Page 28 of 84 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Porzingis trade really killed the Mavs. Not only that huge salary, but they got Hardaway Jr. on his hideous salary and then resigned him anyway, maybe because his erratic ass was the only other talent they had.

They managed to break the KP salary into two chunks of Dinwiddie and Bertans, but those contracts are pretty hideous, too. At least one can be moved eventually and Dinwiddie is sort of a good scorer at times. Bertans is basically junk.

And their draft history... my God. Jalen Brunson was a good pick, but otherwise it's been nothing. (And they gave up two picks to get Porzingis.) They're not able to find much value outside their draft picks, either, and then they overpay for the guys they have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're blaming Luka for his team bricking wide open jumpers when he's getting doubled/tripled?

You don't make any sense...you're talking about Ja "raising" players games yet somehow his team has the best winning percentage ever with him out of the lineup for 1/4 of the season but Luka drags a team full of scrubs to the 2nd round with his best running mate being either Spencer dinwiddie of midget Brunson and you expect him to make them into all-stars somehow?

You said you dont really watch Mavs games so not sure how you can claim that Luka doesnt "elevate" rosters. Was Tim not elevating the Spurs in 2001 or 2002 when we got thrashed by the Lakers? or was the team around him so poor that he couldnt win by himself?
    I am talking about the playoffs, I specified that so we could avoid a whole bunch of regular season stats and , when we know there are regular season stars that aren't cut for the playoffs, Derozan being the biggest and worst of them. I am leaving regular season discussion aside. In the regular season you can get away with a lot, like Pop playing his team without the big 3 and still being compe ive and winning a few games sometimes. He did it to develop the roster, smart strategy. Sometimes players get injured in the regular season too, and you play who you have available. But there are many bad teams in the regular season, there are other teams that would be good, but you face them when there are injuries. There is a whole lot of context for why you can win some games in the regular season with less than your full roster, but you need your best guys in the playoffs.

I already made the main points. The Grizzlies are not some juggernaut team. They are well coached and balanced, enough to defeat the dregs of the regular season without Ja most of the time. In the playoffs? No. Not so much. Ive said that before, Ja raises their ceiling. But in terms of comparison, Ja doesn't have a costar and this is not like the Suns or GSW who are both on another level of experience and in the case of the Suns specially, talent. I am talking about 2 young teams with 2 young stars. One is elevating his game in the 4th Q when the team needs him, the other isn't.

Listen, I want both to win, I don't care for the Suns or the GSW. Both Ja and Luka are underdogs in this race. Grizzlies may very well lose from here on out, because their team is made up of a bunch of youngsters that are not reliable from game to game. But Grizzlies have made come backs in the majority of the games they have played and have won ugly games bc they hustle and in the 4th Q, Ja shows up. Maybe he saves a bunch of his energy for the 4th when they need him, and Luka is out of shape and gassed by the 4th, could be as easy as that, but regardless of the ultimate outcome, I don't see Luka being effective when the team really needs him which is the 4th. That is really the time for stars. Are we going to start blaming teammates for stars not showing up in the 4th of playoff games?
    Last edited by SAGirl; 05-05-2022 at 11:10 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funniest thing is the Sixers are going to have to throw a four or five year max deal at Harden because WTF are their other options now? Punt two seasons of Embiid's prime to have capspace in the summer of 24?
    And this happened because they were WRONG about Simmons. He’s got back surgery scheduled to snip off the bulging part of one disc. Three to four month recovery period. Plenty of time to figure out how to spend that $20M he’s going to win from Philly in his lawsuit to recoup withheld pay.

