Page 91 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2398
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie seems to be doing well these days, we gave up on him too early imo.

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
    9 21.3 51.5 45.5 77.3 3.0 2.2 0.6 0.6 1.0 1.1 15.4
    Lonnie can’t play defense, at all. That’s why he’s coming off the bench, even with these numbers.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people are ready to give up on Jeremy and Keldon too soon; Lonnie I'm less worried about at this point, though wish him the best, et cetera.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny that you start a post with "let me get this straight" and then completely miss what I said. Classic Fabbs.

They do miss him on lobs, but that likely isn't deliberate. Victor sucks at establishing position and drawing or avoiding contact in the low block. In fact, he is far better as the high man than the low man so far. Once Vic knows what he us and is not good at, they can work to improve him. It's a whole new world under the basket for him.
    At one point in the last game, Victor was out at the perimeter, and he dumped the ball down to Keldon Johnson in the post.

I was like...what kind of bizarre upside down world is this where the 7'4 guy is delivering, rather than receiving, the entry pass?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At one point in the last game, Victor was out at the perimeter, and he dumped the ball down to Keldon Johnson in the post.

I was like...what kind of bizarre upside down world is this where the 7'4 guy is delivering, rather than receiving, the entry pass?
    LOL. Tbh, probably the easiest entry pass.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He has really good touch with it. He's probably thinking, "see how easy this is?"

I'd like to see him with Bassey or Dom at the low spot. Keldon has good hands but he's too small and Zach can't do anything with the ball once he gets it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    eh if we're all just gonna go around and say "well im sure they know better than me" then theres really no point in being on a forum. we can all read news about transactions, can all read box scores, etc. we're here to give takes. none of us here claim to be pros
    I see what you mean, but I also saw you wanting more clarification about what terms are being discussed a while ago (not specifically on this topic, but I remember it was you making the remark, and I thought it was quite appropriate, since it was a discussion, typical ST arguing 4 different things at once).

All I've been doing is narrowing down and giving some further thought to the "good pick vs bad pick" debate that inevitably arises whenever Primo or Luka or whomever is discussed. On this topic in particular, I think it's important to separate the "there was a clear vision that didn't work out" picks (which I would mostly argue are good picks, always of course relative to picking # and available prospects in that draft), from the "Ayton played college in Phoenix and we are a team in Phoenix that could use a local kid instead of the scary foreign Euro" picks, which I think are unquestionably bad.

I feel like you would agree with this assessment, but then again, you said Luka as a bad pick earlier, and that's why I'm making all these comments. I thought you particularly might've appreciated this nuance, but alas, maybe I misremembered the poster?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As SR21 said, I like the Lonnie pick. He had value and is clearly an NBA player. Just didn't work out. Samanic was a home run swing like Wesley was. Again, I don't hate it. Primo was a reach but nobody knew he was a perv. The Spurs have a pretty impressive young lineup that came exclusively from the draft.
    Exactly. Lonnie, Luka, Wesley, none of them are bad picks, even if Blake never gets to be an NBA-level PG and Lonnie doesn't sign another contract. Many things in life are "numbers games" with swings and misses being part of the process.

I've changed my mind on the Primo pick though. I didn't like it at the time (team Sengun baby), but ended up liking Primo the project, so I wasn't too mad - but on retrospective, I cannot see that there was sufficient evidence of Primo having elite untapped potential in order to spend such a high pick on him. Samanic was a 19th pick, while Primo was 12th. Doesn't seem like a lot of difference in numbers, but it certainly is on terms of rookie-scale salaries, pick expectations, and general "bang-for-buck" factor.

I don't mind a wild swing at 19, but would definitely need more substantial proof before I made the same swing 7 picks earlier. And to be honest, the more I think on it, the better I like Luka the prospect than Primo the prospect, nevermind their drafting spot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

this guy also pointed out schematic issues as far as switches. im skeptical that they'd actually want collins to be switching onto guards, and having somebody like vassell switch onto bam...

In some of that video the fellow said “switching” when he was actually just talking about hedging. The basic idea is that, against the screen, Collins should step out, and up, to block or at least impede the ball handler, giving Vassell (or whoever) time to get over the screen. It’s a fundamental maneuver for defense against a screen. Hedging is also used in some other ways, and every player in the NBA, regardless of his position or playing style, should know hedging. Too bad the Spurs don’t.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Lonnie, Luka, Wesley, none of them are bad picks, even if Blake never gets to be an NBA-level PG and Lonnie doesn't sign another contract. Many things in life are "numbers games" with swings and misses being part of the process.

I've changed my mind on the Primo pick though. I didn't like it at the time (team Sengun baby), but ended up liking Primo the project, so I wasn't too mad - but on retrospective, I cannot see that there was sufficient evidence of Primo having elite untapped potential in order to spend such a high pick on him. Samanic was a 19th pick, while Primo was 12th. Doesn't seem like a lot of difference in numbers, but it certainly is on terms of rookie-scale salaries, pick expectations, and general "bang-for-buck" factor.

