Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2003 was such a magical season. Mavs were like 10 games ahead in first place at one point, and like you said, never really hit a drought.

But that season is what taught me the value of pounding the rock. Those Spurs were undermanned and fought hard for every game.

By the end of the season, they had tied the Mavericks in the standings and taken the tiebreaker for the #1 seed and were rolling going into the playoffs.

Every series went to 6 games...but the Spurs never stopped pounding.

They came back against the Suns after Marbury stole Game 1. They upset the threepeat Lakers. They showed the Mavericks who was boss in the WCF. And they gutted out another Game 6 victory after being down on their home floor so that confetti could rain on Robinson one last time.

I know being a couple spots higher in the draft would be nice. But these guys deserve a good playoff run, and it's not hard to imagine. If 2003 showed us anything...it's that there is always a reason to believe.
    '03 was ridiculous tbh. So many miracles happened to get that ring, and the Spurs were on a mission to send DRob out in glory

- Pre-China Marbury making the first series a series with his pluckyness (everyone got so plucky against Team Duncan!)

- beating the 3peat lakers, basically with Duncan going full out MVP/God mode, while Shaq and Kobe were both in their primes (LeBroom voice as TD: "dat right dere made me the GOAT.")

making Kobe/DFish cry:

- Capt. Jack and Kerr going bonkers in game 6 of the Mavs series, hitting all those 3s

...and the finals series no one but Spurs and Nets fans watched. Featuing rookie Manu

plucky KMart

Also Speedy Claxton bailing out Tony. Speedy! Speedy!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

- Capt. Jack and Kerr going bonkers in game 6 of the Mavs series, hitting all those 3s

Still one of my favorite runs in Spurs history...especially since the Mavs had just upset the Spurs in similar fashion in game 5.

Top 3:

1) 2014 Finals Game 5 - 39-15 run to turn a first quarter beating into a championship

2) 2003 WCF Game 6 - Kerr and Jackson make DRob go bonkers (already posted)

3) 2013 WCSF Game 1 - Spurs erase a 16-point 4th quarter deficit to force a double-overtime win against the Warriors:

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know being a couple spots higher in the draft would be nice. But these guys deserve a good playoff run, and it's not hard to imagine. If 2003 showed us anything...it's that there is always a reason to believe.

Dammit, Dex. I liked the sound of that. And the Spurs are now sitting 6th, with only two losses separating them from OKC.

And then I look at the current draft position, and they've moved down to 20. There is a HUGE difference in potential between 13 and 20. And if they play well enough to move up into that 4-5 slot, they will be drafting just about where they always do. Just once, I wanted to see them get up to where the clear talent is. I know they've done well with what they've had, but I really, really wanted to see them apply that skill to the upper half of the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sacto lost tonight, and the Spurs are now 6 games ahead in the loss column with 13 games left to play. The Spurs haven't offically locked anything up, but it would be an epic collapse at this point to miss the playoffs. Portland isn't going away, so it looks like they could finish anywhere from 5-8, but I guess the streak is going to continue.

I'm really getting kind of worn out talking/wondering about who their first round series will be. I would love for them to be compe ive, at least. If they could take a series to 6 games, it's worth a lot of revenue from three home playoff games. Honestly that looks like overachieving compared to where they were earlier in the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Another Spurs win and a pair of Kings losses is just what the doctor ordered. Spurs now have a 6.5 game lead on Sacramento in the W/L column, and their Magic Number looks much better than it did just two weeks ago.

Meanwhile, LeTank is still in full effect in Los Angeles, and the Pelicans still seem to have their wings clipped even with AD back in the lineup...it's really no wonder why their star bigman wants out of the bayou.

Tonight is a big night for the Spurs. Not only does their matchup against Portland have big playoff implications, but the Thunder, Jazz, and Nuggets all have tough games of their own.

With a top six seed in sight, the Spurs need to keep their foot on the gas and continue to protect their home ground.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Spurs win and a Thunder loss would be great news today, keeping GS at #1 and increasing the Spurs' chances of moving up.

OC has the toughest remaining schedule of any top 8 team in the West at 2.23 (though one of their tough games is the season finale @MIL, and the Bucks should have the overall #1 seed locked up by then), and Utah has the easiest at -3.18. The other teams that the Spurs are jockeying with all have rSOS (remaining strength of schedule) around -0.5.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...yoff_prob.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Another Spurs win and a pair of Kings losses is just what the doctor ordered. Spurs now have a 6.5 game lead on Sacramento in the W/L column, and their Magic Number looks much better than it did just two weeks ago.

