Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ it’s not about winning now it’s about landing a marquee free agent.

Imagine being a virgin who doesn't get girls and turning down a pretty girl who might actually like you because you have a crush in the prom queen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eason with those two is the more realistic “Seattle trio” that I’d like to see happen.

but I really want Banchero to be the guy….
    What's up, D? I haven't asked in a while, but how do you see Banchero panning out? I've been hearing a lot more about his upped play in the college tournament (you'll have to pardon my unknowledge here, as usual), but also more talk about his (perceived) lesser ceiling relative to the other top prospects. How do you see him faring out, and moreso, do you think a team with Banchero and Lavine (and DJ!) being able to grow into anything close to a contender? I know you're "team DJ" all the way, so I gotta think this is a dream-y scenario for you, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real prize would be Beal but I doubt Spurs could lure him here since he loves playing Washington despite the team not being successful. Who knows though.
    You make some great points, but I was more intrigued at this. Beal over Lavine?! I don't think I'd take Beal (and his upcoming extension) on most scenarios, nevermind his asking price. He's old, injured, slow, bad D. Good player in a vacuum but I haven't been surprised at Washington's lack of success under him. Surprising to hear you'd rather have him than Lavine in this scenario.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's up, D? I haven't asked in a while, but how do you see Banchero panning out? I've been hearing a lot more about his upped play in the college tournament (you'll have to pardon my unknowledge here, as usual), but also more talk about his (perceived) lesser ceiling relative to the other top prospects. How do you see him faring out, and moreso, do you think a team with Banchero and Lavine (and DJ!) being able to grow into anything close to a contender? I know you're "team DJ" all the way, so I gotta think this is a dream-y scenario for you, right?
    DJ is probably the only guy in the league who can unlock Banchero’s superstar potential. He’s already a big brother to him and with that kind of influence paired with DJ’s work ethic, it would push Banchero to work on all his weaknesses (namely defense). Banchero basically plays like a less athletic old man LeBron on offense. He’s the guy you center an offense around and the guy that the Spurs are sorely missing. Or at least the most obvious guy in the draft. The fit is perfect.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From Lavine's point of view, it's a good thing he gets to see the results of the lottery and draft first.

One problem for the Spurs is they have to conduct the draft and all associated trades (if any) prior to being able to talk to Lavine let alone knowing if he will sign.
    Sure there are back doors to talking to him ... whether league will try and crack down on it more or not is another issue.

Still mixed on him. But maybe the Spurs dangle some of our other pieces to upgrade other positions of need (depending on draft lottery results on 5/17).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ it’s not about winning now it’s about landing a marquee free agent.

Imagine being a virgin who doesn't get girls and turning down a pretty girl who might actually like you because you have a crush in the prom queen.
    you made me laugh with the scenario. I wouldn't really say it's like that though, more like the pretty girl who's a religious nut and might not even get you a kiss, over keeping your options open and finding a not-crazy girl. Or whatever, I'm not good with these analogies. I understand SanAn isn't really in a position to be picky with FAs, but even then, I've been enjoying the organic, draft-based growth of the team, and would prefer to see them keep pursuing that direction, instead of jumping the gun at the first FA that looks our way.

It's not about the desperation, but future outlook. I could also see that even if Lavine doesn't work out, he'd still be tradeable, but that's a lot of missed years/money/opportunities if it doesn't work out - hence my hesitance. As I said, I think a lot of my opinion on this rests on whether the Spurs can get a top lottery pick, and get a high floor/high ceiling guy, the kind that they're sorely missing right now.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't wait for the discussion when the followup article drops: Why the Spurs Shouldn't Try to Sign Zach LaVine.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another reason Lavine might want to leave is he would be the top dog on the Spurs, no offense to DJM. I may be reading too much, but watching the Bulls in the playoffs I was struck by how much DDR dominates the ball, even with an All Star playing next to him, not to mention a decent point guard. If Lavine feels he's taking a backseat only to get their asses kicked in the playoffs, then that could also be a factor.

Now, coming to SA is not glamorous, but his relationship with DJM would have to be part of the deal, something he really wants to see happening.

As KingKev hinted, it doesn't have to mean we are in win now mode. One would think most teams would immediately make trades and push up the deadline. But they could also just wait to the trade deadline and see where we are at and keep some flexibility.

But if nothing else, I want to see it happen and hear Lavine yell out:

"I'm taking my talents to the River Walk!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you made me laugh with the scenario. I wouldn't really say it's like that though, more like the pretty girl who's a religious nut and might not even get you a kiss, over keeping your options open and finding a not-crazy girl. Or whatever, I'm not good with these analogies. I understand SanAn isn't really in a position to be picky with FAs, but even then, I've been enjoying the organic, draft-based growth of the team, and would prefer to see them keep pursuing that direction, instead of jumping the gun at the first FA that looks our way.

