Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some of ya'll are completely missing the point. Toronto is on an 11-2 run. They are not planning to trade any key players, period. They want to get JP to bolster the team because they believe their own hype and think they have a chance to make a run. I'm dying here laughing at those of you thinking they trade OG. Why in the world would they trade him while trying to make a championship run?! They aren't interested in JP's long term contract and impact with the future of the team, THEY ARE IN WIN NOW MODE. The only thing we get from this hypothetical deal is salary filler to keep them out of the luxury tax and draft picks. But this is ST, so even after I write this, enter 50 more post saying

"I'd only trade OG for him"

I would trade him for the draft picks easily, especially if we could get one in the future because their team isn't built to last. Then if we could flip Thad for another first we might be able to package the 3 future first (Bulls, Raptors, & Thad) to move up without losing one of our own. Primo looks good. Potentially a future all-star good (if you squint and put on your SA glasses)and being able to move up and get him a potential all-star running mate is worth almost anyone on the roster right now.
    YOU’RE missing the point. THEY need. WE have. That’s called a position of strength. They have 3 long PF/SFs, and no center. Spurs aren’t just going to Trade Jak unless they get something they want, and that’s not Birch, and it’s not Boucher.

It’s their turn over the barrel. We don’t have to do a deal, but they really do if they want to make a playoff run. They need a center. They’re familiar with Jak.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Matt Bonner and Eric Williams?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why in the do you all want a first that'll probably end up in the low 20s for Poeltl? Spurs would have to get pretty lucky to replace his contribution with a pick in that range.
    We can replace Jak, likely with an upgrade in free agency in the coming years or will have to pay him 15mm or so when he becomes a free agent next off-season. If we looked to be in playoff contention the next few years I wouldn’t do it. In our current rebuilding state another FRP is worth more to me than Jak is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s funny how ST people think Poeltl is irreplaceable. Surely people have seen him getting dunk on time and again is embarrassing. I can name 3 better bigs than him, and they all played for the Cavs last night.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    YOU’RE missing the point. THEY need. WE have. That’s called a position of strength. They have 3 long PF/SFs, and no center. Spurs aren’t just going to Trade Jak unless they get something they want, and that’s not Birch, and it’s not Boucher.

It’s their turn over the barrel. We don’t have to do a deal, but they really do if they want to make a playoff run. They need a center. They’re familiar with Jak.
    but we aint the only team that HAVE a center they NEED. Whats more we have 3 centers but no long PF/SF. So this position of strength doesn't exist in this scenerio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why in the do you all want a first that'll probably end up in the low 20s for Poeltl? Spurs would have to get pretty lucky to replace his contribution with a pick in that range.
    Have you seen Toronto's record? That's not going to be a pick anywhere lower than 22 or so. They're in the lottery right now. What the Spurs should get back from the Raptors depends on what ballast they have to take back. If it's Jakob and Forbes for Dragic, then a first even in the 20's could be good value. If it's Birch, then it's a bigger deal, because his contract is fully guaranteed for some reason. Getting a first and cap space to take back another contract next summer is valuable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see them offering Dragic and a heavily protected FRP for Jak

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you seen Toronto's record? That's not going to be a pick anywhere lower than 22 or so. They're in the lottery right now. What the Spurs should get back from the Raptors depends on what ballast they have to take back. If it's Jakob and Forbes for Dragic, then a first even in the 20's could be good value. If it's Birch, then it's a bigger deal, because his contract is fully guaranteed for some reason. Getting a first and cap space to take back another contract next summer is valuable.
    Another pick in the 16-22 range isn't going to change anything for us. Especially not in this upcoming draft.

We rarely have a team at full strength. We're probably one really good player and one glue player away from making the playoffs. Now I'm not opposed to moving Jak but if we get a solid draft pick all on our own I'd prefer to keep Jak because he's already a solid center who plays defense. We're not going to get anything near his level of play at 16-22. Probably not even at 10-16.

There just no value in moving our assets if all its going to return is a pick that's going to land us a less impactful player on a project timeline.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry I saw them listed as picking #17 at nbadraft.net and didn't double check. Is their pick even their own though? Because SI.com has them picking #19 in their mock draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you believe that they're going to trade a key player to fill a need a center you're delusional. They would literally be trading one set of complications for another. Contenders (and whether they are or aren't a contender is neither here nor there, it's the fact that they believe they are that matters) don't trade one of their best players on a championship push in order to fill a position of weakness. They trade draft assets and young talent that hasn't cracked the rotation yet. Believe it or not Jak isn't the only center in the league. Is he their preferred option, if course. But if you legit believe they give up OG for him I just have no words for that level of wishful thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another pick in the 16-22 range isn't going to change anything for us. Especially not in this upcoming draft.

We rarely have a team at full strength. We're probably one really good player and one glue player away from making the playoffs. Now I'm not opposed to moving Jak but if we get a solid draft pick all on our own I'd prefer to keep Jak because he's already a solid center who plays defense. We're not going to get anything near his level of play at 16-22. Probably not even at 10-16.

There just no value in moving our assets if all its going to return is a pick that's going to land us a less impactful player on a project timeline.
    I like what Jak brings to the table but when his contract is up he has earned a bigger pay day. I don’t see this about the pick itself, rather I’m confident we can use what is shaping up to be years of 20-30mm in free cap space to upgrade at the 5 and get a FRP for Jak in the short term.

