Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The OP has hedged his bets. He's making a hypothetical and that can never be proven true or false, because it's about an event that's already occurred. Now Ibaka is in the series, and it's possible the Spurs will lose. Since he didn't say they would win, what's he actually saying? He's saying Ibaka wouldn't have changed the outcome of the 1st two games. Why then did he use the words "will not" and "series"?

If the Spurs win, he'll say "see, I told you". If the Spurs lose, he'll say "yeah, but they would have lost even if Ibaka wasn't playing".

So basically he's being a chicken by not committing to a stance, and basically he's saying one team will win and one will lose no matter who's playing.
    oh crap
    KobeOwnsDuncan
    Clipper Nation
    RsxPiimp
    ShowtimeFan
    LkrFan
    Venti Quattro
    Strange Love
    m>s
    DD
    FkLA
    Malik Hairston
    rascal
    Seefourdc
    DMC

This thread proved two things:

1) A bunch of you half-wits can't read. Ibaka not changing the outcome of a series and Ibaka not having an impact on any given game are two different things. I said the former, not the later. I also said the Spurs will win in 5 if Ibaka didn't play, and win in 7 if Ibaka did. Ibaka played part of the series, and the Spurs won in 6. That said, I would venture to say that even if Ibaka were to miss the entire series, the Spurs would have only won in 6 instead of 5 because Brooks could have put Leonardo DiCaprio out there, and the Thunder would have won Games 3 and 4. The only difference would be that the Spurs would have won in Game 6 in MUCH more convincing fashion.

2) With the exception of KobeOwnsDuncan, every one in the above mention list are just a bunch of front running, media regurgitating, basketball not-knowing brain dead hicks. None of you came back to eat your crow, not after Game 5, and certainly not after Game 6. To top it off, none of you even had the guts to come and chime in BEFORE Game 3. Here's a tip for you, go to a local super market and get yourself a back bone.

Now that we are through this, let me educate you for free as to why I was so convinced Ibaka would not have changed the outcome of the series, again. It's not like I never mentioned this before, but given point 1) above, I would like to take this opportunity to teach you again.

People kept referring to 2012 as some sort of proof, and yet ignored the two major components. We all knew Harden was the difference. In fact, Harden destroyed the Spurs in Game 5, while Serge had a -3 for the game. It's obvious, we all knew it, but for some reason, people like to ignore that. Reggie Jackson can cause Spurs damage, but his playmaking is far from Harden level. He can be a homeless man's 2012 Westbrook some games, but his game is too different from Harden's to do a similar level of damage. As an extension of this, 2014 OKC' bench is not anywhere close to as effective as 2012 OKC.

Second, both Kawhi and Green improved immensely since then. Especially Green. Green missed wide open shots in 2012 during the 4 losses, he's not doing that again.

There are a few other factors that I didn't notice prior, Thabo didn't suck as badly back then as he did now. He did a very good job in 2012 on Parker, but he is totally worthless this year. Diaw stepped up big time and was the ultimate Ibaka buster in the series.

So learn young padawans, acknowledge your absolute crap takes, take it like a man, and learn from it. Some day, you guys may be able to have a decent basketball take for a change.

Obviously you can't ing read. I already nailed you down on this after you went AWOL after the 1st two Spurs losses when Ibaka returned.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    But you did not until you got called out because you are one spineless front runner.
    he disagrees with my thread
    front running got
    mommy they disagree with me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No offense, but it wasn't Ibaka that had the 30 point turnaround, there were a series of changes that were made:
    - Reggie Jackson with more minutes
    - Jeremy Lamb stepping up
    - Home crowd
    - Huge FT disparity, especially early in the game

Did Ibaka make a difference? Sure, but he didn't change the outcome of either games. The Thunder would have won regardless. To think that OKC would have lost by 25 the last two games without Ibaka is laughable.
    This , for example, is just gibberish. There's no way in you could possibly know that Ibaka didn't make a difference in the outcome. Interestingly enough all of the pundits (people who know the game) said Ibaka made all the difference in those two games, but somehow your crystal ball to a parallel universe tells you differently and someone here is supposed to give your hypothetical credence.

Idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    actually with ibaka missing games 1-2, had OKC come back to complete the backdoor sweep, it would have completely debunked OP, since they would have had to win in san antonio. amb made his claim that the home court was a bigger variable than ibaka, and the game 5 destruction confirmed it to an extent. i think ibaka played well in OKC, but watching the games i observed the spurs missing a great deal of uncontested looks that had nothing to do with ibaka. every uncharacteristic turnover or missed shot was instantly attributed to "the ibaka effect" even when he had no role in the play at all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dad Killer fan accusing others of being media sheep..
    Wow. You don't even know my background.

I hate Jordan, think he's overrated (to a degree), but he is undoubtedly better than Lebron.