It's not about the desperation, but future outlook. I could also see that even if Lavine doesn't work out, he'd still be tradeable, but that's a lot of missed years/money/opportunities if it doesn't work out - hence my hesitance. As I said, I think a lot of my opinion on this rests on whether the Spurs can get a top lottery pick, and get a high floor/high ceiling guy, the kind that they're sorely missing right now.
    haha your analogy actually makes alot of sense also. LOL.

Atleast this has given us fanboys something to chit chat about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ALL of the shooting guards in the upcoming draft have a slim to none chance of even reaching Zach’s level. To say some rando unknown like Sharpe is a better gamble than signing Zach is blasphemy. Why wait for a prospect to fully realize his potential when 1) said prospect will likely not even reach it and 2) you can get that fully realized potential right here and now in Zach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m having a tough time getting past the injury concerns and accelerated time line too, like others have mentioned.

The way the Bulls have mismanaged the whole Lonzo Ball injury situation too should give people pause.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/l...-knee-surgery/

Chicago Bulls point guard Lonzo Ball has been ruled out for the remainder of the season due to his knee injury, the team announced on Wednesday. He will continue rehabbing and hopes to be ready for the start of the 2022-23 season.
    Ball has not played since Jan. 14 with what the team initially diagnosed as a knee bruise. Further evaluation later revealed Ball suffered a torn meniscus, and he underwent surgery to address the issue on Jan. 28
    A knee bruise which was actually a meniscus tear? Buyer beware…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm, I'm pretty torn on this. I'm not the biggest Lavine fan and while I don't worry too much about the knee, I do wonder whether the Spurs are actually ready for pulling the trigger like this and accelerating their timeline so much. Signing Lavine puts a huge clock on the Spurs' head for immediate contention, as Zach won't leave a good situation in CHI for nothing short of the promise of coming into a "WCF or bust" kinda team. Can the Spurs as constructed (and a few FA moves, ofc) fulfill those expectations? Or will they set themselves up for even more years of mediocrity and nothing to show for it?

Personally, I would rather the Spurs wait one more year before trying a move like this. Of course, Lavine won't be available by then, but if we've learned anything of the modern NBA, it's that there's always bound to be malcontent star players waiting for an opportunity to bounce off their teams. I'd like to see just one more season of Spurs' young core growing into their roles, getting extended run and minutes, and either fight for the POs or tank out, get a top lottery pick, and finish rounding up "The Core" that would attract a Lavine-level talent to SanAn. I have serious reservations as to whether the Spurs could put together a better team for Zach than this years' Bulls did, TBH.

Basically 60/40 on this, and hopefully Zach re-signs with Chicago and prevents the scenario from even happening. I liked this year's Bulls, and they have a great fanbase that's starving for good basketball.
    Malcontent stars are the exact sort that does not want or that SA should not want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh man. The fact that Vassell and Primo are our 2 guards is exactly the reason Lavine makes sense. I know in your mind Vassell is a future all-star and 25/5/5 guy and Primo is a future HoFer but guess what; probably not.
    It’s not all that I said. But yes, signing LaVine could derail the development of Devin and Primo, or not. But it’s a concern. The same way we moved on from Demar and the rest of the vets, and traded Derrick. Again it may or may not. While Devin could play SF and Primo continue coming as backup SG.

To me it wasn’t a number 1 priority. The gaping hole is the PF position and C if they decided to move from Poeltl. I think we’re good at 1, 2, 3. I think if we’re lucky to get a top pick at PF, and signing LaVine would further move the Spurs over the hill, then by all means. What I’m saying is LaVine’s signing is more of a 2nd or 3rd move if you’re playing chess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am definitely for signing him ESPECIALLY if its via sign and trade. If you can get Lavine but still have 20M in cap space plus at least pick 9 and/or 20/25 I think its a risk you have to take.

If you are replacing say Dougs 15M for example the 36M really turns into 21M since Doug sucks and you were paying him anyways. No brainer IMO

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    f it, go get him. Lets see what a Murray-Levine backcourt can down over the next 3-4 years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree -- the combo of Doug, Richardson, Langford's contract gets you close the the ~30M you'd need. Tack on Jock, KBD and you get closer to ~32M. Only contract there with value is Richardson, so spurs probably have to tack on a pick to dispose of Doug. Others can just be waived by CHI.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eason with those two is the more realistic “Seattle trio” that I’d like to see happen.