Meanwhile, LeTank is still in full effect in Los Angeles, and the Pelicans still seem to have their wings clipped even with AD back in the lineup...it's really no wonder why their star bigman wants out of the bayou.

Tonight is a big night for the Spurs. Not only does their matchup against Portland have big playoff implications, but the Thunder, Jazz, and Nuggets all have tough games of their own.

With a top six seed in sight, the Spurs need to keep their foot on the gas and continue to protect their home ground.
    We just need to keep taking care of our own business. 4 is conceivable buy very unlikely. 5 seems possible. And anything less than 6 would disappoint me a little at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Snake is returning on Monday vs us.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be pretty happy with 7th. GSW has 2 to 1 lead in the season series with DEN, and the final game is at home for them; for DEN to take the tiebreaker, they would have to win by 47 pts if I have my math right. Combined with a 1 game GSW lead in the standings, I suspect that GSW will be #1 overall. Given there is no way we are getting to 4th (IMO) and home court, 7th is the best combination of first round opponent and draft pick...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    West standings:

A conservative look at the Spurs' remaining schedule, where they lose against GSW, @HOU, @BOS, @DEN, closes their season with a 9-4 record from their remaining games. They would have a 49-33 record, and a solid shot at the 5th seed, if OKC were to falter on their 4th-hardest-in-the-NBA schedule remaining (link). But they would also be fighting off the Jazz, who sport the league's easiest schedule for the remaining month.

Sat 3/16 - vs. POR (Spurs on home/home B2B, POR on away/away B2B) - W (toss-up)
    Mon 3/18 - vs. GSW - L
    Wed 3/20 - vs. MIA - W
    Fri 3/22 - @ HOU - L
    Sun 3/24 - @ BOS (BOS on away/home B2B) - L
    Tue 3/26 - @ CHA - W
    Thu 3/28 - vs. CLE (Manu jersey retirement ceremony) - W
    Sun 3/31 - vs. SAC (Kings on away/away B2B) - W
    Tue 4/2 - vs. ATL - W
    Wed 4/3 - @ DEN (Spurs on home-away B2B, DEN on away/home B2B) - L (may be a toss-up as DEN will have just played GSW, and if GSW rested, DEN wins easily. If GSW didn't rest, DEN will be tired)
    Fri 3/5 - @ WAS - W
    Sun 4/7 - @ CLE - W
    Wed 4/10 - vs. DAL (DAL on home/away B2B) - W

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Spurs win and a Thunder loss would be great news today, keeping GS at #1 and increasing the Spurs' chances of moving up.
    It went even better than I could have hoped. Westbrook got his 16th tech and will miss OC's next game against Miami. They then play Toronto twice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wanted to put a bit more detail into the tie-break scenarios for the teams that could still factor into SA’s seeding.

Golden State — H2H win on Monday. The Warriors have a huge lead for the second tie-break but they honestly won’t be caught, so I’m not going into great detail there. Only have them for completeness’ sake.

Denver — H2H goes to the Spurs if they win the 4/3 game. If they lose, Denver has a commanding lead for the tie-break, but they’re also unlikely to be caught anyway.

Houston — Can tie up H2H on 3/22, which would give them control of the second tie-break (division record). They’d also be decently positioned to win the conference-record tie-break. The Rockets are one of the few teams that have a better record against the West than SA does, but win a loss to the Spurs, the two clubs would be knotted up with Houston having a harder in-conference schedule at that point.

OKC — H2H locked in, but in the event of a three-way tie, the Spurs have to worry about the Thunder’s stellar conference record. They are only one game behind the Spurs, and that includes this recent loss to GS

Portland — H2H knotted up. The Spurs hold a substantial lead in conference record, and they could clinch that tie-break as early as Friday if they win their two conference games next weekend and Portland loses theirs against Dallas. The Spurs actually have a very East-based schedule the rest of the way, so it might take a while to get the official tie-break. But it should happen eventually.

Utah — Lost the H2H already, and there’s a decent chance the Jazz could catch the Spurs in the conference-record tie-break. SA has a one-game lead, but that could be snapped up pretty easily by Houston and/or GS. Even if the Spurs do win this tie-break, it’s pretty unlikely they’d get to this second step in multi-team scenarios. They’d lose in three-way ties with, Portland, OKC, LAC and Sacramento. They’d only not lose against Denver (though Utah would actually still beat SA unless the Nuggets win both lose their game against SA and beat Utah five days later). They’d lose to against Houston if the Rockets were in another division, but since the winner of the Southwest has to be determined first, if the Spurs won based on division record or something, they’d actually win the multi-team tie-break due to the “zeroth rule” where division winners automatically win any ties with wildcards (and no, this is not the same rule that was changed after 2015 — it’s still there.) It doesn’t help that the two teams are tied in the loss column already, so it wouldn’t be absurd to consider Utah the actual sixth seed as of right now.

