My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do we keep doing this to ourselves? We know EXACTLY how this year will go...

Pop won't trade either DDR or LMA because that's what everyone expects him to do (because it's the smart thing to do) and he loves to buck conventional wisdom... So we'll run it back with older stars, while the rest of the west gets better and younger...

We will resign forbes and stash our 2 draft picks in the g league... And when pop does give them any nba run, he will pull them at the slightest mistake, and they won't see the light of day for weeks

We will miss the playoffs again, LMA will leave to go play with Dame like he has been announcing he would forever, and with the cap space we won't get any decent free agents because anyone with eyes can see the Spurs aren't run right... Plus it's San Antonio... So then the FO will panic and throw money at some trash free agent

Let's stop getting excited about draft picks and projected trades... The days of a smart Spurs FO are gone... They left with Tim Duncan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You forgot our young guys (Walker, White) will demand trades at some point. No way they take another year of Pop yanking them in favor of guys like Mills/Forbes. When you don't make moves in Today's NBA, it gets worse than before, not better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    11/10 take

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, you are right but pre-draft and pre-trade deadline are the only fun, exciting and hopeful times of the year for spurs fans. Literally nothing else to look forward to as a spurs fan.

as someone else said in another thread, we are now the Knicks. Except at least obi Toppin is exciting to watch.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quit ing! GSW is screwed....... Wiseman better pan out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, you are right but pre-draft and pre-trade deadline are the only fun, exciting and hopeful times of the year for spurs fans. Literally nothing else to look forward to as a spurs fan.

as someone else said in another thread, we are now the Knicks. Except at least obi Toppin is exciting to watch.
    Naw dude I don't follow at all. I'm perfectly fine being a fan and relishing the best times. Historically best times, where the team went to the playoffs for 20 years in a row and won 5 rings, ( !). I'm perfectly happy cheering for the random crap that happens for a few years. They can't win every le and you can't expect that anyway. And when the ATT opens back up and we get those miracle cure shots, I'll be back in there eating nachos and cheering the Coyote when we're down by 20 to whatever team Kawhi is now on.

I just wish they'd bring back the in Silver Dancers and make it a more entertaining product again though, tbh. And enough in French Montana samples. That ish is as old as Y'all Ready For This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Naw dude I don't follow at all. I'm perfectly fine being a fan and relishing the best times. Historically best times, where the team went to the playoffs for 20 years in a row and won 5 rings, ( !). I'm perfectly happy cheering for the random crap that happens for a few years. They can't win every le and you can't expect that anyway. And when the ATT opens back up and we get those miracle cure shots, I'll be back in there eating nachos and cheering the Coyote when we're down by 20 to whatever team Kawhi is now on.

I just wish they'd bring back the in Silver Dancers and make it a more entertaining product again though, tbh. And enough in French Montana samples. That ish is as old as Y'all Ready For This.
    No one expects them to win every year... But they're making decisions that we would laugh at if it were the Knicks or any other bottom dwelling team... It's ok to acknowledge our team is making horrible decisions... It doesn't make u less of a fan... Us accepting the is why they keep doing it... Who is gonna hold them accountable? Say what u want about the Lakers, but their FO go all out to win... Because when they lose, their fans give them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quit ing! GSW is screwed....... Wiseman better pan out.
    Screwed? Lol... the sun's, pelicans, and grizzlies will all make the playoffs...maybe even the warriors if klays injury isn't that bad...and at least they'll play their draft pick...Devin will be very familiar with the bench

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Been a fan of the spurs since the 80s. Loved the DRob era. Loved the Duncan era. Doesn’t mean I have to like the SA Knicks era. Doesn’t make those that don’t like this garbage any less of a fan either. In fact for the foreseeable future most of the conversations on this board will be discussions arguing about a turd or sandwich until pop leaves.

yes bring back the dancers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do we keep doing this to ourselves? We know EXACTLY how this year will go...

Pop won't trade either DDR or LMA because that's what everyone expects him to do (because it's the smart thing to do) and he loves to buck conventional wisdom... So we'll run it back with older stars, while the rest of the west gets better and younger...

We will resign forbes and stash our 2 draft picks in the g league... And when pop does give them any nba run, he will pull them at the slightest mistake, and they won't see the light of day for weeks

We will miss the playoffs again, LMA will leave to go play with Dame like he has been announcing he would forever, and with the cap space we won't get any decent free agents because anyone with eyes can see the Spurs aren't run right... Plus it's San Antonio... So then the FO will panic and throw money at some trash free agent

Let's stop getting excited about draft picks and projected trades... The days of a smart Spurs FO are gone... They left with Tim Duncan
    Feel better?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one expects them to win every year... But they're making decisions that we would laugh at if it were the Knicks or any other bottom dwelling team... It's ok to acknowledge our team is making horrible decisions... It doesn't make u less of a fan... Us accepting the is why they keep doing it... Who is gonna hold them accountable? Say what u want about the Lakers, but their FO go all out to win... Because when they lose, their fans give them
    Keep in mind your prime examples of tryhard front offices make their share of mistakes too, regardless of their inherent advantages (big market with TV deals / young adult urban party cities):

