Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    But see that wasn't the case before. Bowls becoming an exhibition was the byproduct of bad decisions.

The portal made recruiting obsolete. If you fail to sign that recruit then find a transfer. And if you successfully signed a top recruit, enjoy losing him this offseason.

They should have left the sport alone and now it has truly become nothing more than a business. From the top to bottom. No allegiance but to the $$$.

The Playoff, the portal, NIL and now superleagues. RIP CFB.
    Huh? Bowl games have always been just exhibition games.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Bottomline: since they are now both en led rich assholes. I rather save my TV viewing for only Sunday...
    In a weird way, the uneven playing field in college football between teams makes the upset way more delicious.

There are also a lot more different fun offenses to watch in college football vs the pros, imo

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I am guessing he is thinking of the BCS? There are way too many bowls now tbh

Post Count
    Which conference is more likely to loot the other? Pac-12 or Big-12.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Good question. I can't understand why the big ten stopped at just USC and UCLA tho. Maybe they aren't done and a few more go.

And now with those two gone, why would any big 12 want to move west? I can't see Tech leaving at this point. I can see the Arizona schools and maybe Colorado joining up.

Maybe the PAC just adds Boise and San Diego St and that's that.

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    It's all relative. Today guys sit out regular season games. In the past winning a marquee bowl game meant your program would be ranked higher in the preseason polls. Building a foundation that would be passed onto the next Class was treasured.

The 2000s was the heyday. Each region had a powerhouse and trash talk was immense. There was Conference pride which centered on the specific regions. AND each region played its own style which was dependent on what skillet the region was rich in.

Those days had so much more depth compared to today's simplistic approach. They should just go all the way and have a CFB draft and Pro Bowl

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    Pac10 says they will try to expand first

B1G is waiting on Notre Dame before they add another school.

ACC should probably go full basketball and try adding some of the strong Bball teams from the Big12.

So I think Pac10 has a better chance of surviving.

Current issue: you have Conferences being poached while the Big10 and SEC still contain some crappy CFB programs. So we are still stuck in a transition.

And the big point in all this is TV markets. ESPN (SEC) snagged Texas and OU and now Fox (B1G) countered with SC and UCLA

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Pac10 says they will try to expand first

B1G is waiting on Notre Dame before they add another school.

ACC should probably go full basketball and try adding some of the strong Bball teams from the Big12.

So I think Pac10 has a better chance of surviving.

Current issue: you have Conferences being poached while the Big10 and SEC still contain some crappy CFB programs. So we are still stuck in a transition.

And the big point in all this is TV markets. ESPN (SEC) snagged Texas and OU and now Fox (B1G) countered with SC and UCLA
    Could definitely see Kansas leaving for the acc or big ten

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    Could definitely see Kansas leaving for the acc or big ten
    Red Raiders should also join ACC and roundball

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Red Raiders should also join ACC and roundball
    ACC doesn't want Tech but nice thought

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    I remember in the 90s the Big10 and SEC were run over

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    Networks > pure talent

FSU & Miami still smoke you

My Team
    Baylor Bears
    Post Count
    The Big 12 just got a new commissioner who is known for being innovative and aggressive. I assume they'll work aggressively to add at least two schools from the PAC (Arizona and Utah?) to further destabilize the conference. It's what the PAC should've done months back to kill the Big 12. Don't think the Big 12 will make the same mistake.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    If Oregon and Washington don't get an invite to the big ten, then the best thing that could happen for both conferences would be to do what the Big 8 and SWC conference did:

Dissolve both, form a new one together and take the best 16 schools.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Next best thing would be for the big 12 to grab Arizona, Utah and Colorado but it wouldn't move the TV contract needle much.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Really? Combined with the NIL circus, this is just a NFL developmental league now. Gone is the rivalries, the pageantry and history. No wonder student attendance to games is down. At that point why not watch the USFL instead of 18-22 year olds that are glorified paid professionals.
    i tend to agree. while i was on board for players getting financially compensated, an unfettered NIL is going to wreak havoc on even those teams that manage to survive this mass migration to the super conferences. programs like UTSA will have to figure out how to stay relevant in an increasingly semi-pro college football world. it's just becoming all too corporate.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count

6 is new. I thought it was 4.

If the big 12 can get 6 that's the ticket for the them.

Too bad they can't figure a way to merge. Would love to see Stanford get in too.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    i tend to agree. while i was on board for players getting financially compensated, an unfettered NIL is going to wreak havoc on even those teams that manage to survive this mass migration to the super conferences. programs like UTSA will have to figure out how to stay relevant in an increasingly semi-pro college football world. it's just becoming all too corporate.
    Just wild free agency like MLB where the Yankees are a power house nearly every year

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Weird that Stanford has more tv value too according to reports I've seen.

I'm betting if ND somehow agrees to join big ten, then Stanford is next.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Just wild free agency like MLB where the Yankees are a power house nearly every year
    It has been 13 years since they won a Series. For some reason I thought it hadn't been that long.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    It has been 13 years since they won a Series. For some reason I thought it hadn't been that long.
    I wouldn't have guessed 13 either

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Each remaining Pac-12 team’s desirability rating according to Sports Illustrated

https://sports.yahoo.com/remaining-p...153047662.html

Post Count
    Each remaining Pac-12 team’s desirability rating according to Sports Illustrated

https://sports.yahoo.com/remaining-p...153047662.html
    IMO, Oregon is the most desirable of the teams there -- ahead of Washington but just barely. I'm curious how big the Big XII would be willing to go if all those Pac-12 teams were willing to join, hypothetically at least.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    IMO, Oregon is the most desirable of the teams there -- ahead of Washington but just barely. I'm curious how big the Big XII would be willing to go if all those Pac-12 teams were willing to join, hypothetically at least.
    I think the biggest obvious factor is tv market.

Thread Information