LAC — H2H knotted up. Conference tie-break is too close to call. The Spurs have a two-game lead on them, and both teams play Houston and GS. The Spurs also play Denver, though, and neither Dallas nor Sacramento can be taken lightly.

SAC — Lost the H2H already. If the Spurs win a conference game or if the Kings lose a conference game, the Spurs will secure the second-tie break. As with the Jazz, it’s really hard to see a scenario where the Spurs even get to a second tie-break scenario with the Kings. Losing a three-game series 2-1 is a killer for multi-team scenarios.

Minnesota — The Spurs have already won the H2H, and their conference magic number is 1. Heck, it might be zero, but I can’t be asked to calculate the third tie-break (record against playoff teams in the West). Seeing how they’re at the bottom of a division where the other four teams are currently in the playoffs, I’d assume they wouldn’t grade well there, while SA has an okay record against Western playoff teams that could become downright elite if they win their matches against GS, Houston and Denver.

LAL — LOL. Their 3-1 H2H win makes it really unlikely the teams could even have a second tie-break. They’re toast anyway.

DAL — Also LOL. They’re in the same boat the Lakers are, but their magic number is lower. It’s possible that the Spurs have secured all possible three-way tie-breaks anyway. Even if Dallas managed to tie, the Spurs have already won the second tie-break too.

NO and Memphis can’t catch SA in any scenario and Phoenix has been eliminated from playoff contention. No need to talk about them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazing that we can still get 3rd seed. To somehow pull that off should easily give Pop coach of the year honors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westbrook got a T tonight which means he is suspended next game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wanted to put a bit more detail into the tie-break scenarios for the teams that could still factor into SA’s seeding.

Golden State — H2H win on Monday. The Warriors have a huge lead for the second tie-break but they honestly won’t be caught, so I’m not going into great detail there. Only have them for completeness’ sake.

Denver — H2H goes to the Spurs if they win the 4/3 game. If they lose, Denver has a commanding lead for the tie-break, but they’re also unlikely to be caught anyway.

Houston — Can tie up H2H on 3/22, which would give them control of the second tie-break (division record). They’d also be decently positioned to win the conference-record tie-break. The Rockets are one of the few teams that have a better record against the West than SA does, but win a loss to the Spurs, the two clubs would be knotted up with Houston having a harder in-conference schedule at that point.

OKC — H2H locked in, but in the event of a three-way tie, the Spurs have to worry about the Thunder’s stellar conference record. They are only one game behind the Spurs, and that includes this recent loss to GS

Portland — H2H knotted up. The Spurs hold a substantial lead in conference record, and they could clinch that tie-break as early as Friday if they win their two conference games next weekend and Portland loses theirs against Dallas. The Spurs actually have a very East-based schedule the rest of the way, so it might take a while to get the official tie-break. But it should happen eventually.

Utah — Lost the H2H already, and there’s a decent chance the Jazz could catch the Spurs in the conference-record tie-break. SA has a one-game lead, but that could be snapped up pretty easily by Houston and/or GS. Even if the Spurs do win this tie-break, it’s pretty unlikely they’d get to this second step in multi-team scenarios. They’d lose in three-way ties with, Portland, OKC, LAC and Sacramento. They’d only not lose against Denver (though Utah would actually still beat SA unless the Nuggets win both lose their game against SA and beat Utah five days later). They’d lose to against Houston if the Rockets were in another division, but since the winner of the Southwest has to be determined first, if the Spurs won based on division record or something, they’d actually win the multi-team tie-break due to the “zeroth rule” where division winners automatically win any ties with wildcards (and no, this is not the same rule that was changed after 2015 — it’s still there.) It doesn’t help that the two teams are tied in the loss column already, so it wouldn’t be absurd to consider Utah the actual sixth seed as of right now.

LAC — H2H knotted up. Conference tie-break is too close to call. The Spurs have a two-game lead on them, and both teams play Houston and GS. The Spurs also play Denver, though, and neither Dallas nor Sacramento can be taken lightly.

