and giving them 1-2 attempts per game is poor usage. bertans has a unique skill set on our team... let him loose

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember when Pop let reigning Euroleague MVP Splitter rot on the bench the first year and a half

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good to see you come around to the idea of Bertans needing playing time no matter how good other guys are playing. Bertans, if able to produce at his potential, is a true difference maker, unlike most of the other guys.
    I've always been a fan of his game, never said he wasn't deserving of consistent minutes.

I was only saying at beginning of the year why he wasn't getting minutes. The reason for that was simply a numbers game with how Kyle & Gay got off to a strong start.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always been a fan of his game, never said he wasn't deserving of consistent minutes.

I was only saying at beginning of the year why he wasn't getting minutes. The reason for that was simply a numbers game with how Kyle & Gay got off to a strong start.
    Still, that was no reason to have guys like Lauvergne, Forbes or Paul get minutes over him. And if it was up to me Bertans would have been over Gay and Anderson in minutes consideration from the beggining too.

Unfortunately, I still think Pop has no place for Bertans in the rotation with everyone healthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont think forbes or paul ever took minutes from bertans, as he has almost exclusively played at the 4 this year. those minutes had largely been going to gay

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont think forbes or paul ever took minutes from bertans, as he has almost exclusively played at the 4 this year. those minutes had largely been going to gay
    Gay can easily switch to one of the 2 wing spots and Bertans gets minutes at the 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay can easily switch to one of the 2 wing spots and Bertans gets minutes at the 4.
    our 2 wing spots aren't really interchangeable though. between danny, kawhi, anderson, and gay, only Danny sees real minutes at the 2

bball reference estimates that kawhi has spent like 1% of his career at the 2. so you've really got kawhi/anderson/gay as the 4's in our small lineups, with LMA at the 4 quite a bit, too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    our 2 wing spots aren't really interchangeable though. between danny, kawhi, anderson, and gay, only Danny sees real minutes at the 2

bball reference estimates that kawhi has spent like 1% of his career at the 2. so you've really got kawhi/anderson/gay as the 4's in our small lineups, with LMA at the 4 quite a bit, too
    Yes they are. There are literal quotes from Manu saying that playing the 2 or 3 on the Spurs system is the exact same thing.

And now that Pop is using more and more smallball, the 2, 3 and 4 can easily be exchangeable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember when Pop let reigning Euroleague MVP Splitter rot on the bench the first year and a half
    Splitter was nothing more than a decent NBA big

Berta has the abilities that todays NBA requires which makes him a far superior asset

Can u imagine Berta on the Golden Showers or Cleveland or Boston???

Dude would be a beast

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still, that was no reason to have guys like Lauvergne, Forbes or Paul get minutes over him. And if it was up to me Bertans would have been over Gay and Anderson in minutes consideration from the beggining too.

Unfortunately, I still think Pop has no place for Bertans in the rotation with everyone healthy.
    You have a point.

I am not sure what happens in a hypothetical world with everyone healthy? The Spurs have a lot of quality in their forwards and less in other spots so mix guys up more hopefully as you said.

I kind of have been worrying less about a fully healthy rotation bc Spurs are already half way through the season and the team isn't fully healthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes they are. There are literal quotes from Manu saying that playing the 2 or 3 on the Spurs system is the exact same thing.

And now that Pop is using more and more smallball, the 2, 3 and 4 can easily be exchangeable.
    and i even forgot to mention manu in my post, which shows just how much more cluttered it is.

and what manu says is irrelevant. we never see kawhi, anderson, or gay and the 2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitter was nothing more than a decent NBA big

Berta has the abilities that todays NBA requires which makes him a far superior asset

Can u imagine Berta on the Golden Showers or Cleveland or Boston???

Dude would be a beast
    Have to agree with this. Bertans on the Dubs would be deadly.

Thread Information