Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So they could've had Onyeka Okongwu, the 6th overall pick in 2020 - a 6'8 forward who's only 22. Instead the Spurs favored an unprotected 1st. Shows you how volatile a top 10 pick is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was feeling slightly better reading your piece, until the part where the Spurs passed on OO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad they didn't trade him for another on-the-cusp all star player who'd just continue the trend of pathetic mediocrity and would up their cap space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like if you're zipped into your musty, -stained yurt smelling each other's farts, you shouldn't be allowed to make trades in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So that trade is getting called in today if the Spurs are really going to waive Gallo. I would have preferred getting something back in the deal that could factor into this year, but it seems like keeping Murray was untenable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good luck getting butts in the seats now, ya comical heels. Why should anyone believe in your product going forward?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And can we stop pretending that this was four picks? The swap ain't a pick. It literally requires the Spurs to become better than the Hawks by that draft year. Continuing to dump talent after giving them an All-Star guard for free?

It was three picks. Let's be honest, please.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, trade him and McDermott to the Knicks for a first and an expiring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you! It made the trade make more sense. I assumed Spurs didn’t want Collins. Glad to put the John Collins thing to rest on SP. Only thing I didn’t like was there was no young player asset.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And can we stop pretending that this was four picks? The swap ain't a pick. It literally requires the Spurs to become better than the Hawks by that draft year. Continuing to dump talent after giving them an All-Star guard for free?

It wasn't four picks, and the article doesn't say it was. What it was is three picks and a swap, which is undoubtedly more than three picks.

In order of value, I'd put it.

2025 first
    2027 first
    2026 swap
    2023 CHA first

The Spurs can control three years of the Hawks' drafts. That's much more valuable than a protected first. They can get those pretty easily now. If I had to guess at what the Spurs' plan is, it's for them to ac ulate assets for the next two years and then live off them starting in 2025. They acquired those future picks now when they're relatively cheap so they won't have to worry about it later. I expect most of the follow trades to be focused on 2023 and 2024 picks.

Also, I understand some fans will be turned off by this trade. But I don't think players will see it as a bad thing. The team has been responsive to players' requests, and it seems pretty clear that Murray wanted to leave. I don't think anyone thinks the Spurs did DeJounte wrong by sending him to a team with le aspirations when they didn't feel like they were ready for that themselves. I doubt many players consider being traded from SA to ATL a punishment.

I'm not mad at the Spurs not wanting to "pay" DeJounte. It would have been really hard for him to be worth the DPE, and I'm glad it's not a decision they have to make. I said before last year that Murray's relationship with the Spurs could be on the edge of flipping into something caustic. I'm glad to see a cordial end that gives both sides what they want before it came to that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It probably will end up four picks though:

2025 Atlanta first
    2026 Charlotte second
    2027 Atlanta first
    2027 Charlotte second

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate the trade

hate it

I’ve thought about it and I understand it but I still hate it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like OO but perhaps the Spurs weren’t enamored with that many guys being up for rookie extensions in short order (KJ this year, Vassell and OO next year, Primo following year)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So please timvp tell me they're dumping Poetl too now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still cannot believe, that SA with the young under contract all star and a bidding war, walked away with ABSOLUTELY ZERO for sure good assets

I get unprotected picks are valuable, but they are so far away and even then not a guarantee that a SINGLE one is lottery level.

How on Earth, was OO not included in this deal WITH all the picks. Makes no sense. If they say no, walk away and trade DJ later. That’s the point of having multi year contracts.

This is the type of deal I would expect if there were no other bidders and DJ was toxic. Reading that there were multiple teams and the still couldn’t get OO? I truly dont get it timvp. Care to comment on your thoughts?

The should have easily been able to take out the ChA pick for OO - and told ATL sorry if they said no.

Ya, on one hand if getting OO makes the deal REALLY GOOD, its hard to complain to much, but SA was the one with the young all star and a bidding war. How do they not hold firm?

Not getting Collins instead of Gallo was a mistake. He has wayyyy more value than Gallo in a trade. If Gallo is now fully guaranteed and they dont even clear any extra cap space? So bad.

CHA pick is GUARANTEED not to be a lottery pick so what was the value there? We’ve seen SA cant trade non-lotto picks very easily to move up to more meaningful picks so whats the point of having a ton of those vs getting OO? It’s just silly, even though the trade makes sense too and has significant upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like OO but perhaps the Spurs weren’t enamored with that many guys being up for rookie extensions in short order (KJ this year, Vassell and OO next year, Primo following year)
    Have Keldon or Vassell shown anything yet to deserve a large extension?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Enjoy the show

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CHA pick is GUARANTEED not to be a lottery pick so what was the value there? We’ve seen SA cant trade non-lotto picks very easily to move up to more meaningful picks so whats the point of having a ton of those vs getting OO? It’s just silly, even though the trade makes sense too and has significant upside.
    Especially when that Charlotte pick is probably even money to become two second rounders in 2026. Yay the Spurs can get their next Bryan Bracey and Jack McClinton from this deal!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any insight on to why the spurs would consider trading him? Klutch sports? Extension?

Thread Information