Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both Gay and Bertans can stretch the flaw. Gay however can post up his man.

I see the two interchangeable pieces in the lineup is at SF and at C. SF - Gay or Bertans, C - Poetl or Gasol.

A 2nd lineup with White, Mills, Belinelli, Bertans, Poetl or White, Mills, Bertans, Cunningham, Poetl has no player that can post up or no player that can individually create their own offense (verdict still out on White if he can do this).

Walker may be a player that create his own offense. We won't know that until he learns the Spurs system first!
    In my opinion if Gasol goes to reserves, Bertans should go to SL. If Jakob goes to SL he will jam up the offense on the inside, Bertans can help space the floor. With Gasol in the reserves he can help to be a secondary playmaker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am becoming increasingly curious about a Murray, DDR, Gay, Bertans and LMA starting lineup.

Bertans pulls his man out of the paint allowing for easier penetration and more space for LMA to work down low.

White, Mills, Belinelli, Gasol and Poeltl unit would likely be fine. They would have plenty of shooting and Gasol could be more useful in that role.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am becoming increasingly curious about a Murray, DDR, Gay, Bertans and LMA starting lineup.

Bertans pulls his man out of the paint allowing for easier penetration and more space for LMA to work down low.

White, Mills, Belinelli, Gasol and Poeltl unit would likely be fine. They would have plenty of shooting and Gasol could be more useful in that role.
    Bertans instead of a center will definitely open up the paint for everyone to operate in. Sounds promising to me.

The 2nd unit with two bigs will just pound the smaller teams. Mills and Belinelli aren't good penetrators anyway, so who cares if the paint is clogged.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him playing with JB as he can handle the ball and make the pass to a cutting Poetl for easy baskets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's incredible to think back on Bertans as an overlooked barely discussed throw in of the George Hill/Kawhi trade. I like Hill, but Bertans could potentially be a player equal to him on his own.... that was amazing work by the front office.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's incredible to think back on Bertans as an overlooked barely discussed throw in of the George Hill/Kawhi trade. I like Hill, but Bertans could potentially be a player equal to him on his own.... that was amazing work by the front office.
    And if you follow the evolution of the trade, the Spurs gave up George Hill and now have Bertans, Poeltl, DeRozan, and likely a late first round draft pick. That's an incredible haul.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans should start over Gasol.

Here are some stats last year when he played 20+ minutes in 23 games last season:

23 Games/20+ minutes:
    Avg. 11 points 4 rebounds, 2 assists on 45% shooting 37% from 3.

Advanced:

When Bertans played 20-29 minutes ( 19 games), he was a +7.2 rating (Spurs were a +7.2 when he was on the court per 100 possessions).

When Bertans played 30-39 minutes (4 games), he had a +9.3 rating (Spurs were +9.3 when he was on the court per 100 possesions).

I may or may not care. monkeypunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans should start over Gasol.

Here are some stats last year when he played 20+ minutes in 23 games last season:

23 Games/20+ minutes:
    Avg. 11 points 4 rebounds, 2 assists on 45% shooting 37% from 3.

Advanced:

When Bertans played 20-29 minutes ( 19 games), he was a +7.2 rating (Spurs were a +7.2 when he was on the court per 100 possessions).

When Bertans played 30-39 minutes (4 games), he had a +9.3 rating (Spurs were +9.3 when he was on the court per 100 possesions).
    Well, those are compelling numbers.

I think he'll start at the 3 at some point when Jakob takes Pau's spot with LMA at the 4.

Bertans is an old school Euro player, used to having batteries thrown at him during games and tough as nails. We need dudes not scared to mix it up but more so, just not scared.

Would have been nice to keep Kyle but Bertans fits more of a need with his 3 and I do think his % can and will go up as he builds more chemistry, guys figure out his spots and get him the ball there.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This got shrinks under pressure each time. Him as a starter continues to be ing horrendous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's so bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has indeed been bad in preseason aside from the first game against the Heat. Team needs him so he’s going to play. Hopefully he gets it together.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop needs to help his confidence by not pulling his ass for every little mistake. He needs to know he is going to play every game if he is hitting three he plays a lot if he is cold then not so much.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But he plays d and that’s what matters

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has indeed been bad in preseason aside from the first game against the Heat. Team needs him so he’s going to play. Hopefully he gets it together.
    The only real time I've seen him useful is when he's playing well with Forbes. Forbes is so much more effective on catch and shoot, and Bertans has found him several times on a kick and drive.

He doesn't move or shoot as well on the move as Belinelli. This is in fact his real problem. There is someone else on the team that fills his role much better!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But he plays d and that’s what matters

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy needs to be a top 5 player for us to surpass expectations.

For that to happen Pop needs to losen up his leash a bit more and give him more minutes. Cunningham has no business getting any amount of rotation minutes over Davis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's absolutely no reason why he shouldn't average 20-25 mpg this year. I was pissed at Pop only playing him for that one five minute stretch in the first half.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Played great tonight. Not a fan of him starting at all, but he definitely needs to play over Brandon P-Cunningham.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Played great tonight. Not a fan of him starting at all, but he definitely needs to play over Brandon P-Cunningham.
    lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still not a fan of him starting. He was making me re-think my stance with his good play in his 10-15min energy role, but tonight erased all of that. He was awful tonight just like he is every time he starts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mi starting and making the Spurs get W's

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forgot to mention he got benched in the second half by Pop in favor of Rudy and it worked out great

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it looks like he is not going to be able to adjust to the NBA had high hopes but he needs to be much more consistent

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he has a role in the NBA, but it would be similar to the one Forbes is supposed to have. Bertans is a good shooter when his feet are set, so bringing him for certain situations to hit threes is something he'll be able to do no matter how rocky anything else is. But he needs to play with an edge. I thought he did so last year during his high moments, but he's not doing it now. Maybe it's the money? Either way, if he can't do more than the aforementioned latter-day-Bonner role, then he should be paid about half of what he's making. The contract the team gave him suggests they at least want him in the rotation full time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd trade him at this point. 7 million is too much, we can get a better player for that money

Thread Information