Page 95 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 3786
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deputies Involved In 62,000 Criminal Cases Shown To Be Liars, Frauds, Domestic Abusers, And Sexual Predators

After Sheriff Lee Baca resigned in disgrace following his department's implication in widespread jailhouse corruption and

its tendency to hire some of the worst people possible to staff its jail, new sheriff Jim McDonnell wanted to make this list of questionable officers public.

He wanted to hand it to prosecutors so they'd know which deputies to avoid if they wanted honest, untainted testimony. He didn't go so far as to offer the same list to defense attorneys, but it was one step further than any sheriff before him had taken.

The sheriff's union sued, claiming handing the Brady list to prosecutors violated state confidentiality laws.

In July, the LA County Appeals Court agreed with the union.

The case has been taken up by the California Supreme Court, but it won't be discussed or decided until next year.

Meanwhile, the ~300 deputies whose names are on the Brady list may have been witnesses in a combined 62,000 cases since 2000.

And still, nobody is allowed to access their disciplinary files.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...redators.shtml

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Racism is fundamental to American culture, so police are racist, and the Repugs are the party of racists

Open thread for night owls: 100s lose FL driver's licenses for pedestrian tickets—blacks hit hardest

More than half the 2,000 people who received pedestrian tickets in Duval County, Florida, from 2012 to 2016 saw their driver’s licenses suspended or their ability to obtain one limited, according to an analysis by the Florida Times-Union and ProPublica.

Over five years, a total of 2,004 pedestrian tickets were issued in Duval County, which is comprised almost entirely by the city of Jacksonville. Of those tickets, 982 people who failed or were unable to pay the fine lost their driver’s licenses or their ability to obtain one,

55 percent of the tickets given in recent years went to blacks despite the fact that they make up only 29 percent of the city’s population. Blacks were similarly overrepresented in the 932 tickets that led to license suspensions — 54 percent.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/1724146https://www.dailykos.com/stories/1724146

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bout time for some cop killer push back!

-Boots

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WIDESPREAD DETAINEE ABUSE AT ICE PRISONS CONFIRMED BY INSPECTOR GENERAL REPORT

The inspector general for the Homeland Security Department conducted unannounced inspections of six immigrant detention facilities overseen by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). It uncovered glaring examples of detainee abuse and mistreatment at four of the facilities.

“We identified problems that undermine the protection of detainees’ rights, their humane treatment, and the provision of a safe and healthy environment.”

The problems included:

abuse of solitary confinement (or “segregation”) and lockdown of detainees,

abuse of strip searches,

intimidation and threatened retaliation against those with potentially serious concerns about confinement conditions,

lack of interpretation services during medical exams, and

deplorable bathroom maintenance,

as well as a refusal to properly supply detainees with hygiene items.

https://shadowproof.com/2017/12/14/w...eneral-report/

Sounds like Mexican jails!

I bet 1000s of ICE/CBP assholes signed up just to abuse, bully, brutalize, rape immigrants.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shot by Cops and Forgotten

POLICE SHOOT FAR MORE PEOPLE THAN ANYONE REALIZED

An exclusive analysis of data from the 50 largest local police departments in the United States shows that

police shoot Americans more than twice as often as previously known.
    Police shootings aren’t just undercounted — police in these departments shoot black people at a higher rate and shoot unarmed people far more often than any data has shown.

Recent reform efforts have already worked to bring down police shootings, our investigation shows.

Yet
    Attorney General Jeff Sessions is moving away from these reforms

VICE News examined both fatal and nonfatal incidents to determine that cops in the 50 largest local departments

shot at least 3,631 people from 2010 through 2016.

That’s more than 500 people a year.

On more than 700 other occasions, police fired at citizens and missed.

Two-thirds of the people cops fired at survived

Police shootings on the whole are rare, but experts say nonfatal shootings are just as important to understanding police violence as fatal encounters are.

