Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    SR21

I quickly checked current positions and at the time of this posting Nepo is in bad shape against the American kid with glasses (the one who could not close out a game against a really good defensive opponent (the oldest guy in the tourney)

You might want to look in on this game if you can. Im out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    looks like nepo is gonna sleepwalk to another win in the candidates in all likelihood. with caruana losing today he now holds a 1.5 point lead with 4 rounds to go.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Is Vagina DeHoffa still in the mix?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    if nepo can hold a draw tomorrow, its basically good night. he's playing the black pieces against Firouzja, who came into the event as the big story, young prodigy, but has largely struggled in the tourney. if firouzja can beat nepo, it gives nakamura/caruana/ding an opportunity to close the gap within half a point.

but if nepo holds a draw, its very unlikely he loses his lead

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Magnus isn't playing? \_/.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    If you want to catch the rerun of the live stream I highly suggest watching it with Judit Polgar and Jan Gustafsson.
    They do an very good job, even for the people like me who cant see many moves ahead.

These two analysts really enjoy the games as well. If they see a game they dont find interesting they will switch games. Also they can immediately analyze positions once they see the board unlike the younger American goofballs on the other stream. I actually am beginning to understand (does not mean I would become any better at playing) the matches better because these two are very good at explaining the different phases of a game. And they are actually humble and really give kudos when they dont understand a move and then a few moves later it makes sense and they applaud the play. They tell you when a situation is very unique or when they go back to their old days and say "this reminds of when I was playing; or this is similar to the game when so and so played so and so" The fkn memory on these people and the extremely rapid analysis of a new board is mind boggling. Polgar is very, very good and the German guy gladly lets her explain her thoughts and then gives kudos and vice versa. And they appear to be relentless as well. Polgar will not let them take a break if there is a sequence of play that is important. The German guy says I have to pee and she wont let him go. "Critical situation here... hold it" paraphrased.

So if you want to go back and skip around I would definitely go with these two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HceAmeNrb4

Today's commentary above.
    I have no clue how these people have so much mental stamina, the analysts included. And the analysts are retired from the big stage.
    It was also funny to me to read the comments as there was a very interesting trend I noticed. Just like this board, their are people who just want to screw proceedings up. The comments from the people with Indian names with very bad English were extraordinarily harsh on Judit Polgar. "Women cant play chess and such" So I looked up Polgar and she was probably the best woman ever to play including:

Polgár is the only woman to have won a game against a reigning world number one player, and has defeated eleven current or former world champions in either rapid or classical chess: Magnus Carlsen, Anatoly Karpov, Garry Kasparov, Vladimir Kramnik, Boris Spassky, Vasily Smyslov, Veselin Topalov, Viswanathan Anand, Ruslan Ponomariov, Alexander Khalifman, and Rustam Kasimdzhanov

And these people would automatically say she did not know the game? Its like they are programmed to think women automatically cant play chess. I found it very revealing. Also the people with what looked like more Arabic names with bad English made these comments. I found it funny because the moderators admonished people for speaking about the war, making xenophobic comments, but nothing when they attacked Polgar. The "posters" , who wrote English a bit better, usually had to tell these people that she would wipe the floor with them. It happened during one particular period and was pretty bad. Then of course all these people claiming to have 2400 ratings and such... reminds me of this board.

And both the announcers like the Chinese guy immensely. This is the one thing I have not figured out. Maybe he has made some astounding play at times and they see the potential but he cant get to a world championship? They also like the one American who will explain his games every day on Youtube. Even after he takes a bad loss or draw. But they dont seem to consider him.... like top 5... it seems. Just like an entertainer who is very good.

Anyways good stuff when there is not a lot of sports.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Magnus isn't playing? \_/.
    He is the champion.
    this is the tourney to see who gets to play him.
    Its apparently the most important chess tournament round robin in the world because it determines the champions next opponent.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    He is the champion.
    this is the tourney to see who gets to play him.
    Its apparently the most important chess tournament round robin in the world because it determines the champions next opponent.
    Awesome.

I'll watch when he plays.

Im in Detroit (west Wayne county actually) until July 31st and I'm going to Cedar Point with my fiance Marissa for the next 5 days consecutively. It's going to be amazing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Awesome.

I'll watch when he plays.

