Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Looks like TS Alex is on its way, on time. Hoping we get a fun 2017 or 2004 type of year. Not like the last two years which were full of shorties, i.e. wasted names that were weak, way out to sea, mostly subtropical and affected nobody.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hopefully we get some tropical storms/hurricanes headed to Texas. Although it looks like it's going to be one of those years where the massive heat high keeps anything from coming our way.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Hopefully we get some tropical storms/hurricanes headed to Texas. Although it looks like it's going to be one of those years where the massive heat high keeps anything from coming our way.
    Ugh this year is going to make 2012's summer look nice

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Ugh this year is going to make 2012's summer look nice
    2011 you mean?

2011 was the insanely high millibar pressure ridge parked over Texas from May to late September. 2012 was more temperate but more humid and wetter. 2013 was very hot in August/Sept but the first half of the summer was barely above normal.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    2011 you mean?

2011 was the insanely high millibar pressure ridge parked over Texas from May to late September. 2012 was more temperate but more humid and wetter. 2013 was very hot in August/Sept but the first half of the summer was barely above normal.
    Yeah it was 2011 when tropical storm Don was crushed by the high pressure system sitting over us

I remember Steve Brown saying Don fought the high and the high won

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Yeah it was 2011 when tropical storm Don was crushed by the high pressure system sitting over us

I remember August not being so bad after June and July were horrible. Wonder if that storm did anything to help us out?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I remember August not being so bad after June and July were horrible. Wonder if that storm did anything to help us out?
    Don? No it just got completely destroyed by the heat high.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

Crap I was thinking 2011 didn't have too bad an August, but now remember that year I went to Yellowstone, the Beartooths, and Grand Teton in late August and missed that stretch of 106-110 at the end of the month. There was still ing snow at this one pass I hiked over.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Yeah. High heat.

As Don approached the Texas coast early on July 30, the thunderstorms rapidly diminished due to the combination of wind shear, drier air, and cooler sea surface temperatures just offshore

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green

Yup, I remember that exact one.

SA had burn bans all spring and summer of 2011, stage 3 water restrictions, and didn't get rain at all until October 2011 and even then most of the cold fronts were pretty dry and windy that fall.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yup, I remember that exact one.

SA had burn bans all spring and summer of 2011, stage 3 water restrictions, and didn't get rain at all until October 2011 and even then most of the cold fronts were pretty dry and windy that fall.
    That year was the first time our well went dry so I always remember it because I thought Don is going to be the drought breaker and then nothing, not one damn drop.

Also we went to Yosemite Sept 1st that year. Daytime highs were low 90's there which is a little warm. We were hiking with this British couple and they were getting their ass kicked and kept asking how come you two aren't hot and we just kept telling them, Texas. Then flying back into SA the pilot comes on and says welcome to San Antonio the temperature is 113 and a collective "fuuuuuuuuuuuck" was heard onboard the plane.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    That year was the first time our well went dry so I always remember it because I thought Don is going to be the drought breaker and then nothing, not one damn drop.

Also we went to Yosemite Sept 1st that year. Daytime highs were low 90's there which is a little warm. We were hiking with this British couple and they were getting their ass kicked and kept asking how come you two aren't hot and we just kept telling them, Texas. Then flying back into SA the pilot comes on and says welcome to San Antonio the temperature is 113 and a collective "fuuuuuuuuuuuck" was heard onboard the plane.
    I remember that. Junior year in high school. Walking back from school that particular week felt like walking through drinking gasoline.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

Ugh it was 100 in Yosemite Valley when I went there in August 2012 and I was burning up carrying a full pack just hiking around there waiting for the 6PM bus to the Tuolumne Meadows campground (hiking up from the Valley to Tuolumne Meadows is practically impossible since it's the same permit as people who camp in Little Yosemite to go hike Half Dome and those are harder to reserve than PS5s). Thankfully the high country off Tioga Pass Road was nice and cool since it's above 8500 feet for the most part if I remember right.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 06-20-2022 at 10:25 AM.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Ugh it was 100 in Yosemite Valley when I went there in August 2012 and I was burning up carrying a full pack just hiking around there waiting for the 6PM bus to the Tuolumne Meadows campground (hiking up from the Valley to Tuolumne Meadows is practically impossible since it's the same permit as people who camp in Little Yosemite to go hike Half Dome and those are harder to reserve than PS5s). Thankfully the high country off Tioga Pass Road was nice and cool since it's above 8500 feet for the most part if I remember right.
    I was there last early-Mid August and it was highs in the 70s-low 80s and lows in the upper 50s/low 60s iirc.

Thread Information