Poor patty getting d out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he was actually insulted then he doesn't have to sign it. What a lame take. Plus he's being guaranteed over $7 million the first year. I didn't expect to see Reed get that type of offer. For a guy who hasn't shown a whole lot who has made a total of $4 million in his career this is a home run.
    It's actually a much worse contract that you guys are making out to be. Ainge is trying to reinvent contracts to make them depend on team performance, which I'm sure the PA won't be very happy about whatsoever.

No, those two additional seasons are just like "yeah, this is never going to happen." Beyond this, what Ainge is trying to pull is exceptionally dangerous for players if this catches on. I think he's 100% an asshole for trying it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...l-okc-save-45m

Mills traded for 3rd time in 10 days, OKC gets yet another 2nd round draft pick, and Atlanta... well, who knows what Atlanta is doing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's actually a much worse contract that you guys are making out to be. Ainge is trying to reinvent contracts to make them depend on team performance, which I'm sure the PA won't be very happy about whatsoever.

No, those two additional seasons are just like "yeah, this is never going to happen." Beyond this, what Ainge is trying to pull is exceptionally dangerous for players if this catches on. I think he's 100% an asshole for trying it.

Reed and his agent agreed to to it, and I'd bet there's a good chance they were fine with the added stipulation because it makes it less likely that the 76ers will match. They've mishandled Reed for 3 years and he probably just wants to get out of there. No one else has offered him $8mil to be a backup, so it seems like a pretty reasonable contract to me, and he would just be betting on himself to play well enough to get a better contract next year.

Granted, two things stick out for me here:
    1. Most of the past issues stemmed from Doc Rivers, who's is no longer around.
    2. None of us are privy to the negotiations, so it's impossible to say if Reed is fine with or insulted by the offer-- my guess is the former, but that's just a guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reed and his agent agreed to to it, and I'd bet there's a good chance they were fine with the added stipulation because it makes it less likely that the 76ers will match. They've mishandled Reed for 3 years and he probably just wants to get out of there. No one else has offered him $8mil to be a backup, so it seems like a pretty reasonable contract to me, and he would just be betting on himself to play well enough to get a better contract next year.

2. None of us are privy to the negotiations, so it's impossible to say if Reed is fine with or insulted by the offer-- my guess is the former, but that's just a guess.
    They signed it because they wanted the match.

Ultimately I care less about that than what Ainge is trying to do here, which is transform how contracts fundamentally work. I'm sure others have noticed. It's not good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's also quite possible that Reed really likes the idea of being a FA next year, and getting what amounts to a 1-year deal at well over his QO in a place where he may be better able to showcase himself going into FA is a win-win-win for him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn
    Reporting with
    @espn_macmahon
    : Dillon Brooks’ four-year, $80M deal with the Rockets? Well it’s landed at four-years $86M in the sign-and-trade — with $4M more in incentives that can bring it to $90M, sources tell ESPN

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They signed it because they wanted the match.
    If they wanted the match there's no reason to include that clause about the playoffs and the no trade clause. That's 100% to disincentivize Philadelphia from matching, it's a big FU to Morey, he's telling him I'm not your currency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn
    Reporting with
    @espn_macmahon
    : Dillon Brooks’ four-year, $80M deal with the Rockets? Well it’s landed at four-years $86M in the sign-and-trade — with $4M more in incentives that can bring it to $90M, sources tell ESPN
    Well done, Sprockets. Well done.

Grizzlies dumped him, publicly said they weren't going to bring him back at any price, Sprockets sign him for $90 million when no one else was even trying to sign him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sprockets?

Now we dance.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Philly matched the Paul Reed contract

Woj

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well done, Sprockets. Well done.

Grizzlies dumped him, publicly said they weren't going to bring him back at any price, Sprockets sign him for $90 million when no one else was even trying to sign him.
    Dallas : hey you want pick swap?

Houston : Nah we giving Dillon Brooks more money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy , this move by Danny Ainge is so original: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...zz-offer-sheet

The Jazz offered Paul Reed a 3 year/$23mil contract where the first year is guaranteed but years 2 & 3 are only guaranteed if his team advances to the conference semifinals, thus "Given where the two franchises stand, it is more likely the Sixers would have to guarantee the $15.7 million total for the 2024-25 and 2025-26 seasons than the Jazz."

Thats creative, and honestly didn't know it was legal. Ive heard of incentives as enhancers on top of contracts and partially guaranteed deals, but not a combo like this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats creative, and honestly didn't know it was legal. Ive heard of incentives as enhancers on top of contracts and partially guaranteed deals, but not a combo like this.
    It's not a good sign, as I commented elsewhere. Ainge is doing something filthy and I hope it doesn't catch on. The league/NPA needs to nip it in the bud.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

76ers matching the Jazz's offer for Reed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

wagering players contracts on team success?! Interesting

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a good sign, as I commented elsewhere. Ainge is doing something filthy and I hope it doesn't catch on. The league/NPA needs to nip it in the bud.
    It feels weird, but i don't know what to think yet. In effect what he is trying to manufacture with this an "Arenas-type" offer sheet that puts a contender in a jam with their RFAs. I think it could be fair to the player if the guaranteed portion of the deal is on par with the player's annual market value (but ideally more to head off some future risk), and then the player could be the beneficiary of a squeeze on his in bent team with little way to retain talent (presumably bc theyre a top flight team).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...heet-paul-reed
    Reed signed the offer sheet on Saturday morning, and the Sixers waited until 90 minutes prior to the 11:59 ET p.m. Sunday deadline to inform Utah that they matched the sheet.
    One of the terms of the offer sheet provided a unique twist on Reed's contract: The first season of the contract is fully guaranteed, but the next two years worth $15.7 million become guaranteed if the Sixers advance to the Eastern Conference semifinals, sources said. Given where the two franchises stand, it was more likely the Sixers would have to guarantee those 2024-2025 and 2025-2026 seasons than the Jazz.
    As the Houston Rockets general manager 11 years ago, Daryl Morey signed Chicago Bulls restricted free agent center Omer Asik to a three-year, $24.3 million offer sheet. The deal included a "poison pill" provision that backloaded $15 million in the third year of the contract, an idea that he worked on with Asik's agent, Justin Zanik.
    Now, Zanik is the Jazz GM who delivered that unique guarantee provision in Reed's offer sheet.
    The boomerang effect took a while but just came back to hit Morey in the head.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many PGs do the Hawks need?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s not novel. There have been contracts like this before. The worse team puts in conditions that they won’t meet so that their obligation is less than the team that has to match.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The league wasn’t destroyed. The sun didn’t go nova.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One more vet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boban would be good in the locker room

Thread Information