Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Spurs fan from Hong Kong team-work's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    o, Spurs fans! Haven't posted for some time, but I've following the offseason moves by the Spurs closely.

The Beijing Olympics has begun, & the opening ceremony was quite a pleasure to see.

The basketball game will begin tomorrow night in our local time. As Chinese, I hope Yao Ming & the Chinese Team play their best basketball. Of course, I'm realistic, & just wish that there will be a "close" game in which the home team lose by less than 15. Also, hopefully, they don't allow too many alley-oops from Kobe, Lebron etc & I'll be satisfied.

(Spurs related) I also hope that Ginobili will enjoy the Olympics while not over-exerting himself. The chance of repeating as gold medalists is not great, but it's a team game & Ginobili cannot change it all by himself. His return to Spurs as healthy as possible will be the best scenario for the Spurs fans.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if timmy would join the Olympics, that's what a shot.

in the openning ceremony, Kirilenko,Boozer and Williams got together. it reminded me parker+timmy+manu in London2012.. but seems no way..

finally go spurs go

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Duncan were in the Olympics, the gold medal is a lock.

Right now Team USA is still the most likely to win it all, but without Timmy there's not a comparable inside threat.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What time does the game start?

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    If you want to watch all the events live download Sopcast for free but the events will be broadcast in Chinese. Sometimes during the season, I use this if can't watch NBA games.

Channelsurfing.net has a list of events in realtime and will bring you to a link broadcasting in realtime.

NBC said they were going to broadcast the events by internet but there has been some internet censorship. However if you don't feel like watching the games at 4AM and would rather watch the rewind, just click on the event you want to see. http://www.nbcolympics.com/index.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's gonna be closer than some ppl thing

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Right now Team USA is still the most likely to win it all, but without Timmy there's not a comparable inside threat.

Duncan + 2004 Olympics = BRONZE
    Last edited by Showtime Lakers; 08-09-2008 at 11:50 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe you couldn't spell olympics. lol

Also Duncan was not the reason why Team USA got Bronze in Athens.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.usabasketball.com/news.ph...oly_preview_01

Preview >> USA Men vs. China

USA (0-0)
    China (0-0)

TV: Live, Aug. 10, 10:15 a.m. on NBC, NBC HD
    *All times listed are Eastern Daylight Time

A Little History
    Coming off a best-ever eighth place finish in the 2004 Olympics, a result they also accomplished in 1996, China automatically qualified for the 2008 Olympics as the host country. China and the USA have met four times in Olympic action, with the USA victorious in every matchup. The two teams last played in the Olympics in 2000, when the USA dispatched China 119-72, and met most recently in the 2006 FIBA World Championship, when the USA prevailed 121-90.

Featuring NBA stars such as 7'6" Yao Ming and 7'0" Yi Jianlian, China is looking to use it's home court advantage to improve on it's 10th place finish in the 2007 FIBA Asia Championship and a tied-for-ninth place showing at the 2006 FIBA World Championship. In 2006, Yao averaged 25.3 points and 9.0 rebounds per game in 32.5 minutes. Wang Shipeng averaged a team second best 11.5 points, and former NBAer Wang Zhizhi contributed 8.2 points per game. Liu Wei, who heads the Chinese offense dished 4.5 assists to go with his 8.2 points, and Yi added 6.2 points and 5.7 rebounds per game.

The Scouting Report

USA head coach Mike Krzyzewski

On playing China:
    For us, defensively we would like to continue the way we've been practicing. With Yao you play against the biggest man you're going to play against, so that wiill be a challenge. But overall, just not to complicate things. Lets get in the mood of the Olympics. Playing China will be an amazimg atmosphere, and I'm looking forward to our team doing that. I think when you're in a situation like this, you do try to not over coach. You have a simple game plan and let the guys feel the game, and that's what we're going to try to do.

On the team:
    Continuing our development as we move along is real important. We've had hard practices here in Beijing, and we said up until the time we started games it's still training camp. Now once we start the games, the pool play still gives us an opportunity to get better because we're still adding a few things, and we'll make adjustments depending on how we're playing. The games themselves are different than exhibition games, and my feeling is we'll see an even better team once the games start.

Tony, Ronzone, Director of International Player Personnel

What do we know about China?
    China is very big, and they are a team that will want to control the tempo against us. They are very turnover prone, and our pressure will cause them some problems. They will want to slow the game down, and they will try to force feed the post. They want the ball to Yao Ming every time. Yi Jianlian is another big kid and they have Wang Zhizhi as well. So they have three guys that have played in the NBA, and they are going to be experienced. Their goal is to pound it inside and limit their turnovers.
    If we stop Yao Ming and Yi Jianlian, is that enough to win the game?
    Yes, because they drop of at the point guard. They do have a kid, Liu Wei, who is a very talented player. He has played in the NBA summer league, so he's got some skill level. After that, they really drop off, and they play like a very young team. No back up point, and their wings are spotty shooters. So the key is their bigs. We really have to eliminate them force feeding the post. We need to do a good job on the defensive end and not try to gamble. That's the biggest thing for the entire tournament -- we can't gamble. We can't assume we can just take the ball from people because our opponents are much better now.