“We should know about how often it happens, if for no other reason than to simply understand the phenomenon,”

But just 35 police departments participate in the federal initiative today, out of 18,000 U.S. law enforcement agencies.

And as VICE News found,

some departments don’t have systems in place to track nonfatal shootings by their own officers.

Others wouldn’t provide data on demographics or whether the people they shoot are armed, making it hard to judge why and how often cops use deadly force or the efficacy of reforms.

https://news.vice.com/story/shot-by-cops

For Good ol' Alabama racist boy Sessions, the only good knitter is a dead knitter (that still applies to Native Americans)

For the cops, the only Lives That Matter are Blue Lives.

Everybody else in the militarized police state is target practice under the magic words
    "I Feared For My Life"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just your typical county jail

Disabled Prisoners Sue Over Santa Barbara County Jail Conditions

One plaintiff, Maria Tracy, lost the vision in her right eye as a result of inadequate medical care,

while 52-year-old Raymond Herrera died inside in 2015 while serving a ten-day sentence because staff didn't give him his anti-seizure medications and he sustained a fatal internal injury during a seizure.

https://rewire.news/article/2017/12/19/disabled-prisoners-sue-santa-barbara-county-jail-conditions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+rhrealitycheck+%28RH+Reality+Check%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Driving While Black ... Windows in white MB

A video captures police beating that left a man with a broken leg. He's filed a claim against them

“I was beaten that day as if I was a runaway slave,” Ballew, 21, an assistant director at a marketing firm

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...s=mcnewsletter

Hilarious how it always take 5+ cop cars and 10+ cops to take down one person. They don't want to miss a to brutalize or, even better, kill.

Grinding his face on the asphalt into a bloody mess was a nice touch.

Just walking from car to store while black. Criminal racial profiling

Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-21-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Former trooper charged with murdering 15-year-old black teenager by firing Taser from moving squad car

Former Michigan State Police Trooper Mark Bessner was charged with one count of second-degree murder and two counts of involuntary manslaughter for the death of a 15-year-old,

Trooper Bessner and his partner were in pursuit of teenager Damon Grimes for an alleged traffic citation. Trooper Bessner fired his Taser out the window of their moving vehicle, striking Grimes and causing a fatal crash into a parked truck.

“Trooper Bessner unnecessarily deployed his Taser at Mr. Grimes without legal justification or excuse as Mr. Grimes was traveling at least 35 to 40 miles per hour,”

It is against Michigan State Police policy to fire a Taser from a moving vehicle.

“We are alleging that Trooper Bessner created a very high risk of death or great bodily harm, knowing that death or such harm was the likely result, by firing his Taser from his moving police vehicle at Damon Grimes who was also on a moving ATV,”

Trooper Bessner had been sued two previous times for allegedly using excessive force.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/ex-...e+Raw+Story%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They confessed to minor crimes. Then City Hall billed them $122K in 'prosecution fees'

IN INDIO AND COAC A,

PROSECUTORS TAKE PROPERTY OWNERS TO COURT FOR SOME OF THE SMALLEST CRIMES,

THEN BILL THEM THOUSANDS AND

THREATEN TO TAKE THEIR HOMES IF THEY DON'T PAY.

When Cesar Garcia pulled the letter out of his mailbox, he immediately recognized the name of the law firm on the envelope – Silver & Wright.

Eighteen months ago, they had dragged him to court, called him a criminal, cost him thousands of dollars and made his life . What did they want now?

Garcia opened the letter, prepared for the worst, but was still shocked by what he found inside.

The law firm had sent him a bill for $26,000.

When he protested, the price climbed to $31,000.

“I thought it was a mistake,” Garcia said. “But then they told me no. They said I had to pay.”

Cesar Garcia, 41, of Coac a, built an addition on to his home without proper permits. Now, Coac a City Hall wants him to pay $31K to prosecute himself.

