Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    REPUBLICAN John Kasich is getting more time to speak at the DEMOCRATIC national Convention than @AOC. That is all.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Publicity stunt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    shes a great woman

She will do well

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Kasich is getting a full speech, AOC is getting a minute.

Republicans: tHe dEmOCraTs hAvE bEEn hiJaCkEd bY tHe rAdiCaL LeFt!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Kasich is getting a full speech, AOC is getting a minute.

Republicans: tHe dEmOCraTs hAvE bEEn hiJaCkEd bY tHe rAdiCaL LeFt!!
    Not mutually exclusive. You already know this.

It's not just the GOP that says the dems have been hijacked by the radical left.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...s-left/573946/

But who wins an election is often less important than who sets the agenda. And ideologically, the Democratic Party has veered so sharply that “establishment” or “centrist” Democrats now frequently support larger expansions of government, and more vehemently scorn Big Business and Big Finance, than most liberal Democrats did a few years ago. In 2016, Hillary Clinton said a single-payer health-care system “will never, ever come to pass.” In 2017, West Virginia’s Joe Manchin, by some measures the most conservative Democrat in the Senate, said the idea “should be explored.” During the 2013–14 election cycle, Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey received more money from Wall Street than any other member of Congress. This February, he announced that he would no longer accept donations from corporate political-action committees.

For the first time in more than 40 years, the left is shaping the Democratic Party’s iden y. At a time when the terms liberal, progressive, and leftist are often used interchangeably, it’s worth clarifying what these terms mean. In America, what distinguishes leftists from liberals and progressives—as well as conservatives—is their commitment to radical equality. Leftists are more likely than liberals to argue that economic inequality renders America’s cons utional liberties hollow. They’re more likely to look abroad—to the Soviet Union or Cuba in past eras, and to Scandinavia today—for alternatives to America’s political and economic models. They’re more skeptical of credentialed experts who define the limits of acceptable change. And, perhaps most important, they’re more willing to challenge entrenched norms of fair play to forge a more equal country.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    During the 2013–14 election cycle, Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey received more money from Wall Street than any other member of Congress. This February, he announced that he would no longer accept donations from corporate political-action committees..
    is this supposed to be a criticism? That Democrats who used to take money from Wall Street will no longer do so in order to limit the influence of special interests?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's not just the GOP that says the dems have been hijacked by the radical left.

But who wins an election is often less important than who sets the agenda. And ideologically, the Democratic Party has veered so sharply that “establishment” or “centrist” Democrats now frequently support larger expansions of government, and more vehemently scorn Big Business and Big Finance, than most liberal Democrats did a few years ago. In 2016, Hillary Clinton said a single-payer health-care system “will never, ever come to pass.” In 2017, West Virginia’s Joe Manchin, by some measures the most conservative Democrat in the Senate, said the idea “should be explored.” During the 2013–14 election cycle, Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey received more money from Wall Street than any other member of Congress. This February, he announced that he would no longer accept donations from corporate political-action committees.

For the first time in more than 40 years, the left is shaping the Democratic Party’s iden y. At a time when the terms liberal, progressive, and leftist are often used interchangeably, it’s worth clarifying what these terms mean. In America, what distinguishes leftists from liberals and progressives—as well as conservatives—is their commitment to radical equality. Leftists are more likely than liberals to argue that economic inequality renders America’s cons utional liberties hollow. They’re more likely to look abroad—to the Soviet Union or Cuba in past eras, and to Scandinavia today—for alternatives to America’s political and economic models. They’re more skeptical of credentialed experts who define the limits of acceptable change. And, perhaps most important, they’re more willing to challenge entrenched norms of fair play to forge a more equal country.
    The only example of a "radical" platform given in this passage is universal healthcare, which is something offered by nearly every westernized nation and supported by a majority of Americans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is this supposed to be a criticism? That Democrats who used to take money from Wall Street will no longer do so in order to limit the influence of special interests?
    I think it illustrates how he moved further left to avoid the "in their pockets" narrative. I'm not sure you're following the point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only example of a "radical" platform given in this passage is universal healthcare, which is something offered by nearly every westernized nation and supported by a majority of Americans.
    I don't care to debate your definition of "radical left". It's not only the GOP who thinks the establishment dems have been hijacked by the leftists. You can move goalposts all you like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it illustrates how he moved further left to avoid the "in their pockets" narrative. I'm not sure you're following the point.
    Moving to the left is not the same as "hijacked by the radical left." The whole country is moving to the left. In a lot of ways, that applies to conservatives too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DMC's daily dose of sophist bull .

