Page 74 of 388 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 9696
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody has destroyed me yet for suggesting that I may like Sochan better at SF than PF.

Sochan is more of a small ball PF to me, he’s a little lacking in height for the PF position. When we play him at the 4 and Keldon at the 3, we are really lacking height. Throw in the short for their positions Jones and Vassell, and we wonder why we get creamed on the glass night after night.

The reason I bring this up again is because of how it changes our priorities. Many are lusting after our next “long 3” at SF, when PG and PF/C are the bigger glaring needs to me.
    Sochan can play both forward positions. His main strength is foot speed. I'd actually prefer a lengthier forward next to him. There's really not much of a difference between PF and SF today. Most teams play with 2 SFs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JHS was much more of a project than the others, but if you squinted you could see some special things from him as well
    Good size and defense, pretty good pick and roll.

The problem with a player like that is that he never gets reps to develop. This is an element that goes under-realized when thinking about prospects and what happens to them. A guy like JHS developing for another year with an offense geared to get him play situations over and over in college could have done wonders for him at Indiana. Of course he went for the money, which is good for him. In the pros, that player isn't going to get the court time. G-League often can't do it, and NBA teams don't even have practices throughout the year, so the guy is just cooling his heels and doing shoot-arounds. A couple years later and he hasn't gone further.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't really paid all that much attention to Orlando, but they have a logjam in the backcourt, and looking at their stats, he's shooting 49.7% overall and 38.1% from 3 (granted, on low volume). Scoot has sucked major balls, most of his numbers have come from garbage time at horrendous efficiency. I would gladly take Black on the Spurs if Orlando were inclined to move him.
    Scoot is better than Black. Scoot dropped 30 a couple of nights ago in Denver and his numbers are coming up. Still inconsistent like all the rookies outside of Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't either way on Black, but to say he wasn't worth the pick because he hasn't shown it yet it ludicrous. Many here is saying (rightfully so) that we don't need to draft a point guard because it takes so long for new point guards to learn the NBA game, but are now saying 45 games into his career that Black was a bust as the number 6 pick. If that is still the case in Feb 2026, maybe then. Perfect example is Kuminga. Until the last 20 games it seemed like he was a bust. The light finally went on and I am certain it would take a king's ransom to pry him away from GS now.
    people here are generally too impatient when it comes to rookies. You evaluate a rookie in his 3rd season, not his first. That's where the first big leap has to come.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The problem with a player like that is that he never gets reps to develop. This is an element that goes under-realized when thinking about prospects and what happens to them. A guy like JHS developing for another year with an offense geared to get him play situations over and over in college could have done wonders for him at Indiana. Of course he went for the money, which is good for him. In the pros, that player isn't going to get the court time. G-League often can't do it, and NBA teams don't even have practices throughout the year, so the guy is just cooling his heels and doing shoot-arounds. A couple years later and he hasn't gone further.
    you need a good gleague affiliate that is being adequately coached. its what helped derrick white.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scoot is better than Black. Scoot dropped 30 a couple of nights ago in Denver and his numbers are coming up. Still inconsistent like all the rookies outside of Wemby.
    He better be, he was the no. 3 overall pick. So far, Scoot has been horrendous, he's putting empty stats and being horribly inefficient. Most his numbers come in garbage time. He can turn it around, but it seems highly hypocritical to harp on Sochan and Black while giving a pass to Sharpe and Scoot who have left a lot to be desired in many areas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you need a good gleague affiliate that is being adequately coached. its what helped derrick white.
    Thing with White, though, is that he had a lot of experience already running teams and learning the basics of basketball, so he had a foundation. Imo the G-League doesn't help players who don't have much foundation. JHS doesn't have that, although Indiana is a decent program and he has a start.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people here are generally too impatient when it comes to rookies. You evaluate a rookie in his 3rd season, not his first. That's where the first big leap has to come.
    It's true that you can't pass final judgement on a rookie by his first season, but that's not to say no conclusions can be drawn. If you are horrendous and show no signs of improvements on any areas, I don't think a team should have to be stuck for 3 years before moving on. Developing a young guy has a const of opportunity attached in that you're passing on other opportunities, at least you should be able to see progress, like Wesley who still isn't an NBA player but has improved a of a lot compared to last year.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He better be, he was the no. 3 overall pick. So far, Scoot has been horrendous, he's putting empty stats and being horribly inefficient. Most his numbers come in garbage time. He can turn it around, but it seems highly hypocritical to harp on Sochan and Black while giving a pass to Sharpe and Scoot who have left a lot to be desired on many areas.
    I like Sharpe and Scoot more than Sochan and Black. You like who you like.
    You say Scoot has empty stats, Sochan has empty stats on one of the worst teams in the league and Black hardly plays at all.

