Page 9 of 110 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your top deal for #2 is smart, and I agree with your guess that Warriors would seek an additional first. My main hesitation is that I don't think moving up to #2 is worth it in this draft class. Move up to trade down (Atlanta, Cleveland, or Detroit) to snag one of Toppin or Okongwu?

I like a lot of permutations that involve Horford/Simmons. Although, I increasingly wonder if Ben Simmons isn't a center in modern NBA. If you look at where he scores the ball efficiently, it looks like a traditional center shot chart. I'm hung on the pick haul part. Philly would want a pick haul, no doubt, but is it worth it?
    The question I have is if Philly would agree with you on 2's value versus 11. If so, the Spurs might be able to cut GS out and trade Murray, Gay and Aldridge along with 11 and a lightly protected pick for Simmons and Horford. Then do a DeRozan trade like the ones Dallas fans keep talking about on RealGM (DMDR for THJ 18 and filler). Maybe you could just throw in 18 to remove any future obligation. Or you could use it on a player to fill in the thin guard rotation (Lewis, for example).

I agree with you on standing pat, though. I don't see why that deal would need to be done on draft night. Simmons has too many problems to rush a deal, especially since the team wouldn't really be a contender after the trade.

I also don't think Simmons is a full-time center. But he could definitely play one in a pinch.

I believe I'd rather do the warriors part of the trade and leave the Philly part out at that price. Then see what value LMA and/or DDR would bring in subsequent moves or keep them if if didn't like the return. I possibly would revisit the sixer trade with Embid at a reduced price and it being a smaller deal.
    I don't think the Embiid trade is going to be a reduced price. He'll go to someone before he goes for a package where the Spurs could save some money. They're saying Joel may well be dealt this off-season. If that's what the team wants, they'll do it, likely before draft night.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question I have is if Philly would agree with you on 2's value versus 11. If so, the Spurs might be able to cut GS out and trade Murray, Gay and Aldridge along with 11 and a lightly protected pick for Simmons and Horford. Then do a DeRozan trade like the ones Dallas fans keep talking about on RealGM (DMDR for THJ 18 and filler). Maybe you could just throw in 18 to remove any future obligation. Or you could use it on a player to fill in the thin guard rotation (Lewis, for example).

I agree with you on standing pat, though. I don't see why that deal would need to be done on draft night. Simmons has too many problems to rush a deal, especially since the team wouldn't really be a contender after the trade.

I also don't think Simmons is a full-time center. But he could definitely play one in a pinch.

I don't think the Embiid trade is going to be a reduced price. He'll go to someone before he goes for a package where the Spurs could save some money. They're saying Joel may well be dealt this off-season. If that's what the team wants, they'll do it, likely before draft night.
    That definitely could be right about embid's price. I saw somewhere this morning(I think it was Michael Scotto quoting an Eastern conf GM) that the expected price would end up being a young player that could be an all-star someday and a starting level player. I am probably hoping they would see DJM as the former and LMA as the latter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does LMA have a no trade clause?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On Joel, it's hard to find a great fit that also has the appropriate assets to secure him. My favorite fit is Minnesota. Twin tower configurations rarely work, but Towns and Embiid could definitely space for one another.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That definitely could be right about embid's price. I saw somewhere this morning(I think it was Michael Scotto quoting an Eastern conf GM) that the expected price would end up being a young player that could be an all-star someday and a starting level player. I am probably hoping they would see DJM as the former and LMA as the latter.
    One would hope Murray's value is in that range. I do think it's around there, but it'd be insane to think he could be the centerpiece of a trade like that. Maybe 11, Murray, Gay and LMA/DeRozan for Embiid and Horford/Harris. I'd love to get at least some of those Philly seconds back though. They have two in the 30s. That accomplishes what has to be their third goal of clearing some of their long-term money off the books. I'd do it at that price (again, especially if the Spurs got at least one of those 30s picks and maybe a later second as well). But I wouldn't add any more picks to the deal. I don't think that makes the Spurs a contender, so they'll still have okay picks to use on themselves or might need to make subsequent moves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does LMA have a no trade clause?
    He does not. He does have a trade-kicker, but nothing to prevent his being dealt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He does not. He does have a trade-kicker, but nothing to prevent his being dealt.
    I think the new 76ers coach would want one year of Simmons and Embiid together. Every new coach always believes they have all the answers to fix all the problems and I can see the GM agreeing for a year. I think next year might be the Embiid sweepstakes

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the new 76ers coach would want one year of Simmons and Embiid together. Every new coach always believes they have all the answers to fix all the problems and I can see the GM agreeing for a year. I think next year might be the Embiid sweepstakes
    I think the pressure is too high on Brand to wait... he won't be around to make the trade if he waits until next summer.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This sounds right to me. And they'll make their acceptance of the job contingent on front office adding multiple shooters to the rotation. Trade opportunities with Philly will be draft assets and maybe Thybulle in exchange for taking back Horford.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the pressure is too high on Brand to wait... he won't be around to make the trade if he waits until next summer.
    He may not be around next summer if he actually does get rid of Embiid (or Simmons).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He may not be around next summer if he actually does get rid of Embid (or Simmons).
    That's the danger....it's not just moving one...they have to improve after the trade.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He may not be around next summer if he actually does get rid of Embid (or Simmons).

