Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. There are going to be good players picked at or below that spot, and the Spurs have room to take a guy there. I wonder if they couldn't find a guy who agreed to be a two-way? The thing is, it's very hard for a single second to be worth it. Even the 31st pick next year isn't necessarily better than the 38th pick this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a fan of trading 38 for only one pick.
    Exactly

This ain't pick 58. The 38th pick, or any pick in the first half and first third of the second has real value.

Memphis probably won't have a pick from 31-45 for the foreseeable future.

Serious chance they just decided to get a worse pick in the future for only money.

They had the 2nd best record in the league this year. If they swapped a 38 for a future 58 ... SHAME

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kendall brown still on the board.. interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In: Sochan, Branham, Wesley

out: Bates diop, Cacok, Wieskamp, Langford, and Lonnie most likely but I wouldn’t put it pass them to keep him lol

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re better with Sochan at 4 right now than at anytime they were last year. Just cause you’re asshurt they didn’t take Sharpe the 10 cent moron, doesn’t mean this hasn’t improved them.
    Sharpe wasn't on the board like I expected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You want to bet they are below .500 next year?
    Doubt Spurs make it to .500 next year, but I also think they are probably a little better next year barring major injury. They aren't going to lose anyone to make them worse, barring trading away DJ or Jak. So for those cynics, it means we haven't accelerated the rebuild by committing to a tank. On the other hand, maybe Branham and Wesley get real minutes in which case we could lose more games next year.

So in conclusion... it's not very clear.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not going to stress or read too much into it. SA did well, but man I hate capping a draft off with something annoyingly bad like that.

One second to help a team IN the division that is already ahead of you? GTFO with that.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re better with Sochan at 4 right now than at anytime they were last year. Just cause you’re asshurt they didn’t take Sharpe the 10 cent moron, doesn’t mean this hasn’t improved them.
    You're going to be disappointed if you're expecting a major upgrade in their record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mo Bamba
    Mitc Robinson
    Thomas Bryant
    Jalen Smith (maybe more a PF)

All seem like options who fit the timeline.

I also think Miles Bridges could be someone we should be thinking about.

We have the cap space to make some RFA decisions difficult for some teams.
    If the Spurs had been able to pull off the Johnson trade, then Bridges would make a lot of sense. I don't think he does with Sochan and Keldon on the roster. I don't hate Jalen Smith, but I also don't see it worth it to have both him and Collins back up Poeltl. The other guys are rotation players who'd only fit in my mind if Poeltl were traded and they needed to find a replacement that wouldn't embarrass themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 38th pick is 8 picks away from the 1st round -- it's as close to pick 6 as it is to pick 60.

What's wrong with stashing Kamagate -- the one positional need they didn't address.

That said, it was a very good draft night for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly

This ain't pick 58. The 38th pick, or any pick in the first half and first third of the second has real value.

Memphis probably won't have a pick from 31-45 for the foreseeable future.

Serious chance they just decided to get a worse pick in the future for only money.

They had the 2nd best record in the league this year. If they swapped a 38 for a future 58 ... SHAME
    Yep. Also, as I've mentioned before, it's bad juju to trade a pick like this. I wouldn't be surprised if Chandler were a guy STers moaned trading away. I didn't love him as much as some options, but he was mocked in the first, so he has talent. Memphis of all teams knows how to realize that. I don't think the Spurs picked bad players, but I also think a few other teams did more with less.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big fan of the first two picks. After that, this was a complete head scratcher.

I know if I'm Tre Jones I'm sweating my spot tonight. I know Lonnie probably knows Spurs wont match a QO. Cacok probably has already been told he wont be brought back. Weiskamp likely the same.

Perhaps theyre trying to maintain cap space for a run at a free agent or two? Maybe PATFO is high and think they have a shot at Kyrie or KD. Or Ayton is a legit possibility?

Either way, I simply dont understand the trajectory at thevend of the night. And the most confusing/odd news of the day to me is what Timvp reported in one of his pre-draft threads: Spurs are really planning to plug Primo into the PG role long term (in spite of everything that screams he's not a fit for that position) and what it means for DJ. If DJ knows that is their plan, my guess is he goes ballistic and requests a trade.