- Knicks spent a ton on Melo, Amare, DRose, brought in Phil Jackson, etc and were laughably bad
    - Brooklyn brought in Pierce/AK47/Joe Johnson, Jay Z and were horribad. All signs point to them overpaying for a probably washed KD, cancer Kyrie and "we dont need a coach" will probably end badly this year too
    - Lakers massively overpaid KoMe with that lifetime achievement award contract that hamstrung them for years as cellar dwellers. Then they kept bringing in guys that they thought would help and just made things worse bc of their ty culture (Dlo Russell, Lonzo Ball, Magic Johnson, etc). They brought in "playoff mode activated" LeBroom and still missed the playoffs. Its only when the NBA allowed LeBron to blatantly tamper with New Orleans to get AD, then also had a giant asterisk year and were "determined to crown a (Los Angeles) champion" that the Lakers were fortunate enough with their super top heavy roster to not get any injuries, have the opposition get completely decimated by injury (no Curry, Giannis, Kawhi/PG collapsed, CJ broke his back and Dame got tired after carrying for a month, Murray got kneed in the thigh, Adebayo and Dragic got hurt, etc) and they STILL needed massive LakerRef to ring. Massive ing asterisk there

This all means the NBA is still pretty random during a normal length season. Guys get injured (see Klay today). Guys get old quick (hi LeBron). Guys start to fight each other (Trez/LouWill/Kawhi/PG). Guys quit on their teams (AD pre Lakers). Guys quit on their coaches/owners (Harden/Russ). Teams get exposed as overrated (Celtics, Sixers). And teams come together to become really good out of nowhere (Miami) or get hot at the right time (Portland, Denver).

Spurs FO did try some things too. They shopped LMA and DeMar for sure. Guaranteed they called their buddies like Kerr, Bud, etc and even begrudgingly talked to even the Lakers before hanging up bc FTL. Trades didnt happen pre draft, whatever. happens.

Best we can hope for is they dont re sign Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep in mind your prime examples of tryhard front offices make their share of mistakes too, regardless of their inherent advantages (big market with TV deals / young adult urban party cities):

- Knicks spent a ton on Melo, Amare, DRose, brought in Phil Jackson, etc and were laughably bad
    - Brooklyn brought in Pierce/AK47/Joe Johnson, Jay Z and were horribad. All signs point to them overpaying for a probably washed KD, cancer Kyrie and "we dont need a coach" will probably end badly this year too
    - Lakers massively overpaid KoMe with that lifetime achievement award contract that hamstrung them for years as cellar dwellers. Then they kept bringing in guys that they thought would help and just made things worse bc of their ty culture (Dlo Russell, Lonzo Ball, Magic Johnson, etc). They brought in "playoff mode activated" LeBroom and still missed the playoffs. Its only when the NBA allowed LeBron to blatantly tamper with New Orleans to get AD, then also had a giant asterisk year and were "determined to crown a (Los Angeles) champion" that the Lakers were fortunate enough with their super top heavy roster to not get any injuries, have the opposition get completely decimated by injury (no Curry, Giannis, Kawhi/PG collapsed, CJ broke his back and Dame got tired after carrying for a month, Murray got kneed in the thigh, Adebayo and Dragic got hurt, etc) and they STILL needed massive LakerRef to ring. Massive ing asterisk there

This all means the NBA is still pretty random during a normal length season. Guys get injured (see Klay today). Guys get old quick (hi LeBron). Guys start to fight each other (Trez/LouWill/Kawhi/PG). Guys quit on their teams (AD pre Lakers). Guys quit on their coaches/owners (Harden/Russ). Teams get exposed as overrated (Celtics, Sixers). And teams come together to become really good out of nowhere (Miami) or get hot at the right time (Portland, Denver).

Spurs FO did try some things too. They shopped LMA and DeMar for sure. Guaranteed they called their buddies like Kerr, Bud, etc and even begrudgingly talked to even the Lakers before hanging up bc FTL. Trades didnt happen pre draft, whatever. happens.

Best we can hope for is they dont re sign Forbes.
    What are u talking about?when did I bring up the Knicks and nets as examples of good front offices? I brought up the Knicks as a HORRIBLE FO that we used to laugh at...we are now the Knicks...

and I never said the Lakers don't make mistakes...I said they won the most championships ever because when they DO make mistakes, their fans get in their ass about it...us Spurs fans keep massaging the ego of the front office so they NEVER get held accountable and have no reason not to think their doesn't stink...

everyone and their mother knows trotting out this team again will lead to nothing...we haven't been good at growing young talent for years because they always get shoved back on the bench until they become passive, while the vets get to run wild and do anything they want...90s and 2000s pop would have shipped their ASSES out a long time ago...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Screwed? Lol... the sun's, pelicans, and grizzlies will all make the playoffs...maybe even the warriors if klays injury isn't that bad...and at least they'll play their draft pick...Devin will be very familiar with the bench
    You are underestimating this teams potential defense and switch ability. We have the potential to do play many ways.......btw a potential torn Achilles does equal screwed!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The days of a smart Spurs FO are gone... They left with Tim Duncan
    unfortunately i think you're right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No trades, true, but there’s likely to be no, or a drastically reduced gleague, and Forbes wasn’t extended a QO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I admit, I'd hoped for more-- but in the final equation (assuming no more is done?), the team did take positives steps forward: adding Vassell & Tre and keeping all the young prospects while subtracting Beli & Forbes. And if the rumors are true-- and I'm inclined to believe they are-- then DDR and LA will be available all year until the trade deadline. People praise OKC now for going into total rebuild mode, but if you look at this roster from afar, with KJ, Walker, White, Murray, Samanic, Vassell, and Tre, it kinda looks like a major youth movement rebuild, except it was done in slightly slow motion over three years.

Thread Information