Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    And the majority of those live paycheck to paycheck because of their own choices. If I spent $1000 on iphones, $200 on Jordans, weed and beer all the time, drove a car I can't afford, etc like the idiots I grew up with I'd be a broke ass too.
    Idk man, the median family of 4 makes $60k a year before taxes. Idk how you’d be able to build up any material amoint of savings having to support a family of 4 on that much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's almost always a choice, even if it's not for those specific reasons. SoCal and NYC have a huge percentage of people that are renters. Nobody is keeping them there at gunpoint, preventing them from moving to more affordable places where they can become homeowners.
    I agree waiving payment is stupid and irresponsible.

But bolded is not as easy as it sounds.

My half brothers own a house in NYC, but they've been wanting to move for quite a while now to avoid the city hustle but some jobs/careers are just hard to find in cheaper cities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its one thing to move when you're about to go to college, be a student, and arent expected to financially support a family.

having a job (or jobs for a working couple) lined up in a different city/state isnt that simple. the act of moving itself is expensive. getting necessary appliances/furniture in place asap. and often times when you do this, you are moving away from family who could support you for a few nights by giving you a place to stay, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its one thing to move when you're about to go to college, be a student, and arent expected to financially support a family.

having a job (or jobs for a working couple) lined up in a different city/state isnt that simple. the act of moving itself is expensive. getting necessary appliances/furniture in place asap. and often times when you do this, you are moving away from family who could support you for a few nights by giving you a place to stay, etc

To add to that NYC and other larger cities has a large ethnic population and extended families in other cultures tend to rely on each other for care..taking care of older uncles/aunts etc. It's not always because they want to look cool and live in NYC and buy 300 dollar eearings or something stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idk man, the median family of 4 makes $60k a year before taxes. Idk how you’d be able to build up any material amoint of savings having to support a family of 4 on that much.
    Bro, my dad came here illegally. Eventually was granted amnesty and brought my mom, me, and three of my siblings over into a one bedroom apartment. I remember sleeping on sleeping bags in that first apartment. He was the only source of income. Worked his ass off as a construction laborer. I don't remember him ever missing work. He provided all the essentials but nothing past that. We lived within our means and eventually moved into a bigger apartment, then into a house. He had his priorities and finances in order.

Your position in life is, more often than not, a reflection of what you put into it. I don't buy most of these sob stories.

I agree waiving payment is stupid and irresponsible.

But bolded is not as easy as it sounds.

My half brothers own a house in NYC, but they've been wanting to move for quite a while now to avoid the city hustle but some jobs/careers are just hard to find in cheaper cities.
    Your brothers aren't really who I'm talking about. They're homeowners in a really expensive market, so that and the fact that their career isn't something you can find just anywhere probably means they're professionals who can live there if they want. I'm talking about low income renters in retail, fast food, blue collar work, etc that stay in really expensive places even though it makes no financial sense to do so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's a choice to start a family in a really expensive city despite being poor and having no path to homeownership.

It's like the 22 year old single mom, with three kids, and three different baby dads that are out of the picture. Yeah, it's really hard to raise three kids on your own working as a waitress but who the forced you to be a little hoe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at all the assertions from people who've never done it. There are plenty here who have raised a family and moved out of state with a family based on necessity or opportunity. Let those people speak up. The rest of you whippersnappers pipe down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro, my dad came here illegally. Eventually was granted amnesty and brought my mom, me, and three of my siblings over into a one bedroom apartment. I remember sleeping on sleeping bags in that first apartment. He was the only source of income. Worked his ass off as a construction laborer. I don't remember him ever missing work. He provided all the essentials but nothing past that. We lived within our means and eventually moved into a bigger apartment, then into a house. He had his priorities and finances in order.

Your position in life is, more often than not, a reflection of what you put into it. I don't buy most of these sob stories.

Your brothers aren't really who I'm talking about. They're homeowners in a really expensive market, so that and the fact that their career isn't something you can find just anywhere probably means they're professionals who can live there if they want. I'm talking about low income renters in retail, fast food, blue collar work, etc that stay in really expensive places even though it makes no financial sense to do so.
    Well said

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

Your position in life is, more often than not, a reflection of what you put into it. I don't buy most of these sob stories
    He worked his ass off and didn’t splurge on yet y’all were still packed into an apartment. That’s kinda my point, this is the richest country in the world. If you’re busting your ass and not missing work you should be able to afford beds for your kids.

