My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same regurgitated nonsense

Kobe would score 50 every game
    Steph is nothing
    Giannis wont surive the 90s

Etc

I’d like to know why the NBA is the only sport in the world where fans cant accept the fact that players have naturally evolved to become better shooters, athletes, better Schemes etcs.

It seems universally accepted that there is a level of skill inporvement over the years in most if not all of sports

Except basketball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Steph is nothing

Etc

I’d like to know why the NBA is the only sport in the world where fans cant accept the fact that players have naturally evolved to become better shooters, athletes, better Schemes etcs.

It seems universally accepted that there is a level of skill inporvement over the years in most if not all of sports

Except basketball.
    he would have the same success in the 90's that he's having right now.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    The NFL also experienced massive rule changes. But the path to the Pros has remained the same. Little changes to the foundation.

NBA went from hardened urban street ballers forced to attend 2,3 years of College to today AAU kids that go straight to the pros.

I also think social media has had an immense mental effect on the NBA. 90s streetballers probably would have fallen even more victim to this but it didn't exist.

Ultimately I think fans prefer angry urban players over butt buddies from suburbia.

The International influx of players is a major and arguably only positive. Otherwise it is an entire Pro League filled by 13% of the population.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

Steph is nothing

Etc

Except basketball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NFL also experienced massive rule changes. But the path to the Pros has remained the same. Little changes to the foundation.

NBA went from hardened urban street ballers forced to attend 2,3 years of College to today AAU kids that go straight to the pros.

I also think social media has had an immense mental effect on the NBA. 90s streetballers probably would have fallen even more victim to this but it didn't exist.

Ultimately I think fans prefer angry urban players over butt buddies from suburbia.

The International influx of players is a major and arguably only positive. Otherwise it is an entire Pro League filled by 13% of the population.
    Do you feel todays White Euro's are better than 90's white American players like Majerle, Mark Price,Gugliotta,Tom Chambers or do you feel there are equal in value?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Do you feel todays White Euro's are better than 90's white American players like Majerle, Mark Price,Gugliotta,Tom Chambers or do you feel there are equal in value?
    That is a great question. I'll have to think it over. What do you feel?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is a great question. I'll have to think it over. What do you feel?
    It's hard for me to say. For example I think Mark Price would be better than Goran Dragic in today's league. Gugliotta would be about the same as Kevin Love. It gets tricky for me with Majerle, Chambers only because they could be potentially better under the current rule changes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Majerle was so overrated

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard for me to say. For example I think Mark Price would be better than Goran Dragic in today's league. Gugliotta would be about the same as Kevin Love. It gets tricky for me with Majerle, Chambers only because they could be potentially better under the current rule changes.
    Price’s game would be great fit for today’s game, same goes for Bird
    Shooting, passing, bbiq

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What today’s NBA is lacking is real rivalries; those rivalries lead to great arena atmosphere; heck even during in the regular seaon there was a buzz prior to 2 rivals playing each other.

With AAU basketball the beat US players know each orher since they were kids so they naturally develop a friendship early on.

Back in the days, they didn’t get to be friends until towards the ens of their careers

Magic, Isiah and Aguirre go waiy back but still the competed hard against each other
    Last edited by lefty; 09-04-2020 at 08:42 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean are they really more skilled? I know 90s ball was a mess offensively but that was really only in the Eastern Conference. The West has great offenses. but to me the cream of the crop of the 90s would destroy the cream of the crop of today (excluding Lebron). I mean I like Giannis but to me he is a worse version of David Robinson. Hakeem would dominate. Charles Barkley would devastate anybody guarding him. Pippen?

I also agree that guys today are better athletes but once again the cream of the crop is very comparable. Barkley was a of an athlete. There’s literally been nobody in the history of the game more athletic than David Robinson. Kevin Johnson was a great athlete. Kemp? To me if you ranked the top 5 athletes in the NBA, the 90s would have an equal share
    1. Robinson
    2. Lebron
    3. Westbrook
    4. Kemp/Griffin
    5. Jordan

As far as skills go I think again they are even. I mean people make fun of Oakley and Rodman bc they were thugs who couldn’t shoot but wtf is Poetl for the Spurs? Dude couldn’t post up guards and score 6 feet from the basket. Players today are much better 3 point shooters, no doubt, but they don’t know how to post. They don’t know how to cut. They don’t know how to run any type of offense besides pick n roll. That’s literally the only play called all game. They stand in the exact same spot all game long.