Im in Detroit (west Wayne county actually) until July 31st and I'm going to Cedar Point with my fiance Marissa for the next 5 days consecutively. It's going to be amazing.
    You should watch this stuff as the players are very different and the announcers are very good. The 2nd phase of the round robin just got started.
    Like SR21 said, the leader is in tremendous position. But you get variety. Also there are rumors that Magnus will not play the Russian guy who leads this tourney. Magnus already played him. they had six draws in a row and then the Russian lost one game and completely fell apart and got crushed. SR21 explained this was very bad form for players this good. They are NOT expected to fall apart. In this particular tourney the Chinese guy had a really bad day and the next day game back he was able to achieve an incredible draw from a very bad position. Apparently chess fans expect this.
    Mental toughness.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    You should watch this stuff as the players are very different and the announcers are very good. The 2nd phase of the round robin just got started.
    Like SR21 said, the leader is in tremendous position. But you get variety. Also there are rumors that Magnus will not play the Russian guy who leads this tourney. Magnus already played him. they had six draws in a row and then the Russian lost one game and completely fell apart and got crushed. SR21 explained this was very bad form for players this good. They are NOT expected to fall apart. In this particular tourney the Chinese guy had a really bad day and the next day game back he was able to achieve an incredible draw from a very bad position. Apparently chess fans expect this.
    Mental toughness.
    Do any of them play like say Mikhail Tal or all they all Tigran Petrosian types who go for a draw almost every game. Nowadays 7/8 games are boring draws where everyone trades all the pieces and they agree to a draw before the endgame.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    lmao nepo winning as black again. firouzja has completely collapsed under the pressure of this event, not unlike nepo in last year's championship match

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    Hasn’t magnus said he would only play in the championship if it was firouzja that made it?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Hasn’t magnus said he would only play in the championship if it was firouzja that made it?
    he has said that but most of the chess world doesnt think he'd actually follow through with that

and considering how firouzja has been completely ting himself in the candidates, that seems like a really bizarre demand in hindsight

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    while Nepo's resurgence is a cool story, its still kinda underwhelming to have the same challenger again after how one sided the championship was last year. hopefully ding liren pulls off a miracle. would make for a much better championship match if it was magnus vs ding tbh. but nepo has a 1.5 point lead with 3 games to go. ding has won 3 straight though including 2 with black

Nepo's 3 remaining games:

white pieces vs nakamura
    white pieces vs rapport
    black pieces vs duda

ding's 3 remaining games:

white pieces vs radjabov
    black pieces vs firoujza
    white pieces vs nakamura

even if ding continued his great run and say, wins 2 of those and draws one, nepo still would skate by if he just drew all 3 games. ding losing with the white pieces to nepo in round 1 was massive

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Deng just got his butt kicked in the shortest game of the tourney.
    By the 35 yo throw in Teimour Radijabov.
    It honestly looked like Deng was getting watery eyed.

Radjiabov is clearly playing a lot better than in the start. He had not won a game in 3 years (he did not play much apparently)
    For Deng; its time to again show resilience after getting crushed. Next game bring it.
    I still find the reruns and skipping around the replays on Youtube entertaining.
    I like the round robin stuff.

For MM: A draw game can be incredible if a player extricates himself from a horrible position with a flawless defense after getting in a bad position. Deng already did this. And clearly some games are just poorly played, but then some games with with two players that are not so popular can be quite impressive with unique play back and forth that has the analyzers mystified until after they go over it and realize how good it was. All of these players can produce single games of genius. Its the grind that gets them imo. I am perfectly horrible at chess but you can get the general feel if you read and watch certain parts of the Youtube replays. I would rather watch this than two players playing each other game after game tbh.
    I look forward to falling asleep to the replays now. Thankfully it ends soon and I will go to sleep earlier.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Also winning material vs. getting position is well beyond me at this level. Lets go further, at any level its difficult if you dont play much and are naturally suck at the game like I do.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Nepo needs 1 more draw to clinch his win in the tourney. but if Magnus is serious about not defending his le (i doubt it), then 2nd place in this tourney has some real stakes

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Also winning material vs. getting position is well beyond me at this level. Lets go further, at any level its difficult if you dont play much and are naturally suck at the game like I do.
    read up on the alpha zero vs stockfish games

stockfish is widely considered to be the best open-source engine out there, and the pros use it when they want to study lines. google developed their own chess ai called alphazero, which is not publicly available. but the two engines played a bunch of matches vs one another, and those games were published/released. alpha zero dominated. one of the recurring themes was alphazero seemingly not caring as much about material count. ie i dont care if my opponent has an extra bishop if the bishop is blockaded to the point where it is effectively inactive.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    they published 10 of its games*

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I just dont have the ability to concentrate hard enough on this game to take deeper dive at this time.
    But I do like the overall etiquette of the game and playing and preparing so much if one does have the ability.

The Japanese-American took a draw with Nepo... I really like the idea of playing each game individually and worry about the final results at the end of the tourney.
    He copped out imo. I dont like his excuse. He just admits he has black and he cant beat the guy based on the opening.
    I say then make Nepo work for the draw. Part of the appeal here for me is there are people who put everything into a game. That should be a part of the rankings imo. Its obvious to them when a draw is clear and resigning is inevitable. Too early in a game imo. Maybe the players get jaded when they lose sight of the possibility of making a set of great moves. If a computer/engine (or whatever they call them) would not give up, then hang in.

I know these guys probably dont make the money most other entertainers do but it seems there is a pureness of purpose to this game (if you are all in and have the capability and will). If you lose the will, take time off or quit imo... Easy to say when I would not touch it even if I could.