Just calling it like it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Media hates LeBron and gives him more scrutiny and criticism than any other superstar ever, so I'm not seeing it, tbh....
    You gotta be kidding me. Lebron is the most loved for a while now.

to be fair lebron deserves a lot of love, he truly is one of the greatest of all time. though CN does guzzle his quite a bit
    Yeah he deserved it, greatest prime since early 2000 shaq or even better. But I'm not sure he deserves the almost sexual level man love CN has for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs were spotted the first two games without Ibaka and it proved too much for OK City to overcome. Had Duncan sat out the first two games and the spurs went down 0-2 they wouldn't of won the series.
    What does that have to do with the subject? If Duncan missed the first two games and the spurs were down 0-2, I would've called a sweep.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    You gotta be kidding me. Lebron is the most loved for a while now.
    No, Durbeta gets the most Media love by a landslide....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously you can't ing read. I already nailed you down on this after you went AWOL after the 1st two Spurs losses when Ibaka returned.
    I don't blame you because that was on another thread, but I already called spurs in 5 without Ibaka and 7 with him BEFORE game 1. I also reiterated that multiple times before game 5, so your crap take still remains a crap take.

Btw, great reading on your end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he disagrees with my thread
    front running got
    mommy they disagree with me
    pointless hyperbole when getting nailed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This , for example, is just gibberish. There's no way in you could possibly know that Ibaka didn't make a difference in the outcome. Interestingly enough all of the pundits (people who know the game) said Ibaka made all the difference in those two games, but somehow your crystal ball to a parallel universe tells you differently and someone here is supposed to give your hypothetical credence.

Idiot.
    And game 5 proved me right. Things like watching the game and seeing how the spurs played with vs without Ibaka showed me that the spurs would've lost both games one way or another.

Your reliance on other peoples points further proved my point about you being a media regurgitAting drone.

Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop adjusted. If he had played Tiago-Timmy together, which is what got our Spurs to the WCF and the 2-0 lead, the return of Ibaka could've made the difference tbh.

It did change the series and Pop countered nicely.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    monkey boy having a meltdown

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been a while since I've ventured downstairs and just now noticed this thread. My thoughts:

1) Thunder probably win with a healthy Ibaka. It took a crazy dunk from their 3rd string PG for the Spurs to realize that Serge isn't Prime Hakeem tbh. They probably would have split the first two games and it would have been a dogfight for 6-7 games.
    2) Nobody will care about Serge being out for the first 2 games except for OKC fans and Laker fans still around on Spurstalk. Just like how nobody brings up Manu being out for Game 1 against Memphis except for Spurfan.

I could not care less if Ibaka, KD, LeBron, Wade, etc. were out these playoffs.

The only thing that matters is that Duncan rings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    actually with ibaka missing games 1-2, had OKC come back to complete the backdoor sweep, it would have completely debunked OP, since they would have had to win in san antonio. amb made his claim that the home court was a bigger variable than ibaka, and the game 5 destruction confirmed it to an extent. i think ibaka played well in OKC, but watching the games i observed the spurs missing a great deal of uncontested looks that had nothing to do with ibaka. every uncharacteristic turnover or missed shot was instantly attributed to "the ibaka effect" even when he had no role in the play at all
    4 words: Points in the paint

Look at those before and after Serge. That's really all that needs to be said.

I am not convinced that Serge wasn't worse off in games 5 and 6, he wasn't as spry and though he had a couple decent moves, he was still at least a step slow. If the Thunder take one of the 1st two in SA, it's a difference series, and Ibaka being fully healthy really changes things because then no need for all the shuffling of the lineup.

Cause and effect, butterfly effect.. all that. It all changes the outcome. Thinking having your starting center out and/or playing injured in a series doesn't affect the outcome when the affected team swept you in the regular season is just ridiculous. It's the sign of wishful thinking and overrating your team, especially considering both coaches and all the players made the connection.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ibaka looked plenty spry in the 4th and OT of game 6, and thats after extended minutes of play. yeah, the points in the paint dropped off. i dont think anybody, myself or OP thought ibaka would have zero impact on the games. but would he single handedly alter the results? thats a tougher call to make

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And game 5 proved me right. Things like watching the game and seeing how the spurs played with vs without Ibaka showed me that the spurs would've lost both games one way or another.

Your reliance on other peoples points further proved my point about you being a media regurgitAting drone.

Thanks.
    So you think the players would have done the exact same things, except someone photoshopped out Serge, or that's how your post reads. You cannot watch a game and decide how it would have gone if the starting center for one team was out, or any of the key players tbh. That's why the term "key" is used.

No Ibaka in game 3, Spurs don't need to change anything. They just keep attacking the paint. They don't have to hit outside shots, Tony keeps dominating inside. If the Thunder double Tony with no inside help, they'd get even more destroyed.