I live in Houston, have you ever seen them play? Harden brings up the ball. Gordon is on the wing, not moving. Tucker in the corner not moving Cov on the other corner not moving and Westbrook just kinda watching and waiting for it to be his turn to bring the ball up court. That’s better offense? That’s better skill? To me that’s the definition of no talent offense. You guys suck so much that the only thing you are able to do is stand in this one spot all game long

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    They are better shooters today -- that's it.

With the rule changes and this overall PC culture, they are much softer than before. And that has also led to the lack of rivalries that lefty mentioned. Now they all want to run from the grind as Dame-Dolla so eloquently mentioned and team up with buddies. Even guys like Durant who once criticized Lebron for going to Miami, eventually do the same when the going gets tough. No heart.

Things in life often go full circle. So maybe times will change and the game will toughen up again. Would be great if that happened.

I mean are they really more skilled? I know 90s ball was a mess offensively but that was really only in the Eastern Conference. The West has great offenses. but to me the cream of the crop of the 90s would destroy the cream of the crop of today (excluding Lebron). I mean I like Giannis but to me he is a worse version of David Robinson. Hakeem would dominate. Charles Barkley would devastate anybody guarding him. Pippen?

I also agree that guys today are better athletes but once again the cream of the crop is very comparable. Barkley was a of an athlete. There’s literally been nobody in the history of the game more athletic than David Robinson. Kevin Johnson was a great athlete. Kemp? To me if you ranked the top 5 athletes in the NBA, the 90s would have an equal share
    1. Robinson
    2. Lebron
    3. Westbrook
    4. Kemp/Griffin
    5. Jordan

As far as skills go I think again they are even. I mean people make fun of Oakley and Rodman bc they were thugs who couldn’t shoot but wtf is Poetl for the Spurs? Dude couldn’t post up guards and score 6 feet from the basket. Players today are much better 3 point shooters, no doubt, but they don’t know how to post. They don’t know how to cut. They don’t know how to run any type of offense besides pick n roll. That’s literally the only play called all game. They stand in the exact same spot all game long.

I live in Houston, have you ever seen them play? Harden brings up the ball. Gordon is on the wing, not moving. Tucker in the corner not moving Cov on the other corner not moving and Westbrook just kinda watching and waiting for it to be his turn to bring the ball up court. That’s better offense? That’s better skill? To me that’s the definition of no talent offense. You guys suck so much that the only thing you are able to do is stand in this one spot all game long

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Robinson
    2. Lebron
    3. Westbrook
    4. Kemp/Griffin
    5. Jordan

This x 100000

Ball handling and 3 point shooting are better then ever, but post play, mid range shooting, and off ball play are gone. The game, and its star players, are less well rounded today, imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Robinson
    2. Lebron
    3. Westbrook
    4. Kemp/Griffin
    5. Jordan

tbh there’s not much posting up this due to zone D
    But guys like Jokic can post up

Also, Houston is a terrible exemple
    GSW have a beautiful offense

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP is sh**. Par.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Back in the early-to-mid 2010s, I would have been laughing at the nostalgia-obsessed boomers too. But the league actually is getting worse now. It's devolved into a level of chucking and flopping that's every bit as unwatchable as '90s basketball at its worst.

How can anyone think this is a good product?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are better shooters today -- that's it.

With the rule changes and this overall PC culture, they are much softer than before. And that has also led to the lack of rivalries that lefty mentioned. Now they all want to run from the grind as Dame-Dolla so eloquently mentioned and team up with buddies. Even guys like Durant who once criticized Lebron for going to Miami, eventually do the same when the going gets tough. No heart.

Things in life often go full circle. So maybe times will change and the game will toughen up again. Would be great if that happened.
    To be fair, teaming up was a thing back in the days
    It didn’t happen as much , but it happened.
    The CBA/rules made it less possible, it it was more flexible they would have done it like they do it today

Magic said he would have played 1 more NCAA season if the Bulls drafted him instead of L.A
    He admitted he wanted to play with the Lakers and specifically Kareem

Moses Malone signed as a free agent with the Sixers in 1982, as the defending 2 time MVP.
    Malone was a top center who couldn’t win in Houston because the team wasn’t good enough, and the 76ers were the eternal contenders but couldn’t get over the hump.
    Sounds like teaming up to me.

Shaq wanted to play with Penny after playing with him on the set of blue chips, so he pressured the Magic FO to trade for him on draft day : “Get it done”

The Pistons traded Dantley for Isiah’s friend, Aguirre
    Pretty sure Isiah was behind the trade, even though he denies it

Tmac and Grant Hill teamed up in Orlando

Of course nothing is weaker than KD joining GSW

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You left out Kobe who would have played in China before he played with the Charlotte Hornets

You just saw less of it because of the CBA, as you say, and because rivilaries were more intense then.

