Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Pop moves on to coach the Nets next season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't want to coach KD lol okayyy

Kyrie and KD fired him. They'll hire a coach of their choosing.

Coaching is getting less and less relevant as all teams have the same schemes offensively and defensively, everyone plays the same way, have the same plays, the same counters, the same style. The only thing a coach is good for is player development but that's rarely important for contending teams.
    It was a good call by Kenny. Both are selfish head cases and the team will be average not great. Good call to get out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atkinson was going to be the scape goat for them next season when they struggle anyways, his days were always numbered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a good call by Kenny. Both are selfish head cases and the team will be average not great. Good call to get out.
    I agree. KD will only play in 60 games max next season and even then he won’t play more than 25 minutes a game. Remember when Rudy Gay first came back? He played good some games and bad other games bc of his injury. It’ll be the same thing for KD. Anybody expecting the Nets to contend next year are way off base imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't want to coach KD lol okayyy

Kyrie and KD fired him. They'll hire a coach of their choosing.

Coaching is getting less and less relevant as all teams have the same schemes offensively and defensively, everyone plays the same way, have the same plays, the same counters, the same style. The only thing a coach is good for is player development but that's rarely important for contending teams.
    Kyrie wants Lue.

Just taking the temperature for now: Jacques Vaughn is taking over as interim HC for the rest of the season in BK, but has very little chance of retaining the position. Would peeps here be OK with him as a potential Spurs hire next year? He has Spurs pedigree, and previous HC experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyrie wants Lue.

Just taking the temperature for now: Jacques Vaughn is taking over as interim HC for the rest of the season in BK, but has very little chance of retaining the position. Would peeps here be OK with him as a potential Spurs hire next year? He has Spurs pedigree, and previous HC experience.
    I don't care if the Coyote coaches the Spurs. Anybody is better than Gregg Flopovich.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He never struck me as that great of a coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    College coaches normally can’t make the adjustment to not holding the power on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    College coaches normally can’t make the adjustment to not holding the power on the team.
    Lets see if you can get this one Porky without googling.

only coach to lead teams to the NCAA, NIT and NBA finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #3 on Kansas

Can the Selfoviches hang on?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't believe that -3 NC got that good a look for the final three attempt.
    But i've given up on BBIQ at NCAA and pro level.

Great comeback by the Selfoviches.
    I still think that KU center can be a bench guy in the NBA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's Larry Brown, no?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And how long did Larry stay at each stop? Two years? Three? I don’t think we’re looking for a short term solution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's Larry Brown, no?
    Fred Schaus

Similar to Stan Albeck, Fred Schaus didn't coach many years in the NBA, but he was a consistent winner when he did. Unlike Albeck, Schaus took charge at his alma mater to begin his head coaching career rather than end it.

Schaus starred as a player at West Virginia and spent five years on the court with the Fort Wayne Pistons and New York Knicks. After his retirement, Schaus headed home to coach the Mountaineers.

WVU reached the NCAA tournament in each of Schaus' six seasons there, but his greatest accomplishment may have been luring in-state star Jerry West to Morgantown. The Mountaineers lost only 12 games over West's three varsity seasons, reaching the 1959 national championship game.

When West left for the NBA, so did Schaus. The two were reunited in Los Angeles, preparing to lead the newly relocated Minneapolis Lakers. The seven years Schaus and West spent together in L.A. were consistently strong, yet never truly dominant. The Lakers recorded only two 50-win seasons, but reached four NBA Finals.

Schaus headed upstairs in 1967, becoming the Lakers' general manager. There, he set about assembling a team that could finally win a championship. Schaus made deals to acquire Wilt Chamberlain, Gail Goodrich and Happy Hairston while drafting Jim McMillian. The four would form the nucleus of the 1972 NBA championship team.

With ring in hand, Schaus went back to college coaching, heading to Purdue University. His success at Purdue was not as spectacular as at WVU, but he still won 104 games in six years. The Boilermakers won the 1974 NIT and made the NCAA tournament in 1977. Schaus was responsible for recruiting Purdue icons like Walter Jordan, Eugene Parker and Joe Barry Carroll.

For his career, Schaus' winning percentages were .563 in the NBA and .720 in college. He remains the only coach to lead teams to the NCAA, NIT and NBA finals.

For more from Scott on college basketball, check out The Back Iron. Coming soon: the 32 in 32 conference preview series.

Follow @4QuartersRadio

need to scroll down.
    The Best NBA Coaches Who Got Their Starts in College Basketball | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You never hear Fred Schaus brought up in Laker history.

"Schaus guided the Lakers to seven consecutive playoff appearances, including 4 Western Conference Championships[2] in 5 years (1962, 1963, 1965 and 1966)"

Thread Information