San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now imagine there aren't conflict minerals in regular automobiles

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gas prices are, like bank fees, profit-making decisions

People driving gas guzzlers like SUVs and pickups.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Filled my tanks before this happened. Saw it coming.
    Hey you saved about $15? Nice work!

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which would make the savings twice as big... every time gas goes up it makes electric more appealing.

Hybrid is great too, great savings there as well, which also mitigate gas prices
    I still pay way too much @ 46-48 summer MPG / 39-42 winter MPG.

The Hybrid Camry (2020) advertises up to 54 MPG, but that's bull , that's only in perfect climate conditions and only going downhill and 50-65 MPH... anything 70 MPH and up is going to cost gas mileage. Cooler weather? Less gas mileage. Going uphill? That tank is gonna plummet. Get anything less than 87 at the pump (the standard is usually 85 for most western states)? That MPG is gonna plummet.

Gas prices are, like bank fees, profit-making decisions

People driving gas guzzlers like SUVs and pickups.
    I drive a Hybrid Camry and have paid over $8700 this year in gas alone...

Hybrids now also have EV only mode as well.
    yeah, you can go up to 22 MPH on EV only mode... works great for traversing parking lots, parking garages etc. but that's about it... if you hit the accelerator too hard, go over ~23 MPH, or the hybrid battery gets low, your EV only mode will die and you'll be back on full gas...
    Last edited by Millennial_Messiah; 10-22-2021 at 09:26 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Electric cars are still too expensive, and too inefficient. How am I supposed to drive from Texas to Michigan and back in a Tesla? Where are all the EV station ports I can go to along the interstates in order to charge my EV in less than 10 minutes?
    Maybe you could rub one out and make up another fantasy chick for ST while your car charged?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Hybrid Camry (2020) advertises up to 54 MPG, but that's bull , that's only in perfect climate conditions and only going downhill and 50-65 MPH... anything 70 MPH and up is going to cost gas mileage. Cooler weather? Less gas mileage. Going uphill? That tank is gonna plummet. Get anything less than 87 at the pump (the standard is usually 85 for most western states)? That MPG is gonna plummet.

sure dude

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe you could rub one out and make up another fantasy chick for ST while your car charged?

I don't travel just to "rub one out", tbh. I could do that any dumb old place. If I'm going out of state, I'm getting laid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They get charged by the grid, which is FUELED by something.
    a) more efficiently than combustion engines
    b) grids can also be more or less efficient depending on how much of a given grid's energy comes from sources less ty than coal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The grid is fueled by a lot of sources, including renewables. 1/3 of the grid here in California is fed by renewables, and the biggest contribution is from natural gas.

But even in the event of being supplied by dirty sources, the fact that you only need half the amount of energy to power the same engine with near zero emissions means substantial pollution reduction and better cost per energy unit.
    they will never acknowledge or address this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now, imagine everyone in California has EVs.
    would be a fantastic upgrade, environmentally

charge it at home using solar panels, power wall, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8700 bucks, divided by say... 3 bucks a gallon, is 2900 gallons. Times 43 miles per gallon and that is 124,700 miles.

Fiddle with some of the assumptions and that is still at least 90k miles.

Do a bit of calculating... 10 months with 22 workdays each... roughly 411 miles per workday, minimum

Not too far outside the realm of plausibility, but likely something of an exaggeration, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    would be a fantastic upgrade, environmentally

charge it at home using solar panels, power wall, etc
    Ran the numbers for how many panels it would take to provide the energy for a car, and it was quite a bit. Panels have gotten better, and the power wall could compensate a bit of that, charging during days where the car isn't driven.

Cool thing about solar panels: They don't wear out.

I think this is going to be my next vehicle scheme, i.e. powerwall/pv/EV

No more oil changes, or replacing transmissions, etc. A vastly simpler vehicle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still pay way too much @ 46-48 summer MPG / 39-42 winter MPG.

Because hybrid is not optimal. You're still using a combustion engine to turn gas into electricity. You do get some substantial savings though.

IIRC, the very absolute best combustion engine cars top out at 36-39 MPG (the latter being super small cars you likely wouldn't want to drive anyways) and you're also getting the quick refill convenience, so it's a middle ground.

yeah, you can go up to 22 MPH on EV only mode... works great for traversing parking lots, parking garages etc. but that's about it... if you hit the accelerator too hard, go over ~23 MPH, or the hybrid battery gets low, your EV only mode will die and you'll be back on full gas...
    The Prius can do up to 60-84 MPH (depending on the model), so this is really all about the particular car and battery configuration.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ran the numbers for how many panels it would take to provide the energy for a car, and it was quite a bit. Panels have gotten better, and the power wall could compensate a bit of that, charging during days where the car isn't driven.