With China being big inside, what should be our offensive plan of attack?
    Our biggest thing is transition. If we can just rebound, we can beat them down the floor. Yao has had surgery, and he's not in great shape right now. Wang is not in great shape, so they don't get back too well. If we can just concentrate on rebounding, we'll get points in transition. And then in the half court set, if we just run our offense, we will beat them down eventually. But there is a reason these teams are here. Every team here is skilled, so we always have to respect their abilities.

Is China a team that is capable of playing above their skill level because of their home court advantage?
    No question. They were amid the final eight in the last Olympics, and they have a lot of pressure to finish better than that this time around. They are going to have the fans with them, and they just want to try to keep it close to have a chance to win at the end. They have a lot of momentum coming into these Olympics, and they cannot get beat by us by a large margin. For us it's better to play them first rather than later. I think they are only going to get more dangerous with each game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan, on that website you linked it said that the game will be played at 10:15 p.m. That means it will be on a 9:15 a.m. tomorrow morning right? If the Russia v. Iran game is 9:00 a.m. does that mean it will be on tonight at 8:00 p.m.?

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan would be way better than Boozer for team USA.

Showtime Lakers is a troll and should be ignored.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan, on that website you linked it said that the game will be played at 10:15 p.m. That means it will be on a 9:15 a.m. tomorrow morning right? If the Russia v. Iran game is 9:00 a.m. does that mean it will be on tonight at 8:00 p.m.?
    *All times listed are Eastern Daylight Time
    We're all going to have to do the math. I'm on the West Coast, there's the San Antonio base here on ST, and there's the base of posters we have from all over the world. It's way too much for me to figure out!

I think checking your local TV listings is the best idea.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I agree that if Team USA had Duncan, the Gold would be pretty much theirs.

It's to bad he hates international basketball.

Can't Start Threads
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's to bad he hates international basketball.
    i disagree, im very very happy timmy doesnt like international basketball, and i dont think i have to add my reasons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm amazed by the chorus of so-called "experts" who opine that USA is a shoo-in for the Gold.

These people have no clue about how international ball is played -- particularly the dramatic effect of the short three point line.

I would take the field against USA basketball any day -- I would be shocked if USA wins the Gold.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I disagree. I feel like Duncan's game isn't really suited for international play, which is more tightly called and less physical. Those FIBA refs allow almost no contact whatsoever. Would his addition improve Team USA? Sure, but no way is the gold medal a lock.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no doubt , the US team even without Duncan is still way better than our China team .

if we lose less than 25 points , it will sound like a good news to me.

btw, the game will be on at 10AM EST

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sunday August 10th, 10:15 AM EST
    Team USA vs. China
    Live on NBC

Tuesday August 12th, 8 AM EST
    Team USA vs. Angola
    Live on the USA Network at 8 AM

Thursday August 14th, 8 AM EST
    Team USA vs. Greece
    Live on the USA Network

Saturday August 16th, 10:15 AM EST
    Team USA vs. Spain
    Live on NBC

Monday August 18th, 8 AM EST
    Team USA vs. Germany
    Live on the USA Network

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good that we have chanel just for basketball so we get all bball coverage on internet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Duncan + 2004 Olympics = BRONZE
    In 2004, Duncan's presence was the main reason why they got the bronze instead of going home empty-handed. Despite foul trouble, he was the best player in the team, & arguably in the whole tournament.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's to bad he hates international basketball
    I don't think he HATES international basketball. More of being frustrated.

Sometimes I wonder if he watches the swimming compe ion which is my other favorite event of the Olympics(Go! Go! Phelps!!!).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree. I feel like Duncan's game isn't really suited for international play, which is more tightly called and less physical. Those FIBA refs allow almost no contact whatsoever. Would his addition improve Team USA? Sure, but no way is the gold medal a lock.
    He dominated the paint with ease back then when he was on the floor and was the best player on that team. Without him the US just jacked up 3 pointers.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Game starts in 15 min..who's watching?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeez, they just showed Kobe getting mobbed like a Rock Star by the Chinese fans. I can't believe he's more popular over there than...Yao Ming. What makes him so popular amongst the Chinese?

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    im watching~

Thread Information