Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    We are officially accepting UT-Austin t-shirt fan transfers. Come fill the Dome with us.

Last night game was awesome.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    yeah!!! I was there yesterday. Took 2 other couples with us. They thought everything was awesome. From tailgating, to the crowd and attendance, down to the ass whoppin we laid on Rice.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    We back boys!

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    great to see the success of the local program-especially since it's truly a local team in terms of the roster. LA Tech will be a formidable challenge though so i'm hoping that UTSA can get that road win and build from there. I still plan on getting to a game-hopefully the UAB one.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    great to see the success of the local program-especially since it's truly a local team in terms of the roster. LA Tech will be a formidable challenge though so i'm hoping that UTSA can get that road win and build from there. I still plan on getting to a game-hopefully the UAB one.
    If they could keep all their coaches and build something in SA this would be an incredible feat. I would love it.
    I was looking at UTEP and they look like they know how to win games. What do you think about them?

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    If they could keep all their coaches and build something in SA this would be an incredible feat. I would love it.
    I was looking at UTEP and they look like they know how to win games. What do you think about them?
    Utep has had plenty of time to try to build something. They are what they are at this point. I think utsa is in a much better spot for the long haul than utep, being in a big city in south Central Texas.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Plenty of chances to lose coming up since the UTSA defense really isn't that great against a balanced offense, but replacing the mothership in a top 25 debut is pretty hilarious. I don't think the birds could beat UT or really anyone else who got votes, but it's really putting the program on the map. I'll jinx them by looking forward to potential bowl matchups-- best case scenario is BYU, right?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    i can't figure them out. they got hammered by boise state and barely beat old dominion and southern miss. but then they dominated La Tech. it seems that their constant has been the defense. and they are always better at home. it's definitely a tough stretch down the road for the runners but i agree that it would be great if they can keep this coaching staff intact and continue to build up this program.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Utep has had plenty of time to try to build something. They are what they are at this point. I think utsa is in a much better spot for the long haul than utep, being in a big city in south Central Texas.
    UTSA is in a great spot to steal away recruits from the likes of UTEP. in just a short time, UTSA has probably been one of the major contributing factors to the demise of Texas State's football program.

Post Count
    UTSA is in a great spot to steal away recruits from the likes of UTEP. in just a short time, UTSA has probably been one of the major contributing factors to the demise of Texas State's football program.
    I think they've already been stealing recruits away from the likes of UTEP for some time now. They really have to do better than that in order to elevate the program further. They'll need to get recruits from the likes of Houston and Baylor to really up their game.

I see UTSA having a whole lot in common with UCF. It's a big growing public school that is this not quite first tier but is in a major market and a major football talent rich state. It hasn't been playing D-1 football for that long but being the only big public school in San Antonio sort of makes up for it.

Post Count
    I don't think the birds could beat UT or really anyone else who got votes, but it's really putting the program on the map.
    It's hard to say. UT specifically is really injured right now and has a terrible offensive line. I can't believe I'm writing this but I'm not 100% sure UT would win in a matchup. I wouldn't put my money on it -- let's just say that.

For UTSA, this seasons really comes down to winning the conference championship and winning the bowl game. Final ranking or non-ranking won't matter if they don't do those things.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Pretty much, which is sad for Texas State considering how long it's been around.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    It's hard to say. UT specifically is really injured right now and has a terrible offensive line. I can't believe I'm writing this but I'm not 100% sure UT would win in a matchup. I wouldn't put my money on it -- let's just say that.

For UTSA, this seasons really comes down to winning the conference championship and winning the bowl game. Final ranking or non-ranking won't matter if they don't do those things.
    Exactly. It's weird that an undefeated season is a real possibility; it just seems really fragile. There are three very losable games on the schedule, but now 10-3 with a New Orleans Bowl win seems like a terrible disappointment.

Which is ridiculous. Good problem to have.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    If utsa goes undefeated all it means is a nice bowl game trophy. Theyve needed 16 team playoff system for 15 years now

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    If utsa goes undefeated all it means is a nice bowl game trophy. Theyve needed 16 team playoff system for 15 years now
    Meh, college football is so stratified I'm not too put off by the Independence Bowl ceiling this season or even going forward. The P5 is going to calcify after adding two or three more teams. I'm even dubious about UTSA's moving "up" to the AAC or MWC. The cost just doesn't seem worth it.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I think they've already been stealing recruits away from the likes of UTEP for some time now. They really have to do better than that in order to elevate the program further. They'll need to get recruits from the likes of Houston and Baylor to really up their game.

