Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once they got rid of division winner seeding in 2015 (after Spurs getting screwed vs. Clippers) it made divisional matchups almost completely irrelevant.

The only difference with your divisional foes is that you play them 4 times each, while you may play the other intraconference teams 3 times.

Division opponents = 4x4 = 16 games
    Interconference = 15x2 = 30 games
    6 intraconference = 6x4 = 24 games
    4 intraconference = 4x3 = 12 games

Not sure how they decide which 4 teams you only play 3 times, but it’s probably teams with better records than you had the previous season like the NFL did from 2002-2020.

Irregardless to all of that the only benefit is a fancy banner you can hang in the arena.

A footnote - up until 2006 he three division winners got seeds 1-3. It was after #1 San Antonio played #4 Dallas In the Semi’s that the league revised it to be top four seeds. San Antonio and Dallas were the two best teams in 2006.

Spurs were the root cause of getting rid of division winner seeding entirely, imo.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no the trick is teams worse than spurs are tanking good, teams better are better. it's a can't lose for OP. It's not a secret he posted this after the spurs lost the lottery because he's not smart enough to determine whether 3 FRP picks exceeds Houstons pick.

There's a whole cadre of guys who insist the spurs have to WIN NOW in ways they can understand rather than organically grow. They throw the term "treadmill " around like the spurs wouldn't be smart enough to know how to get around that.
    You wouldn't trade 9+20+25 for 3?

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have work to do to add potential top talent which they don't have currently on the roster.

They are built with just hopeful young guys but no one really has exceptional skills and look like they will take a big jump to star status with the current roster.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You wouldn't trade 9+20+25 for 3?
    Yes and I would take Sharpe. He has a high ceiling. I'm looking to add future star talent.

You aren't likely to get that with any of those Spur draft picks. 20 and 25 have limited value. They may be players who won't even be good enough to make the team or be starters.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Props to you. There was a time when you posted this I thought you were on crack, tbh. Plus I gave PATFO unjustifiable credit for how last years draftees would pan out. It's now pretty clear that Dallas and Memphis will continue to own us, and have a brighter near future, and will be challenging for LOBs for maybe the next 5 years or longer given they keep or add to their current rosters. Houston and OKC have a stockpile of not only young players with high ceilings but most importantly a load of draft picks that are likely to make them a huge pain in the ass in the very near future. OKC was already beating us before adding two top 12 picks this year, with more to come.

So, again, congrats to you for seeing that when some or even most of us were thinking we were looking good with a Murray, White, McDermott, Johnson, Poeltl lineup with Richardson, Jones, Vassell, Collins, Primo, and Walker as the primary backups. Now, at best, I'm only marginally excited about the future development of Murray, Johnson, Vassell, Primo, Jones, and *maybe* Langford. Thinking Poeltl and Walker will price themselves out of our cap situation.

So it comes down to what we get in this year's draft and front office moves if any glimmer of hope can still be there as the others clearly are ahead or passing us.

i'm not even trying to trash the spurs. i'd rather them win the finals than be where they are now.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    The rockets have been worse than the Spurs since you posted this. So when does your future start cause the Spurs haven't finished worst in the division yet.
    it was never about finishing worst in the division. it was always about having the worst future.

maybe the spurs have a better future than the rockets? so that makes this thread an A- instead of an A+? i'll take that. like i mentioned, the spurs were at the top of the division when i posted this. it's not like they were near bottom.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    the rockets have trade pieces in john wall, eric gordon, and christian wood. they also the #3 & #17 picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the rockets have trade pieces in john wall, eric gordon, and christian wood. they also the #3 & #17 picks.
    PLUS Jalen Green, Kevin Porter Jr, Josh Christopher, Alperen Sengun, Usman Garuba, Jaeshawn Tate, Kenyon Martin Jr, and Dennis Schroeder. And they'll likely be adding either Chet Holmgren or Paolo Banchero to that mix.

Three or more of those guys will be or have been all stars, which is beyond where the Spurs are.

One would have to be pretty dense to think Houston is not on a steeper trajectory towards long term compe iveness than the Spurs, quite frankly. The only way they aren't is if their front office s up properly managing all of their assets. They could easily have 2 first round picks or more for years to come just by moving the players that don't fit into their system. As you said, Wood, Wall, Gordon could do that in the right scenario to the right team. So could Kevin Porter Jr, Josh Christopher, Alperen Sengun, or maybe even Dennis Schroeder. Meanwhile they're running out three potential all stars every night and coming together as a young team.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    mavs got christian wood for nearly nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PLUS Jalen Green, Kevin Porter Jr, Josh Christopher, Alperen Sengun, Usman Garuba, Jaeshawn Tate, Kenyon Martin Jr, and Dennis Schroeder. And they'll likely be adding either Chet Holmgren or Paolo Banchero to that mix.