Daryl Morey just needs to move to Fiji, or something. He’s a complete up at managing an NBA franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Brunson, but he's just the wrong guy to put next to Doncic. Doncic is a 6'7" ball dominant PG for most sets and that gives the Mavs a great potential size advantage. Put a 6'5"-6'6" SG next to him, and you've got a huge back court that's incredibly difficult to defend. Think the Bulls with Jordan and Ron Harper. But if you pair Doncic with the 6'1" Brunson, you're just back to a regular sized duo, and you've neutralized your own advantage.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baseline Bum: About Philly - They are in a bad situation but I wouldn't throw a five year max at Harden. He's on pace to be a Russ Westbrook level bad of contract the way he's going. Hopefully he takes less, so that he could be easier to trade in the future... but they asked for him and they got him... it's their funeral.
    I can't see it. He has enormous leverage over the Sixers who are all in on winning right now while Embiid is in his prime. Nothing in Harden's entire career would convince me he'd ever take much of a paycut. He's one of the most me-first players we have ever seen. Best I could see Harden doing is signing a deal starting around $44 million for next season to get the Sixers committed salary just below the luxury tax. But I don't know the CBA well enough to know if they just have to get below the tax before offering, or if they have to be below the tax after offering the MLE to be able to use the full non-taxpayer MLE. If it's the latter there is literally no reason that could convince Harden to take a paycut.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    James is only 32. I thought he was on the wrong side of 35. Yeah, Harden's going to want the years too. , I'd let him walk and hand the keys to Maxey.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Porzingis trade really killed the Mavs. Not only that huge salary, but they got Hardaway Jr. on his hideous salary and then resigned him anyway, maybe because his erratic ass was the only other talent they had.

They managed to break the KP salary into two chunks of Dinwiddie and Bertans, but those contracts are pretty hideous, too. At least one can be moved eventually and Dinwiddie is sort of a good scorer at times. Bertans is basically junk.

And their draft history... my God. Jalen Brunson was a good pick, but otherwise it's been nothing. (And they gave up two picks to get Porzingis.) They're not able to find much value outside their draft picks, either, and then they overpay for the guys they have.

Mark Cuban can't resist playing fantasy basketball with real players. He's the Jerry Jones of basketball. And they're both in Dallas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    brunson's value just dropped a bit after last night's performance. was it an aberration or a revelation?
    essentially, even kidd called out brunson last night. i think brunson plays better in dallas but this is very reminiscient of 2013 danny green who earned the nickname of icy hot because of his inconsistency, but at least danny offered solid defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Brunson, but he's just the wrong guy to put next to Doncic. Doncic is a 6'7" ball dominant PG for most sets and that gives the Mavs a great potential size advantage. Put a 6'5"-6'6" SG next to him, and you've got a huge back court that's incredibly difficult to defend. Think the Bulls with Jordan and Ron Harper. But if you pair Doncic with the 6'1" Brunson, you're just back to a regular sized duo, and you've neutralized your own advantage.
    Brunsons defense. Another part that makes the pairing with Doncic bad. Too easy to shoot over.
    Even CP0 had no problems launching.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James is only 32. I thought he was on the wrong side of 35. Yeah, Harden's going to want the years too. , I'd let him walk and hand the keys to Maxey.
    The Tobias Harris contract keeps them from being able to sign any kind of replacement whatsoever for Harden. It's Harden or nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Tobias Harris contract keeps them from being able to sign any kind of replacement whatsoever for Harden. It's Harden or nothing.
    Tobias is massively overpaid, but he's at least still good at what he was only good for. He's not washed. He's just a tall offensive shooting guard it looks like at times. Harden is not good at what he used to be good at anymore. He offers them playmaking but honestly, it makes me wonder if they wouldn't have been better off signing Oladipo or some lesser guard that is around and available.

Had Morey been smart he should have thrown the kitchen sink in at Pop and traded for DJ Murray. It's a bit of hindsight because Dejounte improved massively, but if you watched the Spurs you knew he was being held back by playing next to Derozan. He would have potentially been a monster playing with Embiid, and is young, same age group and in his prime. Too bad Morey. He was asking teams for 4 1st round picks when Simmons originally wanted to get traded, before he refused to play.

In hindsight as well, I would not take Simmons for the Spurs unless they really threw a package together with him that they weren't going to throw. I feel bad for Embiid in this kind of situation with a horrible FO and bad coach (cue TD 21 and his fixation with Doc Rivers tbh).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am talking about the playoffs, I specified that so we could avoid a whole bunch of regular season stats and , when we know there are regular season stars that aren't cut for the playoffs, Derozan being the biggest and worst of them. I am leaving regular season discussion aside. In the regular season you can get away with a lot, like Pop playing his team without the big 3 and still being compe ive and winning a few games sometimes. He did it to develop the roster, smart strategy. Sometimes players get injured in the regular season too, and you play who you have available. But there are many bad teams in the regular season, there are other teams that would be good, but you face them when there are injuries. There is a whole lot of context for why you can win some games in the regular season with less than your full roster, but you need your best guys in the playoffs.