Garcia, 41, a longtime desert resident, had been snared by the lowest level of the eastern Coac a Valley's criminal justice system, where

homeowners who commit some of the smallest crimes can be billed for the cost of their own prosecution.

Empowered by the city councils in Coac a and Indio, the law firm Silver & Wright has repeatedly filed criminal charges against residents and businesses for public nuisance crimes

– like overgrown weeds, a junk-filled yard or selling popsicles without a business license – then billed them thousands of dollars to recoup expenses.

Coac a leaders said this week they will reconsider the criminal prosecutions strategy, but the change only came after defense attorneys challenged the city in court, saying the privatized prosecutors are forcing exorbitant costs on unsuspecting residents.

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/crime_courts/2017/11/15/he-confessed-minor-crime-then-city-hall-billed-him-31-k-his-own-prosecution/846850001/#nws=mcnewsletter

27.9% of the population living below the federal poverty line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coache...alifornia#2010

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FBI Celebrates Taking Down A 'Terrorist' Who Told Undercover Agents He Couldn't Go Through With An Attack

from the wherein-'thwart'-means-'standing-by-idly-while-events-take-their-course dept

The FBI has proudly announced its kicking of another goal into the unguarded War on Terrorism net

Very few have dug into the charging do ents.

If they had, they might not have depicted

a terrorist attack that was never going to happen

as somehow being "thwarted" by the arrest of a 26-year-old man reeling from the recent loss of his children in a custody battle.

According to the criminal complaint [PDF], Everitt Jameson was planning to detonate explosives at Pier 39 in San Francisco, a popular destination for tourists.

The lead-up to Jameson's arrest (and supposed "thwarting") was filled with FBI informants and undercover agents,

but not a single actual member of a terrorist group.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...h-attack.shtml

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Police kill a man at his home while responding to a fake call

A prank call to police led to a man's death at a home in Wichita, Kansas -- and a man in California has been arrested in connection with the crime.

It's another example of swatting, or a prank in which people falsely report horrific crimes to draw large numbers of law enforcement.
    In Wichita, a 28-year-old man was shot and killed Thursday after police responded to a call about a shooting involving hostages.

In the prank call, the caller said someone had an argument with their mother; that the dad was accidentally shot; and that a brother, a sister and the mother were held hostage,

"Our officers came here preparing for a hostage situation. Several got in position. A male came to the front door, and

one of our officers discharged his weapon."
    ( iow, the blood-thirsty, trigger-happy cop shot dead an unarmed, innocent, non-threatening man )

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/30/us/kan...ing/index.html

Magic Incantation: "I Feared For My Life"

100K SWAT raids / year. America is ed and un able.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I need more info. Did he have a gun when he answered the door, did he make a threatening gesture, did he follow orders?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gamer alleged to be behind Kansas ‘swatting’ call resulting in innocent man’s death taken into custody

Tyler Raj Barriss, 25, was booked in Glendale, California the day after a police killing that started with an argument over video games became national news.

Barriss, who was thought to have gone by “SWAuTistic” in online gaming communities,

was accused of calling in a fake, elaborate report to the Wichita Police Department.

Finch’s mother said Finch was unarmed and was not given a verbal warning before being shot.

The Wichita Police Department posted the 911 call and body cam footage of the incident to its Facebook page.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/gam...ustody-police/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prison Food Is Making U.S. Inmates Disproportionately Sick

Lapses in food safety have made U.S. prisoners six times more likely to get a foodborne illness than the general population.

new evidence suggests that the situation is worse than previously thought, and not just because prison food isn’t winning any James Beard awards. It’s also making inmates sick.

a Michigan judge dismissed a suit brought by an inmate who said he’d been repeatedly served moldy bread and spoiled hamburger meat. (According to U.S. District Judge Gordon Quist, the complaint was without merit: In his view, the Eighth Amendment does not en le prisoners to “tasty or aesthetically pleasing” food, only to a diet that allows them to “maintain normal health.”)

there are often systems of perverse incentives in play: The more cheaply prisoners can be fed, the more money can often be made by the people charged with their care.