To be fair, teaming up was a thing back in the days
    It didn’t happen as much , but it happened.
    The CBA/rules made it less possible, it it was more flexible they would have done it like they do it today

Magic said he would have played 1 more NCAA season if the Bulls drafted him instead of L.A
    He admitted he wanted to play with the Lakers and specifically Kareem

Moses Malone signed as a free agent with the Sixers in 1982, as the defending 2 time MVP.
    Malone was a top center who couldn’t win in Houston because the team wasn’t good enough, and the 76ers were the eternal contenders but couldn’t get over the hump.
    Sounds like teaming up to me.

Shaq wanted to play with Penny after playing with him on the set of blue chips, so he pressured the Magic FO to trade for him on draft day : “Get it done”

The Pistons traded Dantley for Isiah’s friend, Aguirre
    Pretty sure Isiah was behind the trade, even though he denies it

Tmac and Grant Hill teamed up in Orlando

Of course nothing is weaker than KD joining GSW

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I wish they would move the three point line to near half court

Basketball is such a one trick pony now.

Back in the early-to-mid 2010s, I would have been laughing at the nostalgia-obsessed boomers too. But the league actually is getting worse now. It's devolved into a level of chucking and flopping that's every bit as unwatchable as '90s basketball at its worst.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You left out Kobe who would have played in China before he played with the Charlotte Hornets

You just saw less of it because of the CBA, as you say, and because rivilaries were more intense then.
    Damn I totally forgot about the Kobe trade

Watch those highlights son, playoff rivalry at its best :

https://youtu.be/XbNXHJcxbjc

Everybody talks about Lakers vs Celtics, but Sixers vs Celtics was more intense

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    This x 100000

Ball handling and 3 point shooting are better then ever, but post play, mid range shooting, and off ball play are gone. The game, and its star players, are less well rounded today, imo
    tbh this is a major exaggeration, as there are plenty of good post players, mid range shooters, and off-ball players, and that is literally what has separated the very good teams from the champions of the past decade. plenty of teams have been built with comparable or even superior talent and rosters to championship teams like San Antonio, Miami, Golden State (before KD), Cleveland, and Toronto. but all those teams were able to combine elite 3-point shooting with good off-ball play, mid range shooting and post play better than other teams.

regardless, what difference does it make if there is less post play and mid range shooting, if they simply aren't as important or effective as they used to be? why would shaq need the footwork of olajuwon, if hes capable of being more effective than him with less moves? kobe clearly had more moves than mike, but does that make him a more effective post scorer than mike was? absolutely not, because mike didnt need all those extra, unnecessary moves.

i personally am in agreement that there is less post play and mid range shooting. thats obvious. but i also agree that the skill levels today are higher than they used to be, however not because every player knows how to do all kinds of skills. its just the skills they are good at, outweigh most other skills. lets not kid ourselves, its far more effective to have a team of 5 elite 3-point shooters with good ball handling skills who ignore the midrange game, than it would be to have 5 elite midrange shooters who like bully ball but struggle at shooting 3s and dribbling. it might not be what everyone enjoys watching, but its easily a more effective strategy. if no one is a threat from 3, and do all their work in the midrange and bullying in the paint, the defense can just pack the paint and provide help all over the place. but when you have 5 guys spaced out, all it takes is one misstep by a defender and the offensive player either has a wide open layup, or the help comes and its a kickout for a wide open 3, or a baseline dive for an easy layup/dunk.

the strategy may involve a lesser assortment of skills, but its pretty much indefensible. anyone who plays basketball in any kind of compe ive setting knows how much more difficult and frustrating it is to defend teams like that. so its pretty obvious why its become such a common strategy in the NBA. and the teams that win championships in the NBA are ones who combine that, with some effective post play, mid range shooting, and off ball play. just because there are a few teams like houston that build and play the way they do, doesnt mean the entire league plays that way, and not a single team wins championships that way. thats what people who are still living in the 90s fail to see. they look at a team like houston, and think the whole league plays like they do. simply not true.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Robinson
    2. Lebron
    3. Westbrook
    4. Kemp/Griffin
    5. Jordan

I would add Charlotte Hornets Larry Johnson on your list for athletes. He was a more in shape Zion with even better hops. Pippen was also super athletic. He had like a 40 inch vertical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would add Charlotte Hornets Larry Johnson on your list for athletes. He was a more in shape Zion with even better hops. Pippen was also super athletic. He had like a 40 inch vertical.
    Wilkins
    VC

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think they found a good medium between the late 90s to mid 00s, but no one was watching sadly.

Thread Information