Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game has been a good reality check about our current players...we had all of our supposed best players available.
    This simply means that actually we're not that good and also if we play our veterans we're not good enough to win at home against a team that just destroyed us, and used in this second game just a lot of green people with only 1 "star".
    We could say that after what's happened at the trade deadline this was the second reality check...the first being about our actual F.O.

I'm actually glad that LMA is finally gone. Not a bad boy at all, but imho he's been the main reason of our fall...simply because he selfishly questioned the integrity of our core.
    That's been the worst mistake made from the F.O.....considering him the leader after Tim and so passing from a team's first mentality to a selfish player's mentality. N° 2 (and his uncle) took note and behaved (in a horrible way) accordingly...

Pop alone is not enough to put all the players in line, he needs his best players to show by example...the only good thing we had since Tim, Manu and Parker is evening the record for playoffs appareances...but apart of that the game we played and the perspective to be a contender declined by the day just after the first LMA trade request (incredible as it sounds that a player that never won anything makes such a demand after the best record joined by his new franchise).

Al that said, what are we gonna do now? is there any possible explanation about the choices we're making these days? (I mean, playing the veterans also if we're losing, buy out players with some potential trade value, suffering players trade requests like Lyles one, making no trade, aquiring non playing players just to save owners money)?

The only explanation is that:

1) we realized long ago we're not that good anymore as a team and we, at the moment, have no power in convincing veteran star players to buy on our team first mentality (tha's the only mentality that can make us, as happened in past, a winning franchise);
    2) nontheless we want to mantain a "we want to win, no tanking at all" mentality for the good growing of our young players;
    3) playing veterans gives you a sort of stability in losing enough to be back in the lottery and guarantee in any case a decent draft position and at the same time preserves the young guys from injuries letting them learn the game and playbook step by step;
    4) going on this way will probably let our veterans realize what's their real market value and then next year they will be probably more inclined to leave (DDR, Lyles), retire (Gay) or to re-sign making some money request in line with their actual value (maybe DDR, Mills, Gay);
    5) we don't have to forget that as of now we still have for next season already 9 (potentially eleven) players under contract and all of them re young ones...White, Vassell, KJ, DJ, Samanic, Tre Jones, Walker, Poeltl, Eubanks being the 9, Q and KBD being 10 and 11 (if they grow from 2 way contracts).
    Our draft picks will probably be 12 and 13...this means just 3/4 spots available with a ton of money to use.

Ultimate goals: just try to get back in full control choosing only young minds with team first mentality. No waste money on players not deserving it. No more divas behaviors or requests allowed. Spare money at the best for this seson (already achieved...). Explore the next trade market just as sellers of sign and trade deals...that' our only remaining market card after being immobile at this trade deadline...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs are on the right track...to the lottery. That's where they need to be for the next two years. Play your young players and decide which ones you want to keep and which you want to trade, but there is no player on this roster that is good enough to lead to a le. None of the players will get to that level. We need to draft someone special, like Tim or David. It's possible those guys are in the next two drafts and the Spurs need to get lucky or amass enough talent to trade for an unhappy all-star should the possibility present itself.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which kind of mentality?
    I personally hate the concept of tanking, Miami never tanked, they lost Lebron for free. Situation comparable to ours. Look at them now.

But they have a competent front office.
    They had a star player choose to sign with them...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs are on the right track...to the lottery. That's where they need to be for the next two years. Play your young players and decide which ones you want to keep and which you want to trade, but there is no player on this roster that is good enough to lead to a le. None of the players will get to that level. We need to draft someone special, like Tim or David. It's possible those guys are in the next two drafts and the Spurs need to get lucky or amass enough talent to trade for an unhappy all-star should the possibility present itself.
    Most ST'ers really don't understand this or accept it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most ST'ers really don't understand this or accept it.

Yep. Only way to know what the team has for the future is to play the young guys and see their potential. Playing rudy gay and patty mills the minutes they're playing, while luka struggles to see the court, and vassell fluctuates in minutes isn't helping.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of a game with Houston and Orlando, looking at the Spurs schedule, they can really make a move...to the lottery. Lot's of loseable games. Here's to Sacramento. You have been a lousy team perennially in the lottery. It's time for you to beat the Spurs a few times in the next two months so they can have you spot in the lottery and see if they have better luck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of a game with Houston and Orlando, looking at the Spurs schedule, they can really make a move...to the lottery. Lot's of loseable games. Here's to Sacramento. You have been a lousy team perennially in the lottery. It's time for you to beat the Spurs a few times in the next two months so they can have you spot in the lottery and see if they have better luck.
    Yup. Agree and onboard with this

Thread Information