Pretty good chance Brand is dismissed yet this week. His track record is abysmal. They need to clean house of Brand and all of the Colangelo hold overs. Brown is not nearly as much as fault as Brand. , nine of Brown's Process G leaguers are still in the association and a few are valuable rotation players. The roster is not Hinkie nor Brown's fault, but the locker room has quit on Brown, so he needs to go to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here’s hoping Brett Brown will get Patty Mills back in Australian NT form

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No surprises here.
    I don't know if he is a great coach or not, but he has had flawed teams except last year's roster that could easily have beaten the eventual champions but for a ball bounce. I just don't think the roster, as constructed, is that great. He may not be a great coach, I don't know, but definitely a flawed roster given all the lottery picks they had.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    -spurs are fully committed to putting out a winning product, have no interest in a rebuild
    -spurs (unfortunately) haven't ruled out keeping demar long term
    -this will not be a ho hum offseason
    -spurs / bertans aren't on as bad terms as other players who have been traded but bertans knows he would have more freedom / get a fresh start elsewhere
    -bertans isn't dying to return to the wizards

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 76ers aren't trading their youngish top 10ish player or their young top 20ish player for the Spurs crap, not even to get out of the Horford albatross.

As usual, the agenda driven NBA media has decided the media friendly white coach should be absolved and the black man (who's been on the job about five minutes and given his inexperience and their expectations probably didn't have full autonomy) is the real culprit, when the reality is their stars don't fit and they haven't been able to catch a break, injury or otherwise.

"The Process" is still a success though because of the talent and assets it delivered. You don't get to pick your stars and the Fultz situation is inexplicable. It's like blaming the Spurs for S bag intentionally destroying his value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 76ers aren't trading their youngish top 10ish player or their young top 20ish player for the Spurs crap, not even to get out of the Horford albatross.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -spurs are fully committed to putting out a winning product, have no interest in a rebuild
    -spurs (unfortunately) haven't ruled out keeping demar long term
    -this will not be a ho hum offseason
    -spurs / bertans aren't on as bad terms as other players who have been traded but bertans knows he would have more freedom / get a fresh start elsewhere
    -bertans isn't dying to return to the wizards
    context?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are going to be surprised what Embiid goes for. Most teams with "non-crap" assets are in no position to make an Embiid trade, and the rest don't have any assets legit better than what the Spurs do. GS is a possible exception, but they wouldn't give up any of their "big" three, and Wiggins' deal is horrible. Push come to shove, DMDR, Gay and LMA are all good expirings which most teams can't match from a ballast perspective, and 11 is apparently no better or worse than 6-20 in a lot of people's minds. Toronto didn't win the Leonard sweepstakes by accident. Teams are way more reluctant to offer big value in deals than most believe. The Spurs definitely CAN trade for Embiid or Simmons. It just might not be worth it for them to extend themselves far enough to do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Brown being fired by the Sixers, any way he can make it back into the Spurs' coaching staff?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are going to be surprised what Embiid goes for. Most teams with "non-crap" assets are in no position to make an Embiid trade, and the rest don't have any assets legit better than what the Spurs do. GS is a possible exception, but they wouldn't give up any of their "big" three, and Wiggins' deal is horrible. Push come to shove, DMDR, Gay and LMA are all good expirings which most teams can't match from a ballast perspective, and 11 is apparently no better or worse than 6-20 in a lot of people's minds. Toronto didn't win the Leonard sweepstakes by accident. Teams are way more reluctant to offer big value in deals than most believe. The Spurs definitely CAN trade for Embiid or Simmons. It just might not be worth it for them to extend themselves far enough to do it.
    Agreed, but there's still a middle ground between not going for as much as the perception might be and the Spurs' crap. DeRozan is the worst possible fit with Simmons and Aldridge is 35. They're also both expiring and likely wouldn't re-sign given the situation. Gay is an old, expiring, worse version of Harris. Murray is another poor fit and right now a negative contract. 11 is nice, but not all that meaningful to a team trying to contend.

Actually, the Raptors did win the S bag sweepstakes by accident. In fact damn near everything they've accomplished has been by that because up until that fell into their lap, they'd been trying to re-build since Ujiri was hired. Had S bag been a professional, the Spurs could have commanded a haul similar to what Davis went for.
    Last edited by TD 21; 08-24-2020 at 05:43 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One player I'd love us to sign is Christian Wood from the Pistons. He's 24, 7'3'' wingspan, shoots 38.6 % from 3, a good roller, athletic, lob thread, fast running the floor, ORtg 123 DRtg 110. He's a free agent and was on a 1.5 million dollar contract. Undrafted player who played in the G-League. Should definitely be available for MLE type money and would fit perfectly at starting PF.

Watch him block Embiid twice in this video

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, with Brown being fired Jonathon Simmons tweeted: "Bout time they fired his ass"

Guess the old Spur comradeship is not in full force everywhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, with Brown being fired Jonathon Simmons tweeted: "Bout time they fired his ass"

Guess the old Spur comradeship is not in full force everywhere.
    Lmfao !! Very professional of him wow

Thread Information