SAC — Lost the H2H already. If the Spurs win a conference game or if the Kings lose a conference game, the Spurs will secure the second-tie break. As with the Jazz, it’s really hard to see a scenario where the Spurs even get to a second tie-break scenario with the Kings. Losing a three-game series 2-1 is a killer for multi-team scenarios.

Minnesota — The Spurs have already won the H2H, and their conference magic number is 1. Heck, it might be zero, but I can’t be asked to calculate the third tie-break (record against playoff teams in the West). Seeing how they’re at the bottom of a division where the other four teams are currently in the playoffs, I’d assume they wouldn’t grade well there, while SA has an okay record against Western playoff teams that could become downright elite if they win their matches against GS, Houston and Denver.

LAL — LOL. Their 3-1 H2H win makes it really unlikely the teams could even have a second tie-break. They’re toast anyway.

DAL — Also LOL. They’re in the same boat the Lakers are, but their magic number is lower. It’s possible that the Spurs have secured all possible three-way tie-breaks anyway. Even if Dallas managed to tie, the Spurs have already won the second tie-break too.

NO and Memphis can’t catch SA in any scenario and Phoenix has been eliminated from playoff contention. No need to talk about them.
    Hats off.

How long did it take you to prepare and make this post? Appreciated much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazing that we can still get 3rd seed. To somehow pull that off should easily give Pop coach of the year honors.
    Amazing that we can still win it all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hats off.

It's pretty obvious Chinook did the research and made this post so he could laugh out loud and take a on the Lakers and the Mavs while staying polite and analytical as he is accustomed to be

Chinook,it's okay dude,i got you.

the Lakers. the Mavericks.

Go Spurs GO!

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep, some brilliant moves by Pop this year, starting Bryn and giving him the green light has paid yuge dividends

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Because Dex's utterly brilliant thread, chart, and updates aren't enough. We all needed to read a text version... from you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because Dex's utterly brilliant thread, chart, and updates aren't enough. We all needed to read a text version... from you.
    The only common information is the H2H records. The lower tie-breaks that matter against teams like Portland and could matter against Houston and three-team scenarios tend not to be covered by magic numbers. I've done my turn doing this thread in previous years, and I know how deep the rabbit hole of playoff scenarios can go. Dex knows I'm not stepping on his toes by talking about the next level of tie-breaks. It will explain how magic numbers randomly change when there isn't an obvious reason for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hats off.

It should have just been a short little update. I started typing to just mentioned how SA probably has the tie-break against the Blazers locked up, but I kept adding teams. Then I got to Utah and realized how big of a CF those tie-breaks are. Then I just decided to cover the entire conference.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Five Thirty Eight projects the Spurs to be 7th, >99% in the playoffs, <1% winning the Championship.

59 Warriors
    54 Nuggets
    52 Rockets
    50 Jazz, Thunder, Trail Blazers
    47 Spurs
    46 Clippers
    ___
    39 Kings

Five Thirty Eight really likes the Jazz' schedule.

Spurs Scedule
    32% Warriors -5
    69% Heat +5
    17% @Rockets -10
    23% @Celtics -7.5
    40% @Hornets -2.5
    87% Cavaliers +11.5
    78% Kings +7.5
    83% Hawks +9.5
    17% @Nuggets -9.5 [2nd of a back to back in Denver is historically the worst road disadvantage in the NBA]
    43% @Wizards -1.5
    69% @Cavaliers -1.5
    78% Mavericks -8
    Last edited by Drom John; 03-17-2019 at 11:00 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It should have just been a short little update. I started typing to just mentioned how SA probably has the tie-break against the Blazers locked up, but I kept adding teams. Then I got to Utah and realized how big of a CF those tie-breaks are. Then I just decided to cover the entire conference.
    That's my wife's at ude towards shopping for shoes and handbags

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's my wife's at ude towards shopping for shoes and handbags
    For my SWMBO, cookbooks and quilt blocks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only common information is the H2H records. The lower tie-breaks that matter against teams like Portland and could matter against Houston and three-team scenarios tend not to be covered by magic numbers. I've done my turn doing this thread in previous years, and I know how deep the rabbit hole of playoff scenarios can go. Dex knows I'm not stepping on his toes by talking about the next level of tie-breaks. It will explain how magic numbers randomly change when there isn't an obvious reason for them.
    No toes stepped on. I'm all for anything that encourages actual positive basketball discussion around here, and your input is always appreciated.

Things definitely get a lot more complicated once you start looking at multi-way tiebreakers.

Thread Information