I didn't realize (until just now) that Tari went to HS in Seattle too. Damn, now I'm with that if our 20% chance of Banchero dreams don't come to fruition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ALL of the shooting guards in the upcoming draft have a slim to none chance of even reaching Zach’s level. To say some rando unknown like Sharpe is a better gamble than signing Zach is blasphemy. Why wait for a prospect to fully realize his potential when 1) said prospect will likely not even reach it and 2) you can get that fully realized potential right here and now in Zach.
    IMO the best way of looking at it is that Zach is the maximum of Lonnie's potential. If Lonnie had spent the last 4 years becoming Zach, we'd be ecstatic talking about backing up the truck to give him a big extension. No one would be saying "yeah, Lonnie is a FA but we should just let him go because we have Devin and Primo" or "we need to preserve that cap flexibility so we have to let Lonnie go".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO the best way of looking at it is that Zach is the maximum of Lonnie's potential. If Lonnie had spent the last 4 years becoming Zach, we'd be ecstatic talking about backing up the truck to give him a big extension. No one would be saying "yeah, Lonnie is a FA but we should just let him go because we have Devin and Primo" or "we need to preserve that cap flexibility so we have to let Lonnie go".
    This is exactly the outside thinking I wish more people had.

the third one you can add is, “Well, I’d rather bet on our top pick next year than pay Lonnie now”

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm, I'm pretty torn on this. I'm not the biggest Lavine fan and while I don't worry too much about the knee, I do wonder whether the Spurs are actually ready for pulling the trigger like this and accelerating their timeline so much. Signing Lavine puts a huge clock on the Spurs' head for immediate contention, as Zach won't leave a good situation in CHI for nothing short of the promise of coming into a "WCF or bust" kinda team. Can the Spurs as constructed (and a few FA moves, ofc) fulfill those expectations? Or will they set themselves up for even more years of mediocrity and nothing to show for it?

Personally, I would rather the Spurs wait one more year before trying a move like this. Of course, Lavine won't be available by then, but if we've learned anything of the modern NBA, it's that there's always bound to be malcontent star players waiting for an opportunity to bounce off their teams. I'd like to see just one more season of Spurs' young core growing into their roles, getting extended run and minutes, and either fight for the POs or tank out, get a top lottery pick, and finish rounding up "The Core" that would attract a Lavine-level talent to SanAn. I have serious reservations as to whether the Spurs could put together a better team for Zach than this years' Bulls did, TBH.

Basically 60/40 on this, and hopefully Zach re-signs with Chicago and prevents the scenario from even happening. I liked this year's Bulls, and they have a great fanbase that's starving for good basketball.
    I would take Lavine on a max deal, he's one of the few stars the Spurs might have a real shot at and this isn't a franchise that's going to draw free agents. Lavine might be their only shot at a good FA signing. Spurs aren't the Lakers, they aren't going to have Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaquille O'Neal, or LeBron James force their way here. And as pointed out previously, the Spurs won't have capspace a year from now unless they send Jakob and Keldon walking. And Poetl is definitely someone you want to keep if you're off the tanking schedule and looking to win some playoff games. If Primo develops to be good enough to challenge Lavine for the starting spot later on that's a good problem to have. Either you have another star to play sixth man or you have a great trade chip in either him or Lavine to go after someone who fills a bigger need on the roster.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 04-29-2022 at 08:07 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs still turn out to be a fake contender after signing Zach (which I think folks are underestimating the seamless fit Zach will have here) the Spurs aren’t as locked tight with their ceiling as others doomed them to be. Their strategy just needs to continue with drafting high risk, high reward players from the 15th pick all the way to the end of the first round. The advantage this organization has is their scouting and developing prowess. They will never be capped if they understand when to let go of players who limit others (DeMar, Patty, Gay) and let younger players eventually find their niche over time.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real prize would be Beal but I doubt Spurs could lure him here since he loves playing Washington despite the team not being successful. Who knows though.
    Beal has nerve problems that wrecked his shot and his shot is really all he had. Would definitely want to hear some opinions from doctors how well that can be rehabbed.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No doubt. I don't let myself go there, but if we're dreaming that would be the mother of all offseasons.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am definitely for signing him ESPECIALLY if its via sign and trade. If you can get Lavine but still have 20M in cap space plus at least pick 9 and/or 20/25 I think its a risk you have to take.

If you are replacing say Dougs 15M for example the 36M really turns into 21M since Doug sucks and you were paying him anyways. No brainer IMO
    This pretty much... If you can get Zach you do it (I don't understand the arguments against it) but, if you can get him by S&T it's a home run... some combination of Doug, Rich, a pick, and KJ (not all just these for discussion) should be on the table...then go get a PF and let's start talking about playoff seeding instead of play in games...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Have no idea if it’s feasible, but would interested to see a s&t along these lines and then an offer to miles bridges. Interestingly these two and DJM are Rich Paul clients, if that means anything.

Thread Information