I already made the main points. The Grizzlies are not some juggernaut team. They are well coached and balanced, enough to defeat the dregs of the regular season without Ja most of the time. In the playoffs? No. Not so much. Ive said that before, Ja raises their ceiling. But in terms of comparison, Ja doesn't have a costar and this is not like the Suns or GSW who are both on another level of experience and in the case of the Suns specially, talent. I am talking about 2 young teams with 2 young stars. One is elevating his game in the 4th Q when the team needs him, the other isn't.

Listen, I want both to win, I don't care for the Suns or the GSW. Both Ja and Luka are underdogs in this race. Grizzlies may very well lose from here on out, because their team is made up of a bunch of youngsters that are not reliable from game to game. But Grizzlies have made come backs in the majority of the games they have played and have won ugly games bc they hustle and in the 4th Q, Ja shows up. Maybe he saves a bunch of his energy for the 4th when they need him, and Luka is out of shape and gassed by the 4th, could be as easy as that, but regardless of the ultimate outcome, I don't see Luka being effective when the team really needs him which is the 4th. That is really the time for stars. Are we going to start blaming teammates for stars not showing up in the 4th of playoff games?
    He still have time to prove doubters wrong but from what we've seen so far and during the Olympics, Luka seems to have problems to deliver during big games. In the semi vs. France he had a pretty bad shooting game but with Slovenia down 1 and the last possession for the win, and while everyone (and basically every slovenian on Earth) was expecting him to take that last shot, he didn't even tried to create something but just threw the hot potato to the next teammate around, who was probalby as surprised as anyone, and just went on being blocked by Batum... with Doncic going crazy on the refs for absolutly no other reason than trying to blame someone else for his letdown.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Lol Memphis wasn't just beating the leagues bottom feeders without Ja. They beat Phoenix with both CP3 and Book playing. They beat Milwaukee with Freak and Middleton by 25. They beat Miami at Miami. The beat Philly without Embiid by 35. They beat Brooklyn with KD and Kyrie fighting for the playoffs. All without Ja. It wasn't just the "dregs"?? of the league.

Memphis without Ja really did look like the best team in the league. Regular season or not, all those good teams they beat without Ja were playing for something, with maybe Phoenix the exception.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry guys got their ages wrong,,,,its the greek freak that is almost 28.
    Last edited by HemisfairArena; 05-05-2022 at 12:47 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry guys got their ages wrong,,,,its the greek freak that is almost 28.
    I was about to say they are basically the same age

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol Memphis wasn't just beating the leagues bottom feeders without Ja. They beat Phoenix with both CP3 and Book playing. They beat Milwaukee with Freak and Middleton by 25. They beat Miami at Miami. The beat Philly without Embiid by 35. They beat Brooklyn with KD and Kyrie fighting for the playoffs. All without Ja. It wasn't just the "dregs"?? of the league.

Memphis without Ja really did look like the best team in the league. Regular season or not, all those good teams they beat without Ja were playing for something, with maybe Phoenix the exception.
    I think the difference here between the two team's supporting cast is defensively. I didn't watch the other games, but I watched the Brooklyn game and it was evident that Brooklyn wasn't a good team. They have two talented scorers that like to iso and don't get others involved, they settle for a lot of tough shots that they can make, but don't create advantages for the team and more importantly, they also didn't get any contributions from anyone else in that game. The team lacked energy players and good defenders. It was a game that exposed Brooklyn as a pretender more than anything. Philly without Embiid is bad, you are seeing it right now. Miami honestly is a team difficult to judge. They haven't really been tested in the playoffs this season yet. They defeated Atlanta, which was possibly the worst playoff team, and now are beating a helpless Philly. How would they have fared against the pesky and surprising Pelicans though? I don't know because we didn't see it. They look good so far, but they have had it easy in the playoffs.