There’s also plenty of families in the same shoes that are in the process of saving up for a house until they have an unexpected medical emergency that drives them into bankruptcy because of their ty insurance.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    In terms of finding affordable housing it’s also a lot more difficult now. The first apartment I rented after I graduated from school was $800 a month...the same apartment is going for over $1,200 now. Apartment rent rates have grown at a much higher rate than inflation over the last 10 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at all the assertions from people who've never done it. There are plenty here who have raised a family and moved out of state with a family based on necessity or opportunity. Let those people speak up. The rest of you whippersnappers pipe down.
    ElNono and i both moved across the country within roughly the last year or so. he moved to CA, i moved out of CA

i'm not supporting a family beyond my wife and i, but at the same time, we're currently on one income and paying grad school tuition out of pocket

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Regarding this thread though you should pay rent if your income levels haven’t changed from COVID.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He worked his ass off and didn’t splurge on yet y’all were still packed into an apartment. That’s kinda my point, this is the richest country in the world. If you’re busting your ass and not missing work you should be able to afford beds for your kids.
    Well, it was temporary. And a big part of the reason it was that way initially was the thousands he spent in paperwork, attorney fees, hotels while we finalized everything at the border. Thanks to his hard work and discipline things got progressively better.

There’s also plenty of families in the same shoes that are in the process of saving up for a house until they have an unexpected medical emergency that drives them into bankruptcy because of their ty insurance.
    That's fair. There are definitely extenuating cir stances out there. I just don't think that's the norm. Maybe it's anecdotal, but the large majority of poverty I've seen is just a result of a lack of ambition and work ethic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regarding this thread though you should pay rent if your income levels haven’t changed from COVID.
    Even if it has changed, if you have the reserves (like most responsible adults do) you should pay it, imo.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Even if it has changed, if you have the reserves (like most responsible adults do) you should pay it, imo.
    Yeah sorry that’s what I meant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    absolutely

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but landlords need to recognize that a lot of people renting dont have much reserves (else they'd be homeowners), and what limited reserves may be available are going to be prioritized for food and utilities.

landlords arent exempt from the financial crisis

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    but landlords need to recognize that a lot of people renting dont have much reserves (else they'd be homeowners), and what limited reserves may be available are going to be prioritized for food and utilities.

Fannie and Freddie rolled out a program yesterday where all multifamily landlords with Fannien or Freddie debt can defer 3 months of debt service payments in exchange for agreeing not to evict any residents until December 21 (potentially later depending on whether the crisis is still going on), and A LOT of them are going to take that offer. There’s going to be plenty of rent relief.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

US sounds pretty bad scrah.

I haven't met anyone here who isn't paid during this pandemic. But the amount of stupid people trying to defer all payments while still getting paid the same amount before is hilariously high. I get if you wanted to defer one or two payments in case companies stop paying but all is just ridiculous.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In terms of finding affordable housing it’s also a lot more difficult now. The first apartment I rented after I graduated from school was $800 a month...the same apartment is going for over $1,200 now. Apartment rent rates have grown at a much higher rate than inflation over the last 10 years.

Yeah, I saw that Tweet about the person unable to pay a $450 or so rent. Where in the do you live to get 1990's rents like that? If not, then it's Section 8.

Housing is through the roof. We're very fortunate our landlord is an old widow who doesn't care to raise the rent whatsoever. I know for a fact she could easily get $400-$500 a month more with the way things have rocketed here the past 5 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US sounds pretty bad scrah.

I haven't met anyone here who isn't paid during this pandemic. But the amount of stupid people trying to defer all payments while still getting paid the same amount before is hilariously high. I get if you wanted to defer one or two payments in case companies stop paying but all is just ridiculous.
    cant say the same

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's fair. There are definitely extenuating cir stances out there. I just don't think that's the norm. Maybe it's anecdotal, but the large majority of poverty I've seen is just a result of a lack of ambition and work ethic.
    While I agree with much of what you're saying, people truly in poverty aren't the ones irresponsible and deeply in debt IMO. You might make an argument for lack of ambition though. The middle class are the ones that have no idea how to handle money. People don't need to eat out, drive new cars, get the latest phones, take vacations, etc to live comfortably. And kids don't need to be enrolled in a dozen expensive sports/activities to thrive. It's perfectly possible to raise a family on 60k and retire with a nest egg. It may not be very fun, but you do what you have to do instead of acting en led and spending money on you can't afford.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree

Its the norm bruh. 40% of Americans don't have $400 in savings in case of an emergency. You probably have neighbors who go to work every single day and only have $50 in savings in the bank. Living paycheck to paycheck is the norm and its not just the westside hoodrats who are in this predicament.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its the norm bruh. 40% of Americans don't have $400 in savings in case of an emergency. You probably have neighbors who go to work every single day and only have $50 in savings in the bank. Living paycheck to paycheck is the norm and its not just the westside hoodrats who are in this predicament.
    Don't have $50 in the bank, but have a $500 car payment. That is the norm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't have $50 in the bank, but have a $500 car payment. That is the norm.
    yeah..Not very foreign in canada either.

60k family income

Mortage of 2k a month with 3 cars totalling 600 dollars a month payments. With Other bills and stuff....They're always borrowing from credit card and that CC debt just going up and up with interest.

Thread Information