I like knowing there are people out there that care this much, I just dont want to be one of them. And not only because I am not capable. I am not willing to put my efforts into something so fully. These guys seem almost like really serious Monk level hard core.

edit: I see I am not the only one who feels this way about the early draw they both accepted.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I just dont have the ability to concentrate hard enough on this game to take deeper dive at this time.
    But I do like the overall etiquette of the game and playing and preparing so much if one does have the ability.
    This. I feel like I was way better when I was in my teens. I'd take the time to think several moves ahead. Now, I've gotten lazy or less creative or both. I still enjoy playing but I find myself never looking 10 moves (even 5 moves) ahead.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    This. I feel like I was way better when I was in my teens. I'd take the time to think several moves ahead. Now, I've gotten lazy or less creative or both. I still enjoy playing but I find myself never looking 10 moves (even 5 moves) ahead.
    i was probably at my best near the end of college. i dont think i really touched chess between then and the queen's gambit series tbh

now when i do play its just 3 minute games on chess.com and those arent ones that let you put much thought in or improve, really

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    My dad taught me to play.
    That was probably part of the problem.

I do remember playing other people and we were all bad enough that actually having an end game was extremely difficult. We would not quit because we were not good enough or tutored enough to know when to quit. The games were basically clear the board as much as possible of pieces so it was easier to see what was going on. And then know a few signature early moves to checkmate someone who had no clue. Knights out, pawns out and protected, bishops out and then it all became muddled. I got so exacerbated by not being able to get the rooks out early on. I wanted them out so bad. And the queen was so important to me I would use her carefully and then carelessly. I just changed based on how strong I felt the opposition was.

I basically felt like I always wanted to put the opposition under some sort of pressure to always get to take a piece. Exchanging was fine for me because it cleared the board. I also remember getting frustrated about getting my pawns in the way of my own play. Its like I dont even want to go down that shallow hole that I once visited in middle school and then occasionally later. I guarantee I am worse than both you and SR21. Easily.

I really dont even know anyone who was very good iirc.

But this tournament was sort of an awakening into just looking at a board and realizing who was in better shape. I just could never actually get to the point of taking the path to get to that point. I will keep watching to see who gives up and who fights. Probably read about it first and then run through the youtube rapidly until I find the game. Its good being able to fast forward through some of these players who take so long to move.

I would never watch it if I could not read about it first and if the analysts stayed silent. I must have input to guide me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    i was probably at my best near the end of college. i dont think i really touched chess between then and the queen's gambit series tbh

now when i do play its just 3 minute games on chess.com and those arent ones that let you put much thought in or improve, really
    I really liked that movie.
    I like how she just stayed in the park playing people at the end.
    iirc she dumped some press guy and just played chess for "fun" at the end.

Now on youtube Im getting all this stuff just pop up with pretty girls trying to display a little chest (got that side angle)while playing various "pick up" games.
    I mean pick up like in bball. This is what I deserve. Back to the fishing videos. My wife is wft...? She sees all this fishing equipment displayed on my computer and out of nowhere comes the girl with the lowcut blouse playing some "hustler"

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    10773418[/URL]]My dad taught me to play.
    That was probably part of the problem.

I do remember playing other people and we were all bad enough that actually having an end game was extremely difficult. We would not quit because we were not good enough or tutored enough to know when to quit. The games were basically clear the board as much as possible of pieces so it was easier to see what was going on. And then know a few signature early moves to checkmate someone who had no clue. Knights out, pawns out and protected, bishops out and then it all became muddled. I got so exacerbated by not being able to get the rooks out early on. I wanted them out so bad. And the queen was so important to me I would use her carefully and then carelessly. I just changed based on how strong I felt the opposition was.

I basically felt like I always wanted to put the opposition under some sort of pressure to always get to take a piece. Exchanging was fine for me because it cleared the board. I also remember getting frustrated about getting my pawns in the way of my own play. Its like I dont even want to go down that shallow hole that I once visited in middle school and then occasionally later. I guarantee I am worse than both you and SR21. Easily.

I really dont even know anyone who was very good iirc.

But this tournament was sort of an awakening into just looking at a board and realizing who was in better shape. I just could never actually get to the point of taking the path to get to that point. I will keep watching to see who gives up and who fights. Probably read about it first and then run through the youtube rapidly until I find the game. Its good being able to fast forward through some of these players who take so long to move.

I would never watch it if I could not read about it first and if the analysts stayed silent. I must have input to guide me.
    I feel that. I only play a couple of people on chess.com. If I ever feel like I have any advantage, I’ll trade pieces until I can promote a pawn. I’m so lazy that I won’t even try to mate with adequate material. When I look at my game report, it always shows a few mistakes and often a missed win. I’d love to go back in time and really study the game. Same with hold’em. I’d also like to learn Spanish. But I’ve kind of accepted that I’m probably too old and definitely too lazy.

Thread Information