Cool thing about solar panels: They don't wear out.

I think this is going to be my next vehicle scheme, i.e. powerwall/pv/EV

No more oil changes, or replacing transmissions, etc. A vastly simpler vehicle.
    i mean if you wanted to go 100% solar yeah its not feasible everywhere. but even if its just contributing... thats good enough. and yeah powerwalls are ideal because you charge up during the day when your car isn't home

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8700 bucks, divided by say... 3 bucks a gallon, is 2900 gallons. Times 43 miles per gallon and that is 124,700 miles.

Fiddle with some of the assumptions and that is still at least 90k miles.

Do a bit of calculating... 10 months with 22 workdays each... roughly 411 miles per workday, minimum

Not too far outside the realm of plausibility, but likely something of an exaggeration, IMO.
    411 miles per workday "not too far outside the realm of possibility"

what?

not to mention if he's actually tacking on 100k miles per year, even a few less MPG would add substantial cost

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i mean if you wanted to go 100% solar yeah its not feasible everywhere. but even if its just contributing... thats good enough. and yeah powerwalls are ideal because you charge up during the day when your car isn't home
    Not feasible everywhere, but it would practically eliminate one of the largest sources of CO2 emissions.

I would also make the value of the oil still in the ground plummet like a ing rock. Oil majors would take a huge asset write off at levels that would probably threaten their solvency, IMPO. Might be interesting to dig up a 10-k and test hypothesis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    411 miles per workday "not too far outside the realm of possibility"

what?
    My commute is 60 miles each way. 120 miles.

Some types of work drive for a living. 400 is not that far from the kinds of miles generated by those kinds of work. One or two long-haul trips for vacations would make that 400 per workday into 350. very feasible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My commute is 60 miles each way. 120 miles.

Some types of work drive for a living. 400 is not that far from the kinds of miles generated by those kinds of work. One or two long-haul trips for vacations would make that 400 per workday into 350. very feasible.
    a 60 mile commute is not that typical, and 400 miles per day is more than tripling that. and i think andy claimed to work in tech of sorts? not a job that would require distance driving

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Add in plans for next-gen Electric turbo prop planes:
    https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...future-propjet

Most intriguing twin engine turbo prop
    https://electrek.co/2021/07/01/eviat...nveiled-range/

Cool thing about this tech is the super-low operating costs, if it pans out. Could revolutionize short range commuter routes.

Even if they fall short, but just get close to their cost projections it will be a game changer. Small, very quiet short hop planes that need only tiny runways.

Unlike self-driving vehicles... self-flying planes are already flying.

Take out labor costs for pilots, and have a fraction of the maint. and fuel costs? holy balls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a 60 mile commute is not that typical, and 400 miles per day is more than tripling that. and i think andy claimed to work in tech of sorts? not a job that would require distance driving
    If it is driving from call to call over a wide area. 400 miles is too much on that basis.

Bookkeepers guess: his figure includes maintenance charges like oil changes. Shave out a some of the starting money from that calc, and miles per work day drop off the other end. if he is going by his CC statement and he forgot to take out drinks bought at the gas station or snacks...even more. He isn't lying, just not very careful with what he included. Sloppy, like most people when categorizing expenses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it is driving from call to call over a wide area. 400 miles is too much on that basis.

Bookkeepers guess: his figure includes maintenance charges like oil changes. Shave out a some of the starting money from that calc, and miles per work day drop off the other end. if he is going by his CC statement and he forgot to take out drinks bought at the gas station or snacks...even more. He isn't lying, just not very careful with what he included. Sloppy, like most people when categorizing expenses.
    the best guess is he's talking out of his ass like he always does, and its pathological. just put him on ignore

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That pump needs a sticker

$3.29/gallon gas, wow, better go invade another Middle Eastern country I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the right-wing propaganda machine made money convincing me that gas prices were somehow too high, and I am not smart enough to realize I am getting played for
    fool
    um... ok.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the latest outrage de jour. Right wing media makes a -ton of money ginning up outrage, because facts and reasoned takes are boring.

I follow a few conservative groups on facebook, and thumb through fox "news" every few days. Always easy to see what ducks or Dupeboi will be posting about before they post it. Gas-prices popped up a week or so ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't get it either, tbh, the first to benefit from these prices are the shale areas like in Texas. Gives work to Americans as well.

I remember when these guys were all about energy independence...

Thread Information