Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-public-health

bottom line is very simple.

If you want to lose weight, eat less.

If you want to be fit, exercise.

The two behaviors are mostly orthogonal.

Another repeated finding is that being overweight is "contagious" among acquaintances. This explains the "fat culture" of San Antonio, across all ethnic/race groups.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The "no exercise" geniuses out there are full of .

Losing weight is so simple. Take in less calories than you burn. Exercising burns calories thus helping you reach a caloric deficit. Yes it will make you want to eat more, but if you are eating the right healthy it will fill you up without being calorie dense.

If you aren't working out and still losing weight, you will just be a skinny-fatass.

As for S.A., Mexican food tastes better than salad. Pretty simple concept.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "Exercising burns calories thus helping you reach a caloric deficit"

The point of the article was that the amount of exercise required to burn excess calories, and do it every day, long term, far exceeds most peoples' workouts, or time to have intense workouts.

"f you aren't working out and still losing weight, you will just be a skinny-fatass."

you're full of

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Hey, Ash, if you have PCOS, you should talk further with your OB or RE about your metabolism. If you are insulin-resistant on PCOS (many are, but not everyone), you may really need Metformin to help regulate and really lose weight.

Avoiding refined sugar and carbs is a diet that helps a number of PCOS women w/ insulin resistance, but keeping weight/struggling to lose weight is one of the more common features of the disorder (remembering that PCOS is a very broad-based disorder and not all women will be affected the same way).

If you haven't already found it, I suggest soulcysters.com as an excellent, excellent resource for you. You'll find the most current research, support and help in navigating the disorder.

It can really, really throw off your metabolism and ability to lose weight. I've been tested because of my weight (but exhibit 0 symptoms outside late ovulation, which is likely due to my weight period - fat stores estrogen, the higher the levels of estrogen, the slower the follicles mature, because the hormone feedback is artificially disrupted). I have a couple of friend with PCOS - one of them has had a really hard struggle with weight because of the disorder. She works out harder and eats better than anyone I know, but until her doc put her on Met, she simply didn't lose weight, no matter how much she tried. Once her insulin resistance was dealt with, she was able to begin losing weight in a normal, healthy manner.

Don't discount that as a potential issue in weight-loss.
    I did find soulcysters right about through the miracle of google. It was very helpful. I'm not insulin resistant at the moment, but just to stay cautious I'm going to try my best to stay on this "diet" and make it lifestyle instead of just a diet. I've heard good and bad things about metaformin but at this point I don't think it's anything I need. My BMI is almost to a healthy percentage which is really where I need to be. The weight is coming off, which I love. It might be what I'm doing, the runnig and circuit training at the gym...masybe just that finally my metabolism kicked in. Who knows. Whatever it is it's working at least a little now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Alright y'all. I've made it almost through c25k. I'm slow, it takes me almost 44 minutes to get through it on a treadmill (don't hate).

Today, after my run/jog/whatever I came home and noticed some blisters on the bottom of my left foot in line with my big toe. I know I overpronate after googling. Obviously, if I'm going to go any farther (which was suggested earlier) is to get a better pair of shoes.

For those of you in San Antonio, where is the best place to go to get a good analysis? Soler? New Balance? Somewhere else I haven't heard of? Are any of you STers overpronate? What brand of shoes do you wear? I've worked through the shin splints and the weak ankle which lead me to believe this isn't such a big deal, but obviously I need to fix it and then maybe I can work on getting my speed up because I am going soooo slow.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ash.. what's overpronate?

there's this place off 1604.. i can't remember the name for the life of me.. i think it's like 'the athletes foot' or something like that.. if i remember i'll repost here.. but they're a real good shoe/foot place.. they sell shoes and they diagnose what kind of shoes you need to wear and stuff

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    ash.. what's overpronate?

there's this place off 1604.. i can't remember the name for the life of me.. i think it's like 'the athletes foot' or something like that.. if i remember i'll repost here.. but they're a real good shoe/foot place.. they sell shoes and they diagnose what kind of shoes you need to wear and stuff
    Here's some info about pronation from wikipedia. It does a better job of explaining it than I could ever do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_type That was another store that I was thinking of. I'm pretty sure you're right with the name. Thanks.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Here's some info about pronation from wikipedia. It does a better job of explaining it than I could ever do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_type That was another store that I was thinking of. I'm pretty sure you're right with the name. Thanks.
    u know what.. i think i do have that.. but the doctors never mentioned anything of it.. my whole issue is chondromalacia patella.. and ive been battling with it with a physiotherapist here in town.. he's done some good chiropractic work on it but there's this one spot that still bothers me.. so frustrating.. anyway that's outside the point.. i think the way my toes point out might have something to do with the knee pain im experiencing

i looked up the store on google and that's what it is..