Three or more of those guys will be or have been all stars, which is beyond where the Spurs are.

One would have to be pretty dense to think Houston is not on a steeper trajectory towards long term compe iveness than the Spurs, quite frankly. The only way they aren't is if their front office s up properly managing all of their assets. They could easily have 2 first round picks or more for years to come just by moving the players that don't fit into their system. As you said, Wood, Wall, Gordon could do that in the right scenario to the right team. So could Kevin Porter Jr, Josh Christopher, Alperen Sengun, or maybe even Dennis Schroeder. Meanwhile they're running out three potential all stars every night and coming together as a young team.
    Yes they are- Currently
    However these things can turn on a dime
    Look back at GS- multiple top 10 picks that amounted to hardly anything
    Even had good assets then they draft Curry Thompson and Green within a 3 year time frame
    And it's not like they suddenly became brilliant the year after Curry they drafted at 6 Giogu
    Phoenix was treading water till they struck gold with Devin Booker

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wait until NOLA maxes Zion and hommie promptly eats his way to 400 lbs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houstons future just got better they got rid of Wood.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't buy into the Spurs having the worst future. If you want to debate you can argue either side and it's all academic.

At the moment, Memphis looks like the real deal. I would anticipate they will only get better even standing pat only from development and maturity. Speculating whether Houston will screw up their opportunities and whether Zion ever reaches the potential is beyond what San Antonio can do. They can only manage what is under their control.

They have put themselves in a position of flexibility so they have options. They have assets to make a trade, they have cap space to sign people and they have young players that are growing. I like the future for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not for long

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    john b forever the optimist

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    john b forever the optimist
    I had my moments of weaknesses. If they messed up these 4 picks and huge cap, I’m telling you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had my moments of weaknesses. If they messed up these 4 picks and huge cap, I’m telling you.

no matter how hard i try when i see your name this damn song keeps spinning in my head

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no matter how hard i try when i see your name this damn song keeps spinning in my head

Nice . But this one works too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes they are- Currently
    However these things can turn on a dime
    Look back at GS- multiple top 10 picks that amounted to hardly anything
    Even had good assets then they draft Curry Thompson and Green within a 3 year time frame
    And it's not like they suddenly became brilliant the year after Curry they drafted at 6 Giogu
    Phoenix was treading water till they struck gold with Devin Booker
    Booker wasn’t what put them into contention. They never even made the playoffs until CP0 came to town, and suddenly, it’s a Finals and WCSF appearances in B2B years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Booker wasn’t what put them into contention. They never even made the playoffs until CP0 came to town, and suddenly, it’s a Finals and WCSF appearances in B2B years.
    he didnt put them in contention.Still they arent getting to the finals without book

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Just wait until NOLA maxes Zion and hommie promptly eats his way to 400 lbs.
    nola would still be better than the spurs.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Houstons future just got better they got rid of Wood.
    helps my thread.

the mavs got even better with getting him.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I don't buy into the Spurs having the worst future. If you want to debate you can argue either side and it's all academic.

At the moment, Memphis looks like the real deal. I would anticipate they will only get better even standing pat only from development and maturity. Speculating whether Houston will screw up their opportunities and whether Zion ever reaches the potential is beyond what San Antonio can do. They can only manage what is under their control.

They have put themselves in a position of flexibility so they have options. They have assets to make a trade, they have cap space to sign people and they have young players that are growing. I like the future for the Spurs.
    like i posted before ... the spurs might be better than the worst team in the league?

i posted this thread when the spurs were #1 in the division.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn...just saw the Rockets projected picks: Banchero, Eason or Williams, then Beauchamp.

That makes them a *nasty* team in 2 to 3 years, especially given they still have lots of picks incoming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn...just saw the Rockets projected picks: Banchero, Eason or Williams, then Beauchamp.

That makes them a *nasty* team in 2 to 3 years, especially given they still have lots of picks incoming.
    Banchero and Senguin are going to be swiss cheese on defense. Eason will bust out because he doesn't understand basketball. I don't know which Williams this is and Beauchamp is probably pretty overrated. They will be hard to handle on offense but will give up tons of points as a team.

Thread Information