Ernest Rich says he served 19 years of a 24-year drug-related sentence in the California state correctional system, and most of the time he worked in food.

“I can tell you one thing ... Nobody has food-safety training,” he says. “You’ve got people coming in there all the time who know nothing about cooking. They’re learning as they go. They don’t know nothing about what you should do, what you should not do.”

In Rich’s experience, that lack of training means mistakes are common. “They don’t label things. They don’t rotate the stock the way it’s supposed to be. Those kitchens aren’t ran like ordinary kitchens should be ran,” he says.

That, according to Rich, means people get sick “a lot.”

“You may hear about people, 15 or 20 people get sick on one yard,” he says. “That’s stuff that you hear about all the time.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...merica/549179/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NYPD promised to retrain police officers after Eric Garner’s death in 2014 — but not a single officer has taken the training

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/nyp...e+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'Outrageous': Demanding Pay Raises for Educators Over Superintendent, Teacher Pushed to Ground and Arrested

"I feel like it's a slap in the face to all the teachers, cafeteria workers and any other support staff we have,"

A middle school language arts teacher was handcuffed and pushed to the ground in Vermilion Parish, Louisiana on Monday night after being removed from a school board meeting for questioning her district's decision to give its superintendent a raise while teachers' salaries remain stagnant and class sizes soar.

Deyshia Hargrave asked several questions about the superintendent's $38,000 raise before the board voted in favor of the salary increase.

When she spoke after being recognized by the board for a second time during the meeting, a city marshal approached Hargrave and ordered her to gather her belongings and leave the room, before handcuffing her in the hall.

The superintendent was evidently deemed deserving of a higher salary because the district's performance targets have been met in recent years—a fact that Hargrave argued should prompt raises for teachers, not administrators.

"We're doing the work, the students are doing the work," she argued. "At the top, that's not where kids learn, it's in the classroom. And those teachers like myself are not getting a dime from that, and that is unspeakable."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/01/09/outrageous-demanding-pay-raises-educators-over-superintendent-teacher-pushed-ground

Live and learn, lady. The managerial/executive class always s over Labor. Labor is simply a cost to minimized, if not zeroed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prison Food Is Making U.S. Inmates Disproportionately Sick

Lapses in food safety have made U.S. prisoners six times more likely to get a foodborne illness than the general population.

new evidence suggests that the situation is worse than previously thought, and not just because prison food isn’t winning any James Beard awards. It’s also making inmates sick.

a Michigan judge dismissed a suit brought by an inmate who said he’d been repeatedly served moldy bread and spoiled hamburger meat. (According to U.S. District Judge Gordon Quist, the complaint was without merit: In his view, the Eighth Amendment does not en le prisoners to “tasty or aesthetically pleasing” food, only to a diet that allows them to “maintain normal health.”)

there are often systems of perverse incentives in play: The more cheaply prisoners can be fed, the more money can often be made by the people charged with their care.

Ernest Rich says he served 19 years of a 24-year drug-related sentence in the California state correctional system, and most of the time he worked in food.

“I can tell you one thing ... Nobody has food-safety training,” he says. “You’ve got people coming in there all the time who know nothing about cooking. They’re learning as they go. They don’t know nothing about what you should do, what you should not do.”

In Rich’s experience, that lack of training means mistakes are common. “They don’t label things. They don’t rotate the stock the way it’s supposed to be. Those kitchens aren’t ran like ordinary kitchens should be ran,” he says.

That, according to Rich, means people get sick “a lot.”

“You may hear about people, 15 or 20 people get sick on one yard,” he says. “That’s stuff that you hear about all the time.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...merica/549179/

oh well... eat concrete!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Suspected of a crime? Own a computer? Now police can search your home (in KY, MI, OH, and TN)

On Wednesday, the Sixth Circuit decided that if law enforcement officers can connect a suspect to a crime involving a computer, no matter how minor its role, they can search the suspect’s home.