It's not about what Serge did. It's about what the Spurs didn't do because Serge was in the game. There's a lot more variables than you're accounting for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ibaka looked plenty spry in the 4th and OT of game 6, and thats after extended minutes of play. yeah, the points in the paint dropped off. i dont think anybody, myself or OP thought ibaka would have zero impact on the games. but would he single handedly alter the results? thats a tougher call to make
    No, why are you using "single handedly"? Did Bonner single handedly change the game? He didn't score a single point. Of course not, but how the team had to cover for him, how they had to consider he was out there and move out to defend him, that made a difference. Small differences can pay big dividends over time.

Last night, the Spurs could have easily lost that game. Tell me that Manu doesn't get that shot to go instead of getting it blocked (goal tending or not). Tell me that the Thunder go on that run down 12 or 14 to tie the game if Serge isn't defending the paint forcing the Spurs to shoot long 3's.

No player changes the game single handedly, not even MJ did that. It's how the other team responds to him and how his team's offense and defense changes that changes the game. One brick removed can bring down a castle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, why are you using "single handedly"? Did Bonner single handedly change the game? He didn't score a single point. Of course not, but how the team had to cover for him, how they had to consider he was out there and move out to defend him, that made a difference. Small differences can pay big dividends over time.

Last night, the Spurs could have easily lost that game. Tell me that Manu doesn't get that shot to go instead of getting it blocked (goal tending or not). Tell me that the Thunder go on that run down 12 or 14 to tie the game if Serge isn't defending the paint forcing the Spurs to shoot long 3's.

No player changes the game single handedly, not even MJ did that. It's how the other team responds to him and how his team's offense and defense changes that changes the game. One brick removed can bring down a castle.
    i see your point. if somebody sneezes on the bench before being checked in, he might make a marginally different play on the ball then he would have otherwise, etc. but the spurs showed they were plenty capable of winning with ibaka on the floor, even when he was jumping around swatting shots. i think thats the point of the thread, which was in response to "with ibaka OKC would win for sure" sort of talk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i see your point. if somebody sneezes on the bench before being checked in, he might make a marginally different play on the ball then he would have otherwise, etc. but the spurs showed they were plenty capable of winning with ibaka on the floor, even when he was jumping around swatting shots. i think thats the point of the thread, which was in response to "with ibaka OKC would win for sure" sort of talk
    Now you're just making a strawman out of a legit argument. The entire dynamic of the game changes when a player like Serge is on the floor vs when he's not. Spurs were capable of winning against any team in the league at any given time. Doing it is something completely different than capability however. They were capable of winning the game without Tim on the floor in game 6 last year. They didn't and everyone points out Tim's absence. Maybe Tim doesn't get the rebound. Maybe the Spurs gave up too many 2nd chance looks, maybe they could have won in overtime. Who knows? They didn't win, but if you want to speculate, you cannot just plug Serge in or take Serge out and not change how the game is played.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    on page 1 of this thread, i mentioned that ibaka is a difference maker, and that his absence turned what would have been a compe ive series (to that point) into an uncompe ive one. i just think its unfair for people to assume that OKC would have owned us with ibaka present, which is the sort of talk i believe OP was responding to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    on page 1 of this thread, i mentioned that ibaka is a difference maker, and that his absence turned what would have been a compe ive series (to that point) into an uncompe ive one. i just think its unfair for people to assume that OKC would have owned us with ibaka present, which is the sort of talk i believe OP was responding to.
    You're doing the strawman again. There's a meaningful difference between changing the outcome of a series and total domination. We say Manu's broken arm allowed Memphis to beat us. So we accept Manu's absence changed the outcome of a series when it was the 1 vs the 8, but not when it's the 1 vs the 2 and the starting center?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    monkey boy having a meltdown
    getting called out so the only comeback is saying I'm having a meltdown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you think the players would have done the exact same things, except someone photoshopped out Serge, or that's how your post reads. You cannot watch a game and decide how it would have gone if the starting center for one team was out, or any of the key players tbh. That's why the term "key" is used.

No Ibaka in game 3, Spurs don't need to change anything. They just keep attacking the paint. They don't have to hit outside shots, Tony keeps dominating inside. If the Thunder double Tony with no inside help, they'd get even more destroyed.

It's not about what Serge did. It's about what the Spurs didn't do because Serge was in the game. There's a lot more variables than you're accounting for.
    Of course. Only problem for you is that the sample of OKC playing with and without Ibaka in any given game didn't change much. The home crowd had an enormous effect on the play of both the spurs and the thunder and games 3 through 6 showed it.

Ibaka had an effect on a game, but he did not have such a big impact to change the entire complexion of the series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course. Only problem for you is that the sample of OKC playing with and without Ibaka in any given game didn't change much. The home crowd had an enormous effect on the play of both the spurs and the thunder and games 3 through 6 showed it.

Ibaka had an effect on a game, but he did not have such a big impact to change the entire complexion of the series.
    You seem to give random cause vs correlation credit to things like the crowd without justification. The Spurs had the best road record in the league, why would they get blown out on the road in the playoffs just because a crowd is cheering? Do crowds not cheer in the RS? Have the Thunder not won in SA because of the crowd?

Thread Information