We are nowhere near win now mode. This is a rebuild. Jak doesn’t fit the timeline for many reasons.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team is not one player from being a playoff team we are terrible and we really need to tank the remaining year and also the following year. The Spurs should be taking and making call to do trades for most of their players but only if we get something that is going to help us long term not short term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you believe that they're going to trade a key player to fill a need a center you're delusional. They would literally be trading one set of complications for another. Contenders (and whether they are or aren't a contender is neither here nor there, it's the fact that they believe they are that matters) don't trade one of their best players on a championship push in order to fill a position of weakness. They trade draft assets and young talent that hasn't cracked the rotation yet. Believe it or not Jak isn't the only center in the league. Is he their preferred option, if course. But if you legit believe they give up OG for him I just have no words for that level of wishful thought.
    They’re not on a championship push, and in fact currently hold the 14th and final puck in the lottery. I’m not saying they’re GOING to trade OG, I’m simply saying if they say no, you hang up. No trade. Pretty simple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like what Jak brings to the table but when his contract is up he has earned a bigger pay day. I don’t see this about the pick itself, rather I’m confident we can use what is shaping up to be years of 20-30mm in free cap space to upgrade at the 5 and get a FRP for Jak in the short term.

We are nowhere near win now mode. This is a rebuild. Jak doesn’t fit the timeline for many reasons.
    Jak was drafted at the same time as Dejounte. DJ is 25. Jak is 26. white is 27. He is literally right in the middle of our timeline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jak was drafted at the same time as Dejounte. DJ is 25. Jak is 26. white is 27. He is literally right in the middle of our timeline.
    He is replaceable and not a long term piece in my opinion, rather a win now guy on a great contract. It’s not just about age when it comes to timelines.

DJ is tough to replace.

White / Jak not so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So just give him away then?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a bad argument though. I'm not sure Jakob would even start on Toronto. Poeltl's value is overstated by some stats. Rather than being a great value, I'd say he's relatively easy to 80/20
    There are two things going on though and they’re getting confused here: Toronto’s interest in acquiring him and Spurs interest in moving him. Right now we only of the first. I suspect that if the spurs are willing to part with him, there would be multiple teams interested including the Warriors who view the Looney spot as their biggest vulnerability. So why entertain a meh TOR’s offer at this point as opposed to insist on something better?

As I said earlier, perhaps the best thing that can comes from this credible rumor is that is spurs other teams to inquire too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re not on a championship push, and in fact currently hold the 14th and final puck in the lottery. I’m not saying they’re GOING to trade OG, I’m simply saying if they say no, you hang up. No trade. Pretty simple.
    I don't disagree on principle, but they're on an 11-2 run and probably feel that they're a strong center away from getting a push to grab a higher seed and maybe get out of the play-in games. They won't trade OG as long as they have that delusion but if we could get a first out of it I think we should take it.

Jock is looking strong, Zollins is almost ready to come back, we may get Jalen Smith in a Young trade so we could have some intriguing bigs. Plus we aren't winning this year so we might as well add try and get assets, especially before JP starts looking for that big payday that we won't give him and he leaves for nothing.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we could get boucher and a first I would do it without even thinking. I would try and get 2 first out of it but dont think they would go for it. Boucher is underrated. He is a little older but is a good 4. If we got smith (or another C) in the off season that would give us a young center and replace jock. Hoefully we a bad enough to get a young good 4 to replace boucher. that would give us a SL of murray, white/primo, KJ/Vassel boucher/frp, Smith/ other center. this would give us a solid team for next year and years to come.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Be serious men. Forget OG. Please.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree on principle, but they're on an 11-2 run and probably feel that they're a strong center away from getting a push to grab a higher seed and maybe get out of the play-in games. They won't trade OG as long as they have that delusion but if we could get a first out of it I think we should take it.

Jock is looking strong, Zollins is almost ready to come back, we may get Jalen Smith in a Young trade so we could have some intriguing bigs. Plus we aren't winning this year so we might as well add try and get assets, especially before JP starts looking for that big payday that we won't give him and he leaves for nothing.
    Why would the Spurs not pay to keep him? You want to depend on broken down Zollins who has never shown anything since coming into the league in 2017?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Be serious men. Forget OG. Please.
    Forget trading Poeltl for a pick and a bag of crap when it's not even likely to be a lottery pick if this trade plugs the biggest hole in their roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry I saw them listed as picking #17 at nbadraft.net and didn't double check. Is their pick even their own though? Because SI.com has them picking #19 in their mock draft.
    Tankathon basically changes the draft order in real time. Mocks only come out periodically. The Raptors have lost their last two games, which dropped them down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine the field day Spurstalk would have if we did trade him. “We can’t win without him! I mean yeah we aren’t winning with him but we would be a bottom team in the league if we lose him!” Casually ignore we are picking 7th btw

Also Jak really helping that value with his recent play

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can’t handle this losing guys, I’m gonna break lol I wish the spurs would make their mark somehow if we’re gonna trade guys for picks do it, if we’re gonna try to get better then do it!!

Thread Information