I will say this, the Grizzlies definitely have an edge defensively over the Mavs roster and that is probably the difference maker in games decided by a thin edge. Tyus Jones is also very good, not a star or anything, and I doubt he'd help Dallas more than some guys Dallas has playing the G position, but he's added a 3 and is just the kind of guy to keep them afloat paying at the pace they want and moving the ball to get their other guys their shots in the regular season. Just a good solid backup. He may have played his way into a starting role somewhere this summer even. But he's a roleplayer, the Grizzlies would struggle to score under good defensive pressure if he's your main PG for the playoffs and you don't have a true scoring star.

I don't expect Dallas to win, but Luka is their leader and I wanted to see a more compe ive game in the 4th Q.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 05-05-2022 at 02:55 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the league is suspending Dillon Brooks for one game. Wow. If only things were called even right? I hope from now on, both teams heed the warning to avoid reckless defensive plays, including GSW... one would hope.

Dillon was playing very poorly offensively, but I feel he was (is) due for a good offensive game. He's not an efficient offensive player, but he's also not as bad as his number are for the postseason. He's due to get better... but not next game.

Desmond Bane has had a sore back and hasn't been himself against GSW. The next game will be tough.

I'd expect more Ziaire, Melton and Tyus Jones.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i've got no problem with the brooks suspension. the evidence is clear, these kind of reckless plays often result in serious injuries. had payton not actually broken his elbow, perhaps brooks wouldn't have been suspended.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brooks was suspended because Kerr got his undies up his ass. That wasn't anything but a bad foul, except Payton happened to fall weird. That's it. Whining when you're a Warrior works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, how does the NBA up with not having any games last Saturday and no games tonight? How do you that up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, how does the NBA up with not having any games last Saturday and no games tonight? How do you that up?
    yeah-it's no bueno. they should have scattered the games. i'm not sure if the NFL draft had something to do with the scheduling this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel bad for Embiid in this kind of situation with a horrible FO and bad coach (cue TD 21 and his fixation with Doc Rivers tbh).
    At this coming from the biggest hypocrite and arguably homer on the board, while she fan girls it up with the Grizzlies at every turn.

Congratulations, you've just proven you either lack basic reading comprehension or your bizarre hatred of me (look in the mirror before playing holier than thou) has clouded it in this case.

My contention is about injustice in Rivers' case, clearly in large part due to him being a double whammy: old and black. So he gets nitpicked to death and every young and white guy not coaching a bad team is made out to be some genius.

I could care less about him or any of these people and don't buy into the agenda driven media narratives about who's supposedly a good/bad coach. That's for sheep like you to lap up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are only games every night thru the first round. With half the teams, and travel days, there just isn’t every day coverage available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brooks was suspended because Kerr got his undies up his ass. That wasn't anything but a bad foul, except Payton happened to fall weird. That's it. Whining when you're a Warrior works.
    Brooks was suspended because he swung and connected to the head and neck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with this. Kerr pressured the league publicly and unfortunately the guy got hurt. Meanwhile, in other series, CP3 knocked out Alvarado's teeth and didn't even get called for so much as an offensive foul and Embiid had his face literally broken and instead got called for the foul.

I already hate the bad fouling in the playoffs no matter who it is, and I'd be just as happy if the league called things even, going back to the those times when Donkey was kicking people in the nuts and Zaza was sliding under opposing stars feet... We don't need to go that far. In the same game that Donkey grabbed Clarke in mid air and pulled him down by his jersey, he was taunting the crowd and other players and then saying in a podcast that he wouldn't stop playing defense the way he plays it. Showing no remorse whatsoever or apology.

Taylor Jenkins obviously is not Kerr, he's more from Pop's school and won't say anything. I actually sometimes have a big glimmer of hope that the Grizzlies would be able to take care of GSW bc they are just that fearless but they have the deck of cards stacked against them and the high they are riding from their last game is going to come crashing next game. I suspect they'll get a possible beatdown with GSW making up their bad shooting % so far in one night and a demoralizing loss. It's just one game and move on to the next one.

I also saw online a photo that Adams is back from H & safety protocol (the COVID thing). He and Donkey have a long history in the playoffs, but the Grizzlies have struggled to score with him in the lineup... so honestly I don't know how to take it. Hoping he'll be good and can give them a jolt at least rebounding or something.

Thread Information