Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I just finished the second episode of season two ...

I think season two is the most underrated of the five; to me it had a slightly slower pace, which I think that part of Baltimore's story needed. Seasons 3-5 in contrast really are a blur to me. I don't think I drew a breath during season four episodes...

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Season 2 is fantastic upon second viewing. It wasn't my favorite the first time through.

ATrain, you should definitely watch season 3 again after you've seen 1 and 2. All of the seasons are worth watching a second time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Season 2 is fantastic upon second viewing. It wasn't my favorite the first time through.

ATrain, you should definitely watch season 3 again after you've seen 1 and 2. All of the seasons are worth watching a second time.
    OK will do I can go on season watching binges so ill try to hit season 1, 2 and 3 before the new year. i might be able to squeeze in season 4.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    great compilation of the 100 greatest lines from the show:

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    anyone notice stringer looks like horace grant

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Son of a . That made me want to watch the whole damn thing over again, and I so don't have the time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Great compilation but not enough Sabotka or Valchek.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    " it then. For another Pit sammich and some tater salad, I'll go a few more."

Wee-Bey's so damn good in that scene. "Druid hill. Behind the reptile house. You get back in them weeds you might could find whats laft of him."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Son of a . That made me want to watch the whole damn thing over again, and I so don't have the time.
    Tell me about it. , I watched the clip twice and realized I was suddenly five minutes late for an appointment. It took serious self control to not pop in season 3 tonight and hit play.

You can't handle The Truth TheTruth's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Ah boy. The BEST show of all time. Gonna have to watch a few episodes later today.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I'm on Season 4 for my second time through right now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Great compilation but not enough Sabotka or Valchek.

...and not even a single quote from the skinny smartass runt on the docks - Ziggy? He had to have been good for a couple.

My favorites are the multiple McNulty "What did I do?" quotes.

I Am Jack's Smirking Revenge atxrocker's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    . And just like that, I remember how much I want to watch this again. Some of the best television ever.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    RIP The Wire.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    would have been really interesting to see if they could have made season 6 focusing on the growing latino popultion, oh well its over RIP

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats

That was so great. I have something to do on my holidays off.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I thought my third time through would sustain me for a while. But I'm getting the itch again...

I Am Jack's Smirking Revenge atxrocker's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    Think how bad it must suck to be one of the poor saps who's never watched The Wire?

Actually ignorance is bliss, but I do feel bad for the cucks who don't know what they're missing.

You can't handle The Truth TheTruth's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Speaking of The Wire

I have all 5 seasons in very good condition for sale.

$100 bucks for the complete set.

Also have The Band of Brothers Special Edition Tin Set for $30.

PM if interested.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Rhianna's new squeeze is the kid who played Michael Lee?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    Think how bad it must suck to be one of the poor saps who's never watched The Wire?

Actually ignorance is bliss, but I do feel bad for the cucks who don't know what they're missing.
    How slow paced is the Wire? Like I said, I watched it on and off the first season but I was young back then and didn't pay too much attention to the storylines as well as I could have.If it drags and is super slow paced, I am already turned off. I just don't have the patience for super slow paced shows.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It started to suck towards the end.

Damn they should have never ______________ Stringer.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    My only complaint about the show is how bad the theme for season 5 is. I don't care for the Neville cover either, but the season 5 one is god awful - I have to skip it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    would have been really interesting to see if they could have made season 6 focusing on the growing latino popultion, oh well its over RIP
    Funny you should bring that up. Here's a really terrific recent interview with David Simon that talks about myriad aspects of The Wire, including the possibility of addressing immigration one season:

Click for David Simon interview at Vice Magazine

The interviewer calls his shot in the intro - here it is. The whole interview is great though.

"David Simon is responsible for one of the greatest feats of storytelling of the past century, and that’s the entire five-season run of the television series The Wire. If that sounds like hyperbole to you, then you haven’t watched the show yet. It is the most intricate web of character, motivation, insight, action, repercussion, and emotion that’s ever been on TV, and it rivals the grand novels of the late 19th century, when novels actually, regularly, had scope. More hyperbole, but there you go. I and most of its fans are to The Wire as a Christian is to Christ or a junkie is to dope. It’s basically A ING GOD. Too much hyperbole there, maybe. But you’re getting the point, right?

Before The Wire, David Simon was a reporter at the Baltimore Sun. During his time there, he wrote two meticulously researched and richly human books about his city. Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets (1991) was the result of a year spent with the murder police of a town where murder seems to be a major mode of employment. The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood (1997, with writing partner Ed Burns) was the result of a year spent among the families, addicts, and dealers of one of Baltimore’s more infamous drug corners. Homicide resulted in the long-running cop show Homicide: Life on the Street, which was cool and everything, better than most cop shows, but also kind of just a cop show. The Corner resulted in an HBO miniseries that was pretty much a direct antecedent to what The Wire would end up tackling.

After The Wire, Simon and Ed Burns, who is a former Baltimore cop and schoolteacher, adapted Evan Wright’s book Generation Kill into an HBO miniseries. It stands as the most effective do ent yet produced on the daily reality of the life of marines in the current Iraq war.

And now, today, as I type this, Simon is filming his new HBO series down in New Orleans. It’s called Tremé, and it is said to take as its center the lives of local musicians. But I have a feeling that would be like saying that The Wire took as its center the Baltimore drug trade. Sure, it started there. But given Simon’s obsessions with the American city and the decreasing ins utional value of life in this great country of ours, we’re pretty much guaranteed that Tremé will have the same reach and impact as The Wire. In other words, I wish I could be cryogenically frozen until the day this show debuts, because I can’t ing wait.

Simon recently spoke with Vice from the Tremé production offices in New Orleans. This is the longest interview we’ve ever run by a long shot, but come on. It’s the guy who made The Wire. You’re lucky the entire issue isn’t about him."
    Last edited by Mark in Austin; 12-29-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Thread Information