Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sarah Palin is a Maverick freemeat's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The lop-sided move that brings Gasol to the Lakers made me wonder: what do you all think are the worst trades of all-time?

I think it goes without saying that the absolute worst ever involved Kareem Abdul-Jabar. Most people would not even be able to tell you who the Lakers gave up to acquire him. It was Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, and rookies Dave Meyers and Junior Bridgeman. Not even the Shaq trade would top that. I had to do a bit of research to find WHO was involved in some of these lop-sided deals, because in a lot of cases all I could remember was that a top-tier player was traded for nothing. I asked around, yet found no one who could tell me all the names of the scrubs Phoenix gave up for The Round Mound.

MOST NOTABLE:

The Bulls gave Elton Brand to the Clippers for Tyson Chandler.

The Hornets gave up Kobe for Divac (and the Lakers, subsequently, get Divac back).

The Bucks gave up the 9th pick of the 1998 draft for Robert Traylor. The Mavs then use that pick on Dirk Nowitzki.

The Suns get Charles Barkley for Jeff Hornacek, Tim Perry, and Andrew Lang from Philly.

The Washington Wizards trade Chris Webber to the Sacramento Kings for Mitch Richmond.

I would also have to include the trade that brought Nazr Mohammed to the Spurs...not because Nazr is a great player (although he was a big piece of a championship run), but because the Spurs were able to dump the ridiculous contract of Malik Rose. With that extra money, the Spurs were able to sign more role players and make another run in 2007, while the Knicks went in the opposite direction.

I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on other obvious or even not-so-obvious "bad" trades that I am missing. Who was involved and what was the outcome?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill Curley for Sean Elliott

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I would also have to include the trade that brought Nazr Mohammed to the Spurs
    i understand what your coming from, but that doesnt even compete with the likes of kobe for divac

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any trade involving Shawn Bradley!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah...and I failed to include the other two most recent.

-- Garnett to Boston
    -- Iverson to Denver

Between Minnesota and Philly, Philly got hosed worse (but mostly because of Iverson being a complete prick at the time).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i understand what your coming from, but that doesnt even compete with the likes of kobe for divac
    I agree that the player-calibur is not nearly the same, but the overall affect it had on the two franchises raises the level of lop-sided for me. It didnt seem like such a big deal at the time, but dumping that re ed Malik Rose contract was HUGE for the Spurs in 2005 and 2007.

I guess I should also just throw in pretty much anything Isaiah Thomas has done for the Knicks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Hornets gave up Kobe for Divac (and the Lakers, subsequently, get Divac back).
    While a bad one, the Hornets were hamstrung by Kobe with his "If you don't trade me, Im sitting out and going into the draft again next year"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don Ford to the Cavs (Ted Stepian's infamous trade) for #1 pick to Lakers - which became James Worthy. The Lakers drafted Worthy after winning the NBA Championship the year prior.

Caldwell Jones for Moses Malone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joe Barry Carroll and Ricky Brown for Robert Parish and Kevin McHale

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barkley for Hornacek is by far the worst I've ever seen. Nothing for Worthy is pretty bad, but almost nothing for the 2nd greatest PF ever is comedically bad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portland : Randy Foye for Bradon Roy

Tyson Thomas for LaMarcus Aldridge

In 20 years people will look back and laugh at Minnesota and Chicago

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK, that one is worse than Hornacek/Barkley. Wasn't that our pick they shipped to Boston for McHale, too?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Portland owned a of alot of people in 06 and owned Phoenix this year.

The former spurs scout should be GM of the year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls have traded Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler.
    Then Bulls have traded Tyson Chandler for the one year rental of PJ Brown and JR Smith.
    Then Bulls have trade JR Smith for a couple of second round picks.

It's maybe not the worst trade of the history but it's quite amazing to see that Chicago has turned Elton Brand into a couple of second round picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like trading 100 dollars for a handful of nickels...twice.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls have traded Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler.
    Then Bulls have traded Tyson Chandler for the one year rental of PJ Brown and JR Smith.
    Then Bulls have trade JR Smith for a couple of second round picks.

It's maybe not the worst trade of the history but it's quite amazing to see that Chicago has turned Elton Brand into a couple of second round picks.

lol very true. What's sad is Elton Brand is probably the best player they have ever drafted since MJ and Scottie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kareem for whoever the LA sent them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portland has Rudy Fernandez "Ballin" seasoning overseas too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about the draft day deal by Seattle trading Scottie Pippen to the Bulls for Olden Polyniece (sp?)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While a bad one, the Hornets were hamstrung by Kobe with his "If you don't trade me, Im sitting out and going into the draft again next year"
    And who was the Hornet GM who made that trade? Bob Bass, the same GM who Jerry West turned into his personal while he was the Spur GM.

Some notable Spur bad trades:

Our first NBA trade: Two #1 draft picks for a old slow Mack Calvin.
    Trading Frank Brickowski for a old, worn out Paul Pressey with bad knees who had not played much the two previous seasons.
    Trading Kevin Duckworth for Walter "The Truth" Berry.
    Trading a #1 pick for Sidney Green.
    Trading for Steve Smith and his horrific contract.
    Trading....or "selling like a slave" Vernon Maxwell for a whopping $50K to arch rival Houston.
    TBD: The Scola Trade

Fortuneatly we have made more good trades than bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it goes without saying that the absolute worst ever involved Kareem Abdul-Jabar. Most people would not even be able to tell you who the Lakers gave up to acquire him. It was Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, and rookies Dave Meyers and Junior Bridgeman. Not even the Shaq trade would top that.
    This is not even close to being the worst deal of all time. It was not even a bad trade. In fact, since the Bucks essentially HAD to trade Kareem (he didn't want to play for them any more), they made a damn GOOD trade.

Smith gave them one solid year at 16 pts and 11 boards before he was traded. Meyers had four strong years as a good 2-way player before he decided to retire early (IIRC for religious reasons). Bridgeman and Winters were in the top 7 of a Bucks rotation that would consistently win 50-60 games (back when Don Nelson actually coached basketball). They didn't have the 6th Man award back then, but if they did, then Bridgeman or Bobby Jones would have won it every year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    also any trade with Keith Van Horn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers trade a fading Norm Nixon to the Clippers for the rights to rookie Byron Scott -- more championships follow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    actually another really bad trade is Kwame for Butler. poor Kwame

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Utah Jazz draft and trade a young Dominique Wilkins for some guys

Thread Information