All in all, I'm nonplussed and whelmed. Sigh.

The only word that makes sense about this draft is schizophrenic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 38th pick is 8 picks away from the 1st round -- it's as close to pick 6 as it is to pick 60.

What's wrong with stashing Kamagate -- the one positional need they didn't address.

That said, it was a very good draft night for the Spurs.
    My math was bad -- should be the 16th pick, but what the , it still was a marginal play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs had been able to pull off the Johnson trade, then Bridges would make a lot of sense. I don't think he does with Sochan and Keldon on the roster. I don't hate Jalen Smith, but I also don't see it worth it to have both him and Collins back up Poeltl. The other guys are rotation players who'd only fit in my mind if Poeltl were traded and they needed to find a replacement that wouldn't embarrass themselves.
    I see the point on Bridges, although I can see a solid rotation between the 3 and 4 with Keldon, Bridges and Sochan.

Kind of like Bridges would give us 3.5 flexibility, I like Jalen Smith to work with Zollins to give us 4.5 flexibility. But I don't think you do Bridges and Smith, you kind of pick a direction and go with it.

Bamba/Robinson/Bryant are definitely Jak replacements. I'm not sure Robinson is too huge a downgrade from Jak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big fan of the first two picks. After that, this was a complete head scratcher.

I know if I'm Tre Jones I'm sweating my spot tonight. I know Lonnie probably knows Spurs wont match a QO. Cacok probably has already been told he wont be brought back. Weiskamp likely the same.

Perhaps theyre trying to maintain cap space for a run at a free agent or two? Maybe PATFO is high and think they have a shot at Kyrie or KD. Or Ayton is a legit possibility?

Either way, I simply dont understand the trajectory at thevend of the night. And the most confusing/odd news of the day to me is what Timvp reported in one of his pre-draft threads: Spurs are really planning to plug Primo into the PG role long term (in spite of everything that screams he's not a fit for that position) and what it means for DJ. If DJ knows that is their plan, my guess is he goes ballistic and requests a trade.

All in all, I'm nonplussed and whelmed. Sigh.

The only word that makes sense about this draft is schizophrenic.
    Feels like the Wesley pick was just too good a value to pass up. Or perhaps a trade is already in the works for him. Otherwise, it is a bit of a head scratcher.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need to go all in on Ayton s&t

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im sure they will bring in some UDFA at center

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if the financial considerations are to help cover a buyout for McDermott, lol.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to judge the draft without knowing how free agency will go.

I think I'm with the consensus here: Sochan was a great pick, Branham/Wesley are somewhere between intriguing and very good, and trading #38 made no sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs might legit be planning to throw the max at Ayton.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted the Spurs to draft a young athletic center as much as the next guy. But what worries me is pops love of small ball. Don’t be surprised if the PF (Sochan) that we drafted is developed as a center so that Johnson and Vassell continue as the PFs. The two young guys drafted tonight will be the wings.

the old man is off his rocker and has been killing the franchise with his rotations and use of players the last couple years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see a major upgrade to last year's team from the draft.

Expect another below .500 team with the current roster.
    I’m looking forward to seeing these rookies develop. Sochan could be something really interesting with the Spurs development staff. But… unless the Spurs are making a trade or another existing Spur makes the all star jump, the Spurs shouldn’t realistically be favored to make the playoffs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot comes into play with a second round pick outside the first 5. It is not so simple as just pick the best guy. It is like semi free agency, good prospects can pressure a team to not pick them if the contract and situation is not right.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not having one of the first round picks as a stash does increase the difficulty in clearing max cap room for a vet, but probably doesn't hurt it for someone coming off a rookie deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted the Spurs to draft a young athletic center as much as the next guy. But what worries me is pops love of small ball. Don’t be surprised if the PF (Sochan) that we drafted is developed as a center so that Johnson and Vassell continue as the PFs. The two young guys drafted tonight will be the wings.

the old man is off his rocker and has been killing the franchise with his rotations and use of players the last couple years

Thread Information