Scoot and Sharpe are not only more fun to watch with more athleticism but have higher upside potential. Higher potential, that's why they were higher draft picks. Portland likes those guys over Sochan and Black.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both Scoot and Sharpe have dealt with injuries this year which slowed progress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not to mention that it’s the ing Lakers, where young players go to die, or be traded away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to mention that it’s the ing Lakers, where young players go to die, or be traded away.
    ages 26 and below

Ingram
    Zubac
    Caruso
    Lonzo (rip injuries, but good player)
    Kuzma
    Reaves

a decent among of young guys came up w/ the lakers tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ages 26 and below

Ingram
    Zubac
    Caruso
    Kuzma
    Reaves

"or be traded away"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ages 26 and below

Ingram
    Zubac
    Caruso
    Kuzma
    Reaves

Did you see the part about being traded away in the post you quoted? There are all stars that were drafted by the Lakers, slow rolled, then traded to BECOME all stars elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you see the part about being traded away in the post you quoted? There are all stars that were drafted by the Lakers, slow rolled, then traded to BECOME all stars elsewhere.
    most of these guys became solid players during their time with the lakers. your point was the the lakers are an awful spot for a young guy like JHS to come along

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    most of these guys became solid players during their time with the lakers. your point was the the lakers are an awful spot for a young guy like JHS to come along
    None of them were any better than our current crop while with the Lakers. I standby my assertion. The worst place in the world for a NBA project is with a contender or a team falling out of that status but refusing to acknowledge that fact. They don’t get reps, and therefore don’t develop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None of them were any better than our current crop while with the Lakers. I standby my assertion. The worst place in the world for a NBA project is with a contender or a team falling out of that status but refusing to acknowledge that fact. They don’t get reps, and therefore don’t develop.
    do you even spurs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team that has developed multiple very late first round draft picks into career NBA players at worst?

ST is hilariously abysmal in recognizing what their team is and does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll admit that giving up on Black after half a season is not fair and a half sarcasm. The kid may end up pas a valuble player but I don't see him as better than a decent role player, a la Kyle Anderson he's similar too (minus the fat head). He just needs the right environment (and get rid of that doormat on his head). Kyle was lucky to end up with the spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    High Ceiling -- Nikola Topic and Alexandre Sarr

High Floor -- Zaccharie Risacher and Matas Buzelis.

The Spurs are still at the point where they need to go high ceiling (this may be the last year they're at that point).

Topic looks like a potential difference-maker, a straw that stirs as we might put it. The naysayer argument has failed in the past with guys like Topic. "He won't be able to get to the basket like that against NBA defenders." They said that about Ginobili, Doncic, etc. The truth is, if you have that gift, that intuitive knack, it persists regardless of what level you play at. It just does. Topic is exactly the type of player the Spurs need.

Sarr also has a high ceiling and is very underrated on this board. Granted, he has some bust factor as does virtually any big not named Victor. But Sarr looks different than Wiseman or Ayton or most of the other bigs that weren't transformative. First, he's aggressive and engaged at all times -- most bigs are not. He's light on his feet, he bounces, his motor is a constant. He's a good, instinctive, energetic defender (at the very least). On offense, he looks like he might, might have some KG in him. That would be a home run. I'd take the chance if Topic is gone.

The high floor guys are also interesting. Risacher looks like a Jabari Smith/Brandon Miller type -- a tall outside shooter who can occasionally charge the basket. Problem is, like Smith and Miller, Risacher hasn't got the moves once he gets close to the hoop. He's moving in a straight line with no ability to amend on the fly. A good player but with limited upside.

Buzelis has his appeal too. Another Franz Wagner is what the good version of him looks like. The Spurs could definitely use a player like him in a couple of years. But right now they need someone that might have a higher upside.

The college guys (mostly offensive guards) are also interesting. Haven't really looked into them enough at this point. But with a 1-5 draft pick, you probably need to go with a bit more size.