In the instant case,
    a suspect’s home was searched because the alleged crime involved computer-generated flyers.

In upholding this bizarre overreach, the court analogized computers to guns.

It is clear that the use of a gun in the commission of a crime is sufficient to establish a nexus between the suspected criminal’s gun and his residence.

Computers are dissimilar to guns in many ways, including the nature of the crimes in which they are used and the relative ease with which guns can be transported and discarded.

Computers are similar to guns, however, in that they are both personal possessions often kept in their owner’s residence and therefore subject to the presumption that a nexus exists between an object used in a crime and the suspect’s current residence.

This is borne out by our cases involving the consumption of child pornography via computer.

law enforcement made no effort to so much as suggest that the suspect owned a computer, electronic storage device, or printer;

instead, they assumed that if he did have one and had used it in a crime it would be in his home.

Almost every home would be fair game if this pernicious reasoning were to spread.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/1/17/1733671/-Suspected-of-a-crime-Own-a-computer-Now-police-can-search-your-home-in-KY-MI-OH-and-TN?detail=emaildkre

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Illinois woman faces felony drug charge after cops mistake pistachio s s for marijuana

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/ill...e+Raw+Story%29

59-year-old WHITE woman, for a change

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash's GESTAPO / Schutzstaffel doing ETHNIC CLEANSING

Police board bus demanding proof of citizenship from every passenger—it’sthe GOP ‘Land of the Free’

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...tail=emaildkre

Like the Jews in Germany forced to wear Yellow Stars of David, Trash should make Hispanics wear sombrero or red chili pepper badges.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7-year-old Florida boy handcuffed and taken for psych evaluation after altercation with teacher

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/7-y...e+Raw+Story%29

Damn! Cops now going after white kids, too!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Report Alleges Police Use Secret Evidence Collected By Feds To Make Arrests

Branches of America's federal law enforcement and intelligence services may be secretly helping state and local police arrest suspects every day in ways that raise fundamental questions about defendants' civil and due process rights,

The report makes the case that

federal law enforcers, police and local prosecutors are

concealing the origins of evidence and intelligence in scores of criminal cases, especially drug arrests.

The intelligence may include

National Security Agency mass surveillance programs, wiretaps, computer and phone surveillance, and physical surveillance.

Defendants, the report says, often have no idea about the underlying investigative tactics and cons utionally dubious methods, including warrantless searches, that may have been used in gathering evidence against them.

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/01/57836...ign=&utm_term=

But a national, electronic database of guns and gun owners? no, BigGun paid Repugs to block the database and keep all gun records only on paper.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are way too many people going to jail because they’re too poor to pay a fine

The United States has the largest incarcerated population in the world, climbing from 600,000 to over 2 million in just a few decades.

Nearly 5 million people are under some sort of parole or probation supervision in the United States. That’s a fourfold increase since 1980,

the requirements for people under judicial supervision have become more stringent.

The number of conditions people must adhere to has increased, for example, as has the length of supervision required. As a result, many people wind up in jail—not for committing another crime, but for a technical violation of probation or parole conditions.

In fact, from 1990 to 2004, the rate of people on probation who were sent back to jail for non-compliance grew by 50 percent, from 220,000 to 330,000, according to the report.

the infractions that send someone back to jail are as simple as coming late to a meeting with a parole officer or failing to make payments on a fine. Being a person of color increases the odds of winding up in prison for a parole violation,

One of the most chilling reasons for being

sent back to prison is failure to pay a fine or court or supervision fees,

payments that can be out of reach for the low-income people most likely to be caught up in the criminal justice system.

In some jurisdictions, about 20 percent of those serving time were incarcerated because they didn’t pay their criminal justice debts,

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/way...poor-pay-fine/

Thread Information