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    u know what.. i think i do have that.. but the doctors never mentioned anything of it.. my whole issue is chondromalacia patella.. and ive been battling with it with a physiotherapist here in town.. he's done some good chiropractic work on it but there's this one spot that still bothers me.. so frustrating.. anyway that's outside the point.. i think the way my toes point out might have something to do with the knee pain im experiencing

i looked up the store on google and that's what it is..
    The easiest way to tell is where your shoes are worn in. If the sole is really worn out on the inside you overpronate. If they are worn out on the outside of the sole then you under pronate. If the sole is evenly worn then you probably are aligned well. But, based on your based your arches probably play some type of role in your pain. Ask them about your arches next time you see them.

Dropping fuckin' loads! Nick Manning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New York Knicks
    I love me some me. 8% body fat, and ing dead sexy to boot. I should be a PT

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://www.fleetfeetsanantonio.com/

6408 N. New Braunfels Ave.
    San Antonio, TX 78209

Phone: 210.805.0845

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    http://www.fleetfeetsanantonio.com/

6408 N. New Braunfels Ave.
    San Antonio, TX 78209

Phone: 210.805.0845
    Thanks! They sound good!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well at the end of last year I was told I have a slightly enlarge heart and on top of my high blood pressure, I said ing no more....I wish to see my girls grow up and I want to get old with the wife.

Start of January I came in at 300 pounds, my stupid thing was always "well at least I'm not 300 pounds" and there I was on the scale looking at 3 ing hundred.

My wife is very supporting, you can't find junk food or even real suger in our place, our 2 girls really hated that at first. We also got a treadmill that I used every night for at least 30 mins and while not full out running its set at a damn fast walk with running off and on.

Changed my eating ways. My mouth only eats small portions 3 timies a day with zero snacking in between. So from January 1st to now Feb 14 I have lost 34 pounds. I can already feel my pants falling and made another hole in my belt. I still have a long ways to go but I'm getting there.

My wife is what made all this possible, she is really helping me on this by changing the foods we eat for the whole family. Our girls go to bday parties now and do the pinata and candy bag there and with out us telling them when they get home they throw them in the trash.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    low calorie diet, hydroxycut and maybe some cycling if you don't like running. I personally prefer weighted jump ropes.

00 06 12 13 20 21 32 44 5 bus driver's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    went to back to the gym last week and its still to early to go back. that place was packed at 9pm, i guess i will need to wait a couple more weeks for the crowd to get back to normal

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans

Changed my eating ways. My mouth only eats small portions 3 timies a day with zero snacking in between. So from January 1st to now Feb 14 I have lost 34 pounds. I can already feel my pants falling and made another hole in my belt. I still have a long ways to go but I'm getting there.
    That's really good! Keep it up!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

I agree

Plus, if someone has cardiovascular issues, he better avoids that crap.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Oklahoma Sooners
    You're not going to like it, but running is amazing for losing weight and becoming healthier. Plus, it strengthens what is by far your most important muscle: your heart. If you crap out jogging half a mile, you just gotta keep doing it until you only crap out at 1 mile, then 2, and so on. It's really hard at first, but gets a lot easier after a few days, and the benefits are quickly noticeable the first few weeks. You don't have to sprint to gain enormous benefits. A quick jog every other day for 45 minutes to an hour plus cutting out junk food and sodas can do wonders.
    while i think baseline bum is a total dumbass generally, this right here can go a long way for someone just getting started, or just trying to shed some pounds without over exerting theirselves

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Well at the end of last year I was told I have a slightly enlarge heart and on top of my high blood pressure, I said ing no more...
    sorry to hear that you have to give up ing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I agree

Plus, if someone has cardiovascular issues, he better avoids that crap.
    If someone has a heart and lungs and blood and internal organs, they're better off avoiding it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    If someone has a heart and lungs and blood and internal organs, they're better off avoiding it.
    Well, pretty much

I dont like those Hydrocuts-fat burner products;one can achieve weight loss with a sound diet, regular exercise, AND patience.
    People get on Hydroxcrap because they want to look good asap.

By the way CH, what do you think of CLA ?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well, pretty much

I dont like those Hydrocuts-fat burner products;one can achieve weight loss with a sound diet, regular exercise, AND patience.
    People get on Hydroxcrap because they want to look good asap.

By the way CH, what do you think of CLA ?
    I'm wary of it. The only supplement I've ever used is creatine, and I actually stopped using that, as well.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I'm wary of it. The only supplement I've ever used is creatine, and I actually stopped using that, as well.
    I don't think CLA is bad

I remember when I started using creatine; just before that, I trimmed some bodyfat and I could see my abs
    After 3 days of using creatine, I looked fatter than ever; I was like " WTF, it's impossible! I can't gain that much weight in 3 days "

Turned out it was the creatine that bloated me like crazy; when I stopped using it, everything went back to normal

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't think CLA is bad

I remember when I started using creatine; just before that, I trimmed some bodyfat and I could see my abs
    After 3 days of using creatine, I looked fatter than ever; I was like " WTF, it's impossible! I can't gain that much weight in 3 days "

Turned out it was the creatine that bloated me like crazy; when I stopped using it, everything went back to normal
    That's normal for the initial period of creatine. It retains water in your muscles to allow them to rebuild faster.

Thread Information