These potential high-end picks all have a lot to show us in the next few moths. It will be interesting.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheppard now has 53 steals in 22 games if he somehow³get to 80 would you give him a shot should Toronto pick gets down?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    High Ceiling -- Nikola Topic and Alexandre Sarr

High Floor -- Zaccharie Risacher and Matas Buzelis.

The Spurs are still at the point where they need to go high ceiling (this may be the last year they're at that point).

Topic looks like a potential difference-maker, a straw that stirs as we might put it. The naysayer argument has failed in the past with guys like Topic. "He won't be able to get to the basket like that against NBA defenders." They said that about Ginobili, Doncic, etc. The truth is, if you have that gift, that intuitive knack, it persists regardless of what level you play at. It just does. Topic is exactly the type of player the Spurs need.

Sarr also has a high ceiling and is very underrated on this board. Granted, he has some bust factor as does virtually any big not named Victor. But Sarr looks different than Wiseman or Ayton or most of the other bigs that weren't transformative. First, he's aggressive and engaged at all times -- most bigs are not. He's light on his feet, he bounces, his motor is a constant. He's a good, instinctive, energetic defender (at the very least). On offense, he looks like he might, might have some KG in him. That would be a home run. I'd take the chance if Topic is gone.

The high floor guys are also interesting. Risacher looks like a Jabari Smith/Brandon Miller type -- a tall outside shooter who can occasionally charge the basket. Problem is, like Smith and Miller, Risacher hasn't got the moves once he gets close to the hoop. He's moving in a straight line with no ability to amend on the fly. A good player but with limited upside.

Buzelis has his appeal too. Another Franz Wagner is what the good version of him looks like. The Spurs could definitely use a player like him in a couple of years. But right now they need someone that might have a higher upside.

The college guys (mostly offensive guards) are also interesting. Haven't really looked into them enough at this point. But with a 1-5 draft pick, you probably need to go with a bit more size.

These potential high-end picks all have a lot to show us in the next few moths. It will be interesting.
    Buzelis could easily endup a Samanic 2.0, I'm not sure he's a high floor guy, tbh. He does qualify as a high ceiling guy, imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheppard now has 53 steals in 22 games if he somehow³get to 80 would you give him a shot should Toronto pick gets down?
    He's very smart, moves his feet well and has very active hands, all of which help him on defense at the College level but I don't think it will work quite as well against bigger, better athletes in the NBA. The main problem I have with Sheppard is that he can hardly beat anyone off the dribble and I don't see him as a lead guard long term, which is what the Spurs need and why he's behind Dillingham and Topic as far as pont guards go in my board. He can be a nice piece for the right team, but I'd take Sarr, Dillingham, Topic, Cody Williams, Buzelis easily before him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buzelis could easily endup a Samanic 2.0, I'm not sure he's a high floor guy, tbh. He does qualify as a high ceiling guy, imho.
    Yeah, and he's also not explosive, but in a class where every prospect seems to have more holes than a swiss cheese, he's still a top 10 pick just based on upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched UK game.

Reed Sheppard.
    Prepared for the Spurs to take a hard look... weird player, would never guess his efficiency is that high or how impactful he is just by watching him play, although his hands are extremely good. He hits threes at a very high percentage, picks up steals, gets blocks, but isn't a good man-to-man defender... very good defending the break or help side. Starts, but when Dillingham is in, Dilly runs the offense. I suppose because Reed is a good spot-up shooter. Like, I'd be happy to have him, he'd keep mistakes down and make plays, but he doesn't pass the eye test as great or seems like he's more than a good role-playing college player. To me it seems his efficiency is in these narrow categories where he does extremely well but isn't the big impact guy you want in the lottery.

Rob Dillingham
    Dude's been on fire lately, his confidence sky high and has the green light... still, a very willing passer, great processing of the floor, absolutely not selfish but takes his shots... weak at the rim due to size but puts pressure there, should get better... threw a lot of accurate lobs... doesn't shy from contact... shifty handles, very quick with advanced space-making moves that will definitely work in the League. Makes a lot of mistakes on defense like not knowing switches. I've seen him blow baseline plays where a big screens down on his man, he hesitates, then runs to cover his man on the perimeter leaving a bad dunk. To me, though, this is coaching. He's coming from Overtime Elite and still needs work, but seems very coachable. Pulled Ivisic aside when he was down on a foul, shows some leadership.

Thread Information