Only for bootlicks like yo uis "Democrats have stopped their 40 year rightward move" means "Democrats have been hijacked by the radical left".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moving to the left is not the same as "hijacked by the radical left." The whole country is moving to the left. In a lot of ways, that applies to conservatives too.
    OK. As I said, you are free to concoct whatever definition you want to avoid being wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMC's daily dose of sophist bull .

Only for bootlicks like yo uis "Democrats have stopped their 40 year rightward move" means "Democrats have been hijacked by the radical left".
    You also missed the point. The GOP isn't the only ones saying the dems have been hijacked by the radical left. I'm not insisting they have. Poor math skills, poor reading comprehension.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You beat me to it.

Right wing in this country is so used to setting the debate as to what is "normal' and "center", and have been successfully moving that window more and more to the right since Reagan, that the first time they don't get their way in terms of setting that window their hair catches fire and it is the end of the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK. As I said, you are free to concoct whatever definition you want to avoid being wrong.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    No I understand the point, I find it unintentionally funny that, of all things, efforts to decrease the influence corporate interests have over politics is an example being used of how “radical” the left is getting, as if it’s only the faction of crazy lefties in the country that think the influence big business has over politicians is a problem.

Its also worth noting that of all the Dems who ran in the primary and pledged to not take PAC money, the one who never made that pledge and relied the most on PAC money (largely due to his inability to fundraise with poor and working class voters) is the candidate who won.l the nomination. The major “left wing” networks (CNN/MSNBC) never called Biden out for relying on corporate PAC money or never pledging to refuse it.
    Last edited by Will Hunting; 08-14-2020 at 10:23 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You also missed the point. The GOP isn't the only ones saying the dems have been hijacked by the radical left. I'm not insisting they have. Poor math skills, poor reading comprehension.
    I didn't miss the point. I said you didn't understand the author you used to make your point... didn't actually say what you thought he did.

The only people saying that the Dems have been "hijacked by the radical left" is the GOP.

That is their talking point, repeated breathlessly and endlessly in an obvious attempt to gin up fear on the right.

It is a testament to your confirmation bias that you see the author's milquetoast observation as somehow confirming that.

The party is indeed moving leftward. But there is hardly anything really radical about it. Most of the ideads being put forward are in line with those put forth historically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excess.
    Deaths.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t Biden basically say he’d veto Medicare for all of it passed through Congress?

also imagine thinking universal healthcare is a radical left position when every other developed country offers that in some form or another

the other example on the subject: Hillary says m4a will never pass. Manchin a year later says it should be explored. Wow SO radical
    Last edited by spurraider21; 08-14-2020 at 10:26 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

, but it's not true.

"Nothing will fundamentally change."

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Kasich the double agent

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Didn’t Biden basically say he’d veto Medicare for all of it passed through Congress?

also imagine thinking universal healthcare is a radical left position when every other developed country offers that in some form or another

the other example on the subject: Hillary says m4a will never pass. Manchin a year later says it should be explored. Wow SO radical
    I also like how the author glibly mentions the USSR / Castro’s Cuba “and Scandinavia” as the societies where liberals are looking for new political and economic models, as if modern day Sweden and Stalin era USSR are more or less the same thing and also as if Scandinavian countries are the only countries in the world that have universal healthcare

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone believeving the neocons that run the DNC are lefties or even moving left

These are the same idiots that believed Iraq had WMDs

Stupid idiots will always be stjpid idiots

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kasich the double agent
    Republicans should throw a lot of money at him to tank the speech

Thread Information