I don't mind a wild swing at 19, but would definitely need more substantial proof before I made the same swing 7 picks earlier. And to be honest, the more I think on it, the better I like Luka the prospect than Primo the prospect, nevermind their drafting spot
    I hated the Primo pick more than any Spurs pick since Bill Curley. The fact that there were so few useful players after him took some sting out of it, and there is no point in gloating because he had character issues. Like you said, I don't mind a reach, but I'm mystified at what the Spurs think they saw to get him. He was basically the last nail in the coffin of our hopes that the Spurs will ever draft a traditional point guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hated the Primo pick more than any Spurs pick since Bill Curley. The fact that there were so few useful players after him took some sting out of it, and there is no point in gloating because he had character issues. Like you said, I don't mind a reach, but I'm mystified at what the Spurs think they saw to get him. He was basically the last nail in the coffin of our hopes that the Spurs will ever draft a traditional point guard.
    i remember after the draft timvp's initial comments were mostly focused on primo's character too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In some of that video the fellow said “switching” when he was actually just talking about hedging. The basic idea is that, against the screen, Collins should step out, and up, to block or at least impede the ball handler, giving Vassell (or whoever) time to get over the screen. It’s a fundamental maneuver for defense against a screen. Hedging is also used in some other ways, and every player in the NBA, regardless of his position or playing style, should know hedging. Too bad the Spurs don’t.
    Yeah you have to direct your man to spots that allow teammates to help defend. Bruce Bowen and Tim Duncan were beyond elite at that. But this year's Spurs team allows the opponent to get wherever they want all the time. They will back our defenders up until one or two are woefully out of position. Its like clubbing baby seals.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, the Spurs had taken Tre the previous year and he has provided great value for a #41 pick. Not quite as much as Jokic but still not bad.

Your point stands, though. The Spurs didn't draft Tre to be a long-term starter. I was just nitpicking a bit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i remember after the draft timvp's initial comments were mostly focused on primo's character too
    Clearly it's possible to be a team-oriented, thoughtful intelligent player who shows his dong to people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, the Spurs had taken Tre the previous year and he has provided great value for a #41 pick. Not quite as much as Jokic but still not bad.

Your point stands, though. The Spurs didn't draft Tre to be a long-term starter. I was just nitpicking a bit.
    And Tre is as successful a pick as you could ever hope for. He is as close to the best version of himself you could expect a player to be. All the more questionable why they never picked any other point guards.
    Last edited by Obstructed_View; 11-14-2023 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Autocorrect calls him "Tree" or "The"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think a really underrated aspect of the coaching job that Pop has done so far this season is just how well the young guys respond to him. There were numerous games this season where they could have packed it and lost by 50. But instead, they got over themselves and only lost by 40.

There's some criticism that maybe, just maybe the oldest coach in the league isn't the best fit for the youngest team in the league. But I dare you to find me one example of an older coach having the game pass him by in ANY sport. That's right you, you can't! And I'm glad my man Pop is continuing that trend tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mugen old man is so sewn into that city’s sports conscience there’s no one in that org that would show him the door. There’s no Jerry Jones in SA. they don’t even have a lone figure running the show. You look up word entrenched and coach’s face is Figure 1A

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reporter tonight: Pop are you ever going to start coaching these young players?

Poop: That's family business. Pocket sand shashaa! Let's talk about some congressman tonight instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp grade for Pop: B-.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "They're young, they're learning."

"They just lost by 40 aga-"

"Did you know Tommy Tuberville was a coach once? Unbelievable."

"..."

"Alright guys. Take care."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The highest paid coach in the league who doesn't coach. No wonder he'll never get over himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The highest paid coach in the league who doesn't coach. No wonder he'll never get over himself.
    I said in the game thread that any other coach would be a real risk of losing his job. Pop has tenure, but it wouldn't surprise me if he "steps down" way earlier than expected (like the end of this season). His schemes suck. His game-plans suck. His adjustments sucks. The mood from the players sucks. His "wait and see" approach for Victor could've made sense if it didn't seem like the lack of structure was hurting Wemby and frustrating him. Besides the performance of the team, Pop's job is to make sure Wemby's transition to the NBA goes as well as possible, and I don't see that yet. Still a ton of time, but I don't think it was inevitable that Victor would struggle like this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said in the game thread that any other coach would be a real risk of losing his job. Pop has tenure, but it wouldn't surprise me if he "steps down" way earlier than expected (like the end of this season). His schemes suck. His game-plans suck. His adjustments sucks. The mood from the players sucks. His "wait and see" approach for Victor could've made sense if it didn't seem like the lack of structure was hurting Wemby and frustrating him. Besides the performance of the team, Pop's job is to make sure Wemby's transition to the NBA goes as well as possible, and I don't see that yet. Still a ton of time, but I don't think it was inevitable that Victor would struggle like this.
    Absolutely zero chance that selfish does that tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically I could see the team turning toxic enough to where he gets fired but it's framed as "stepping down" to save face.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the defense actually worse this year than last years's historically bad team? Takes a special kind of coach to accomplish that after adding a generational player

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why step down when you're getting paid to do nothing?

Thread Information