I see UTSA having a whole lot in common with UCF. It's a big growing public school that is this not quite first tier but is in a major market and a major football talent rich state. It hasn't been playing D-1 football for that long but being the only big public school in San Antonio sort of makes up for it.
    yeah, UCF is exactly who I compare them too. what UTSA needs now is a more engaged alumni base, and especially some with deep pockets. i also think it's be in their best interest to build a stadium on campus. and it will help coach traylor if he can get some recruits from the DFW and Houston markets as well. that would indeed take UTSA to the next level.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Meh, college football is so stratified I'm not too put off by the Independence Bowl ceiling this season or even going forward. The P5 is going to calcify after adding two or three more teams. I'm even dubious about UTSA's moving "up" to the AAC or MWC. The cost just doesn't seem worth it.
    The college football system will forever irk me. I mean, what other sport rewards you for winning 75+% of your regular season games by going to a neutral location for a meaningless exhibition game against a team you don't care about? Awesomeness.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    yeah, UCF is exactly who I compare them too. what UTSA needs now is a more engaged alumni base, and especially some with deep pockets. i also think it's be in their best interest to build a stadium on campus. and it will help coach traylor if he can get some recruits from the DFW and Houston markets as well. that would indeed take UTSA to the next level.
    Is the next level just a treadmill of spending?

I don't think there's room on campus for a football stadium and anything built is just going to be an aluminum bench, thigh-burning nightmare. Filling up the lower bowl in the Alamodome seems a lot more attractive to the casual fan. A 7-8000 seat basketball area is a much more pressing need for the campus

The college football system will forever irk me. I mean, what other sport rewards you for winning 75+% of your regular season games by going to a neutral location for a meaningless exhibition game against a team you don't care about? Awesomeness.
    At the core, big money college sports are an abomination. It's incredible what a school like Rutgers went through and spent to achieve punching-bag status in the P5, and they'll be paying for decades to come.

Post Count
    Building a new stadium when you have the Alamodome would be a bad waste of money. The Alamodome will continue to benefit from public money and UTSA still has a large commuter school element (not to mention a large downtown campus), so the Alamodome is something they should take advantage of.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    UTSA has been out recruiting UTEP basically for like the past decade. Seriously, UTEP always gets mostly kids with no other FBS offers. They're practically in New Mexico and noone wants to play out there. Makes their season so far that much more impressive but it's also why I'm still not sold on them. That La Tech win was surprising though, tbf.

UTSA also already hits DFW and Houston plenty. They're not getting many high end guys that go P5, but they're very compe ive when it comes to G5 recruits. The talent has been on the roster to be a G5 power. Just have to keep it going and not let it be just a one year wonder.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Is the next level just a treadmill of spending?

I don't think there's room on campus for a football stadium and anything built is just going to be an aluminum bench, thigh-burning nightmare. Filling up the lower bowl in the Alamodome seems a lot more attractive to the casual fan. A 7-8000 seat basketball area is a much more pressing need for the campus

At the core, big money college sports are an abomination. It's incredible what a school like Rutgers went through and spent to achieve punching-bag status in the P5, and they'll be paying for decades to come.
    per the UTSA master plan, they could have the room. the plan calls for construction of 35,000 capacity stadium at University Park West adjacent to 1604 but this depends upon the acquisition of ten acres of property in this area. a 10,000 seat convocation center is also a part of this plan.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    charlie strong is the reason jeff traylor is in cfb.......traylor would still be at gilmer if it wasnt for chuck recruiting kris boyd...........chuck failed at texas but he produced the hottest college football head coaching prospect in decades..............

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    per the UTSA master plan, they could have the room. the plan calls for construction of 35,000 capacity stadium at University Park West adjacent to 1604 but this depends upon the acquisition of ten acres of property in this area. a 10,000 seat convocation center is also a part of this plan.
    I don't see any mention of a football stadium in the 2019 update.

I guess they can work on getting the land in the meantime, but there isn't a really compelling reason to spend another $80 million to bake fans the first half of the season while the dome is still there. Stuffing all the athletic buildings they can on the main campus might have opened enough room at Park West now anyway.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I don't see any mention of a football stadium in the 2019 update.

I guess they can work on getting the land in the meantime, but there isn't a really compelling reason to spend another $80 million to bake fans the first half of the season while the dome is still there. Stuffing all the athletic buildings they can on the main campus might have opened enough room at Park West now anyway.
    the 2019 plan just mentions a vague "future athletic site" next to the convocation center. of the two, the latter should be the priority.

Thread Information